• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important is Local Multiplayer important to you?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Zero. No local gamer friends, fiancé doesn't like games, not having kids.

Online coop I love as my gamer friends/family all live hundreds of miles away.

Love it, I like playing games together with my friends or girlfriend in the same room.

My guests #1 question when they see a game is "is it 2 player?"

eefara

Super important! I don't care about online multiplayer at all, but if I can play the game with my roommate, it's automatically 100% more fun! Thank goodness Nintendo is keeping it alive; I can't wait to play on the Switch with my roomie.

Among my friends, the use of online multi varies. Some are pretty much solely PC games, so they of course use online more often. Others with consoles will do into online (typically Souls games, super smash bros., Splatoon), but they're all down for couch co-op if the opportunity arises.

gabelsqt

Extremely important. It is the main reason I play games: to enjoy them with my girlfriend and my friends.

Co-op modes are specially welcome, and when we get a co-op RPG, oh boy... We've had a great time playing Child of Light, Star Ocean 2, Tales of Xillia and Diablo-like games.

It is a pity that the industry seemed to be moving away from this after the 360/PS3.

geordiemp

Not important whatsoever

all multiplayer is done online.

Yup, we have 2 Ps4 and 2 Tv's....even sharing a 55 inch is naff, never mind sharing something smaller.

Online coop is where it is at. Feel free to split a screen for those sharing a console, but make sure proper online coop is a priority - GTA 5 cant be wrong.

Ifrit

It's extremely important for me, I don't find online multiplayer as fun as local multiplayer, it also affects my purchase decisions, like buying Diablo 3 or Borderlands on Playstation instead of PC just because of local multiplayer. Btw, it really sucks when a console game get split screen multiplayer, but for some reason, that same game on PC don't get that or controller support.

Say what you want about Call of Duty, but those games get a sell from me because they have at least a mode with local multiplayer, or best case escenario, the whole campaign in split screen coop (like BLOPS 3). Gears of War and Halo (before Halo 5) are another great ones. Of course Nintendo games are great with this too.

I have experience many situations where me and my friends go to another friend's house with a new console with many games, only to find out that there's nothing to play on local muliplayer, which is a real bummer.

Sendou

Now more so than ever before. Local co-op especially. It's just about having the company to make it happen I think.

Asking me 10 years ago I would say local multiplayer is important because of the social aspect. Now it is much harder to gather friends together to have a game night on a consistent basis. Online multiplayer in some aspect is essential.

Trup1aya

I never realized how important it was until the games I like stopped having the feature. No local MP or LAN support was devestating for Halo 5.

No I wouldn't have used it often, but there were several disappointing moments when I would have but couldn't

Once my son comes of age local Mp is gonna be a definate must

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's like a precious animal on the verge of extinction, about to get a brand new natural park.

I used to play local multiplayer a lot, that's how I cemented friendship with my closest friends. I still do it with my kids, not with people my age. Switch will remedy to that.

Generally, I like local multiplayer, because I don't like buying everyone I know a copy of game I'd like to play together with them. This is not a decision to be taken lightly. In fact now I think of it everyone who plays stuff online together around here sticks to F2P titles.

Some things though are really bad. Two that come to mind: auxiliary helper mode (Mario Galaxy) and overabundance of shared screen in level traversal games (sorry, Durante, I miss split-screen at this point).

Ghandi

Banned
Very important.

I want people to talk about Halo 4´s splitscreen for a sec.
First and foremost
Halo 4´s splitscreen wasnt all that great to begin with.

The reason for this is the drop in framerate into the single digits on forge maps
combinend with pop in of other players, which is in an online fps were real deal breakers.

Arguably Halo 4 pushed the 360 to its limits, but it should undeniably be noted a big reason in the splitscreen player drop compared to its predecessors, 3 and reach, was because they handled the drop in quality and performance much more gracefully.

Do we have splitscreen numbers on Halo 3 and reach?
And is offline playtime included?

Me and my friends are very dissapointed in the lack of a nice splitscreen shooter on ps4 and xbone.(No GOW4 palyers, but are jelly of playerbase)
I have a second ps4 controller and never use it despite having friends at home all the time.

I see the reasoning of not-inclusion of splitscreen the same as I see the choice of going 30fps.

Nicer promo pictures.

890d779fcfb6006d470dd166da941b16.jpg

Edit: so my opinion is: Good implemented Splitscreen is important and bad splitscreen is not. just like any other feature probably.

sknygy

Neo Member
Depends on the game but for the most part some form of "more than one player" mode locally is important. Not only for the sheer fun of competing against someone you can see! Depending on the game, experiencing something together with someone you know can not be matched playing online with strangers.

Not important at all. I'm done with college, live in a different city. All my friends are elsewhere. Gotta do online multiplayer now.

Not much of a fan of split screen but more LAN style multiplayer is awesome. Some games like smash brothers and Mario kart are the exceptions for split screen.

As you said maybe it is nostalgia driven it but halo LAN was amazing and perfect dark/golden eye.

Online play is just hard to get everyone on at the same time and people don't have time for that usually. On top of friends getting different systems.

Coxy100

Banned
Very important. I couldn't give a shit about online multiplayer (except for the odd destiny session).

I'm 34 and when we have friends round who like gaming we like to get rocket league or overcooked on. Can't beat couch multiplayer. I love playing with my wife too - only ever played 2 games together - so for me it's far more important than playing online

Pinkuss

Extremely important. Friends come to mine on a weekend and we have a few drinks, drink and play games.

It used to be Halo and PES but I got a Wii U last year and Smash and Mario Kart took over (and a brief period of nothing but Broforce in the middle).

Future

Right now not at all. Old as fuck with young kids that ain't playin games right now. The days I head over to random friend house to play games is over

Might eventually be important when the kids get older though

Nairume

Banned
It's extremely important for me, as my wife and I play a lot of coop games and we do local play with friends regularly enough.

Halo 5 dropping splitscreen caused me to hold off on getting it until it dropped in price.

wildfire

Banned
It's greatly appreciated.

I suggest you try to pin down percentage usage by age group. Adults have much less time for local multiplayer and the average gamer is much older compared to the 80s and 90s.

I see kids using online multiplayer more frequently than I or my friends used to because the tech simply wasn't great back then but they also still love playing side by side as well and they have the time to do it.

I personally rarely get to do local multiplayer but I set up my home to allow it when I do have friends and family over.

Not important at all. It is extremely rare I'm in a situation to take advantage of it. That said, I do own a couple games for the sole reason of those rare occasions, but they almost feel like a waste of money considering how little I actually play them. Because of that, I do appreciate it when it's included in games I otherwise bought for online play even if I'm barely going to use it.

I'm in a crazy world if you guys think online is more important than local...

Local is the most important multiplayer feature by a mile!

I feel like online over local had been starting to wear thin, in a world where "social" features are really just single people wearing blindfolds, communicating and interacting with other humans, supposedly, via cold machines.

Personally I've been done with social networking for a long time now, and while I love videogames, quickly, board games are becoming the more interesting hobby.

When my friends and I get together, and we do play videogames (we usually prioritize board games now), 10/10 times it's because we're playing local multiplayer games on steam... Crawl, Duck Game, Speed Runners, Toto Temple Deluxe, etc etc

Let me tell you exactly how ridiculous it is for two brothers to play many of today's 'multiplayer games' together..

You know something's not right when in order to play a gmultiplayer game together, you need to buy, not just two controllers, not just two systems, not just two games, not just all that and two TVs, and not just all that, but also two fucking online subscriptions.... So despite the rare scenario where two brothers bring all of the hardware they need together (maybe a thousand dollars between them) in the same room, they still need to spend 120 dollars collectively on online subscriptions, despite being right next to eachother.. Can't just system connect with wifi.. Can't use an Ethernet cable... It's a fucking joke...

.. But despite all that, I wanted to play Bloodborne with my brother.. Guess what. We had way more fun playing it together when in the same room than playing online, but it's such a fucking hassle, we only did it a couple times, and I couldn't even get his interest into playing online. He's got better things to do in real life than play videogames in a room by himself.

Similarly, you know there's a twisted issue when it's more convenient for friends or family to leave to their own homes to play a game together than simply being in eachother's company.

Just yesterday, I went to a friend's to play games. He asked if I brought my Playstation and uncharted 4, so we could play together. I said, no it's a fucking hassle, and he'd have to demand that of me ahead of time if we're gonna do it. Instead we played local steam games and had a blast of course, but not before lamenting that Uncharted 4 didn't have a split screen mode like Uncharted 3 did.

I don't care how you cut the framerate or graphics.. Get that mode in there.

20 years later, playing N64 multiplayer, in some cases, at sub 20 fps, is difficult to enjoy, but at the time it was immeasurably fun!

But again, today, especially, I think it's important to move away from the idea of isolated gaming.. A hobby where it's best done alone, with thousands of dollars of junk..
Uh-Uh, this isn't what the future of gaming should be, and we've already seen the rejection of the extreme of that, with VR headsets.

I'm going to be a parent soon, and while considering the types of things to have around the house, videogames are probably not one of them, unless we can make it a real life social activity for the family whenever it comes out of the closet.

Like I said, it's a cold fucking world when even if you're in the same room, you can't play a multiplayer game together, but instead, you'd have to leave eachother's company, and go home to your lifeless technology in order to simulate a social human interaction.

If you're making a game with multiplayer features, local should always be your priority. Split screen first, then LAN, and if all you can do to play a game together is sit alone at home, you should reconsider your multiplayer game design. (But it's a good addition to local play of course)

I hope I'm not alone in this.

I'm a huge skeptic of switch, but if there's one thing that gets me to buy it, it'll be the local multiplayer potential. They better not skimp on 4 player split screen either, but mostly I'm hoping for a bevy of games designed to be played without having to split the screen 4 or more ways (Though I need to add this.. 4 player split screen on a 1080 or higher tv is very tolerable. It's probably been a while since any game gave the option and you've had the opportunity).

Don't you think that local mp could help with that?

Having a bi-weekly or monthly gaming session at someones house could bring you closer again. Adding themes and new games helps to stop it getting stale. Once a month isn't a big ask but you'll be amazed at how some games you only play once for an hour or so can give you memories that are priceless.

I wish it was as simple as that. I'm out of college. I live in a different city than I grew up in. The fact is, most of my friends that I used to have over for local MP stuff live in a different corner of the country now. Most of my new local friends aren't as big on video gaming and every time we do end up at our place instead of out somewhere else, it's for Rock Band or VR (which I'd argue local MP is more important to me right now for). Like I said, I do have a couple of games that I can pull up when they come over (Overcooked, Gang Beasts), but they don't get played that much and the fact that I own them isn't some lightning rod for everyone to want to come over for unfortunately.

Mihos

Gold Member
Not at all. I really only need like 2 or 3 multiplayer games total as a goto, other than that, multiplayer in general, even online, is a turn off

Teppic

It depends on the game and system. More important for me with handheld systems. Important for console games since they have paid online. Costs less to buy one game versus several (I usually gift a few copies of PC games to play online). Ideally I want both.

Griss

Adds absolutely nothing for me.

Would rather any of that time be put into online modes. As a Nintendo gamer, their focus on local multi is a source of constant frustration. Does nothing for me.

EDIT: I live in the Caribbean. My brother lives in Canada. My sister lives in Denmark. My parents live in Ireland. My friends are in the US, France, Spain, Ireland... I barely ever get to see any of these people in person and when I do I can assure you that playing video games together isn't at the forefront of our minds. Welcome to the modern world. Your social group grows up, gets jobs and scatters to the wind. Online gaming is how you play together, if at all.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Lots of people are extremely one side or the other.

I usually look to see if a game on steam has local coop and it helps influence my decision. I've played Castle Crashers, Dungeon Siege 3, Secret of Mana, Binding of Isaac, Gang Beasts, D&D: Daggerdale through with local coop. Some were better than others.

It isn't a deal breaker and it doesn't suite every game.

Brofield

Absolutely important. Nintendo is what made gaming a social aspect for me. Even now, I want to buy more local multiplayer games for PS4 to justify owning four controllers, but beyond Rocket League, Gauntlet and Overcoooked, I can't quite seem to find a whole lot of choice. Zombie Vikings I am looking forward to, but since it was teased it's coming out on Switch I'm going to wait for that. Overlord looks amusing and I might grab it while it's on sale this weekend.

At the end of the day, being able to shove friends off the couch for pulling dick moves is what makes local multi so much fun.

Temascos

Neo Member
Yes, Local Multiplayer is hugely important to me. If I am buying a multiplayer focused game it damn well better have Local support. I loved that about Warhawk on PS3 where I could do splitscreen with my friends online, if that option wasn't available I wouldn't have given the game a second glance.

My primary mode of gaming is Single Player offline, if it has online gameplay I'll gladly dip in but a game that is able to fill all those spots are fantastic for me.

I usually end up playing games like -

Burnout 3
Timesplitters Future Perfect
Mario Party series

Those are the go to titles with my close friends, I'd love to expand that to include more which is why I got the lightgun games which support two players like House Of The Dead Overkill.

I'm a single player first sort of guy, so i'm not too concerned if any game has multiplayer.

With that said, if it DOES? It usually NEEDS local.

I got hyped for Anarchy Reigns when Platinum had all those trailers boasting about its characters. But then, it turned out to be online only. A niche game with some badass multiplayer that looked better than Smash Bros being online only really neutered its potential and to this day, i consider that platinum's biggest dissapointment.

Memory

I wish it was as simple as that. I'm out of college. I live in a different city than I grew up in. The fact is, most of my friends that I used to have over for local MP stuff live in a different corner of the country now. Most of my new local friends aren't as big on video gaming and every time we do end up at our place instead of out somewhere else, it's for Rock Band or VR (which I'd argue local MP is more important to me right now for). Like I said, I do have a couple of games that I can pull up when they come over (Overcooked, Gang Beasts), but they don't get played that much and the fact that I own them isn't some lightning rod for everyone to want to come over for unfortunately.

Understandable and it highlights part of the issue I have with online focus, if AAA devs focused on unique and awesome local experiences your friends would be more likely to want to play them.

My non gamer friends rarely request to play Indies but lose their shit when we make bets on MK8 and Smash. If the AAA market was actually making local mp games that you need to play socially like rock band I'm sure more people would make the time and not just see them as lesser experiences.

Hopefully we will see some good local games that we can use to encourage more people to play with us in the future. For now only Nintendo and Steam are delivering the goods.

Elixist

Splitscreen is very uninteresting to me.

On the other hand, decent shared screen local cooperative gameplay (and for the main campaign, not some tacked-on "modes") increases the likelihood that I'll buy a game by at least 500%. Probably more than that.

Edit:
Actually, certainly more than that, looking at the makeup of my Steam library compared to the overall ratio of shared screen cooperative games on the platform.
I agree mostly. I can still dig split a bit tho. But shared screen with a great camera can increase interest from me alot.

farisr

Extremely important depending on the game.

A game with local mulltiplayer options is way more likely to get purchased by me than one without it.

I racked up 400+ hours in Mario Kart 8, exclusively in 4 player splitscreen. Being able to play the "campaign" and get stars while in that mode, while also competing against each other at the same time was brilliant. Friend bought a wii u entirely due to this game as well after playing it at my place. We didn't even touch online for that game.

Knack is one of my (and my friend's) favorite games from this and last due to being able to go through the game with 2 players on hard. Dude was over every day, 5 days in a row until we finished it.

If a game wants me to play online, then it better have at least 2 player splitscreen, cause I'm very likely not playing it otherwise. This is the reason why I buy COD every year even if I'm not interested in the campaign and is undoubtedly the most played game pretty much every year.

Rocket League gets a lot of play by us due to the 4player splitscreen as well.

Halo 5 was a massive disappointment from the getgo due to lack of splitscreen altogether, I think the gameplay was good enough to get my friends to buy an xbox one if it had 2 player splitscreen online for the multiplayer at least.

Friends have bought and sold Battlefield for the exact reason as well. Even though they liked it as a change of pace from COD, they sold it and just went back to playing COD due to more than one player being able to play at once.

And yeah, I'm really grateful for Nintendo because they heavily focus on local multiplayer experiences.

paulogy

I love local multiplayer, and always have. From my first days playing in arcades (Bad Dudes, Final Fight, SFII, MK, TMNT etc.) to NES & Genesis (Blades of Steel, Streets of Rage), to PlayStation and now (Tekken, PixelJunk Monsters, Rock Band, Helldivers, Jackbox, Towerfall!) a good portion of my most enjoyable times playing games, has been with someone else (or a few someones) on the couch with me.

Even landmark single player games like Silent Hill 1 & 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, ICO, Journey, and more recently The Last Guardian (loved it!) I played with a buddy.

I do love a good solitary experience every now and then (eg: The Witness, also amazing) but in most cases I find myself deferring purchases on those games knowing I can always pick it up at a discount down the line. Games with co-op, or local versus play I tend to buy earlier more frequently, to have for an upcoming gathering, or because I can imagine myself enjoying the overall experience more.

I bought Child of Light because it had co-op. I bought Organ Trail because it did. I wish Costume Quest 1 & 2 did!

So for me, it is enough to tip the scales toward a purchase, or an earlier purchase, even for games I might not have been as interested in personally, because I can imagine the social experience happening as an extra level of fun.

stilgar

Very important. Nothing replaces the joy of looking the tears on your friend's face right after a blue shell a couple meters before the end of the race.

Top Bottom