• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you enjoying Switch platformers?

The Hermit

Blaster Master was a decent game but the reason I recommend it is for the HD Rumble.

It made me a believer, it feels really good.

Entering and exiting water is the most surprising one

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Blaster Master was a decent game but the reason I recommend it is for the HD Rumble.

Mighty Gunvolt Burst also has great HD Rumble. There are secret walls in the stages and it will rumble on the left or right joy-con depending where the secret is in the screen (left side of screen has a secret, the left joy-con will pulse slowly and then faster as you get closer).

Cuburt

I've been playing multiple games with Joycon buttons (Shantae, Shovel Knight, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Master Blaster Zero, etc) holding them separated from the console, and I think people have been making a mountain out of a molehill.

They work fine to great for most platformers due to you really only using Left and Right for movement and they are extra responsive/clicky due to being regular buttons instead of a d-pad which inherently have a little squish. If you want a responsive experience (which is what most seem to complain about 99% of the time), these are the preferred way to play over the Pro Controller d-pad (which unfortunately could be a little less accurate than I'd like occasionally with registering directions other than what I pressed) and analog sticks.

The caveat for that statement for me is that diagonals are awkward and any game you are likely to quickly rock your thumb between two directions or more, it doesn't feel great to attempt to do that with just buttons. In those cases, I may Switch to an analog on a joycon.

I definitely get the desire for a d-pad in the base console, and I wish Nintendo would have figured out a better solution for a device that is supposed to be a hybrid (like a hybrid of a d-pad and buttons) but I find that while I love to just the Pro Controller for many games, as more and more 2d sidescrollers/platformers come out, I find myself using the Joycons with the d-buttons the most.

Bydobob

Only have Wonderboy and Shovel Knight from the list and I'm using D-pad. Analogue would keep registering unintentional upward presses. It found me quite a few secret doors in Wonderboy but was quite annoying in Shovel Knight when walking past NPCs and triggering a conversation.

Mark1

Let me answer this when Sonic Mania rolls onto my Switch next month 😉

Otherwise it's not really been a platforming machine for me, mainly Zelda and MK.

Opa-Pa

It really is kinda ridiculous how good the HD rumble is in Blaster Master Zero. It's the first and only game that has really made a difference for me, the feedback is pretty awesome and unlike anything I've felt before.

VanWinkle

Haven't played any except Wonder Boy, sadly. Kinda crazy when you think about it, having to wait seven months after launch to play a Nintendo developed platformer.

I'll probably buy Rayman Legends once it goes down in price. One of my favorite platformers ever, but I already bought it on Vita and on PS4.

Oh how I wish Spelunky was on there.

Haven't played any except Wonder Boy, sadly. Kinda crazy when you think about it, having to wait seven months after launch to play a Nintendo developed platformer.

I'll probably buy Rayman Legends once it goes down in price. One of my favorite platformers ever, but I already bought it on Vita and on PS4.

Oh how I wish Spelunky was on there.

Yea it is weird how much Nintendo focused on multiplayer this time around. No 2D Nintendo platformer in it's first year it's looking like.

Yea it is weird how much Nintendo focused on multiplayer this time around. No 2D Nintendo platformer in it's first year it's looking like.

Wii U is the only Nintendo platform to receive a 2D Mario platformer in its first year since the SNES (and many platforms never received one).

Edit - GBA received the SMB2 USA remake. My bad on that one.

heringer

Really? I hated the HD Rumble in that game. So much that I disabled it.

VanWinkle

I'd rather Nintendo take their time and give us something great. A new 2D Mario is certainly in the works.

Well yeah, but I mean, putting a 2D platformer out in the launch window doesn't automatically mean "release a rush job." It would have been nice to see a great 2D platformer in the launch window and it's a little surprising they didn't. That's all.

I do hope that their eventually 2D Mario will really mix it up art style wise. Games like Rayman Legends and DKC:TF have shown how good sidescrolling platformers can look, so they need to up their game MAJORLY.

This may sound crazy, but coming from a hardcore Mega Man 2 fanboy... I think it's the 3rd best Mega Man game out there.
#1 MM2
#2 MM9
#3 Mighty Gunvolt Burst
#4 MM3
#5 MM8
... all the others are behind them.

That's how much I like it. And I'm coming from playing the game on Hard Mode with no weapon upgrades: this game has EXCELLENT stage design and it shows. The boss patterns are way better (less RNG) than most of the classic Mega Mans, less frustrating, and very forgiving (unlimited lives, lots of check points, health items). I think this gam is VERY beginner friendly to Mega Man games and hardcore enough for classic fans. It's truly a Mega Man for everyone. Granted, not every LIKES Mega Man games, that's fine. If you have ever enjoyed a NES Mega Man game before, this is such a no brainer. It's for you. It's also $10. It's the best value to price ratio since Shovel Knight.

Interesting.

Been eyeing this one for a bit.

Dragons trap was pretty decent no matter what config I used the system in. Split controller gaming is heaven though.

Well yeah, but I mean, putting a 2D platformer out in the launch window doesn't automatically mean "release a rush job." It would have been nice to see a great 2D platformer in the launch window and it's a little surprising they didn't. That's all.

I do hope that their eventually 2D Mario will really mix it up art style wise. Games like Rayman Legends and DKC:TF have shown how good sidescrolling platformers can look, so they need to up their game MAJORLY.

It probably would have been rushed though, because a lot of the 2D Mario team likely worked on Super Mario Maker and that game released 18 months before the Switch launch. These games take time.

I also think Nintendo didn't want a repeat of Wii U, which launched with a 2D game and might have hurt perception of the system. They likely want the next 2D Mario to really stand out.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
What is cave story? Can anyone give a quick synopsis?

• A 2D platformer/side-scroller/shooter.
  • You can scroll left to right like Metroid - but nowhere near the kind of backtracking like those games. The thing you need to progress is in the same area you are in, just go back or climb a little way to find it.
  • Jump physics like Super Metroid, very floaty. Hold the jump button to float more or tap for quick jumps.
  • Shoots like Super Metroid game... except you can't aim on the diagonals, just the cardinal directions. You mash that button, or hold it, with different gun types like Metroid/Contra/Metal Slug/Gunstar. I thought the enemies, bullet speed were much faster than Metroid as well, more in line of other 2D Shoot'em ups.
  • It's challenging, you WILL die but save points are pretty generous and you never have to retread ground very much.

So it's like Metroid in the way you fire your weapon, jump, and scroll the screen up/down/left/right. But not in the area of exploration... it's linear and there's definitely a path for you to follow.

... The thing I disliked the most were the jump physics, I'm more of a Mega Man/Shovel Knight type of guy. I did enjoy the challenge of the game a lot, you have to learn, brute forcing your way through situations is never going to work. I also liked that you didn't have to backtrack or spend a lot of time searching for the thing you need to progress, it's always in the same area and you just need to explore it a bit.

I felt that $30 was a bit steep, but like I mentioned, you get an extra Challenges/Missions mode, complete with online leaderboards, and that's pretty cool. No other game found in this thread has that, and if you buy physical you get a CD soundtrack and a very cool NES style instructional booklet. Overall the game wasn't for me (I lean more towards NES Castlevania and Mega Man and away from 2D Metroid games) , but if everything I described sounds up your alley, then I would recommend it, even for $30.

Switch is now my primary console for 2D platformers. Mostly due to this:

2G9ncHX.png

Perfection.

It would be so lit if Nintendo released some official ones, lol.

Amneisac

I personally find handheld mode pretty uncomfortable for most platformers. I love the pro controller, but most of my playing is done in handheld mode before bed.

OmegaFax

I personally find handheld mode pretty uncomfortable for most platformers. I love the pro controller, but most of my playing is done in handheld mode before bed.

Same. Just bought a Pro Controller though. Cave Story is a pain in the ass to play with the Joy-Con's face button style "d-pad".

I thought ARMS of all games was the most uncomfortable to play with a Joy-Con grip. The corners of the actual Joy-Cons dug into my palms.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
With the quality of the 8bitdo's I don't even care. Such a great experience.

I read in the 8bitdo OT that the diagonals were not good and people were saying it wasn't a good D-Pad? Is everyone talking about the same 8bitdo, or is the NES one the one with a bad D-pad?

Despite being a big 2D platformer player, on the Switch I've only tried the Blaster Master Zero demo so far, specifically to get a handle on the control scheme. (Already have Shovel Knight on the Wii U, and not much else appeals so far.)

D-pad buttons on split Joy-Cons are... adequate, but I find that I have to hold the left Joy-Con quite low in order to give my thumb enough distance to travel comfortably, so this comes at the expense of easy access to L/ZL. (That is, I definitely wouldn't find it appealing to play VC ports of the 2D Metroid games like this.) In handheld this isn't so bad as you can grip the unit loosely, in such a way that the Joy-Cons don't fall against your palms. Even so, for long play sessions it's easy for this to fall into the same kind of scrunching that made it uncomfortable to play platformers for very long on the 3DS. The D-pad buttons are just too low.

This is why I keep saying that if they ever release a Joy-Con (L) with a traditional D-pad, the D-pad shouldn't replace the current D-pad buttons. It should replace the left stick. That would be ideal.

I enjoy the Switch pseudo-D-pad buttons quite a lot in Puyo Puyo Tetris, but the movements there are a lot more discrete than in a platformer, and buttons actually make more sense there than a D-pad would. The opposite is true for a 2D side-scroller where you need rapid movement.

That said, in the Wii U era, side-scrollers like Rayman Legends, DKCTF, and Yoshi's Woolly World moved towards design paradigms that were more about broad environmental interaction than the same kind of block-by-block precision of a 2D Mario game, making them at least bearable with an analogue stick. I expect first-party platformers like the new Kirby and Yoshi to follow this lead, but we'll need a better D-pad solution when 2D Mario, Mario Maker, or VC show up, even if it's just in the form of a Pro Controller manufacturing run that fixes the widely reported issues with erroneous D-pad input. And if we don't get anything of that sort, I guess I'm in the market for an 8bitdo.

So it's like Metroid in the way you fire your weapon, jump, and scroll the screen up/down/left/right. But not in the area of exploration... it's linear and there's definitely a path for you to follow.

I thoroughly disliked Cave Story when I played it on the 3DS, but sometimes I wonder how much of that had to do with the game itself, and how much of it was due to the extent to which everybody misled me to expect something that even remotely resembled Metroid. I might have to give it another chance on its own terms someday.

This happened with SteamWorld Dig and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse as well, and those were games I liked quite a bit. People kept comparing them to Metroid for some reason, and all that told me in the end was that an awful lot of players these days have no bloody idea what Metroid is and that you can't just slap that label on any side-scroller with a ranged attack.

Shovel Knight was my first switch game and Switch is my first Shovel Knight port. Absolutely in love. The ending also somehow drove both my wife and myself to tears. Was not expecting that.

molnizzle

I read in the 8bitdo OT that the diagonals were not good and people were saying it wasn't a good D-Pad? Is everyone talking about the same 8bitdo, or is the NES one the one with a bad D-pad?

People are dumb, I dunno. It feels like a brand new SNES d-pad to me. Stiff at first and "breaks in" over time. If you handed it to me with a blindfold on I wouldn't be able to tell you if it was a real SNES d-pad or not.

Shovel Knight was my first switch game and Switch is my first Shovel Knight port. Absolutely in love. The ending also somehow drove both my wife and myself to tears. Was not expecting that.

Yeah, the Shovel Knight game and expansions have surprisingly great stories. Simple but very effective.

HorseFD

I recently got an 8bitdo NES30 Pro and playing Shovel Knight with that thing feels perfect. I'm playing Spectre of Torment for the first time, and I might be enjoying it even more than the original campaign.

Gonner is a really fun game, but I find that I have to play it in short bursts or I get too frustrated by constantly dying. This game seems a perfect fit for the Switch, especially in portable mode, because it lends itself to short play times.

I also really enjoyed Shantae, but having never playeed a Shantae game before I can't compare it to the others. The artwork was was really bright and lively, and the music is amazing.

brinstar

They have paid online to try to sell folks next year so I think they want to establish a multiplayer base on the system quick

Not to be negative but I think all of these platformers aside Shovel Knight and Cave Story (both of which have been available for a long time), are pretty mediocre.

I'd rather play something like Rayman Legends, or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. I'm not really interested in playing games I've either played before, or are what I see as relatively middle of the road.

From what I've used of the analogue stick, it seems fine. I think Shantae is analog only? It controls just fine. The D-PAD is bad, but not bad enough that it makes a huge difference. Not as bad as playing a platformer on an XBOX ONE.

heringer

Not to be negative but I think all of these platformers aside Shovel Knight and Cave Story (both of which have been available for a long time), are pretty mediocre.

I'd rather play something like Rayman Legends, or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. I'm not really interested in playing games I've either played before, or are what I see as relatively middle of the road.

From what I've used of the analogue stick, it seems fine. I think Shantae is analog only? It controls just fine. The D-PAD is bad, but not bad enough that it makes a huge difference. Not as bad as playing a platformer on an XBOX ONE.

The d-pad on the Xbox One is bad? I thought they had fixed that since the 360 controller.

KingV

I have all but Gonner and even though I thought I would need the pro controller for 2D platformers I have barely used it.

The analogs are totally fine!

I think that side scrollers on switch benefit from the analog having a little less travel than on the other consoles.

I like the switch controllers more than I thought i would actually.

I hit a brick wall with Cave Story, its infuriating.

Gonner- I CANNOT STOP PLAYING- it's so up my alley with all the secrets and nuances. It's a Souls Spelunky, not as good as either of them, but it is an excellent game.

I'm a big fan of 2d platformers, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on any for Switch yet.

Cave Story is fantastic, but I already played the free PC version. Shovel Knight is good, but I already have it on 3DS. Gunvolt Burst looks decent and worth considering.

Right now I'm just looking forward to Sonic Mania and Hollow Knight. And hoping for a Tropical Freeze port.

What does the Vita version have over the Switch one?
The greatest D pad of all time and an OLED screen.

Plus on a pure handheld level, the Vita absolutely feels more comfortable to me than the Switch does. The Switch is by no means a bad handheld, but it doesn't come near to the comfort of a dedicated one like the Vita.

Chris FOM

I got one for 2D platformers and love it. Far better than the D-pad on either the joycons or pro controller (admittedly I've got a pro controller with the D-pad issues). That said I've been using it for 2D platformers only and diagonals aren't used much anyway, so it might have an issue with them that I'm simply not picking up on due to game selection.

TYRiAX

Loving the amount of platformers on the switch - and surprised how little I care about using the joycon analogue stick, I totally assumed I would hate it for platforming...

Azriell

I use the direction buttons sometimes and I think it works ok. I think it depends on what part of your thumb you use for dpads. Using the tip of my thumb sucks on Switch, but using the pad feels pretty good.

I think the stick works well enough though. Probably because it's a small stick with short travel. I switch back and forth between stick and buttons quite a bit, actually.

Top Bottom