• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Illinois became America's failed state (Politico)

Neoweee

raise taxes on the wealthy

Illinois is currently a flat tax, so restructuring into a progressive tax requires way more political willpower than exists today. Quinn would have done it, but he pretty much lost over wanting to raise taxes to save the state.

DogDude

Madigan and his cronies have pretty much destroyed everything. Corrupt and inept governors don't help, but they aren't the real power

Kemal86

It is not Rauner's fault. He is literally trying to fix things and the state democrats will not do anything. Last year for the budget Rauner told Mike Madigan to put all their bs aside to just pass a budget for the schools only so they could stay open then deal with the rest after and Madigan said no. Madigan needs to go. He is a career politician with over 25yrs in office here in IL and him and his cronies are ruining this state. Any who blames Rauner really has no fucking clue on what is going on here in IL and if you thinks this and live here then you have been one blind clueless person, sorry. Those are the facts. This state is screwed no matter what. Something needs to get done, too much corruption for far too long. Just like on the federal level, the voters really are fucking morons!

I live in Illinois and up until a few weeks ago was a state employee.

This is fucking bullshit. Utter garbage nonsense. Go write campaign ads for Donald Trump or some shit. This is delusional. Explain to me how Madigan got a budget done for like twenty years UNTIL Rauner, but it's somehow Madigan's fault. Explain to me how both parties coming together for a compromise budget, and then Rauner himself scuttling it last minute, is Madigan's fault. Go back to Carbondale with this bullshit.

Besides living longer a lot of states are dealing with horrible pension systems. I don't know about IL but in other states you see people with pensions based off their last years total earnings and not salary. They rack up ridiculous over time and receive a pension that is higher then their salary.
Anecdotal, but one of my college instructors was retired Illinois State Police and he said when he retired that it was pretty standard practice to promote a guy on his last day so his pension would figure off of the higher pay bracket.

I live in Illinois and up until a few weeks ago was a state employee.

This is fucking bullshit. Utter garbage nonsense. Go write campaign ads for Donald Trump or some shit. This is delusional. Explain to me how Madigan got a budget done for like twenty years UNTIL Rauner, but it's somehow Madigan's fault. Explain to me how both parties coming together for a compromise budget, and then Rauner himself scuttling it last minute, is Madigan's fault. Go back to Carbondale with this bullshit.

Just getting a budget done doesn't matter if said budgets do not confront the underlying long-term insolvency issue that Illinois has been facing for decades. Rauner inherited the problem and made it worse, but Madigan is intensely complicit in the problems of the state.

Velcro Fly

Illinois was fucked and bankrupt before Rauner got in office. He's not helping any but this is definitely not entirely his fault. And the problem is so big that just getting a budget done isn't going to fix things.

A look into the actual reasons for the budget shortfall (even before the current governor) is tucked away in the article:

A look at Illinois' tax rate shows that it's pitifully low compared to most of its neighbors.

Illinois has the 6th highest property taxes among the 50 states. That is something that's important to keep in mind.

Illinois was fucked and bankrupt before Rauner got in office. He's not helping any but this is definitely not entirely his fault. And the problem is so big that just getting a budget done isn't going to fix things.

Of course just getting the budget done isn't going to instantly fix the problem. We're talking about decades worth of damage here.

But obviously NOT having a budget is making the problem worse.

Illinois is definitely a mess.

My mother was given early retirement in her late 40s in a short sighted effort to reduce spending costs. The state offered her early retirement in exchange for her using all of her years (I think she had 3 years 'saved' up) of accrued time off at once and now she's been receiving a state pension since her early 50s. She happily took the deal as it was as physically grueling job, and she was having a difficult time continuing doing it (A developmental home for severally mentally handicapped adults; a lot of the clients are prone to involuntarily violent episodes, and she was one of the people who took a lot of the brunt of it).

They've been trying to shutter that facility ever since, which would be a disaster, but their solution to budget issues in the meager budget of the Department of Human Services was to add more strain on the concrete shoes that is the overtaxed state pension system.

I'm not exactly sure how to fix the issue(s) in a way that' sustainable without gutting major programs (which Dems and Republicans a like have been want to do). Most people seem to be content with kicking that can down the road.

Thoraxes

Taxes here are already around 10%.

Increasing it more would fucking suck.
Not to mention our extra tax on gas, garbage like Chicago's entertainment tax, and their problem with the fuckery around the teachers pensions in Chicago and and the funds not being used correctly that almost boiled over to the rest of the state footing the bill.

Additionally property taxes have been absolutely spiraling out of control in many suburbs thanks to the school districts and other factors, and they're nearly the highest in the nation.

outsida

Legalize them marijuana's. This state and the major city that resides in it have been corrupt for decades. Its not gonna change anytime soon.

NewLib

Banned
Not to mention our extra tax on gas, garbage like Chicago's entertainment tax, and their problem with the fuckery around the teachers pensions in Chicago and and the funds not being used correctly that almost boiled over to the rest of the state footing the bill.

Additionally property taxes have been absolutely spiraling out of control in many suburbs thanks to the school districts and other factors, and they're nearly the highest in the nation.

This could be partly addressed by reforming the appraisal process for property taxes. There is a lot of property in Cook County that much less relatively in taxes compared to the value of their property than others.

Thoraxes

This could be partly addressed by reforming the appraisal process for property taxes. There is a lot of property in Cook County that much less relatively in taxes compared to the value of their property than others.
It's definitely an issue, yeah.

Syriel

Taxes here are already around 10%.

Increasing it more would fucking suck.

Buh Big gubb'ment stealin' mah paycheck.

Wow. 10%. So high.

That # isn't right, but 10% for a state income tax would be nuts by national standards.

Illinois has a flat income tax. Of states with flat income taxes, Illinois is the highest. But flat taxes are stupid, and the state should change it to be progressive.

Illinois has an extremely low income tax rate, at 3.75%. It used to be 5.00%, but that was lowered in 2015.

By comparison, CA (which as a progressive tax, not a flat tax, so I'll just pull a few mid-tier brackets) charges:
~$30k-$40k = 6.00%
~$40k-$52k = 8.00%
~$52k-263k = 9.30%

IL has stupid cheap income tax, especially when you take the budget issues into consideration.

The Illinois Senate just voted to override the Governor's veto of the latest attempt at getting a budget set for the state. The House will vote, presumably on Thursday, as to whether they also support the override. It seems like they will override the veto, which should mean that Illinois will have a $36 bln spending plan in place, their first budget since 2015.

However, with this budget comes a 32% increase on personal income tax (from 3.75% to ~5%; Illinois has a flat tax) and 29% increase on corporate income tax (from 5% to 7%).

Basically, this figure is about to get a bit uglier for Illinois:

bTVepIZ.png

Happy to see a budget possibly go through though. It'll go a long way to helping with our credit rating as well as support for universities, rural communities, and infrastructure.

Rauner hasn't fixed it, but I doubt anyone could fix the mess that's been building in Illinois for decades, so it seems a bit silly to blame Rauner for this mess. Illinois has been promising too much money for pensions and underfunding them for too long.

Pretty spot on.

I wonder of Kansas will be next due to how they changed the taxes.

Top Bottom