• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How climate change is rapidly taking the planet apart and towards human extinction

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrellRell

Climate change discussion is brutal. One side you have people shitting on everyone for destroying the earth (fuck baby boomers, fuck conservatives) but at the same time taking no responsibility themselves. Me? what can I do? It's the government, they have to fix it. The other side you've got people rolling coal, complaining about taxes, maybe pepper a few conspiracy theories in there. I can't say either side is right but I do realize this issue, like all issues, is not black and white. There are a few people who actually want to discuss possibilities and solutions instead of fear mongering and blaming buy it's all lost in the noise.

Sure.

So, mature discussion?
No, I mean if you want to say people who say civilization or humanity is ending are overblowing it, you need to step in with facts on why you're sure we won't end. What you're doing is just presenting the other side of the pointless back and forth. Where are your facts for this mature discussion you want?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I would add that people who have our best intentions are usually not the ones in power.

I'm all for a technocratic government.
Non-self-indulging governments in the majority of the countries would be a great start. Alas. "With power comes what? More power, silly."

Planet of the apes is our current situation, and things are only just getting downhill from here.

pr0cs

So, you expect private citizens to take matters into their own hands? The same ones who vote in people like Inohofe and deny climate change?

Erm, okay.
What the government is doing is better? At best the taxes are a deterrent but most likely another way to pull money out of people's pockets as usual.

XOMTOR

So what are you doing about it?

As an individual, I do what I can but I'd love to do more. I'd love to have a slew of solar panels on my roof yet my government has imposed a tariff on cheaper imported panels to protect one or two (publicly traded) Canadian businesses that are unable to be competitive. Even if I could afford the approx. $40k investment, there's only one province in this country that has an incentive program in place for you to tie your solar array back into the grid.

I'd also love to own an electric car, yet there are only 2 provinces with rebate programs in place and I don't live in either.

So what is my government's plan to help battle climate change? A carbon tax. So they're going to tax me more so I'll have less to spend on solar and electric while only a tiny fraction of that "revenue" will ever make its way to funding climate change initiatives. Governments like to talk the big talk about climate change but in reality they only do the bare minimum in order to get elected.

When florida is wiped off the face of the earth they'll start looking into it earnestly.

florida.gif

Not really.
I think this article is exaggerating quite a bit.

Hypron

Climate change discussion is brutal. One side you have people shitting on everyone for destroying the earth (fuck baby boomers, fuck conservatives) but at the same time taking no responsibility themselves. Me? what can I do? It's the government, they have to fix it. The other side you've got people rolling coal, complaining about taxes, maybe pepper a few conspiracy theories in there. I can't say either side is right but I do realize this issue, like all issues, is not black and white. There are a few people who actually want to discuss possibilities and solutions instead of fear mongering and blaming buy it's all lost in the noise.

The most important thing about any discussion is to find a way to feel superior to everyone else. A good way to achieve is to identify two "sides" and make them both look bad.

Lol politics IS a big factor though, at least in the US. If you look up Katherine Hayhoe, she's a scientist who has been working on helping others, particularly those with evangelist views, that climate change is real.

Her findings were that if religion was preventing them from believing in it, that can eventually be overridden with proof and evidence.

However - polticis? Nearly impossible. Conservative politics preach against climate change as hard as humanly possible and if you hear how it's "not real" or "made up" daily, you'll begin to believe it. With the great addition that they tell you not to trust anyone but conservative media to do your fact checking.

Case in point - all climate change deniers always go "Hey that one climatologist said that climate change was fake, and he was on greenpeace!" And using that as evidence versus the 99% other scientists who have claimed climate change is happening now.

THis shit is infuriating. You are right though that the government has to be initiating this, but the government should also quit having climate deniers in stations of power and learn how to educate the damn populous about these hazards that are coming for our grandchildren (sorry if this sounds corny but it's true).

Ac30

What the government is doing is better? At best the taxes are a deterrent but most likely another way to pull money out of people's pockets as usual.

Well, yes, since they're using your taxes to fund scientists tackling these problems, because it's not exactly profitable for the private sector to do anything about this. Besides, they promote initiatives and laws to get your average idiot to do something about their everyday habits. The idea is to create policies which get society as a whole to respond. Individual action is ultimately fruitless.

Based on what, though?

This thread is real bad in terms of "nah"s without facts backing up why. Which explains our position right now, really.

Based on the fact the research it puts forward varies wildly in terms of the prediction and the 2035 one is a bit sketchy.
Climate change is real but because this year has been particularly warm doesn't mean it has accelerated to the point that we will be fucked by 2035.

2MF

How many people saying "people are stupid and do nothing" have actually stopped driving and taking planes, among other things?

blu

How many people saying "people are stupid and do nothing" have actually stopped driving and taking planes, among other things?
I partially walk to work, partially ride the subway every day. My car sits in the garage except on weekends, when I use it to take the family out of the city (~2M population). I fly less than once a year.

Sesha

This makes me glad I've been in a rut for the past few years, and that I don't plan to have children. Because I have no future to lose, apparently.

gruenel

Everything isn't black or white man. There are lots of things you can do without living like a hermit.

Install LED bulbs. Buy smaller, efficient (or electric) cars. Insulate your house. Stop using standby modes.
Don't vote republican.
Etc etc...

Sold my car a decade ago to bike, bus, and Zipcar full time. It's getting even better with Car2Go and Uber everywhere now, and Amazon literally has everything. I use a car like every 2 months.

Sesha

Yeah, we're fucked. No one is gonna budge because money. Who knew you could actually buy the death of a planet?

Too bad there's no afterlife, otherwise they might have been able to pay their way in with all that money like the Ancient Greeks believed.

Fuchsdh

florida.gif

Not really.
I think this article is exaggerating quite a bit.

Exaggerating that Florida's going to be wiped off the map? Because we can quibble about the timetables but it's going to happen. There's no way to wall off that much coastline, the tallest feature in Florida is a damn landfill, and the ground it is on is incredibly porous so that pumping water out just doesn't work.

The state is quite simply a lost cause unless we get global temperatures in check and start reversing the damage.

Orcastar

There is no where better to go. I should probably move out of SoCal, this year long fire season and 6+ months of Summer is getting to be a bit much.

There absolutely are better places to go out there. We just don't have the technology to find and get to them, and never will at this rate.

Lime

I never owned a car, I bike everywhere I go, and I don't eat meat when vegetarian options are there. I buy used when possible.

I still own a computer that uses a lot of electricity for executing games and movies, I still order new stuff online dependent on transportation, and I have to use a plane to see my family and for work that requires me to use it (otherwise I get fired).

I am still part of the problem but it's really impossible to be part of contemporary western capitalist society without damaging the world. The alternative is to move into a forest and become self-reliant.

blu

If a scientist has facts, what am I going to counter with? "Yeah, but what if you're just making this up because China wants us to destroy our own economy?"
That'd be among the more sane of excuses people will come up with to escape any responsibility when it comes to their way of life.

zeemumu

That has already happened. I think we will have serious commitment with this issue once developed nations really start getting crazy because of lack of fresh water and food, for example. Until something really unprecedented happen I think nothing will change, unfortunately.

No not the "back to 100%" turnaround, the "it's too late to save anyone, abandon ship" turnaround point. If it were a viable option, I think people would be more likely to ditch the planet and move on than try to fix it.

jerry1594

Whatever, world should have done something a long time ago. Nobody but China and Pacific island countries gives an actual shit.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No not the "back to 100%" turnaround, the "it's too late to save anyone, abandon ship" turnaround point. If it were a viable option, I think people would be more likely to ditch the planet and move on than try to fix it.

If we have the means to leave the planet, then we'd have the means to live in a cleaner planet also.

Jetman

Do you think we are going to be extinct by 2035?

Can I use Dick Cheneys 1% Doctrine here for Republicans? (Not assuming you are one, just using this in general)

"If there's even a 1% chance [global warming/human extinction from it] exists, we have to treat it as a certainty in terms of our response."

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Sure, if we linearly extrapolate from the current situation, we're fucked by halfway to 2100, but reality does not behave in such way. There's reason for optimism if we start to work hard on the problem. Cleaner energy and cleaner transportation for starters, and securing the vulnerable coastal areas in third and first world countries. The Maledives are nothing compared to Bangladesh..

If you got that from a book, it was probably a rather dystopian one.

There's no more reason for optimism than there is reason for pessimism. Even if there was a slim chance we could come up with a plan to fix this, what precedent can you point to that shows humanity is capable of working together or being smart enough to actually pull off something on a global scale?

In my opinion, having children in our current and likely future situation is so so selfish. Having children in itself already is a selfish act in most cases, but given how awful the future might be, I don't understand how educated people can still decide to have children.

If educated people stop having children then future generations will be even less educated.

If countries are having issues handling immigration right now, it will be a different story when we start seeing mass exoduses from places that will no longer be habitable. It will be a multidimensional chaos.

I made a thread about exactly that recently, which was promptly ignored :(
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1240989

I would add that people who have our best intentions are usually not the ones in power.

I'm all for a technocratic government.

/cranks up air conditioner

(would be the common response of our species)

We, as a species, have near-zero abilities to deal with cataclysmic problems. So far we have exclusively relied on our good luck and/or self-restoring balances to fix things for us. We have bright, genius individuals, but the average mass has the intelligence of a mildly-mutated primate. Our species will surely serve as a great negative example to somebody else one day.

Non-self-indulging governments in the majority of the countries would be a great start. Alas. "With power comes what? More power, silly."

Planet of the apes is our current situation, and things are only just getting downhill from here.

You two should check out my old thread as well.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1240989

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom