• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does FromSoft release AAA games so frequently? Elden Ring boss says "we are just blessed with a great staff" that the studio empowers and retains

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
But zelda still took 6 years lol. One year longer than horizon fw.

Mario odyssey was released in 2017. It will be 7 years before a true sequel launches.

I think fromsoft just has the two teams part down. They just go in and make games instead of fucking around prototyping.
I have no problem with Nintendo’s approach considering the game they produce. I admire From’s output although their technical proficiency could get some boost or more time (no LFC for their VRR implementation, frametime issues leading to sometimes janky framerate).

Lethal01

AAA graphics are graphics striving to replicate reality. These are both CGI:

Well that's just not true , you can do AAA stylized graphics.
Hell it would take AAA graphics to come anywhere close to stylized movie CGI like Pixar of spiderverse.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
They know what they’re doing and have the formula down. That’s probably the biggest thing imo. It’s much easier to build something if you know what it’s supposed to be and how it’s supposed to work from the get go, even if it’s a new IP.

Lethal01

I recall Kojima saying in a recent interview that most of his studio also works from home.

Nah bro, if I were in an office the 10 hours I spent working would have been so much better, especially with the 2 hour I lose doing nothing but driving.

Last edited:

hinch7

Simply focusing on on what players want, thats a decent experience with well thought game mechanics.. and less on fluff (technical stuff and going bleeding edge graphics). Lets them make more games frequently, I'm down with. People like to shit on Japanese developers when it comes to tech when it comes to games, but they prioritise on what actually matters.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

remembering the recent post about their new studio, & some comments about how 'sterile' it looked. i'm thinking maybe these people just come to work every day prepared to work?...
They don't wine about not working from home, they don't wine about salary's, they don't have incompetent fools as superiors, they don't layout their employs,
they don't chase GASS shit games, they don't launch their games in alpha state, they love their job & they have equal passion for every game they make.
They are only developer who don't tend to fuck their funbase with monetization practices .

The main reason is pretty obviously that the core of their games stays mostly the same, rehashed over and over. Souls games are very minimalistic in their production values. What other AAA these days could accept NPCs as just static vendors with a couple lines for their entire storyline, no animations, no lip movement, nothing but a generic NPC template with an outfit to set them apart? Only Nintendo comes to mind. This is incredibily simplistic, cheap and fast to make, and their success hinges on their competent direction. From games are super simplistic in many aspects that western AAA's spend vast amounts of time and effort into. And that's perfectly ok. You concentrate on what you are good at, and From does a lot of great things that aren't expensive time consuming high production value things. Great combat system, great art design, world building, level design. The core gameplay loop is fantastic. Having a very experienced crew making similar games year after year is a massive advantage in efficiency compared to disparate team trying to cobble together a massively overbloated design over a number of years, even when helmed by very experienced leads.

People have been happy with this so far, but I don't think they should just rest on their laurels. There will come a point where the core of these Soulsborne games is so overdone the average gamer will lose interest, that is if they don't evolve it in a more radical way. To me it's surprising they've kept their engine for this long, but I wouldn't be surprised if they moved to UE5 eventually like most other teams. That alone would probably shift things considerably, and also require a lot of retraining for a team that's cobbled up similar games using the same old tools over and over. With more detail comes more expectations of production value for things like NPCs From has kept minimalist so far. All these things threaten to increase the length of their development cycles in the future.

Of course From probably does adhere to some problematic aspects of Japanese working culture too, that does come at the expense of the workers there compared to some western studios, but it heavily depends on the studio. On the other hand some western studios might have really toxic cultures inside them, despite having pretentions about catering more to the employees. In Japan the work culture's more put up and shut up, which has its upsides and downsides. Less drama, but the nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom