• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How hard is it to make a Star Wars action/adventure game?

Baconmonk

well we only know a bit of what Hennig team tried to do before it change hands to Druckley. it's in Blood, Sweat Pixel book. Hennig team tried a lot of new gameplay mechanic trying to reinvent Uncharted 4. they had dancing mini game that will be used only once during auction level. they had mechanic where you shoot wall and used the holes to climb wall. the rope mechanic initially have you manually aim where you want to throw your grappling hook.

these are example for some mechanics that they have, but apparently they haven't manage to make it come together as a whole. like the manual aim for grappling hook don't lend itself well during a shootout where you want to be able to quickly jump and swinging around quickly.

now that I think about it, I guess it kinda similar with Metal Gear Rising, they had this cool mechanic where you can cut anything in the level from stone pillar and watermelon. but that abilities really make designing the level difficult.

Henning was also working with a constantly dwindling offshoot of the main ND team. U4 sounded like a mess at the beginning, but it was an under-resourced mess. I wouldn't be so quick to put all the blame at her feet.

You could just as easily work this around to say EA has a history of mismanaged teams, and perhaps it has something to do with their management style? We really don't have enough information to assume either case is true.

Sad that it's been so tough to find a solid team to make a single player focused Star Wars game. Everyone I know who is a fan of the franchise wants a game like this, and are buying battlefront primarily because it's the ONLY sp star wars game on recent memory.

I know people have issues with it, and especially the troubled sequel, but I really enjoyed Unleashed for what it was

An updated Tie Fighter game. A decent new Dark Forces. Hell, even a retro themed TFA based in the vein of the SNES Super Star Wars games. It's bemusing.

We got Battlefront 2 I guess, my experience with the Beta was mixed - veering positive

Seriously. New TIE Fighter flight sim. New Dark Forces FPS. New Jedi Knight third-person action-adventure (they could even make it open world if they wanted). New KotOR RPG. This should not be so difficult! They literally just have to bring back older SW games and people would love it.

Voidwolf

It shouldn't be that hard. Star Wars lends itself quite well to literally any and every video game genre. Clear the story with the Lucasfilm Story Group and make an authentic Star Wars game.

Personally, I would love a new Rogue Squadron game, maybe even one set in between the OT and ST, even have us transition from T-65 to the newer T-70 X-Wings throughout the course of the game. Criterion has already built an excellent flight system with Battlefront 2 and Dice has most of the vehicle models made, it'd give any studio a huge head start. Only things they'd to tackle would be story specifics and level design.

Alternatively, a Jedi Knight game. Everyone would go crazy for it, and they have so much available space in the Star Wars time line to work with. They don't even need bring back and focus on Kyle Katarn (although I'd love them to). They could bring it back to the Prequel era, or some time before then.

Save the open world for a new KOTOR game. And throw a new Empire at War at us while they're at it.

Lime

A better question would be how expensive it is and here is lies the answer to why EA and others are reluctant and cautious with how they spend their millions of dollars.

That’s why you aren’t getting a KOTOR or a SW uncharted or a SW Hatoful Boyfriend

FinalAres

I honestly don't agree that uncharted in space would have been an instant win.

Uncharted is lucky that it is so good, because it's concept is extremely generic. Without Naughty Dog behind the wheel it could easily turn into National Treasure, the game.

Metalmarc

Giving the license to just EA was a mistake

We should have had a Rogue One themed game

A Darth Maul Game
Kotor 3
Star Wars puzzle game

And many many more.

Stiler

EA clearly want their The Old Republic MMO to replicate that experience.

I will happily talk crap about EA, but i just don't see the point of this. (And i love KotOR 1)

TOR is no where near what KOTOR is. Lots of people want a good single player rpg, not an mmo with a lot of grinding and boring fetch quests, etc.

EhoaVash

Just give me a game with the gameplay of Arkham city/knight but with lightsabers and Jedi mind tricks and instead of the batmobile give me some space dog fight sections

So.....force unleashed 3 but current gen graphics

Big One

Banned
It isn't. There's been great Star Wars action/adventure games for literally decades. The fact they can't figure that out is on the fault of the people that currently have the license.

With Skyrim's graphical mods and Morrowind's immersion, count me in!
Just imagine all that jank when you fight a Rancor with your light saber ... ugh.

But yeah, Star Wars open world RPG would be great. But they still seem to think that The Old Republic is enough :(

The fact that they had to re-write/re-work UC4 and can this game makes me think the writer/director is doing a poor job. Hire a competent person to run the development and it will get made.

Top Bottom