• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards - Season 2 on Netflix - *Spoilers for all of S2*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how you guys thought it was obvious. What was obvious was that Frank took a liking to Meechum. However, my first thought wasn't anything sexual. It's normal for political leaders to be close to their right-hand man. I just thought it was male bonding. Maybe Meechum was going to take a bullet for Frank after an assassination attempt and Frank would feel sad? That seemed more likely than what actually happened.

I actually wasn't sure about that season 1 hint of Frank being bisexual (until the Meechum threesome). But, just because Frank is bi doesn't mean that he has to screw everything around him. This Meechum thing seems too dangerous. It would have made more sense for Frank to hire a male prostitute if all he wanted was dick. Maybe it'll seem less pointless and we'll know what he really wanted in season 3. However, the fact that we don't have an answer now is unfortunate for this season.

someday

Banned
I don't know how you guys thought it was obvious. What was obvious was that Frank took a liking to Meechum. However, my first thought wasn't anything sexual. It's normal for political leaders to be close to their right-hand man. I just thought it was male bonding. Maybe Meechum was going to take a bullet for Frank after an assassination attempt and Frank would feel sad? That seemed more likely than what actually happened.

I actually wasn't sure about that season 1 hint of Frank being bisexual (until the Meechum threesome). But, just because Frank is bi doesn't mean that he has to screw everything around him. This Meechum thing seems too dangerous. It would have made more sense for Frank to hire a male prostitute if all he wanted was dick. Maybe it'll seem less pointless and we'll know what he really wanted in season 3. However, the fact that we don't have an answer now is unfortunate for this season.
I was surprised by the threesome but not upset by it. I will say that fucking the journalist last season (RIP her beautiful soul) was more dangerous than fucking Meechum this season. And prostitutes talk so that would have been stupid too. Meechum has proven some loyalty to them both so I can see him being a safer sexual partner.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Finished it a 3 weeks ago but never posted my thoughts.

Found S2 to be a huge downgrade from S1. The entire thing with Tusk was boring and not interesting. Was hoping that Frank would actually develop into an actual character, but nope. He's still just a psychopath who bull dozes over everyone by outsmarting them.

A show that has a really flashy outer layer, but one with no depth, no interesting characters
RIP Russo
and a terrible, forced southern accent. When it gets nominated for more Emmy's than Rectify and Hannibal combined later this year....well.

I actually don't think S2 is that much different to S1. Neither are deep or profound in any way. Both are vehicles for Underwood/Spacey. The one difference between the two is that Corey Stoll put in a great performance that gave the appearance of nuance to the programme - he made the character more than just a chess piece. S2 didn't have that stand-out, contrasting performance.

Dabanton

The thing is he doesn't screw everything, he seems to fuck to have power and control over someone like he did with Zoe. He did the same thing with Meechum but in a more subtle way. Meechum had proved he was absolutely loyal to Frank and Claire. Less chance of him ever talking. And if he ever did how ludicrous would it sound? The president and first lady seduced me.

Also a prostitute would be something I can never see Frank falling for it opens himself up to blackmail.

Grudy

I'm going to try and avoid as much spoilers as possible but I just had to ask. I'm currently on the 7th episode of season 2 and I have no clue about what's going on. What's the problem between US and China? Why are air conditioners suddenly so expensive? What is going on between Frank and Raymond Tusk? Last thing I remember is Raymond agreeing to give subsidiaries or something? I'm really lost v_v

Help me Gaf.

Enker

I'm going to try and avoid as much spoilers as possible but I just had to ask. I'm currently on the 7th episode of season 2 and I have no clue about what's going on. What's the problem between US and China? Why are air conditioners suddenly so expensive? What is going on between Frank and Raymond Tusk? Last thing I remember is Raymond agreeing to give subsidiaries or something? I'm really lost v_v

Help me Gaf.

It is more expensive to operate air conditioners because Raymond has to pay more for the fuel to run his power plants (as it comes from China), so the price for electricity goes up by the equivalent amount because he has the right to earn a profit. Normal supply and demand economics.

If he didn’t raise the cost, he’d be subsidizing the cost of power out of his own pocket. In an extreme case, the plants would become unprofitable and would need to shut down, putting people out of work. But, if electricity costs rise a lot the poor have a hard time paying for it, and you don’t want to go without AC in the summer, it’s a health risk. So, you can see why the White House would get involved.

Grudy

It is more expensive to operate air conditioners because Raymond has to pay more for the fuel to run his power plants (as it comes from China), so the price for electricity goes up by the equivalent amount because he has the right to earn a profit. Normal supply and demand economics.

If he didn’t raise the cost, he’d be subsidizing the cost of power out of his own pocket. In an extreme case, the plants would become unprofitable and would need to shut down, putting people out of work. But, if electricity costs rise a lot the poor have a hard time paying for it, and you don’t want to go without AC in the summer, it’s a health risk. So, you can see why the White House would get involved.
You're a life saver. Thanks a bunch! Now I can get back to enjoying the rest of the episode ^^

Sami+

Just finished rushing through both seasons. Season 2 was enjoyable, but I agree with what many others here are saying in that it didn't have the nuance that Season 1 did - perhaps because of the new writers. It felt a lot more messy and all over the place, and I never really felt "hooked" like I was to S1. I kept waiting for the big climactic storyline to arrive, but it felt like it never did.

It's nice to see Frank gain the presidency, though. Hopefully the next season will be more exciting as a result.

I finally got around to season 2 and fucking loved it. The thing with Franks sexuality was alluded to in season 1 and I like how they just said fuck it and went with it on season 2. Not a lot of shows push that and I'm glad they took a chance.

For those saying they didn't like this season as much, I watched this in two days. Which was a lot faster than the first season. I enjoyed all the twists and turns and season three should be fucking epic.

dLMN8R

Funny that the most unrealistic part of this show is that the American People are actually protesting something enough that the government has to care about it

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Just finished watching Season 1 & 2 over the past few months and have to say that it's pretty damn good. The only thing I didn't like about Season 2 compared to Season 1 is that manipulating the media angle is gone. I'm also wondering what is going to be the goal this season or if they are going to start his downfall.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Just finished watching Season 1 & 2 over the past few months and have to say that it's pretty damn good. The only thing I didn't like about Season 2 compared to Season 1 is that manipulating the media angle is gone. I'm also wondering what is going to be the goal this season or if they are going to start his downfall.

It has to be the start of his downfall. Frank has been completely untouchable for two season.

Jvzvdw5.jpg

Wasteman

Banned
I think a powerful downfall with Season 3 being the final one would end it perfectly. Frank to get a taste of ultimate power only for it slip away sending him into a psychotic fit of rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom