• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How I'd fix Xbox's first party problem-" ign

Problem solved!

h7xYLgg.jpg

Fisty

I think its as simple as install base. If you’re a small studio and need to focus your effort for the best return, you pick the console with double the install base.

Nah it was definitely a political reason IIRC. Greg was pretty vocal about his disapproval of MS's self-publishing requirements at the start of the gen, when Sony basically opened the floodgates and MS was "come talk with us" about ID@XBOX. Lots of indies made it a point to state their dissatisfaction with either MS's past or present restrictions that made it overly difficult for them to operate.

General suggestions:

Apologize to Platinum and resurrect Scalebound (pipedream)

Since 343 and Coalition are named after elements on their respective games, expand the studios and give them funding on new IPs and the only caveat is that the IPs are set in the same universe.

Since Fable is dead, just create an RPG that is inspired by Fable or TW3. No interference or shoe-horning multiplayer or microtransactions. Microsoft has a ton of games that do that already.

Giving Fable to Rare is laughable. Microsoft doesn't need more Fable. You know what's hot right now? 90's nostalgia. Platformer revivals. This year alone has a Crash Bandicoot collection, 2D Sonic game. 3D Mario game, hell even Bubsy is back.

It's about time Rare made another Banjo game.
Fable could be the best xbox game. An answer to Zelda. It had fairly good combat, puzzles, charm and exploration. It had good little side activities like fishing and chicken kicken. Doesn't have to be either or with Crash, since this is all just speculation.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
How about selling the xbox division?

Mr Swine

Banned
MS would need to invest tons of money to fix their first party problems. Not only that their Xbox brand has weakened this gen from last gen which makes this even harder

ryseing

Giving Fable to Rare is laughable. Microsoft doesn't need more Fable. You know what's hot right now? 90's nostalgia. Platformer revivals. This year alone has a Crash Bandicoot collection, 2D Sonic game. 3D Mario game, hell even Bubsy is back.

It's about time Rare made another Banjo game.

An exclusive WRPG would be a big success if done right. A Fable reboot should be on the table.

IrishNinja

Ōkami;246384198 said:
Reboot Fable at Rare
Make a First-Person Shadowrun RPG
Bring Back Crimson Skies
Alan Wake 2 – Just Make it Happen
Hire Tomonobu Itagaki to Make a Ninja Gaiden Spiritual Successor
Get Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory 2 in Production ASAP
Bring Back Xbox Live Arcade

That's what the piece has.

dont know why so many are mocking, they seem like mostly interesting ideas? might not bring in a ton of people but shinobi, alan wake, crimson skies and a revamped XBLA would sure get my attention

What MS needs to do is actually build up their internal game studios rather than just rely on second parties like Rare, 343, Coalition, and Turn 10. Maybe pull a Nintendo and hire a bunch of internal software teams like they have with EAD

Imagine e3 2018. Screen goes black, suddenly a big ass dragon comes on screen. the crowd would go nuts.

Nah.. too much negativity surrounding it. Just make a co-op character action game in the veins of Bayonetta.

Something dope, quick and dirty. Nothing that takes years upon years to make.

What MS needs to do is actually build up their internal game studios rather than just rely on second parties like Rare, 343, Coalition, and Turn 10. Maybe pull a Nintendo and hire a bunch of internal software teams like they have with EAD.

David___

Banned
What MS needs to do is actually build up their internal game studios rather than just rely on second parties like Rare, 343, Coalition, and Turn 10. Maybe pull a Nintendo and hire a bunch of internal software teams like they have with EAD.

All the devs you listed are first parties. The problem is that they're shackled to a franchise for the foreseeable future

All the devs you listed are first parties. The problem is that they're shackled to a franchise for the foreseeable future

Yeah that's more or less what I meant. But don't be afraid to reach out to other devs too. Nintendo has great relationships with Intelligent Systems, HAL, Game Freak... All devs that are independent but work exclusively for Nintendo.

Lom1lo

So strange people are just seeing the 1st party issues now. I've been saying this before the X1 launched.
Whats Strange about this ? Now the Output is lacking, at launch everything was fine. As long games are coming nobody cares if they are first party or not.

TI82

Banned
All good ideas to have more good first party titles, but it doesn't fix the issues that the Xbox brand isn't profitable and has lost huge marketshare to Sony.

Cipherr

Freaken horrible...

Just invest in big budget titles like scalebound, but instead of cancelling them, actually release them.

Isn't it way more efficient to invest in studios they own? I know nothing of MS 1st party so Im just asking. It seems like they may need to start more internal studios the long way. Just build them from the ground up. nothing would help this gen but it would give them a shot mid/late next gen to get something going.

And probably go with new IP instead of looking backwards too.

Without the desire to cultivate a first party, which they clearly don't have. I guess it will never happen.

They only seem interested in having a few studios to keep making their 'sure thing' franchises and that's it.

Assuming they actually perceive there being a problem... and them cracking the war chest to rectify it...

Buy up studios (Crytek being the obvious one, because of their financial problems and their size... Ubi being another because of their fear of Vivendi), & put them to work.
Give them, and second party, and indies, access to MS IPs to pitch new games... or pitch on original IPs.
Establish a dev house of indies to make games like That Game Company produced.
Develop some games that won't sell huge numbers... but exist just to expand the market of the brand.
Incentivise indies to build for MS only (reduced publishing fees for example)
Reboot Perfect Dark as a Splinter Cell style game.
Build a shooter IP to run in Halo off years (Crysis if you're buying Crytek... or buy Bad Company off EA)...

Sulik2

You can't fix Xbox exclusive problem by buying a bunch of second party games. That's still two to three years out. You are better off opening studios. Three or four all focused on new IP and genres to have ready for next gen in 2020.

And you limp along the next three years using Indies and the best version of third party games.

Vinc

I've said it before and I will say it again. They need to build from their biggest IPs. Gears and Halo need to feel exciting again. Make them very high quality / impossible to ignore and Xbox will gain momentum.

Halo 4 and 5 were good, but not showstoppers. Same for Gears 4. Make us say wow, I need that.

ZERO Xbox first party game has been that this entire generation. That, coupled with low output, undesirable hardware and muddled messaging have been the issue, with each point having a compounding effect.

Crackdown has to be mindblowing. Will it be? Uncharted 2 was. God of War 3 was. The Last of Us was.

NotUS

Hmm, I think what they are doing with PUBG is the direction to go, bring PC gaming to console to be the differentiating factor, some examples:

Target games like:
  • Star Citizen
  • DOTA
  • Counter Strike
  • ARMA
  • WOW
First party output:
  • Halo RPG in the vein of Mass Effect
  • Fable RPG in the vein of Elder Scrolls / Witcher / Dogma
  • Goldeneye sequel by RARE, depending on licensing costs
3rd party exclusive
  • Kotor
  • Crysis in the vein of Crysis 1 / Battefield
Remaster some classics:
  • Half Life 1 & 2
  • Quake / Doom etc
this in addition to providing strong support to indies and 3rd party.

scitek

Agree with it or not, at least the author came with a proposal here. No point in just pointing out a problem and not offering any suggestions on how to fix it.

Purest 78

Whats Strange about this ? Now the Output is lacking, at launch everything was fine. As long games are coming nobody cares if they are first party or not.

I care because 1st party is where most of the gaming budget goes. Outside of shitty Kinect games it's been Halo,Gears, and Forza for a decade.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
How is that going to really benefit them though? They should be doing both. Having the best version of CoD and BF isn't going to do much to negate the ads and bundles with PS4. Never mind the fact that we are already far into this gen and a momentum shift like that is very unlikely to occur for various reasons.

They need a much better long term plan than that.

It's not even about PS4. Its about beyond that.

I'm not saying whether I think this will work or not. Just speculating.

I think they'll probably try and establish Xbox as the best place to play mutliplat games given mutliplats sell more than exclusives do. Then they'll try and keep people locked in with permanent backwards compatibility going forward.

element

Ubi being another because of their fear of Vivendi), & put them to work.
That would make the Minecraft acquisition look like chump change. Please return to reality.

You are better off opening studios.
Honestly all this talk about opening or acquiring studios is a terrible idea. Just find good partners. You don't need to own them, just sign a deal that locks them.

MS has a TERRIBLE history on the studios they have acquired. Lionhead, Press Play, Ensemble, Bungie, FASA, Access, Twisted Pixel Games, and Digital Anvil. All closed.

MS would be better to target companies like Playground Games, Sumo Digital, Streamline Studios, Asobo Studio, Coldwood, Avalanche Studios, Fatshark and a bunch others. Just sign them to publishing deals. Either work on a new IP or give them something from the catalog.

Dabi

I would work out a deal with Ready at Dawn and have them cook up their next big franchise.

They had a big misstep with The Order that they're still recovering from (not for long if Lone Echo is anything to go by), but overall, they have a proven track record.

The sooner, the better... won't be long before they're known as one of the premier developers in the business. Who knows what kind of money they would demand at that point.

C'mon Ryan, to fix the first party problem, Microsoft needs to create/buy more first party devs. And in order to do that Microsoft needs to be willing to lose more capital to funding Xbox as a whole or cut capital currently invested in other areas around Xbox. Cut a Forza team maybe?

Zukkoyaki

I'd love to see Phil or Shannon take the stage somewhere and announce something like they've signed (insert 3-4 reputable studios here) to publishing deals to create new IP for Xbox. Show Playground's logo, show Gobo's logo, show a surprise or two like Yager or Ninja Theory. They need a spark of excitement in the worst way.

Problem is, they've gotten to the point where everyone will just react cynically to the news. Quite a hole they've dug.

W.S.

Honestly all this talk about opening or acquiring studios is a terrible idea. Just find good partners. You don't need to own them, just sign a deal that locks them.

MS has a TERRIBLE history on the studios they have acquired. Lionhead, Press Play, Ensemble, Bungie, FASA, Access, Twisted Pixel Games, and Digital Anvil. All closed.

MS would be better to target companies like Playground Games, Sumo Digital, Streamline Studios, Asobo Studio, Coldwood, Avalanche Studios, Fatshark and a bunch others. Just sign them to publishing deals. Either work on a new IP or give them something from the catalog.
MS have definitely had successful partnerships with Playground, Undead Labs, Moon Studios, Iron Galaxy, and such which I'd like to see more of.

As much as it doesn't seem financially feasible though I do think they should create one more mid to high tier incubation studio to take over previous concepts like a Shangheist or continue development of their owned IP's like Fable, Quantum Break, Crimson Dragon, etc. if their original developers aren't available. 3rd party partnerships work for in their favor financially since they can cut and run without having to pay overhead and such but they also risk having IP's go into stasis (or dead in a worst case scenario) with no studios working on them and having to start shopping around for studios again which can result in major lull's in their lineup.

These in particular stick out to me:

Double Helix - Bought out by Amazon, Iron Galaxy takes over.
Remedy - Isn't working on any exclusives (and I'm sure won't be working with MS anytime soon).
Insomniac - Hands full with Spider-Man & likely Ratchet 2 which means no possibility of Sunset 2 if MS wanted it.
Crytek - No indication of another partnership with MS anytime soon nor selling of Ryse IP.
Platinum - Scalebound deal & relationship fucked.
Darkside Games - Phantom Dust deal fucked, studio closed.
Grounding Inc. - Crimson Dragon with no follow up and team leads didn't even seem involved with Phantom Dust reboot.

You likely have more background info on the deeper circumstances behind some of these and granted some of the issues are due to a game simply not selling well enough. However when it comes to new 3rd party partnerships I feel like they have to play it smarter than before and not get locked out of being able to develop their own published titles as well as preventing souring relationships with their partners.

Rymuth

^ I'd also add

SWERY - D4 doesn't get to have a second season. SWERY goes to kickstart a new game with a new studio.

W.S.

I would work out a deal with Ready at Dawn and have them cook up their next big franchise.

They had a big misstep with The Order that they're still recovering from (not for long if Lone Echo is anything to go by), but overall, they have a proven track record.

The sooner, the better... won't be long before they're known as one of the premier developers in the business. Who knows what kind of money they would demand at that point.
Yeah I've always thought RAD would be a good partner for them. Given their body of work they'd seem like a good fit for a Quantum Break 2 but given their dev time with 1886 maybe it's not the most ideal pairing. Mid tier new IP might work if MS contracted them.

I'd love to see Phil or Shannon take the stage somewhere and announce something like they've signed (insert 3-4 reputable studios here) to publishing deals to create new IP for Xbox. Show Playground's logo, show Gobo's logo, show a surprise or two like Yager or Ninja Theory. They need a spark of excitement in the worst way.

Problem is, they've gotten to the point where everyone will just react cynically to the news. Quite a hole they've dug.
I'd be on board with this, it feels a little too disconcerting in Xbox land.

W.S.

^ I'd also add

SWERY - D4 doesn't get to have a second season. SWERY goes to kickstart a new game with a new studio.
Yeah that was a real shame, not sure what to attribute to that.

It was either too niche, too under-promoted, came out at a bad time or all of the above.

Cranster

Banned
That would make the Minecraft acquisition look like chump change. Please return to reality.

Let's be honest, Microsofts history with Bungie only seems horrible because Bungie are full of themselves and arrogant as fuck most of the time. Marty and other former employees even stated they were stubborn as hell when it came to Microsoft. Especially considering Microsoft gave them alot of favour to keep them happy.

Meanwhile

The Xbox One X preorder page has picked up steam just because MS added the Project Scorpio logo.. and everyone is going to preorder it. Lmao

I guess MS shouldn't worry huh?

sam12

Forget Japan, they need to make a push in emerging markets of Asia and Latin America. China, India, Brazil, Mexico etc. Why not make games with stories relevant to those areas. Would love a game incorporating Indian epic mythologies of Mahabharata/Ramayana.

Top Bottom