• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Nintendo hurt by not doing an E3 press conference?

Amir0x

Banned
Here's the thing. Whether they -need- the conference or not, it gives them better press coverage. It's just more visible. So I always have to stop and ask myself: why can't they do the Nintendo Direct, the Smash Tournament, and ALSO have a conference?

ktynn

Banned
Here's the thing. Whether they -need- the conference or not, it gives them better press coverage. It's just more visible. So I always have to stop and ask myself: why can't they do the Nintendo Direct, the Smash Tournament, and ALSO have a conference?

I think doing a conference costs a shitload of money, and they'll be directly compared with Sony and Microsoft, which might not be such a good thing for them?

By ignoring the conference and doing things their own way they are actually telling us that they've got their own vision and (hidden) agenda, adressing the elephant (themselves) in the room before we can.

Sendou

Absolutely speaking you are right but the question isn't whether it is more visible. The question is how much and what are the risks and costs included. I mean during E3 2011 when Miyamoto showed Skyward Sword off I bet he was thinking that "I sure wish this was pre-recorded show right about now". Failing with press conferences at E3 isn't anomaly either. It's the norm. Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, EA, Konami and Ubisoft have all had that happen. It's not negligible fact.

If all people buying Nintendo games were like we're here on NeoGAF then absolutely: not doing a conference wouldn't be a question but this just isn't the case. Nintendo still has the most casual audience out of the big three. They couldn't care less about these things. Press will still report about Nintendo's new products whether Iwata is doing it live there or not. In fact it might be better than Iwata is doing PR. Giving interviews. That sort of stuff. That really gets the headlines.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is sad for so many reasons. Lets assume Nintendo has big announcements for the WiiU like a Zelda or a new Metroid, those games deserves to be up on the big stage, not on a Nintendo Direct.

What does the big stage provide that a stream doesn't for the average person. It's a TV with a system hooked up to it not a theatre performance. Besides a stream allows them to easily jump to different parts of a game while explaining it because it is all edited before hand. Stage demo tend to involve us watching one guy play a game really boringly. I mean when you watch a friend play a game you can still be involved by assisting them, with a stage demo you're just a passive viewer bored at home while someone demonstrates mountain climbing in CoD for five minutes straight. And we don't even need the stage for that since the show room floor has lots of opportunities for people to get footage of playing the game and it is often better since it's not even scripted.

StuBurns

Banned
The writings on the wall for the Wii U, Nintendo shouldn't be announcing anything for it, maybe it's as simple as they really don't have anything that would lead to anything but devastating silence from the audience. No one expects applause from a Direct.

one_kill

The writings on the wall for the Wii U, Nintendo shouldn't be announcing anything for it, maybe it's as simple as they really don't have anything that would lead to anything but devastating silence from the audience. No one expects applause from a Direct.
lul wut

"just talking loud
and saying nothing"

oh.

Of course they need the press. I already said that. What is preventing the mainstream press from reporting this information? Nintendo still had a live conference in their booth specifically for the press.

And I disagree that what the gaming press is doing isn't of concern. They have more power than you give them credit for. They have significant sway over mindshare that their articles can convince a significant chunk of people, including the mainstream press, that Nintendo isn't going to be present or that their presence will be minimal or unimportant.

No conspiracy is required. Anybody paying attention should be able to tell that the media relishes in spectacle and controversy, if Nintendo isn't willing to provide either then they won't get any attention.

Of course with how the Wii U has been going they're getting attention, but it's just about all negative, because controversy sells and the Wii U is failing.

If Nintendo actually has compelling line-up, then they'll get buzz. The actual venue, E3 or not, is irrelevant and dispensable. The press may throw a tantrum, but they'll still cover what Nintendo offers and fans will get the info one way or another.

Sure, fans will. The problem for Nintendo is that based off of Wii U sales trends their dedicated fans don't even make up 10% of the overall market. Talking to fans isn't the problem, fans would be happy with a blog post, the problem is finding a way to talk to everyone else.

I follow gaming news pretty closely (albeit not as closely as prior years) and I didn't even know when exactly the Nintendo Direct was until after it had already occurred and I promise you I'm not alone in that.

Absolutely speaking you are right but the question isn't whether it is more visible. The question is how much and what are the risks and costs included. I mean during E3 2011 when Miyamoto showed Skyward Sword off I bet he was thinking that "I sure wish this was pre-recorded show right about now". Failing with press conferences at E3 isn't anomaly either. It's the norm. Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, EA, Konami and Ubisoft have all had that happen. It's not negligible fact.

If all people buying Nintendo games were like we're here on NeoGAF then absolutely: not doing a conference wouldn't be a question but this just isn't the case. Nintendo still has the most casual audience out of the big three. They couldn't care less about these things. Press will still report about Nintendo's new products whether Iwata is doing it live there or not. In fact it might be better than Iwata is doing PR. Giving interviews. That sort of stuff. That really gets the headlines.

Nobody who isn't already neck-deep in gaming is going to care about the CEO of some game company giving an interview. Do you care when Jamie Dimon gives an interview on CNBC? If not why do you think that people who don't already strongly identify as gamers would care if Iwata gives one on Gametrailers?

Today's Mario Kart Direct was amazing... Plenty of information and not limited by a scheduled time slot.

I'll take well thought out Directs over a unorganized press conference any day.

StuBurns

Banned
They gonna make another Zelda on the next console so dont worry
And that would take time. Why not kick off the next platform with a huge must play title? It seems like a no brainer to me. There's really nothing to gain from making costly Wii U exclusives, they should focus exclusively on what comes next. Obviously they can't cancel anything announced, but luckily Zelda isn't announced.

And that would take time. Why not kick off the next platform with a huge must play title? It seems like a no brainer to me. There's really nothing to gain from making costly Wii U exclusives, they should focus exclusively on what comes next. Obviously they can't cancel anything announced, but luckily Zelda isn't announced.
There is something to gain, you gain the consumers you already have. Wii U owners are expecting a brand new Zelda and they are gonna give it to them. They will buy the next console for a brand new Zelda too simple as that. Everything is just so simple in everyones eyes as if they got R&D teams themselves or something. Please

mclem

And that would take time. Why not kick off the next platform with a huge must play title?

And that's a Zelda, is it?

If they're going to do that, the only safe bet I can imagine to do it with is a Mario Kart. Do bear in mind they just did something that on paper was exactly that with New Super Mario Bros U, and it really didn't have the desired effect.

Jado

Banned
Stopped reading here; he was being patronizing and you kind of are too. There's something very arrogant and antagonistic about telling someone to stop posting in a thread because other people allegedly can't handle perceived 'truth'.

No, you didn't.

Regarding Mr. Macintosh being "patronizing," he brought up the very valid point that a number of people in this thread are ignoring basic rules of good, effective marketing and have created their own insular nonsense logic on why the Directs are so awesome and perfect (they're not).

What I meant to say is that their current marketing decisions could not possibly be based on the feedback of "crazy elements of the fandom" if the guy in charge of marketing hasn't even been around long enough to absorb any such feedback. I don't know what their expectations or long term plans for the results they achieve with the e3 events are now, so perhaps they are getting out of it what they want, concerning the WiiU and 3DS. Maybe Nintendo is mostly concerned with the Japanese performance of their consoles for instance, and E3 wouldn't matter for that.

I was being facetious -- you're reading too much into it. Of course Nintendo doesn't literally make plans based on the wishes of this relatively small audience, but they may as well with how poorly they're doing. Instead, Nintendo does their own thing-- often very poorly -- and can then rely on the same old captivated audience to rationalize why it's "good" to everyone who is shaking their heads in disbelief.

That would make too much sense. The "cost" thing doesn't hold water as its a drop in the bucket to put on a decent show. The "not enough content" thing should have been addressed by not being unprepared with droughts and actually working with third parties. The "people fumbled and big mistakes were made in past shows" thing can/should be addressed with talented presenters and careful control of possible technical issues. Nintendo does a shit job with shit content and shit speakers, and somehow this is perfectly reasonable rationale for scaling back to pitiful Directs? Please. How about they fucking step up, prepare and impress instead?

The goal is to keep people thinking, "I'll buy that Nintendo console regardless, because even if it fails I know it'll get an awesome Mario, Zelda, Kart, and Smash, if nothing else."

That's what's keeping the Wii U going right now, isn't it?

StuBurns

Banned

If they're going to do that, the only safe bet I can imagine to do it with is a Mario Kart. Do bear in mind they just did something that on paper was exactly that with New Super Mario Bros U, and it really didn't have the desired effect.
I completely disagree. Consider GAF, how many people were excited about Mario U? Practically no one. Nintendo have a core franchises that I think really do make an impact, and Zelda is the biggest of them. Mario Kart has excellent broad appeal, but when you launch a platform, it is the core, the early adopters, that you want to grab, they ride out the early years before you drive price down to more consumer friendly levels. With the exception of the Wii, every successful platform has done that. By not the Wii, I mean the Wii had a launch Zelda, and that no doubt helped, but it would have been huge because of WiiSports/WiiMote anyway, that's what created all that demand. But it's not wise to build a business model on the assumption you'll catch lightning in a bottle every time, because it's not a predictable and repeatable thing. Maybe some people would be irritated to see Nintendo play it safe, I don't know, but I know the Wii U is a write off at this point, and everything Nintendo can do to sweeten the next system, they should, and the next major Zelda there day one is as big a thing as is possible for them.

I feel like this will be 2013 all over again:
-Some glimpses at games current Wii U/3DS owners already know about.
-Couple of surprises that more than likely only cater to current owners
-Absolutely no increased exposure to the general public

Nintendo apathy will continue

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member

There is no wall and there never has been.

The writing is limitless. It's a Nintendo Digital Event. If they are hyping it this early I think it means there's going to be some crazy awesome things in store. Especially since Iwata has loosened the reigns on NOA.

They are using the theatre space for a freaking Smash Bros Tournament. ITS PURE GAMING. Its magical.

luca_aros

Neo Member

THIS?

Top Bottom