• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is bad breath still a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan X

Banned
I take a train to work and from work every day, and have noticed some foul stench that makes me completely nautious, I wonder if this is it... I never knew what it was, but sometimes people walk near and I start smelling it. Honestly the worst thing I've ever smelled, and I encounter it at least 3-4 days a week.

Definitely must be sinus. If it makes you want to throw up from the moment you smelt it then it's someone with a sinus problem.

Next time, if I smell that from someone and I'm not travelling far then I'm going to leave my seat and go to the next carriage. The foulness from someone with a sinus problem is GHASTLY enough to make me want to throw-up rainbows. The thing is, a person with this problem may not be able to smell it but they should be able to taste something strange at the upper back of their throat.

People, trust me, I am not kidding. Sinus stench is disgustingly bad. If you taste something bad from yourself then you may have a stench problem. I prefer someone with a B.O. problem than a sinus problem any day of the week. Yes, it's that bad.

tonsil stones are fucking awful.. wanted to get my tonsils removed just because of those fuckers

I can't figure out what causes them either.. but I think I narrowed it down to coffee and alcohol and possibly not drinking enough water

pa22word

tonsil stones are fucking awful.. wanted to get my tonsils removed just because of those fuckers

I can't figure out what causes them either.. but I think I narrowed it down to coffee and alcohol and possibly not drinking enough water

Try getting the damned things taken out only to have 'em grow right the hell back a decade later.

Sturdy fuckers, and I remember the surgery being hell (was 12) too. Hear it's even harder on adults.

I am stunned by the amount of people I encounter day to day that consistently have terrible breath. I'm talking about breath so bad that when they open their mouths it smells like a garbage dump. I always end up asking myself, how? There are dozens of options to fight bad breath. Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Floss, and Mouthwash can all be purchased for a buck a piece at any dollar store. On top of that, if you are a particularly lazy person that cant be bothered to brush your teeth in the mornings, There are a myriad of breath mint and chewing gum options for cheap. Am i missing something here GAF? How is bad breath still a problem in modern society?

Bad teeth, bad gums might be a reason, many people don't have dental insurance

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I am stunned by the amount of people I encounter day to day that consistently have terrible breath. I'm talking about breath so bad that when they open their mouths it smells like a garbage dump. I always end up asking myself, how? There are dozens of options to fight bad breath. Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Floss, and Mouthwash can all be purchased for a buck a piece at any dollar store. On top of that, if you are a particularly lazy person that cant be bothered to brush your teeth in the mornings, There are a myriad of breath mint and chewing gum options for cheap. Am i missing something here GAF? How is bad breath still a problem in modern society?

You do realize that these don't always work? There are other medical reasons as to why someone may have bad breath.

riotous

Banned
I've known a few people who have bad breath who don't brush their teeth enough; ex-roommates who I was unfortunately aware of their hygiene. They all prescribed to this weird over-stated claim that "brushing your teeth doesn't help bad breath"... like.. just because your tongue and other aspects are a big part of your bad breath.... teeth that aren't brushed can also stink and contribute.. and guess what.. brushing your teeth also puts toothpaste in your entire mouth and at least gives your tongue a rinse lol.

The rule of thumb I've always followed is lick the back of your hand, let it sit a bit to sort of dry, then smell it. If it stinks even a little your breath is foul. Have seriously no idea where I first heard this but I've been doing it since I was a kid and it's always led me true afaik.

I just did that. It smells like my girlfriend's pussy. I did not go down on her today.

Get off your high horse OP.
For all you know you have it too. I used to frequent a bad breath forum when I started noticing people reacting to me differently while I was taking an antidepressant. Short of it is, those people are probably 10x more hygienic than you, chewing gums, brushing relentlessly their entire mouths including tongues, special brushes, pastes, washes, sinus rinsing, supplements, medicines, parasite removal, endless special diets, colon cleanse, fecal transplant, going to the ends of the earth to try to solve their problems but the large majority can't, spending thousands of dollars, throwing it into the wind desperately looking for cures. Many of them end up suicidal after constant humiliation and endless reminders of their living nightmares. People like you saying shit about "brush your teeth you slob" or "chew gum!" haven't a fucking clue.

I had awful tonsil stones that had a terrible taste, eventually go tonsils out and that probably helped immensely but I think my real problem was years of anxiety and stress causing an ulcer, which went unnoticed until years later I got an endoscopy which showed an ulcer scar. Since going on a mostly sugar free diet, my anxiety has been down and I rarely feel that burn in a specific spot in my stomach. I have friends and a girlfriend and a baby on the way and I know I don't have it, or at least not the way I did for several years during my most stressful times, and certainly not to the extent that a lot of people apparently have it and can't do anything about.

Anybody throwing shame about, you just wait till it's you. Wait till it happens to you and you're living in a nightmare you can't wake up from. Wait till you feel so isolated and disgusting you're looking up how to end your life, only to hang on to try the next new product from a likely scam artist because nothing helped and you still grasp for any and every glimmer of hope.

It's a symptom of an issue in the body and it's a common malady for any number of issues not easily resolved.

What's funny is that if you had it, you wouldn't be able to sense it. Even not chronic people sometimes have terrible breath. If you smell it as often as you think you do, it may in fact be back draft from your own mouth. Chew on that next time you get a strange look or someone quickly shoots air out of their nostrils. Even you probably fucking wreak.

JimiNutz

Banned
I find it's mostly coffee drinkers that have stank breath, it's one of the reasons I don't drink it.

The worst is coffee drinkers and smokers - the combination together is deadly.
I knew a girl who started her morning with a cigarette and a cup of black coffee every day.

Doesn't matter how much you brush and floss, you start your morning with a cigarette and a black coffee and your breath is gonna stink like shit...

Some people drink coffee and smoke all day as well, it's pretty common.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Consider that the concept of halitosis was invented by Listerine to sell mouthwash in the early 20th century. Sure, people had bad breath before that, and had various remedies for instances of it, but the idea that all human mouths should smell like a sterile minty spring garden at all times is not only incredibly recent, but one entirely invented by Wall Street.

Don't know if anyone already mentioned it, but look up tonsil stones some time. A ton of people have this problem, it's super gross and hard to deal with. All the brushing in the world won't help with that stink.

Consider that the concept of halitosis was invented by Listerine to sell mouthwash in the early 20th century. Sure, people had bad breath before that, and had various remedies for instances of it, but the idea that all human mouths should smell like a sterile minty spring garden at all times is not only incredibly recent, but one entirely invented by Wall Street.
Minty fresh breath is the natural evolution of man.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I know when I was hardcore low carbing, ketosis made my breath STINK! There really didn't seem to be much of anything I could do about it. I was luckily completely oblivious to it. Sometimes it's not people's faults!

Snagret

I just got my tonsils taken out last month because of them. They're caused by any food getting stuck in the cavities in your tonsils, and staying there long enough till they start calcifying. My "crypts" were so deep that I couldn't physically remove my tonsil stones completely, so I was stuck with raunchy breath pretty much all the time and it was hell, I could taste how bad my breath was regularly and it drove me nuts. For a long time I didn't understand what was going on, I was flossing after every meal, brushing 3 times a day followed by gargling mouth wash. Nothing helped.

Then I found out about the tonsil stones and started attempting to remove them myself. It was awful, there were always a lot of them and my tonsils needed a lot of convincing to let them go, usually they'd start bleeding and I'd have to stop. It was absolutely horrible.

Getting my tonsils out was the best medical procedure I've ever had done. Recovery pretty much just involved me lying around for a couple weeks on percocet. It healed up pretty quickly and now my bad breath is completely cured. If you can find an ENT who'll do it for you and you can afford to take time off work, I'd say go for it 100%

This is one of those modern capitalist inventions I'm completely fine with, tbh.

Kysen

My brother when he was younger had a cavity in one of his teeth and holy fuck did his mouth stink because of it. At that point no amount of brushing would resolve it, had to go to the dentist to remove the whole tooth.
At work the ones whole always have bad breath are the coffee drinkers and smokers, it's horrible.

JB1981

I think you're being facetious here and admit the statement gave me a good laugh but I'm fairly sure halitosis is a real thing.

For all you know you have it too. I used to frequent a bad breath forum when I started noticing people reacting to me differently while I was taking an antidepressant. Short of it is, those people are probably 10x more hygienic than you, chewing gums, brushing relentlessly their entire mouths including tongues, special brushes, pastes, washes, sinus rinsing, supplements, medicines, parasite removal, endless special diets, colon cleanse, fecal transplant, going to the ends of the earth to try to solve their problems but the large majority can't, spending thousands of dollars, throwing it into the wind desperately looking for cures. Many of them end up suicidal after constant humiliation and endless reminders of their living nightmares. People like you saying shit about "brush your teeth you slob" or "chew gum!" haven't a fucking clue.

I had awful tonsil stones that had a terrible taste, eventually go tonsils out and that probably helped immensely but I think my real problem was years of anxiety and stress causing an ulcer, which went unnoticed until years later I got an endoscopy which showed an ulcer scar. Since going on a mostly sugar free diet, my anxiety has been down and I rarely feel that burn in a specific spot in my stomach. I have friends and a girlfriend and a baby on the way and I know I don't have it, or at least not the way I did for several years during my most stressful times, and certainly not to the extent that a lot of people apparently have it and can't do anything about.

Anybody throwing shame about, you just wait till it's you. Wait till it happens to you and you're living in a nightmare you can't wake up from. Wait till you feel so isolated and disgusting you're looking up how to end your life, only to hang on to try the next new product from a likely scam artist because nothing helped and you still grasp for any and every glimmer of hope.

It's a symptom of an issue in the body and it's a common malady for any number of issues not easily resolved.

What's funny is that if you had it, you wouldn't be able to sense it. Even not chronic people sometimes have terrible breath. If you smell it as often as you think you do, it may in fact be back draft from your own mouth. Chew on that next time you get a strange look or someone quickly shoots air out of their nostrils. Even you probably fucking wreak.
Thank you for this. Really appreciate the insight as someone who has never had any problems with bad breath.

When you see people with nasty problems it's very easy to just concentrate on your own feelings of being disgusted, instead of trying to think from the other person's point of view.

Zaphrynn

I thankfully don't suffer from bad breath, but I'm also not going to act like someone I don't know is a subhuman slob because they have bad breath. I swear this forum is terrified of the human body.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is a huge fear of mine. And it's always on my mind some way ever since I removed a tiny tonsil stone a few years ago.
That shit simply can't be solved by regular oral hygiëne. That's just ignorant.

But ever since I had one, i'm paranoid to get them again. I brush religiously, I tend to always breathe away from people when i'm close to them, always chew mints and/or gum.

Worst Coworker breath combo is coffee and cigarettes. Literally smells like you shit from your mouth. Get a toothbrush and buy BOGO chewing gum to bring with you to work. I always have gum on hand at all times, and Im a good enough person to offer it to others even though its because I selfishly don't want to smell their stank breath 😂

Plus bad breath is still a thing, because we underestimate how nasty and filthy people live in their private lives. Hell, there are people that take a shower once a week and find it to be absolutely ok 🤢

Mohonky

Because we're animals?

We're sacks of flesh that emit all sorts of smells and substances.

The idea modernity somehow gets rid of that is kinda naive.

This. OP what makes you think you dont have bad breath?

There are numerous reasons someone can have bad breathe, hygiene of course, but numerous other factors beyond a persons control.

You might as well ask why peoples shit still stinks.

gogogow

Shockingly, here in Japan, I've smelt more bad breath from Asian women! Some ladies think they are so good looking that they probably think that nothing is wrong with them from a hygiene point of view. Well, some of you girls' breath smell HARSH!!! No, nothing to do with food such as kimchi, it just proper smell stinky because other than their face and initial looks, they do not take better care of themselves. UGH!

Is kimchi that popular in Japan (with girls)?

This. OP what makes you think you dont have bad breath?

There are numerous reasons someone can have bad breathe, hygiene of course, but numerous other factors beyond a persons control.

You might as well ask why peoples shit still stinks.

Don't be ridiculous.

Bad breath is something that's easily fixed. Even if you have a medical condition that results in bad breath, there are things you can do to reduce the smell or eliminate it entirely.

And comparing bad breath to actual waste matter? Come on my dude. Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom