• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How OCD are you with treating and cleaning your game collection, consoles, and accessories?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've seen gamers treat their game stuff anywhere on the scale from wearing white gloves to handle their games so they don't get skin oils or fingerprints on them and open any console or game(especially collector's editions) slowly and precisely. Then on the other side there are gamers eating chips or pizza while they game and handle their games, consoles, controllers and opening games and boxes just tearing them open without giving any fucks.

I'm pretty OCD about handling my games and cleanliness. I don't wear white gloves like a psycho, but I never eat anything while I'm gaming, I don't want nasty greasy residue all over my games and controllers and stuff. I dust my consoles every single day, if I'm handling any old school jewel cases, I don't touch the front and back with my fingers to smudge them up, I grip them by the top and bottom.

I know that I'm definitely not in the norm with how I treat my stuff, definitely on the OCD side, I don't think there's any right or wrong way to treat your game collection, whatever works for you. But I gotta admit, if I see Let's Plays or Twitch videos of people gaming and they reach their hands in bag of cheetos for a handful or something and then just grab their controller again with their cheese coated fingers I criiiiiinge :sick:

Where are you on this scale?

bronk

Banned
GDK7I12.jpg

I am SUPER anal about my gaming room. Wipe/dust my TV and monitor multiple times a week, vacuum multiple times a week, clean out PC tower once a week, wipe down PS4 Pro, spray and wipe controllers once a week, etc.

I am not a super clean person, in general, I look and dress like a bum, but my electronics are where I focus most of my "cleaning OCDness." I hate seeing dust in or around any of my gaming components

I have used white conrollers most of this gen and never had issues. Just wash my hands after eating and once a week will lightly spray each controller and wipe it clean of any accumulation on the triggers or whatever

giphy.gif

You're dead to me

Last edited:

Gravemind

I don't eat cheetos or greasy shit while playing games, so my controllers dont get disgusting, but I dont bring out the windex and clean my consoles either. Dont think I've ever "cleaned" any console or controller besides maybe wiping the dust off every so often.

As for game collections, I have all my old games stored in boxes and only buy digital copies as of now.

teezzy

Banned
Didnt we already have this thread today? Lol

I keep my shit on lock. Used to be a big collector, and much more anal about everything. Now I just wanna have fun. Still like everything to be CIB ultimately, but I'm not gonna stress too hard if it isn't.

I play mostly ps1/ps2 and xbox/360 anyhow.

Moogle11

Banned
I don't collect, so I only have consoles and games I'm actively playing. I rarely replay things so I sell games off after I beat (and buy a lot more digital these days) and sell consoles when I'm done with them (however long into the next gen when I've played all the games I care to on them).

For the current stuff, I don't baby them or obsess over them. But we keep a clean, tidy house so they get dusted regularly etc.

Tranquil

My controllers always look clean so I never clean them. My console I clean about once a year when I can start see dust build up on it. I'm right in the middle of being anal and not giving a fuck.

lock2k

Banned
I've seen gamers treat their game stuff anywhere on the scale from wearing white gloves to handle their games so they don't get skin oils or fingerprints on them and open any console or game(especially collector's editions) slowly and precisely. Then on the other side there are gamers eating chips or pizza while they game and handle their games, consoles, controllers and opening games and boxes just tearing them open without giving any fucks.

I'm pretty OCD about handling my games and cleanliness. I don't wear white gloves like a psycho, but I never eat anything while I'm gaming, I don't want nasty greasy residue all over my games and controllers and stuff. I dust my consoles every single day, if I'm handling any old school jewel cases, I don't touch the front and back with my fingers to smudge them up, I grip them by the top and bottom.

I know that I'm definitely not in the norm with how I treat my stuff, definitely on the OCD side, I don't think there's any right or wrong way to treat your game collection, whatever works for you. But I gotta admit, if I see Let's Plays or Twitch videos of people gaming and they reach their hands in bag of cheetos for a handful or something and then just grab their controller again with their cheese coated fingers I criiiiiinge :sick:

Where are you on this scale?

I like to keep things clean and eating while gaming is a no-no. If I need to eat I just stop and eat and then I get back.

My white controlers are all very much white because I'm always cleaning them. The consoles look new, etc, etc. No OCD but I like them clean. I can't stand having greasy controllers.

dolabla

I'm a gemaphobe and OCD so everything has to be spotless. I clean and dust once a week. I don't let anyone touch/use my controller :messenger_beaming:. They have to use the other controller.

Impotaku

tMPtvcx.jpg

I look after my stuff as best as i can i still have Japanese GBA & GC games that look pristine because i was always super careful when opening the boxes but thankfully all my old fragile nintendo media are all in protectors. I'm also careful of old disk media in general as a single slip can end up with a nasty scratch to the disk. Thank fuck for bluray technology i swear PS4 game disks are tough the amount of times i have gotten a PS4 game in the post and the disk has come loose and it's been rattling around giving me a heart attack only to open the case to find it was only pretending to be fucked up.

As for my consoles i tend to give them a good old dusting every week or so and get the vac on the vent holes to keep them dust free same with the disk slot as a lot of dust can sneak in.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I am very clean about it. Every two weeks I use the attachment with the brush on my vacuum cleaner and I vacuum all the vents on my electronics. I pay good money for that stuff so I take care of it.

Bakkus

Extremely rarely, and if it happens, it's never a 100% clean. Although I guess that's partly because it's much colder here than almost everywhere else in the western world, so things don't get very dusty.

Last edited:

njean777

I clean the consoles themselves usually once a month or so, but my desk/gaming area once a week. I also don't eat and game, I don't want any food on my controllers.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I dust off and clean the vents of my consoles occasionally. Rarely have needed to clean a controller as I don't eat anything that would get it nasty. As for my actual games/cases I store them all in storage containers and keep the actual discs in a sleeve binder. This helps with storage space and keeps the cases near mint in turn.

Top Bottom