• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot take: PS2 had a better selection of platformers than most Nintendo systems

Talking strictly platformers, chief. My top 10 of all time wouldn't be 80% Nintendo, that's for sure.

Well there 'ya go; your tastes are focused on platformers so of course Nintendo would take tops. I'm not as enthused with platformers as you probably are (tho I do like a fair number of them), which evens out prospects of their systems and output vs. Sony's.

Like I said, Nintendo arguably has more pure heavy-hitters legacy-wise than Sony, but I'm considering a ton of factors there like impact to gaming and so forth. Nintendo's got Mario Bros., Super Metroid, Mario 64, Pokemon etc. while Sony's got Parappa (1st super-impactful rhythm game), Gran Turismo, TLOU and so on.

Puscifer

And that has anything to do with the conversation because?
It's all quality. All of it. I like my Nintendo too but these games deserved way more credit than people gave em

We are talking about platformers sir

Just saying that because of the variety of games on PS2 it would make sense that it had better platformers than a Nintendo console that isn't built to be a mascot machine. Shit, infamous 2 and Second Sun are some of my favorite platformers.

Unknown?

Mate, Mario practically invented the 3D platform template.

Ape escape is great game but its the Monkeys compared to the Mario Beatles. Its not even close.
Yeah it practically did, but Ape Escape improved upon it. It actually is embarrassing how much Ape Escape 2 makes Sunshine look like a generic, boring knockoff.

clarky

Gold Member
Well there 'ya go; your tastes are focused on platformers so of course Nintendo would take tops. I'm not as enthused with platformers as you probably are (tho I do like a fair number of them), which evens out prospects of their systems and output vs. Sony's.

Like I said, Nintendo arguably has more pure heavy-hitters legacy-wise than Sony, but I'm considering a ton of factors there like impact to gaming and so forth. Nintendo's got Mario Bros., Super Metroid, Mario 64, Pokemon etc. while Sony's got Parappa (1st super-impactful rhythm game), Gran Turismo, TLOU and so on.
We are in a thread talking about platformers?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Sure, but this thread is about platformers, not the other genres.

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah it practically did, but Ape Escape improved upon it. It actually is embarrassing how much Ape Escape 2 makes Sunshine look like a generic, boring knockoff.
Sunshine is probably the worst Mario there is, so not really that embarrassing?

If your only claim to fame is your better than the worst of your competition then well done i suppose

Last edited:

elhav

Prince of Persia speed run:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma speed run:

EiEMcoK.gif

SpiceRacz

Some of you are mentioning games that aren't even platformers. Ratchet & Clank, Jak 2 & 3, and Sly are action-adventure games. Same with Prince of Persia Sands of Time. Earthworm Jim (lol) is a run & gun game. Ninja Gaiden Sigma (fucking LOL) I don't need to explain that one.

clarky

Gold Member
Some of you are mentioning games that aren't even platformers. Ratchet & Clank, Jak 2 & 3, and Sly are action-adventure games. Same with Prince of Persia Sands of Time. Earthworm Jim (lol) is a run & gun game. Ninja Gaiden Sigma (fucking LOL) I don't need to explain that one.
Might as well bring Starfield into it at this point.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I don't really agree since SMB 3 and World, DKC 1-3 and Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Island and SM64 exist which are better than most of the ones listed on the OP.
Those are from many different systems. I am citing how PS2 had like 15+ different cult classics and most of them were bangers. Nintendo games are quality but there's not many Nintendo systems where you can find that many amazing platformers on one system besides NES, SNES, Switch and now that I think of it, GBA.

SpiceRacz

Those are from many different systems. I am citing how PS2 had like 15+ different cult classics and most of them were bangers. Nintendo games are quality but there's not many Nintendo systems where you can find that many amazing platformers on one system besides NES, SNES, Switch and now that I think of it, GBA.

The majority of those aren't platformers and I don't think most people would describe them as "amazing."

elhav

Out of all of the games you mentioned, the only game that doesn't have "platformer" in its genre description is Ninja gaiden sigma. They're all viable examples. Obviously Mario games are purer platformers, but come on now

nial

Gold Member
Gotcha, I didn't find your take to be crazy or something like that anyway lol.

SpiceRacz

Out of all of the games you mentioned, the only game that doesn't have "platformer" in its genre description is Ninja gaiden sigma. They're all viable examples. Obviously Mario games are purer platformers, but come on now

They're basically all action-adventure games with platforming elements. That does not make them platformers. Action-adventure is an entirely separate genre of games. If you're going to stretch the definition of "platformer", you may as well include God of War, Rygar, Shinobi, Castlevania Lament of Innocence, etc. Those games are closer to the ones that were listed than they are to Mario, Banjo, and actual platformer games.

clarky

Gold Member

there's not many playstation systems where you can find that many amazing platformers on one system besides playstation 1,2,3&4, and now that I think of it, PSP.

Solidus_T

PS2 is the greatest system of all time. A lot of the games we still play today are PS2 games that have been ported over.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They're basically all action-adventure games with platforming elements. That does not make them platformers. Action-adventure is an entirely separate genre of games. If you're going to stretch the definition of "platformer", you may as well include God of War, Rygar, Shinobi, Castlevania Lament of Innocence, etc. Those games are closer to the ones that were listed than they are to Mario, Banjo, and actual platformer games.
But by your definition no game series beside Mario and Banjo would count as a platformer series. And genre mixes do exist.

clarky

Gold Member
But by your definition no game series beside Mario and Banjo would count as a platformer series. And genre mixes do exist.

A platform game to me means the main way to progress is by jumping and landing skillfully on platforms and enemies

Your hot take never mentioned pretty much every other videogame in existence that has a surface to walk and land on.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
A platform game to me means the main way to progress is by jumping and landing skillfully on platforms.
You can't progress in any of the games I listed without hitting the jump button at least once. Also not many other genres give you a dedicated jump button.

Plus Banjo isn't necessarily about jumping or landing skillfully on platforms as much as it is collecting stuff and exploring the landscape, same for Conker, metroid, and Spyro. But those games are all still platformers.

clarky

Gold Member
You can't progress in any of the games I listed without hitting the jump button at least once. Also not many other genres give you a dedicated jump button.

Plus Banjo isn't necessarily about jumping or landing skillfully on platforms as much as it is collecting stuff and exploring the landscape, same for Conker, metroid, and Spyro. But those games are all still platformers.
Dude you cant progress in FIFA without jumping at least once

By that definition the only game inexhistance that isnt a platformer is NHL '23

Im convinced your very very high at this point.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Dude you cant progress in fifa without jumping.

What? I've never played fifa before so I don't even get this.

The games I listed have heavy platforming elements and there's still no denying that, you just have to play them.

elhav

Dude you cant progress in FIFA without jumping at least once

By that definition the only game inexhistance that isnt a platformer is NHL '23

You and Spiceracz are really grasping for straws here. I get that you think Nintendo platformers are better than those he mentioned, but most people will consider them (even partially) platformers, so they fit the discussion and are valid.

Look at some of the lists of best platformers out there and you'll find prince of persia, Ratchet and clank, Jak and even Earthworm Jim.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
You and Spiceracz are really grasping for straws here. I get that you think Nintendo platformers are better than those he mentioned, but most people will consider them (even partially) platformers, so they fit the discussion and are valid.

Look at some of the lists of best platformers out there and you'll find prince of persia, Ratchet, Jak and even Earthworm Jim.
Hahaaha yeah your smoking crack as well.

Zannegan

Psychonauts is godlike, IMO, but not for it's platforming. Same goes for the three exclusives, for the most part. That aside, though Rachet, Jak, and Sly are all high quality franchises, I don't know that your list would push the PS2 above any Nintendo system in their pet genre let alone most of them.

With that said, Sony was so dominant that generation that if there were a system that schooled Nintendo on its own playground, it would be the PS2.

SpiceRacz

I said most of the games you (and others) mentioned are closer to God of War, Rygar, Shinobi, Castlevania Lament of Innocence, etc. than they are to Banjo or Mario. It's just pointing out the obvious. Crash, Spyro, Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom, Sonic Adventure, are other examples of actual platformer games.

You should consider changing the title of the thread to "PS2 had a better selection of action-adventure games than most Nintendo systems." That would actually make sense. Right now, we're veering into "Zelda is an RPG" territory.

elhav

Hahaaha yeah your smoking crack as well.

See this list? See how Ratchet and clank, Earthworm Jim and Prince of persia are there? I guess the guy who wrote it is on crack as well

94tNPu9.png

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Here is your definition of a platform game:
That's not to say that any game with a jump is automatically a platformer. It's to say that if you want to beat the game you need to make heavy use of jumping.

The level design and a portion of the gameplay is tailored around being airborne and making jumps.
You get power ups to assist you in your jumping. There are puzzles where you need to utilize said jumping. Etc. There are entire platforming challenges found in these areas too.

clarky

Gold Member
That's not to say that any game with a jump is automatically a platformer. It's to say that if you want to beat the game you need to make heavy use of jumping.

The level design and a portion of the gameplay is tailored around being airborne and making jumps.
You get power ups to assist you in your jumping. There are puzzles where you need to utilize said jumping. Etc. There are entire platforming challenges found in these areas too.

Make your mind up.

Lets call it: Your topics a bust. Time to cut your losses.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Psychonauts towers over Nintendo's catalogue. The amount of ideas in a single world of Psychonauts is more than an entire game by Nintendo.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

I didn't finish the game because of its awful controls and platforming. I dare anyone play that game today and then SM Sunshine and tell me that it feels better to play. Sunshine sucks but it still has better platforming than Psychonauts trash.

Top Bottom