• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do deaf people wake up on time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leroidys

I'm sure there are more ways than one, but it seems that it would be very difficult if you could not hear an alarm clock, and didn't have someone else to rely on to wake you up. Enlighten me gaf.

They could set their alarm on their cellphone on "vibrate"

never really thought about that before. that would really suck, i have a hard enough time waking up to two alarm clocks :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Strobe lights. Also going to sleep on time.

Red Scarlet

wake-and-bacon.jpg

soco

i rarely even need an alarm clock. i use one maybe 5 times a year at most, and usually i've only been actually woken up like 2 of those.

it's the same way it works with fire alarms for deaf people. strobe lights.

god i hated that in the dorms at school. our dorms looked like christmas trees as there were so many deaf people going there.

suaveric

The same way they know their landline is ringing. They have lamps hooked up that turn off and on to get their attention.

I wake up everyday at 8 without the use of alarm, much to my astonishment actually. My dad does the same too. And to think that I used to throw tantrums while getting up and going to school. I keep my alarm on just in case though. I guess it just becomes a habit after a while.

Jokey665

mrkgoo said:
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought Deaf people slept with their eyes closed as well.

Close your eyes and look at a lightbulb. Then, with your eyes still closed, place your hand over your eyes. You'll notice that the amount of light that gets through changes, even though your eyes were already closed!

SmokyDave

I'm amazed that I've never wondered this before reading the thread title. Now I'm on the edge of my seat, subscribed to the thread.

itsgreen said:
Looks like a bacon-clock...
Why yes, yes it does!

I love the way you said that as if bacon-clocks were as commonplace as I-pods :lol

Blader5489 said:
Unless they've got their phones taped to their hands, how would that work?

as someone who's approximately 40% deaf i'm 40% qualified to answer this:

i use a 'docking station' for my blackberry that i place right next to my head whenever i sleep, usually the vibrating actually wakes me up

Zutroy

Blader5489 said:
Unless they've got their phones taped to their hands, how would that work?
They'd heard it vibrate on the tabl.....oh.

I'd like to think it was with an electric shock. I think that would help me get up better in the morning.

Jokey665 said:
Close your eyes and look at a lightbulb. Then, with your eyes still closed, place your hand over your eyes. You'll notice that the amount of light that gets through changes, even though your eyes were already closed!
Yeah, but you're awake when you do that, so you can see the difference.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
CRD90 said:
Yeah, but you're awake when you do that, so you can see the difference.
You've never woken up because the sun was shining through your window?

cwmartin

My roommate has an alarm clock that will at the same time make the most annoying ass high pitch squeal, vibrate a "puck" placed underneath his pillow, and constant turn on and off a lamp that he plugs into it. Its the fucking worst when he gets up before I do, and he isnt disabled or anything. So i would assume its light/vibration

Their alarm clocks have vibrating pads that they put under their beds.

I asked my friend whose parents are deaf to buy me one, because I want to be scared shitless so I actually wake up on time.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Who needs alarm clocks? Wake up at the same time each day and I've set a regular circadian cycle after just a few days.

nexes

I never really thought about this until I found out that my university has bed shakers that connect to the fire alarms for deaf students. Imagine something similar would work as a morning alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom