• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Much Would You Pay for Morpheus?

Handy Fake

81032-nb-raceland-coilovers-nb-top-hats-low-mileage-sp_tree_fiddy-jpg

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
200 sounds about right at launch. Then 150ish during discount and sale time.

BadHand

Well if it's successful I'll pay up to $250.

But I'll need to wait a few months to see if it catches on. I got burnt on the move.

Ocaso

I'd buy at launch if $300 or less, assuming adequate software support. While $199 is a more reasonable price for mass adoption, hardware launches are about early adopters who will accept a premium price, so I don't think it's a realistic price point to expect.

Servbot24

Banned
I dunno. I feel like it would just be a novelty that I would use on a couple games and then put away. I don't think I'd be likely to buy it at any price.

JP

Not sure to be honest. I am interested in it but I need to be convinced by Sony that it's still going to be relevant five years down the line.

JordanN

Banned
You're emailing this thread to Kaz Hirai, right? ;)

How much I would pay, just make it like PS4. Stuff the most powerful parts in it while being the cheapest VR product on the market.

£250 so whatever that works out to in US funny money, once we take off our 20% VAT it would work out around $300.

I'd be happy with paying that for something new.

If it's good?

Up to £300.

Given that it's trying to run intensive VR programs on a far weaker machine than the expected platform for the Rift, though, I'm not optimistic.

150 quid sounds fair. £200 including the camera I guess.

Thankfully I already have a couple of move controllers too, which will be useful and save me a bit.

Already got Camera and Move, I'd buy day one for anything under 250.

But, I've got a horrible feeling it's going to launch at a prohibitively high price, especially for those needing the extra bits.

With PS4 I feel they provided a good level of technology at a price as fair as possible, so I have faith, but looking at prices of other add-ons gives cause for concern.

Not more than $100 probably. I'm basing this number off what I believe the final product will be, but I could be surprised and be willing to pay more.

It depends on how well supported it is. The Eye Camera, Move, and Wonderbook didn't have enough exclusives to win me over.

If it has enough interesting games then I'm willing to pay up to €300.

ironcreed

Banned
I need to try this VR tech before I would commit. And if I liked it? No more than $150. Even then that is a lot to ask for an add-on to the system that I already bought. Which is precisely why I don't think it will be successful unless they can make it even cheaper.

If they want it to sell then I think $199 would be the smart price point. If they do not care about sales at the offset I can see them selling it for $299 because there will be people who will buy it for that price even if it doesn't come out with a decent game.

Danlord

Realistically I would be fine with a £199.99 price point. £249 might be a bit much to stomach as the highest I'd , so if that was the price there has better be some killer apps to support it from the get go.
I know No Man's Sky will have it, and possibility of Driveclub also. Outlast 2 was confirmed in development so Morpheus support for that a good possibility and an amazing fit for VR. Silent Hills would push viability of that higher price point, Surgeon Simulator confirmed already.

I'd want something unexpected to shock and awe me. I've played and loved DK2 so I'm already in love and support of VR but I want that unexpected revelation for game or even non game to be announced

Also PlayStation Home 2.0. I want OASIS or something similar. Home was profitable, surely they'd continue on PS4 and VR is a perfect fit for it too.

Fbh

For VR headset I'm willing to pay around $300, depending on the quality.
But I have zero interest in morpheus.

I could se morpheus launching for $200 or $250, with a more expensive option that includies the move controlers

SeanTSC

It depends on how good it is. The higher the quality the more I'm willing to pay. And if it's not good enough then no price is low enough. Anywhere between $200-400 would be my price range probably, unless it was absolutely amazing. A sub $200 price would make me severely doubt the quality of it.

pr0cs

$250 if it had at least 2-3 titles worth owning.
If it's 250 plus I have to buy the camera and move controllers and the 2-3 titles I'll probably wait

MattyG

Banned
If it's actually supported in a lot of games? $150-200. I get the feeling it'll be closer to $250-300 though.

geordiemp

Biggest danger is they go cheap and its not good.

Then I will buy a gaming PC and a PC VR device. I want a good experience or nothing.

£200 to £250 and it will be preordered before trying it. Any more and it depends upon the content being appealing, the hardware of the device being good and that it appears to be well integrated within the Playstation ecosystem on release.

Socky

£250 so whatever that works out to in US funny money, once we take off our 20% VAT it would work out around $300.

I'd be happy with paying that for something new.

This seems most realistic to me, and is around what I would pay. Sorry to say I think those expecting ~$200 are dreaming, although I'd love to see it as the more adopters the better for tech like this. I don't see how we can expect parity with Oculus at $200 when Rift dev kits are $350. I expect Morpheus to be $299/£249 or thereabouts, with slightly poorer specs than Oculus.

Seanspeed

Banned
It really depends on the quality, the software lineup and whether it comes with the camera and Move controllers.

I'd like to think $199 is the sweet spot, but if Sony knocks it out of the park and includes all the necessary hardware, I wouldn't balk at paying $299-349.

Nzyme32

Considering it's limitations to Playstation only, I'd say maybe £150 tops. If it were more compatible and able to be used in different ecosystems and applications freely, I could go as far as doubling to £300 - but I would have to have confidence in the content and hardware - which I don't for any of the current HMDs and their ecosystems. They need to launch first for me to determine that

Top Bottom