• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much should someone shower in a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 times is the bare minimum. It only goes up from there depending on workouts, sports, yard work, etc. Anything less and I have an issue with that.

Edit: Showering every 3rd day is straight nasty. Stop it, GAF.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin...ower-skin1.htm
http://www.today.com/health/daily-sh...oak-2D79325796
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/...wer-every-day/
http://m.essence.com/2015/01/14/you-...tologists-say/
http://jezebel.com/how-often-do-you-...wer-1510228527

I shower at least once a day in the morning. And if it's a busy, physical day I shower again.

Same here. Always in the morning, and If it's too hot or I felt like I sweated above acceptable levels (basically if I feel dirty) then I'll shower again before bed.

I can't stand putting fresh clothes on without having showered first, let alone going out without showering. *shudders*

Splendor

I shower everyday, but I only shampoo my hair every other day. Hair started to get really dry and limp when I shampooed everyday, but it got better once I did it every other day.

LeleSocho

Banned
I've been thinking about this today. I shower once a day, while my parents go without showering for a week, sometimes longer. They think I shower too much, while I don't think they shower enough. How much do you shower in a week?

You and your parents are both right.
You shower way too much, once every other day is plenty and your parents do not shower enough, at least 2-3 times a week is necessary.
Obviously if you work out you should shower every time you finish a session.

entremet

Once a day at least for me.

I go the gym a lot and I shit a lot. I like my butt feeling super ultra clean and I don't have a bidet, so I need my showers.

jamsy

When do you people find the time to shower 8 times a day? Or do you live in the desert and sweat profusely 24 hours a day?

For me, it depends on what I'm doing, but probably averages out to every 1.5-2 days. Obviously if I'm going out or came back from a physical activity, I'll shower as necessary, but I don't have some ingrained rule that I need to take a shower every 6 hours like some of the folks in this thread.

Dyno

Once a day. Sometimes I'll skip a day on the weekend. I also love to get home after work and wash my privates in the bidet. So civilized! It's the perfect thing after getting out of work clothes and before slipping on some comfy indoor clothes.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
This whole shower after poop thing, is it a GAF inside joke or something?

No. Imagine how many particles spray onto your body when taking a shit. Plus I NEVER feel clean when just wiping my ass as thoroughly as possible as compared to actually taking a shower. So, yes, I shower after every time I take a shit.

i sweat alot, i also exercise/workout daily. so its at least 14 times a week for me.

but i hear you shouldnt use shampoo/soap more than once a day, my hair is long-ish and even i can tell how dead it looks after shampooing it because it gets rid of natural/protective oils or something.
so i only use shampoo right before i go to bed, sleeping is the best time for your hair to generate natural and healthy oils if im not mistaken.

i dont have a problem with using soap more than once a day tho..

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
i sweat alot, i also exercise/workout daily. so its at least 14 times a week for me.

but i hear you shouldnt use shampoo/soap more than once a day, my hair is long-ish and even i can tell how dead it looks after shampooing it because it gets rid of natural/protective oils or something.
so i only use shampoo right before i go to bed, sleeping is the best time for your hair to generate natural and healthy oils if im not mistaken.

i dont have a problem with using soap more than once a day tho..

This. I may shower anywhere between two to four times daily (the ceiling value is dependent on how many times I poop, really), but I only soap myself primarily in one or two showers. The rest are pretty much rinses.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I can't shower for less than 45 minutes, I don't feel clean. If I showered after every poop I would lose 3 hours a day on showers. I shower every night.

What the hell? Talk about a waste of water.

As for me, i shower every morning. Takes about 10 minutes at most. I could skip shower for a day if I need, but more than that? I can't. Anyway, a hot shower always feel good, so it's not like it's something annoying to do, like washing dishes.

Acerac

Banned
Well that's fucking weird

It's just not the norm. A lot of people in the thread are less interested in being clean and more interested in feeling clean. If they need to shower for 45 minutes at a time 3 times a day to feel clean it is what it is.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Yup, those stinky ass dermatologists and doctors. Who cares about these oils, anyway? Let's just go all out:

Well let's see, there are two options:

1.) Shower every day and maybe get a bit of dry skin
2.) Not shower every day and carry around a stench so foul you can see stink lines

I know which camp I fall into.

jamsy

2.) Not shower every day and carry around a stench so foul you can see stink lines

How fucking bad is your BO? I could probably not shower for 10 days and still not "carry around a stench."

Like, what is this idea of being smelly as fuck if you don't shower every single day? As long as you use deodorant, you don't reek if you haven't showered in the past 15 minutes.

PulseONE

I shower twice a day, but once a day is generally fine.

EDIT: Please note I live in a tropical country, so it's justified. I'm aware people in colder places do so far less because they don't sweat much

Minimum six times a week. Because we've all had a Saturday where it just doesn't get done. And if you don't leave the house, no shame in that. Seven is average.

Add one for each instance of physical activity that produces a lot of sweat, or just generally covers you in unpleasantness.

gaiages

Banned
I shower 6-7 times a week, in the mornings before work. I might skip a weekend day every once and a while (if I'm just staying in the house all day), but other than that I feel dirty. Also, when I work out I'll also take a second shower when I'm done, but it'll just be a quick rinse-off, without shampoo or soap or anything.

Oh, also I live in Florida, so it's humid and hot most of the year.

BamfMeat

I and most people I know shower once a day, usually in the morning.

If we're gross, we'll shower a second time that day.

If I personally never leave the house that day though, I'm in my 'jamas all day so I don't shower. Unless I change the cat litter. Then ew.

Husband showers every day, sometimes twice a day, even if we don't leave the house. This is also the man that wakes up and immediately puts his socks and shoes on and leaves them on all day (except to shower).

Nista

Some of you guys must be digging ditches in 100 degree weather all day to need that many showers. :)

Sadly I think the body care industry has been marketing to us for so many years we don't even question if we really need to be using this stuff day in and day out. It's similar in mindset to people who can't bear to leave the house without makeup on - all about imagined social pressure not health.

Jay Sosa

That depends on so many things, there is no "formula" or anything.

If I didn't do anything all day except sitting on my ass why in the world would I need to shower?

At least once a day, two if you work out/do a physical activity that makes you sweat.
People usually ignore their own scent, so they think they're ok.

They're not! You're not! Take a bath goddammit!

Ingeniero

Once a day except sundays if I don't go out
jBX8nGI.png

Jay Sosa

At least once a day, two if you work out/do a physical activity that makes you sweat.

Some of us just don't sweat as much. Obviously I shower after I went running or biking but if it's cold and I sit in an office all day there's no need for a shower.

Kenai

There's also the third option of not sweating profusely or being in the construction/animal mascot business I guess?

I mean, my skin/hair just don't work like that. I'm mixed so I can certainly see myself being in the minority here (no pun intended) but I need at least a day between showers unless I am sweating more than normal or my hair gets f'ed up. Skin turns super ashy too.

It is literally bad for my skin to do more and apparently dermatologists agree with me.

Nah, my family and friends are real quick to call out someone's stank and I've never been told I smell under normal circumstances.

Agremont

No. Imagine how many particles spray onto your body when taking a shit. Plus I NEVER feel clean when just wiping my ass as thoroughly as possible as compared to actually taking a shower. So, yes, I shower after every time I take a shit.

Do you have explosive diarrea regurlarly or something? I don't think you'll need to be worried about being sprayed with poo particles taking regular dumps.

Anyways this thread has taught me that hygiene is at least partly a psychological thing. For many at least.

M3d10n

I would love to see (from a safe distance) those "twice a week" people stick to their hygiene routine here in Brazil. At around 30 hours without a shower I can smell my own armpits. Shit's gross.

I would love to see (from a safe distance) those "twice a week" people stick to their hygiene routine here in Brazil. At around 30 hours without a shower I can smell my own armpits. Shit's gross.

That's the thing though, people are saying how often they shower and don't say where they live.
When I'm in Thailand i shower a minimum of 3 times a day. Usually more.
Here in Scotland? every other working day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom