• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you feeling about the gaming landscape currently?

It’s super awesome. I’m playing Pillars, Rainbow Six, Uncharted, and Battlefield. Soon I’ll be knee deep in a Total War and Wolfenstein. Tons of variety keeping things fresh,

Servbot24

Banned
It's great. Nintendo is doing pretty well and PS4 is having a banner year.

It would be nice to see XBox improve... but at the same time I don't have any extra time for it so I don't mind that there are not exclusive games tempting me on XBox.

Seems like there are some games with crappy design like lootboxes and microtransactions and such, honestly I don't understand why anyone plays those. There are a million other games to play instead.

mikelarry

I was actually thinking about this topic today and I am slowly moving away from AAA gaming as I find myself asking how they they going to fuck it up rather than what I am really excited for I feel its only a matter of time till I give up on this hobby entirely as it feels the passion is dieing out and the handful that still try to do things differently are either gonna fall by the way side or succumb to yhe nickle and diming tactics that most employ nowadays

- hate the booming of MT but people won't stop buying them, nothing we can do at this point
- love the resurgence of Japan, new entires and series are coming out, the PS4 is seeing PS1/PS2 era games i never thought would return, and remasters almost always serve the purpose of gauging interest.
- interested in where the console cycle goes form here. i can't imagine the R&D MS put into the One X allows them to casually jump to next gen in 3 years if Sony decides to jump in 2020.
- glad single-player isn't going anywhere
- i have a raging feeling Sony is going to try one more handheld
- VR is fine, I've seen some doom and gloom talk but people have to realize this isn't like 3D or motion controls, it's an entire new way to play different games, not just new ways to play the same games
- GaaS go away please (see my first point)

I'm just glad to see Nintendo being a relevant contender once again.

Otherwise I don't think about the gaming landscape much. I'm not a nerd. :cool:

nelo_inc

I'm concerned about the future of consoles

New boxes at least every three years with growing game budgets, developer crunch and the continued encroachment of microtransactions

It doesn't seem promising. Currently I guess things are okay.

I also fear for the future of console gaming, i think if Microsoft and Sony continue with these more powerful versions of the same console, many gamers will shift to PC gaming.

Sadist

Hmmm...

- Publishers really going all in with microtransactions (2K), full on loot gambling (WB) and what not; there are some scummy things going on in general.

- Apparantly, (I mostly keep out of those discussions) some people think it's neat to be complete dicks on the internet. Homophobic, relentless against women and spamming shit which is just hurtful. I always concentrate on the good things gaming has to offer, but sometimes I forget that gaming consists of terrible people as well.

- Lots of creepy influentials going insane.

- Capcom putting everything in the Monster Hunter basket. Seems risky.

On the other hand...

- I played the third new Fire Emblem in four years.

- I'm playing a cool remake of Metroid II and it released within three months.

- Resident Evil VII was great.

- Persona 5 was hype

- Breath of the Wild, shit is mindblowing

- The Switch is awesome.

- Mario + Rabbids is actually good.

All in all, some good, some bad. Same as always.

Opa-Pa

The western AAA space gets increasingly garbage as years go by in almost every sense with gross business tactics and the tired open world competition until another genre gets everyone's attention.

However everything else is still there so it's not like there aren't other options anyway. The comeback of japanese games in the console space has been fantastic, and indies keep things fresh.

Nintendo being successful is also a very good thing.

I’m disappointed in the lack of single player AAA stuff as I only have time for so many MP games at once and one of them is a constant (Overwatch). So that only really leaves space for one other GaaS yet that’s what everyone seems to be making.

Hugstable

Banned
Games seem to be great this year from Yakuza 0, Nier, Zelda, Splatoon 2, Horizon, Mario & Rabbids, Divinity 2, Destiny 2, Yakuza Kiwami, Ni-Oh, Arms, PUBG, etc. Probably alot more I could name too cause those were just off the top of my head. Gaming landscape seems pretty great to me currently.

I do agree with Microtransactions being really bad though, I just try to ignore them and if a game has it's gameplay affected by them, I just won't touch it. And OP I do worry about Capcom as well, it feels like MHW is gonna end up being one huge gamble and I want nothing more than to see them succeed cause Capcom games have been with me since I started playing games with Megaman 1 and really don't want to see them go the way of Konami

JP

Nothing really seems to change for me, there's always been an absolute abundance of top quality games for me of varying sizes and prices. I never get to play all the games that are available that I want to play.

If any game demonstrates practices that I don't agree with then it's not a game that I have any interest in, I've never felt that I've missed out on something by dowing this.

Smasher89

Techwise it's getting more impressive (even though compression for some games seems ignored sizewise), but we also got stuff like more microtransactions, payed online, game as service(unfinished games at release), less easter eggs, games going to half price in like 6 weeks. So it's kind of all over the place, really worried that Nintendo is going all out premium though!

OVDRobo

I'll keep enjoying what I enjoy regardless of what's going on around it.

There's definitely been some decline in business practices and the AAA market but that's just served to save me money.

I still haven't discovered a GaaS title that has actually managed to retain me outside of low impact mobile games so that trend is fully wasted on me.

Too much emphasis on AAA blockbuster, micro-transaction–laden, GaaS, always online, multiplayer-focused games.

Not enough creative risk taking from western console game studios, and many of the best smaller tier indie PSN/XBL studios are leaving to chase the mobile gaming fad (e.g. ThatGameCompany).

It concerns me... but then Sony are still doing a fine job making the kinds of SP-focused games I love, among other developers/publishers.

Also, the rise of AA and AAA Japanese console games is a joy to behold and I do hold that gamers at large embrace the excellence of their unique creative efforts by supporting to make them commercial successes also. Examples of successes like Persona 5 and Neir Automata restore my faith in gaming as a creative industry.

The gaming industry has been passing by me since 2005. I mainly played World of Warcraft since. The dark days of WiiU being behind us makes me happy though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Im currently happy we are getting great japanese games like NieR Automata, Persona 5 and Gravity Rush 2.

In other hand Im starting to lose interest in AAA western games but I still love games from Naughty Dog and Santa Monica.

Pretty positive. The past couple of years have been amazing. 2014 was pretty empty, but from that point on, we've been getting very good games very consistently. Bloodborne and MGSV in 2015, Overwatch and FFXV in 2016... And now in 2017, we have RE7, Breath of the Wild, Horizon, NieR, Persona 5, multiple Yakuza titles, Sonic Mania, PUBG, Destiny 2, Danganronpa V3 (which seems on par with its predecessors). So yeah, it's just getting better and better. Whether games live up to expectations or not is what it is, but one thing I'm very excited for is that once we got past 2014, the AAA space has found its form again and hasn't been relegated to "this is the best thing available, by default."

My two big genres, multiplayer FPS and strategy games, are being well catered to and there's a fairly steady stream of good indie games coming out so yeah I'm good with the industry right now.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Can't say I've felt any effects of all the bad crap going around in big games these days. Single player japanese made games are largely the same as they ever were. Haven't run into any that feel incomplete without dlc or stuffs like that. Worried about Nintendo's recent love of releasing incomplete games. I always buy their handhelds and a few games made by 'em afterall.

I do find it funny how lootboxes and microtransactions in brodude shooters are pretty much all cosmetic. Who knew so many people loved dressing up virtual dolls! I'd recommend the Style Savvy games to 'em, much cheaper an prolly much more clothing variety lol!

weltalldx

I think the current gaming landscape is anti-consumer and anti-competition.

We see anti-consumer in the push for digital always online, microtransaction in paid games, and the need release half finished products to extend and sell multiple iterations of the same game.

It is anti-competition in the sense that very few companies can make games that aren't an open world first person shooter. The industry rewards recycled annualized releases and punishes innovative games that goes against the grain.

I feel like we are entering a new golden age. We are deluged with quality games. Its almost too many good games to keep up. I worry we may see a small retraction due to so much going on.

jryeje29

Positive in most respects, my problem is with microtransactions in full priced games. Not with them being in them specifically but rather them ruining a games core in order to make you buy them. Examples like gun variants in call of duty multiplayer or having to play only 2k exclusively for the whole year if you want to customize your character for free. Gambling microtransactions specifically grind my gears, even more in games for kids.

george_us

I do find it funny how lootboxes and microtransactions in brodude shooters are pretty much all cosmetic. Who knew so many people loved dressing up virtual dolls! I'd recommend the Style Savvy games to 'em, much cheaper an prolly much more clothing variety lol!
Ha I've never even thought about this but you bring up an excellent point. Kind of ironic really.

Jubenhimer

I'd say this is the most mature and refined the medium has been yet. Sure, it's still far from perfect, but gaming has become a much more respected and celebrated medium than it was back in say, the 7th or 4th generation. 2017 looks to be the best year in gaming in a long time. We have tons of great indies, a resurgent Nintendo, a stable Sony, and some great games that take advantage of new business models like Free to Play and Games as a Service.

I know there are people who don't like those last two, and it's true they're often misused by companies who either don't understand them or are just using them for manipulative greed. But keep in mind, things like GaaS, F2P, micro-transactions, DLC, etc. are not bad things as long as you know how to use them, which plenty of companies have shown they're able to do. It's going to be interesting to see where gaming goes next. Especially with things like VR.

Games are good, the community is in a nose dive,

On the Micro transactions complaints I was exposed to what is in my opinion the worst example that is FIFA's ultimate team mode.

300-500 coins a game but a base messi is a couple million, with limited upgraded cards weekly and the need to spend coins on stamina, contracts and first aid for your players.

Your practically in the hole until you cash in and this was back in like 2012

watdaeff4

As of right now.....I've enjoyed this gen the most by far since the SNES.

Regarding VR, I haven't hopped onto the PSVR yet because this iteration probably isn't worth my time or money. The future could be promising though.

I'm indifferent about the iterative console approach. We'll be interesting to see if it continues into the next gen. (I suspect it will)

I'm not a fan of the pay to win creep that we are seeing in full priced console games. I didn't play Halo 5 Warzone or Uncharted 4 MP much because of it, and will skip 2k18 all together because of it.

I've personally gone all-digital but would like to see physical games still be an option. I think the next generation will still give that option but if the digital vs. physical share keeps shifting as it has, then I suspect it will be the last generation that has physical media. RemovIng choice is a bad thing.

I think also we will continue to see more of the EA Access, PSNow and Gamepass services

For me it's all about Japanese studios. I can't think of any western game that's really grabbed me in years, most leave me feeling disappointed and somewhat ripped off.

Dark Souls, Tekken, Nier Automata, Resident Evil, Nioh, The Evil Within, Ni No Kuni, Yakuza etc are all games that are easily worth the full price and have tons of replay value and quality gameplay, unique design features etc

Definitely looking forward to Red Dead Redemption and The Last of Us sequels but other than that I'm pretty stoked the Japanese are holding it down once again

I feel pretty good. My main concern would be microtransactions which seem to be appearing in more and more places, as well as increased chasing of the multiplayer market, if Square's ideas are anything to go by. I guess alongside that is the perception of gaming, with big players continuing a rather negative image.

I'm excited for the future of mobile gaming as devices become more powerful and hoping to see more games like Monument Valley and Hidden Figures pop up. Indies have played a larger part year on year in keeping me interested in gaming and I'm thankful so many devs seem to be doing well. This year alone has given me Pyre, Paradigm, Rakuen, Detention, What Remains of Edith Finch, Night In The Woods, Hollow Knight... and so many more. As well I feel like the west is beginning to embrace other gaming merchandise a bit more, with vinyls and art books becoming increasingly frequent, which suits my collecting ass down to the ground.

I'm liking seeing more diverse characters taking centre stage from bigger names: Billy, Aloy, Morgan Yu, Chloe 1, Chloe 2 and Senua... I'm hoping this is a trend which will continue and it a sign of it becoming the norm. This might just be me paying attention though or the games I'm interested in now embracing this. The increase in shorter games with smaller budgets has also benefited me greatly, as I feel like I can make my way through them.

Azriell

Industry overall looks pretty good imo. I'm happy to see Nintendo doing well again. I think it's important for Nintendo to do well, because they bring a fresh take and often some new ideas to the AAA space. MS has been making a lot of smart moves over the last several years while Sony has been far more conservative, and I'm interested to see how this will impact next gen.

I've gotten back into Overwatch, but I'm also starting to grow tired of it. It's disappointing how few maps they've put out since launch, and it's to the point now where I'm bored of whatever the new thing is by the time the next new thing is on the horizon. I play OW almost every day, but I might stop for a bit.

I've been playing a lot of retro games recently. Really makes me want a Switch VA with GameCube representation.

I'm still dreaming of a FFXI remake/port/sequel.

Jerm411

Was on the brink of becoming a lapsed gamer, due to not having a lot of free time or time with the TV, but along came the Switch and changed the game for me.

Absolutely love it and it's really reinvigorated my love for gaming and Nintendo as a whole...combine that with playing the occasional AAA game I'm in a real solid place.

Excited for the rest of 2017 and what 2018 has in store....

One thing that does give me a bit of optimism about western gaming is the predicted rise of the mid priced game, $40 or so like Hellblade. Should allow smaller studios to push high quality releases and take more risks.

I'm definitely not a fan of there only being cheap indie games and then huge budget AAA games. Much like movies the best stuff tends to be in the middle budget I find so hopefully the gaming industry finds a way to capture that

hzsn724

Well I am currently holding the world's most powerful handheld. I have plenty of great online games like DBD and Overwatch to keep me busy. I also have insane single player experiences like BotW, HZD, RE7, Nier.. Indies are stronger than ever and I can play everything from YouTube celebrity games like AVGN 1&2 and old school adventure games like Thimbleweed Park. I also have a ton of crazy games to look forward to like Evil Within 2, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2. And the world's most powerful console ever created is right around the corner..

And I'm holding a new Metroid game in my hands. Things couldn't be better. I only have optimisim for the future.

They are finally listening to us.

bobawesome

There's never been a better time to be playing video games. I don't notice any of the microtransaction crap since I stay away from most triple-A titles. I'm just happy visual novels are doing well in the west.

coiler

While there are the best games ever comming out for the last two years the amount of unfinished game releases is staggering. Thake Project Cars 2 as example- the game needs like 6 months of polishing and yet it at 85%+ at metacritic right now WTF???

vern

Switch is everything I've ever wanted from a console so I'm pretty excited about the current gaming landscape in that regard.

I'd love similar product from Sony. I have no interest in VR so them moving in that direction is whatever to me.

"AAA" games for the most part are anything but AAA. I don't care about online games and GaaS is stupid as fuck imo. I just wanna play a well designed single player or local multiplayer game. I want it complete at release. I've got nothing against dlc or additional content later, but I want a solid core experience at launch.

Zelda BOTW is one of the best games ever. Right up there with Super Metroid and Resident Evil 4 on my list of GOATs.

The gaming "community" is largely shit. I don't understand YouTube or Twitch, I'm supremely out of touch with esports, gaming celebrities, streaming games, and any other related media. I miss the glory days of EGM and print reviews and written gaming content.

Overall gaming industry is hit and miss I guess I'd say. Some things are incredible and some things don't interest me at all and actually actively work to make me dislike gaming as a hobby. So, it's the same as it's always been. It can't be all things to all people.

Was on the brink of becoming a lapsed gamer, due to not having a lot of free time or time with the TV, but along came the Switch and changed the game for me.

Absolutely love it and it's really reinvigorated my love for gaming and Nintendo as a whole...combine that with playing the occasional AAA game I'm in a real solid place.

Excited for the rest of 2017 and what 2018 has in store....

Also this.. id say for the past two years I was a lapsed gamer. I didn't even have a tv for a few years. After I got the switch I played solely handheld for a few months... recently finally got a tv again solely so I could give it a go on a bigger screen from time to time.

Pretty darn good due to two reasons:

1) I got a literal pile of GOTY-quality games to go through with a huge one coming next month.

2) The Switch fucking rocks and makes me want to play more games (while at the same time making it much easier due to the hybrid aspect of it.)

Very good, we dodged alot of bullets to get here.

The only cloud on the horizon is the rise of lootboxes and other fee-to-pay shenanigans, so all in all, it could be MUCH WORSE *thinks back to 2009 and shudders*

TKM

Bewildered and out of touch.

1) I don't understand "Let's Plays" and streamers. With the exception of some eSports (and even then, only games I'm invested in and can recognize skillful play), there's little appeal in watching other people play games. Not wasting valuable gaming time watching an average joe playing around, and cracking jokes.

2) Minecraft isn't my thing, building stuff got boring fast. And I haven't played Grand Theft Auto V or GTA Online. Probably never will, the series lost me at GTAIV.

3) Early Access activates my inner "man yelling at clouds." I just see broken software going for real money. Utterly unappealing. Ark: Survival Evolved is a technical mess even after release. Yet it and PUBG are huge.

4) Lootboxes and micro-transactions galore along with GAAS. I don't want to play 1 game forever. I'd rather spend my time across many different experiences.

This is not even touching mobile, a whole other world of gaming I'm not familiar with. One bigger, and more important than the grounds I play in.

Yet I'm very happy with the gaming landscape. The last 12 months have given me some games I didn't expect to experience (The Last Guardian, Yakuza Zero, Rez Infinite, NieR: Automata, Gravity Rush 2), some games that turned out much better than I'd hoped (Final Fantasy XV, Horizon, Persona 5, Uncharted LL), and even old favorites returning (FFXII: The Zodiac Age, Crash Bandicoot, and this week FFIX.

I've played a lot of great games, don't have a backlog, and next year looks very promising. Despite avoiding many of the latest trends, my needs are fully met. I hate early access, but many millions of players are enjoying Ark and PUBG, that's cool. It points to a broad and healthy gaming landscape to me. This is one of the best periods of gaming ever.

RooMHM

Genuinely curious what genre you feel has not been catered to this generation or how games have gotten worse and worse.
Im a fan of arena shooter, movement based gameplay and you will tell me Overwatch but I'm not talking about superpowers you use pressing a button, rather skill based movement. Everything seems casualised to me with incredible features such as bunnyhopping or weapon jumpi'g being limited because of console centric development.

There are more remakes of not even amazing games, even from half generation to another, less and less fresh gameplay ideas even in the indie scene. Only puzzle games continue to be interesting somehow.

I don't see VR as something able to solve those issues as you get closer to physical limits making unrealistic gameplay harder to emulate.

The death of great studios bought by shit editors such as Microsoft, EA or Bethesda or Valve stopping game development all along killed what I wanted to see for the future and the new generztion of developers never has been able to follow their steps of non compromission and senseless freedom given to the players.

The worst maybe is the new business models forced to the players willingly investing in lootboxes, accepting DLC announced before releases, season passes, paid online etc. Games as a service is the worst that could happen and people are ok with it because they are accepting the lie that piracy is the real ennemy.

You might say I'm jaded but I'm waiting for your examples of new interesting gameplay ideas. Only DayZ and maybe PUBG seemed like new things and even then, they are rehashes of old concepts.

alpha69

Game's I want from Japan getting announced almost immediately for localization. That's something I never saw a few years ago. As far as I'm concerned, it's a great generation for a JRPG/Anime fan.

It's pretty great.

Japanese devs are as strong as ever, and Nintendo is absolutely nailing it.

Most of the shitty practices are coming from companies I never cared about anyway so it doesn't matter to me.

gelf

Happiest I've been for a long time. There's been a decent amount of good games from Japan and some are actually selling too and indies seem to be going from strength to strength. Thanks to this it feels like the mid tier level of games is back. That was where I typically got the most enjoyment and it felt like it went missing in the 360 generation.

On the negative side AAA games are holding less and less appeal but frankly I can easily do without most of them right now. Also there's a lot of stuff that's popular right now that I don't understand the appeal of as well but while I've got enough in my own niche to play I can ignore those.

Top Bottom