• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How bad is a 2.0-2.5 GPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolKane

Had a 3.96 gpa in college and am currently unemployed. GPA is useful for graduate school and certain professions, but doesn't matter taken only by itself. Your connections are orders of magnitude more important for your career.

jehuty

Long story short I didn't take college seriously and just managed to graduate with a 2.3 overall G.P.A (2.8 major specific, communications). I thought i was screwed until I remember that networking plays the biggest role on your job prospects. Now I work at a big bank (one of he top 5) in data processing (not quite an accountant) making really good money for single guy (more than most of my friends who graduated with better degrees) and the bank will be paying for my C.F.A classes and exams next year.

So in short, its always about who you know.

Biff

In which school/country/planet is a 3.3 "exceptional" and a 2.23 "average".

A 2.23 is a terrible GPA by Canadian university standards.

MechaX

Since you're going into Grad School for Psych, you'll be fine if you rock the shit out of the GRE.

I'm not kidding about this either. If you're not studying now, start doing so immediately. With a low GPA and low GRE score, you'll pretty much only have an extremely slim shot at Psych Grad School programs.

Plasmid

Since you're going into Grad School for Psych, you'll be fine if you rock the shit out of the GRE.

I'm not kidding about this either. If you're not studying now, start doing so immediately. With a low GPA and low GRE score, you'll pretty much only have an extremely slim shot at Psych Grad School programs.

Thanks, my friend recently finished his GRE stuff, so i'll probably borrow his study book.

Heysoos

GAF, im in a pickle. I'm a junior in college right now and i'm finishing up my first semester of my junior year, and it doesn't look too good for this semester. I have a history of doing bad in my fall semesters but doing exceptionally (3.3+ GPA) in the spring semesters. I'm intending to go to graduate school to be a licensed counselor but i don't really have a grasp on how important GPA is outside of an academic setting (besides getting into grad school). So i'm asking, how fucked am i? I'll be taking classes to make up for the shitty GPA & be doing summer intersessions until i graduate to improve.

I'm hoping to finish my undergraduate with at least a 2.725, which isn't awful, but isn't great either. How did your GPA affect your career? Does your GPA really even matter outside of an academic setting? Am i completely fucked over at this point? My residential GPA at the moment is a 2.23, and while that's around average, i feel like most people have a higher GPA than myself (albeit most of the people i know are in the honors colleges). So GAF, am i doomed?

Depends on your major/college/where you apply. That said, FINISH STRONG.

Seriously, my brother had a pretty average, maybe even below avg, GPA his first three years, but he kicked it into high gear his final two, brought up his GPA to a 2.9 I believe and got a really good job with a really good company, because he showed that he was taking it seriously, and learned from his mistakes. Stop slacking off, and concentrate on college and your grades.

Pastry

Banned
Worked for a company that was company policy to toss resumes with below a 3.2. STEM though, but this was even for experienced people. My buddy works for the HQ of a major national chain retailer. Because business degrees are a dime a dozen and are definitely the easiest major you can have, they toss resumes under 3.9 for new college grads lol.

Business was one of the toughest departments at my university. The degree of difficulty varied depending on your specialization (mine was International Business) but none of them were easy. Having a 3.9 GPA in our business department was incredibly difficult and I only know one or two people in my four years that actually had that.

Row

Banned
GPA only matter for grad school and getting into certain internships maybe, no one cares and it's even considered unprofessional to even put your GPA on your resume

Dorrin

I can't speak for grad school but your GPA in a corporate world won't matter at all beyond getting that first foot in the door. From that point on someone with a 2.75 seems destined to be in a comfortable middle management position assuming you are tall or at least not short and are not hideously ugly or fat. You can get by with the fat part if you are a guy though.

The 3.5+ dorks are the ones you keep as peons to keep pigeon holed to make yourself look good to your department head.

vocab

I'm surprised I can hold above a 3.0 these days. I'm barely paying attention, and none of the material is even remotely interesting. I think about other things plus depressive things like suicide on occasion, but I still pass the tests and shoot for B's because I really don't care.

Just hand in the work and put in a few hours into knowing the material for the test. It's not that hard. Unless you have a science major.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I have a 2.78 right now, but I'm retaking a class I failed. GAF should have a community thread for people with shitty GPAs, Coolio could be our king.

Had a 3.96 gpa in college and am currently unemployed. GPA is useful for graduate school and certain professions, but doesn't matter taken only by itself. Your connections are orders of magnitude more important for your career.
What sort of college did you go to? A 3.96 at an elite private university (top 20) or even a Berkeley or Michigan would absolutely not only guarantee employment post-grad, but a six-figure starting salary (given that you didn't major in Sociology or something equally pointless).
GPA only matter for grad school and getting into certain internships maybe, no one cares and it's even considered unprofessional to even put your GPA on your resume
This simply isn't true. Based on all of the advice I've solicited from top recruiters at prominent banks, it's actually critical to put your GPA on your resume, at least in applying for your first job.

Gorillaz

dont put it on a resume and just get experience. Like others said if you have high test scores it usually balances out the GPA

Lebron

It's pretty shit(unless you were a STEM). As long as you don't have any plans of Grad school, you should be fine. Finding the first job will be a pain in the ass without connections.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's pretty shit(unless you were a STEM). As long as you don't have any plans of Grad school, you should be fine. Finding the first job will be a pain in the ass without connections.
Yup, I'm convinced people just aren't reading the OP here.

SolKane

What job would you be qualified for with that major?

There are a few specializations that could lead to different careers, but most end up working in academia. It's kind of a pointless question to ask, however, given that I've already graduated and couldn't find a job. Still, I think most people graduating with a liberal arts degree aren't qualified for anything. They can't really do any job because they don't have the training or experience, which could also be applied to some STEM graduates. Yet there are very few non-technical jobs that a good college graduate would have trouble doing, I think, regardless of the major. It's not so much that the degree is "worthless" or that a college education has declined in its utility, it's that the market for college graduates has changed dramatically in the last few decades. Of course I learned all these things after the fact, and since I'm not blessed with prescience I find myself in my current predicament, as have several of my friends and many other young people.

Hari Seldon

Business was one of the toughest departments at my university. The degree of difficulty varied depending on your specialization (mine was International Business) but none of them were easy. Having a 3.9 GPA in our business department was incredibly difficult and I only know one or two people in my four years that actually had that.

Well you are going to be graduating with the most common major in the country, so that is what happens when competing for corporate positions. Most corporate HR is pretty damn brutal when doing the initial cut at new grad resumes. If you get 1000 resumes for 5 positions, just cut out the below 3.9s and pick from 20.

Well you are going to be graduating with the most common major in the country, so that is what happens when competing for corporate positions. Most corporate HR is pretty damn brutal when doing the initial cut at new grad resumes. If you get 1000 resumes for 5 positions, just cut out the below 3.9s and pick from 20.

lol god damn

McNei1y

Meh, I don't really know what GPA does aside from determining whether you graduate or not. My priority in college was to get a degree... so I had to get whatever the necessary GPA was in order to do that. It worked, IMO.

Meh, I don't really know what GPA does aside from determining whether you graduate or not. My priority in college was to get a degree... so I had to get whatever the necessary GPA was in order to do that. It worked, IMO.

Right now I'm trying to get a baller GPA for scholarships.
Jokes on me probably.

t26

As someone who done his hours for School counseling you can get into a program with 2.7 as long as you have some experience and can write a good personal statement. Also take sone classes at community college to boost your gpa

Zhengi

I'd say that GPA matters a bit, but if you don't meet the requirements, the college will most likely ask you to take the GRE to test just how much you know. The GRE is almost like the SATs for Grad school. So just do well on that and the college will consider you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom