• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How bad is upscaling to 4k on PC?

Ah right, so basically when I'm seeing 60fps on my PC it can't be true. Gotcha.

I won't pretend I don't see drops but it is pretty solid.
It's still a million miles from 4K60. Which is exactly my point. 1080p-1440p is *currently* the sweet spot for demanding games on a 980Ti/1070.

horkrux

Agree completely. There are some that will hit 4k60 but they are usually 60fps games on console too.

This. If the title is meant to be run at 60fps, then 4K/60 is way more achievable of course unless you lower settings on more demanding games.

elelunicy

you MUST max out any game that you play.
And I'll go a step further and say the vast majority of games look better at 4k/medium than 1440p/maxed out. It's sad that many people are misusing their GPU power to play their games maxed out at a low resolution like 1440p just so they can say they are maxing out their games and thus feel better about themselves.

Wallach

I'm having pretty great results upscaling from 1440p on my 980 Ti (both with the X800D's upscaler or the GPU handling it, the X800D seems to have a really nice upscaler). Was playing Doom earlier this morning this way and it looks fantastic.

LostDonkey

I don't need to, I have a 980Ti.

We'll I have a 1070 and I set my desktop resolution to 3840x2160 and let GFE optimise. Guess what...60fps.

Sure some games have to have settings turned down but they still look fantastic and you never said it had to be 4k60 ultra.

Games like Forza Horizon 3 have to be capped at 30 because I don't believe there's a card out there that can hold 60fps, even at 1080p that game still drops.

laxu

And I'll go a step further and say the vast majority of games look better at 4k/medium than 1440p/maxed out. It's sad that many people are misusing their GPU power to play their games maxed out at a low resolution like 1440p just so they can say they are maxing out their games and thus feel better about themselves.

With some games it's tough to drop the settings. For example in Rise of the Tomb Raider you can see that the AO, detail and shadow settings make a fairly big difference in image quality but it's hard to judge how much of a difference it would make in movement.

I would rather pick higher resolution than higher antialiasing settings though.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I play most games 4k60 with a 1070. I just let Geforce experience set them up and they look fantastic. The only ones that I've had to set up myself so far have been like Forza Horizon 3 and GTA V and I've just locked them at 30.

Still, 1440p to 4k upscale looks fine on my set. Much better than 1080p to 4k anyway.

How? I never use Geforce unless I update my drivers, and I really should

LostDonkey

How? I never use Geforce unless I update my drivers, and I really should

Just make sure your install folder is selected in GFE and it will add the game's to the list if they have a Geforce profile, click optimise and it's done. You can set it to performance or quality, i.e higher frames or eye candy. Let it know what resolution you want to aim for and it will set it up for you based on Nvidia data.

You can even set it to optimise automatically so that when you install a game it does it straight away and the profiles get updated on a regular basis so any changes in options will be applied for you. It really is very simple. You can always change things in game after as well to see what you can get away with but I find the settings it does are usually spot on.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just make sure your install folder is selected in GFE and it will add the game's to the list if they have a Geforce profile, click optimise and it's done. You can set it to performance or quality, i.e higher frames or eye candy. Let it know what resolution you want to aim for and it will set it up for you based on Nvidia data.

You can even set it to optimise automatically so that when you install a game it does it straight away and the profiles get updated on a regular basis so any changes in options will be applied for you. It really is very simple. You can always change things in game after as well to see what you can get away with but I find the settings it does are usually spot on.

Awesome, thanks

Pachinko

1440p upscaled to 4K looks better than straight 1080p.

I mean, I guess it depends on your monitor but that 1070 should have no issues hitting 1440p/60fps with just about anything and some older games will even run just fine at 4K too.

Except your example is total crap. I've just ran the Tomb Raider benchmark, and even the absolute lowest settings (which look like crap btw, way worse than console) can't even maintain 60fps at 4K. It's not just a case of 'don't max it out and you'll be fine'. You just won't get 4K60 a lot of the time. End of story. Unless of course you're advocating 4K30? Now that really is high-end gpu misuse.

On a 980Ti/1070, RotTR, your choices are

1080p, solid 60 with most settings at max and FXAA
1440p, 60 with dips, very high settings
4K, solid 30 with most settings at max
4K, a wobbly 50-60 on the lowest settings looking horrible with lots of pop-in

Total no-brainer.

chrislowe

I actually think that using 1080P and let my samsung upscale it to 4k looks the best.

1440 makes it look a bit unsharp.

1080P looks razorsharp

ghibli99

43" 4K Sony X800D owner here, and 1080p/1440p Witcher 3 at Ultra (maybe some things dialed down at 1440p) will quickly make you forget that it's not 4K native, especially with the better framerate. Native 4K is indeed great when your system can push it, or the game is simple/old enough where it doesn't affect performance. I have a 980 Ti FTW and would rather play the most recent and demanding games at 1080p so that I can get as close to a 60fps lock as possible, but then I also like the look of, say, Forza Horizon 3 at 4K30. Just depends IMO.

sirap

Of course, but I can't choose the scaler on PC...

Therein lies the problem. The fact that Nvidia or AMD hasn't even bothered to add nearest-neighbour interpolation boggles my mind.

I mean, you can already access lancoz upscaling through Nvidia Inspector, so it's not like they're totally oblivious to the problem.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Except your example is total crap. I've just ran the Tomb Raider benchmark, and even the absolute lowest settings (which look like crap btw, way worse than console) can't even maintain 60fps at 4K. It's not just a case of 'don't max it out and you'll be fine'. You just won't get 4K60 a lot of the time. End of story. Unless of course you're advocating 4K30? Now that really is high-end gpu misuse.

On a 980Ti/1070, RotTR, your choices are

1080p, solid 60 with most settings at max and FXAA
1440p, 60 with dips, very high settings
4K, solid 30 with most settings at max
4K, a wobbly 50-60 on the lowest settings looking horrible with lots of pop-in

Total no-brainer.

Gpu abuse to run at 30fps? I'm perfectly happy to play certain types of games (like tomb raider) at 30fps.

Top Bottom