• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Nintendo get away with selling the 3DSXL without a charger?

MMaRsu

Banned
This may sound stupid but I was considering buying a 3ds next year or something, but if there is no charger included NOE can fuck off.

m0t0k1

Is it possible to use a standard mini usb charger?

No but you can use a 3ds to usb cable which are even less expensive then the charger. And charge your 3DS via the laptop.

MMaRsu said:
This may sound stupid but I was considering buying a 3ds next year or something, but if there is no charger included NOE can fuck off.
Buy an OG 3ds there is a charger and charge cradle in the package. Also it is cheaper.

Neat, how about passing the savings down to us then ;)?

(or like you said use mini or micro USB)

Maybe they did.

lol probably not

They really should have included a cable with USB on the other end. No charger, just USB to either charge via a USB port or via a USB charger (that 90%+ of the people actually do own, in contrast to a 3DS/DSi/DSi XL charger). Cable would have cost them ~0 and they wouldn't have needed different boxes for different chargers.

I really think it's just Nintendo saving cash everywhere they can since they're basically using the old DSi(XL) chargers.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah, that actually sounds stupid.

Just btw. you can get USB chargers for as low as ~1.50€ off from Ebay.

What kind of charger is it? Either way this just sounds stupid from Nintendo. They are always so damn stingy. No wonder they are raking in the millions, if I could find a new copy of SSBM I'd probably still pay 30 euro's for it.

They should bundle a USB charging lead. Surely everybody has access to a spare USB socket? Sockets I've charged from: computers, consoles, TVs, printers, iPhone/iPad wall charger, etc.

I use a retractable 3DS->USB lead, but one that is a simple length of cable would be even less expensive.

They're so cheap (£1.50/$2.50/€1.20 delivered) that I keep spares in my ruck sack and in the car.

4ZgaPEZ.jpg

antti-la

This still must be the biggest of all Nintendo-doing-stupid-decisions-lately.

One time I was about to spontaneously pick up 3DS XL, was walking towards the cashier, when I noticed yellow label saying it doesn't include a charger. Official Nintendo charger was 25€ in that store. Put that whole shit back to shelf and was furious.

Next time I was more prepared. Still felt like I'm being cheated for having to buy a charger.

Makes me wonder how many families have bought 3DS XL just to have their kids cry over Christmas, birthdays, trips etc. because no charger was included.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death

One time I was about to spontaneously pick up 3DS XL, was walking towards the cashier, when I noticed yellow label saying it doesn't include a charger. Official Nintendo charger was 25€ in that store. Put that whole shit back to shelf and was furious.

Next time I was more prepared. Still felt like I'm being cheated for having to buy a charger.

Makes me wonder how many families have bought 3DS XL just to have their kids cry over Christmas, birthdays, trips etc. because no charger was included.

Did you knock over a magazine rack?

Sendou

The joke here is that you supported video game retail pricing in Finland and it's not a funny one.

mattp

lol people are defending nintendo on this? jesus christ
how many other electronic products are sold that you literally cannot power or use because the power cable isn't in the fucking box

King_Moc

Banned
lol people are defending nintendo on this? jesus christ
how many other electronic products are sold that you literally cannot power or use because the power cable isn't in the fucking box

It's not so much that I'm defending it and more that I feel the reaction is ott, with everyone assuming that it's a nickel and dime move. If they were doing this on the basis that plenty of prople already had chargers, then they should have sold the official charger with a super low margin for the prople that didn't. That's the thing that I think is the worst about this. Especially if that €25 euro price mentioned earlier is right. But y'know, they've started giving people free game downloads with it for no extra cost, so it's not that bad.

GulAtiCa

I always found it odd that the only region to include a charger was NOA, which is usually the "bad" one compared to NOE and especially NCL.

I always found it odd that the only region to include a charger was NOA, which is usually the "bad" one compared to NOE and especially NCL.

3DS is already not doing as great in NA as it is in Japan, probably want to remove as many pre-purchase barriers as possible.

I dunno about Europe, but aren't a lot of electronics in Japan sold without chargers (cameras, cell phones, past Nintendo handhelds)? Granted, for those it might not be as big a deal since they might not have proprietary charging ports...

Berordn

All of North America uses the same power outlets, though. They can just use the same packaging for multiple regions like that and save in bulk.

I'd like to know how much the price would go up per unit if they had to bundle an AC adapter and start packaging region specific units, but we'll probably never get that information from the source.

First of all

YES selling the 3DS XL without a charger IS a shitty decision. Nothing to defend or excuse here.

But the way *SOME* people behave in this tread is highly insulting and inexcusable aswell.

Sax_Man

Banned
There are actually people DEFENDING Nintendo's decision not to include a charging device that is NECESSARY FOR THE HANDHELD TO FUNCTION?

Jesus. Tap. Dancing. Christ.

It's like having to pay an extra $10 if you want your new pair of khakis to include a zipper and button.

gngf123

There are actually people DEFENDING Nintendo's decision not to include a charging device that is NECESSARY FOR THE HANDHELD TO FUNCTION?

Not really no, the main defense is that it really isn't that big of a deal and the main rival (if you can call it that) does something very similar, but with something that costs far more than a £5 charger.

It is still pathetic, and nobody here is denying that. Although:

You realize the battery comes charged in the box, right? It's not like they bought a brick.

Come on man. Being able to use the device for 3 hours before it becomes a brick isn't a defense.

WillyFive

It's like having to pay an extra $10 if you want your new pair of khakis to include a zipper and button.

I thought it was a terrible thing when I first learned about it, but as time passed and you got to learn more about other anti-consumer practices in the game industry (including those made by Nintendo themselves), what Nintendo does with chargers in EU and Japan seems pretty petty.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Apparently everyone already has one of these chargers.

Its disgraceful they do such a thing.

as long as its plainly obvious then that's the way the cookie crumbles. Unacceptable.

if they tried to hide it then its a scandal.

Sax_Man

Banned
Apparently everyone already has one of these chargers.

I've totally already got several pairs of shoes with shoelaces, why do I need my new shoes to come with them? Laces drive up the cost of footwear!

Clearly anyone who uses more than a single pair of shoelaces is just being lazy and trying to find reasons to complain! ;)

m0t0k1

The OG 3DS is a terrible system. 3DS XL is better in every way.

Except it is not. Both have their own strong and weak points. I prefer the OG not in every way but i definitely prefer it over the XL. Even calling OG Terrible even though the improvements to XL aren't that great. Still it is your opinion which you are entitled to, but please don't state things that aren't true or overly exaggerated like you did in your post afterwards.

Except it is not. Both have their own strong and weak points. I prefer the OG not in every way but i definitely prefer it over the XL. Even calling OG Terrible even though the improvements to XL aren't that great. Still it is your opinion which you are entitled to, but please don't state things that aren't true or overly exaggerated like you did in your post afterwards.

Name one benefit to the original system other than being smaller.

TheMink

Fortunately he wasn't talking to you, so no need to interject your opinion on others.

Fortunately he wasn't talking to you so no need to interject your viewpoint on him.

What the hell kinda bull crap is this? If you dont want people interjecting how bout dont post in a public forum.

Zeroth

This thread reminds me of this gem:

Seriously the lack of AC adapter is a good decision.
It's good for ecology things. Years ago greenpeace and others pointed out the fact of mobile phone AC adapters was a giant mess to recycle and there are millions of them every year.

I'm not into the "save the planet" thing, but if I look at my random video game hardware case in my room... well, I have plenty of powering shit.
My GBA AC adapter that served also my old DS tank. Adapter from my japanese DS. USB cable paid 1,5$ on dealextreme.com for my DS Lite. Multiple USB cable/AC adapter for GBA, GBm, DS, DSLite, DSi, 3DS (which I use at office). Adapters for my japanese 3DS, japanese GBmicro, regular EU 3DS, Zelda EU 3DS. For Wii? 3 adapters. Hell I forgot other GBA adapters from my others GBA, NES edition, Zelda edition... And the 3DS docks... and a GBA AGS-101 pink one, and probably I got a last one since I have one extra red GBA. I can make a rugby team of my adapters!

I'm probably a special case since I've got many systems, but my point is, if customers have to make the decision on buying their supply method, this will lower the number of extra/useless AC adapters.
I also think this will please cheap accessory manufacturers, so if the advertising is well operated in-stores, this will not be a problem, and this ands up to be a good thing.

-MB-

Fortunately he wasn't talking to you so no need to interject your viewpoint on him.

What the hell kinda bull crap is this? If you dont want people interjecting how bout dont post in a public forum.

Public forum doesn't mean behaving like a troll and annoying the shit out of everyone.

m0t0k1

Name one benefit to the original system other than being smaller.

advantage Og: It weights less, Better PPI, Its Cheaper, Better 3d viewing angle, Better sounds boxes. You get your charge cradle and Charger in the package and like you said i prefer my portable smaller. Also i believe you can get the screen brighter then on the XL i notice a difference when i have the charger plugged in.

advantage XL: Better Battery, Larger Screens, Way less Screen reflection, for some round corners and more comfortable to hold but i dont prefer it, Matt finnish, Dpad and buttons especially the home/select/start buttons.

TheMink

^main reason i switched was the dpad and buttons. Had a really hard time with OG.

Public forum
doesn't mean behaving like a troll and annoying the shit out of everyone.

Im not totally sure why you are reacting this way. You'd think this guy was raving in an nintendo forum about how sony is better than nintendo.

I would love if you were to explain why.

Because it should be included with the device as it's an absolute necessity to even operate?

The fact that you have the option to get a cheap charger separately is irrelevant. Would you accept a games console shipping without a controller?

^main reason i switched was the dpad and buttons. Had a really hard time with OG.

Im not totally sure why you are reacting this way. You'd think this guy was raving in an nintendo forum about how sony is better than nintendo.

He has a point.

Sone people are behaving so incredibly bad in here. Its disgusting. Discussion about the issue at hand is certanly impossible this way.

You can critisice Nintendos decision, you can dislike, heck you can hate Nintendo, i don't care. But i imagine everybody, no matter from wich side, can expect at least a certain level of proper behaviour.

Top Bottom