• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How G2A stole my money and refused to give it back to me.

This site sounds like the modern equivalent of the guy who sold you stuff out of the back of his van in Skitchin'.

5154.gif

endtropy

Neo Member
went onto it one day after seeing a banner on another site. When the FIRST thing I see is an "option" to pay more to "protect" my purchase that was *everything* I needed to know about them. Sketchy as fuck.

Kinguin are dodgy as shit, I used to write blog posts for them and they weren't all that bad but now they have gotten bigger they are one to avoid now.

I've had g2a pull this shit with me, luckiIy I paid with PayPal and just escalated a claim and got my money back in an hour.
Got the impression it wasn't the first time PayPal have had to deal with these pricks and didn't fuck around and refunded me near enough straight away

Nokterian

Yeah G2A are nothing but scammers, much like other grey market CD key places. I've only had success with one other CD key place and that's CJS and even then they can be a little bit annoying.

I definitely recommend pursuing the chargeback option and hopefully you can get your money back. For future times stick with GMG, GoG or Amazon.

Even a few youtubers are sponsored by G2A like Levelcap and FrankieonPC and they still don't know that website is not good. Saw a retweet from totalbiscuit from another youtuber who stopped with G2A as his sponsor. It's dumb that they didn't do any research before doing stuff like this misleading your fans to buy illegal keys.

styl3s

Similiar thing happened to me, they sold me an expired Metro 2033 humble key,

then kept me jumping through hoops for a week before I just chargebackedthrough paypal,
they didnt contest it as they didnt even respond to it and I got my money back in about 3 weeks give or take.

They're a monumental pain in the ass, downright condescending when I wanted either a replacement key or refund and outright awful at customer service.

Ive had no problem with other grey market key sellers like GMG and CJS i will never use
or encourage anyone to visit G2A ever.

Wasnt even a lot of money they were just complete assholes about the whole thing
I don't know what CJS is but GMG is as legit as Steam.

As for G2A i don't know why Twitch doesn't start to crack down on top guys advertising it because they are basically advertising stolen goods and making a profit off it and it's bullshit. It gets kids and people who don't know better to buy stolen keys with a chance of being ripped off and OP, always pay with your credit card, debit or paypal so you always have the ability to disput. Personally, i prefer using my debit because my bank 100% takes my side every time.

Only learned of this site recently. Glad I haven't used them.
It feels like it's only been a week or 2 since I've noticed them popping up on YouTube and streamer channels which could be a whole thread topic in itself.

zugzug

Only learned of this site recently. Glad I haven't used them.
It feels like it's only been a week or 2 since I've noticed them popping up on YouTube and streamer channels which could be a whole thread topic in itself.

Twitch TV streamers been using them for a lot longer and gloating about their profits. A shame twitch tv isn't more upstanding but so many other instances Twitch not caring to hurt their own money flow towards them.

H1PSTER

Ok so Zong has been incredibly helpful so far whereas G2A have flat out told me to just do a charge back and that it's my phone providers problem at this point.

They also called me a liar in their chat for not contacting my provider when they told me too even though I mentioned that I did it earlier in the day.

Hopefully the charges appear on my bill so I can initiate and chargeback tomorrow.

Seiniyta

Twitch TV streamers been using them for a lot longer and gloating about their profits. A shame twitch tv isn't more upstanding but so many other instances Twitch not caring to hurt their own money flow towards them.

It's probably because G2A offered them a very lucrative deal that seems to be working out really well for G2A. If G2A pays the streamer consistently (which it seems they do considering a lot of streamers/youtubers/e-sport teams are still using them. Heck, even a prestigeous e-sport organization as Team Liquid has them as sponsers) there's little reason for them to drop it until it their viewers start to leave due the shadyness of G2A which I don't foresee happening.

It's up to the streamer or twitch to put a halt to his. But moreover twitch then the streamer. For the streamers/G2A it's a win-win situation for the most part.

Fractal

Banned
I don't use G2A too often, but never had any problems. I'm aware of the risks involved, and will continue using them as long as things go smoothly.

man I feel old I see all these weird acronyms and feel like Grandpa Simpson. da fuq is a Zong, Team Liquid, or Kinguin.

Sorry for your troubles OP at least it was a pretty cheap game. I don't see the point of buying PC games unless its off bundles or steam summer/winter sales, you can bet your ass Dying Light will be $10 by end of the year. Be thrifty and careful enough and you'll have an eternal backlog anyways. The humble bundle up right now for example is an absolutely fantastic deal.

I got Dying Light on the GS glitch for $20 the night before launch, for PS4. Only played 15 minutes and probably will never finish the game but man it felt good getting it for $20, PLUS they threw in the season pass too.

I filled up my entire steam library through them and have had no issues. So I don't know what happened. You just got the raw end of the deal I suppose.

Arma Collection (1,2 etc)
Bioshock with all DLC
Deus Ex HR DC
Deus Ex goty
Deus ex IW
Dishonored all DLC
E Y E
Skyim goty
enemy front
FEAR collection
Fallout 3
Fallout NV
Gary's Mod
Gone Home
Gothic 3
Kingdom of amalur and dlc
operation flashpoint dragon
postal 2
psychonauts
risen 3
thief 2, 3
Tomb Raiderr annivrsary, underworld.

All without any issues.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I don't know what CJS is but GMG is as legit as Steam..

CJS CD Keys is a CD key reseller, typically alright but can sometimes be a bit annoying with the bigger releases due to taking more orders than they can handle. I've used them for a few years now and my only problem with them has been what I mentioned, otherwise they are decent enough. They do offer Russian keys but you need a VPN for that and its just too much trouble.

Nokterian

man I feel old I see all these weird acronyms and feel like Grandpa Simpson. da fuq is a Zong, Team Liquid, or Kinguin.

Sorry for your troubles OP at least it was a pretty cheap game. I don't see the point of buying PC games unless its off bundles or steam summer/winter sales, you can bet your ass Dying Light will be $10 by end of the year. Be thrifty and careful enough and you'll have an eternal backlog anyways. The humble bundle up right now for example is an absolutely fantastic deal.

I got Dying Light on the GS glitch for $20 the night before launch, for PS4. Only played 15 minutes and probably will never finish the game but man it felt good getting it for $20, PLUS they threw in the season pass too.

Dude you played 15 min of dying light,you haven't even finished the tutorial and never will play again? Your insane that game is amazing get back to playing. You haven't touched the surface that game is fucking great probably my favorite open world game this year with fantastic parkour and combat . Also comparing something like a gamestop glitch towards a grey market seller is different the other sells keys provided by the publisher or valve or sony for that matter and the other obtained it illegal.

H1PSTER

They're basically saying they are openly going to keep my money from me now.

It hasn't appeared on my bill so I haven't been able to initiate a charge back.

What's even worse is that one of my favourite eSports teams now has now been sponsored. this scummy company.

H1PSTER

And here's another doublepost.

I contacted my phone provider again this morning and the charges have appeared on my bill however they are unable to do a chargeback and have forwarded me to another company who deals with the legal side of these kinds of situations.

If you are having problems like this and live in the UK these are the people to contact.

Frustrated, sent angry messages to both Zong and G2A, Zong were incredibly helpful before and sent me messages up until Friday but I haven't heard since... I guess you can put that down to it being the weekend.

I'll update this thread when more happens.

Oogedei

Haven't they been known to steal Ubisoft keys?
Not too surprising if that is the case...

These sites are like ebay. So "they" did not steal any key. This was a user selling those keys there.

I used Kinguin like 3-4 times. Never had any problems and even got a refund within 10 minutes one time. But it is possible to get burned (like on every other site where you buy from other persons and not from the company) so just use PayPal, OP. I would never buy something on ebay without PayPal either.

But it is really strange that this gets so much hate here. Some people act like every key is a stolen illegal key there. Yes, there was this guy who stole keys by credit card fraud. But this is not the usual case. Mostly, these keys are purchased in countries where games are really cheap and sold on those marketplaces like g2a and kinguin. There is nothing shady about it. It is possible to get scammed though. Just like on every other site. If I would count all the big companies which were not giving any refund and the support being very unpolite...
People are even selling packages with stones on ebay. So do you consider ebay as a shady site now?

Nevertheless I feel bad for you, OP. Hope that you get all of your money back. Good luck!

H1PSTER

Latest news.

G2A seems to be ignoring both my e-mails and Zong, who they work with for mobile payments.

Although today Zong e-mailed me and they have been nice enough to give me what they call a "one time courtesy refund" which will cover all of the money I'm owed.

FStop7

Banned
Returning your stolen money... what a "courtesy"

Glad it has sort-of worked out for you, and I'm even more glad that awareness has been raised about G2A being shady as fuck.

Top Bottom