• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the Trump Administration broke the State Department

Tovarisc

state_top_final.jpg

Morale has hit rock bottom at Foggy Bottom, as American foreign service officers languish and Rex Tillerson builds a mini-empire.

Employees at the State Department couldn’t help but notice the stacks of cubicles lined up in the corridor of the seventh floor.

For diplomats at the department, it was the latest sign of the “empire” being built by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s top aides. The cubicles are needed to accommodate dozens of outsiders being hired to work in a dramatically expanded front office that is supposed to advise Tillerson on policy.

Foreign service officers see this expansion as a “parallel department” that could effectively shut off the secretary and his advisors from the career employees in the rest of the building. The new hires, several State officials told Foreign Policy, will be working for the policy planning staff, a small office set up in 1947 to provide strategic advice to the secretary that typically has about 20-25 people on its payroll. One senior State Department official and one recently retired diplomat told FP that Tillerson has plans to double or perhaps triple its size, even as he proposes a sweeping reorganization and drastic cuts to the State Department workforce.

Veterans of the U.S. diplomatic corps say the expanding front office is part of an unprecedented assault on the State Department: A hostile White House is slashing its budget, the rank and file are cut off from a detached leader, and morale has plunged to historic lows. They say President Donald Trump and his administration dismiss, undermine, or don’t bother to understand the work they perform and that the legacy of decades of American diplomacy is at risk.
Current and former senior foreign service officers say the Trump administration is hollowing out and marginalizing the State Department, with a dismissive attitude to diplomacy and the civil servants who execute it. They say the diplomatic corps is facing an unprecedented crisis. When Tillerson has tried to defend his ailing department, he has gotten stonewalled and outmaneuvered by the White House.
“The policy planning staff has become the backroom staff for the secretary. This shuts out bureaus — it shuts out new and interesting ideas. It leaves no forward thinking or fresh ideas,” said Max Bergmann, who spent six years at the State Department, including time on the policy planning staff, before leaving in January at the end of the Barack Obama administration.

The plans to bolster the policy planning staff reflect Tillerson’s reliance on a close coterie of advisors, closing himself off from the rest of the department. Top among them are his enigmatic chief of staff, Margaret Peterlin, and his director of policy planning, Brian Hook, a mainstream Republican who worked in the State Department and the White House during the George W. Bush administration.

“The seventh floor has walled itself off with Brian Hook, Margaret Peterlin, and some others,” a senior foreign service officer told FP, speaking on condition of anonymity. “Some people get through the wall, but it’s few and far between.”
As the department builds word clouds and expands the policy planning staff, the Trump administration has shown little urgency in filling an array of senior State positions, including crucial ambassadorships in the Middle East and regional assistant secretaries who oversee Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. When Colin Powell served as secretary of state under President George W. Bush, he referred to his assistant secretaries as “battalion commanders.” But only one assistant secretary has been nominated so far, A. Wess Mitchell for European and Eurasian affairs.

He has yet to be confirmed and start the job.

Career officials are stretched thin covering the positions as acting assistant secretaries in the interim but confide to colleagues that they don’t have the clout of political appointees — from inside the department or outside of it. The lack of senior leaders has grinded the gears in decision-making and further damaged morale, career diplomats said.

One example officials pointed to was Tillerson’s front office sitting on memos that would unlock $79 million for the department’s Global Engagement Center to counter Islamic State messaging and narrative. Bureaucratic rules required that Tillerson simply write and sign two memos — one for $19 million from Congress and one for $60 million through the Defense Department — saying State needed the funds. But he hasn’t, leaving some career officials at a loss.
But other key decisions remain stalled. “Last I checked, there are over 150 action memos stuck in the secretary’s office,” a mid-level official told FP. Decisions that otherwise would take hours to process are “just languishing,” said the official.

“Because no one’s been empowered to make decisions, there’s no longer a back-and-forth exchange of information in a routine way,” another recently departed official said.
Yet foreign embassies have also taken notice of the leadership vacuum. More than a dozen foreign diplomats told FP that they often do not know whom they should speak to in the administration to convey messages from their governments.

Some ambassadors found their phone calls to Tillerson’s front office never returned, while diplomats have sought to bypass the tottering State Department, instead delivering messages to the White House or Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, or daughter Ivanka.

One European diplomat said his “embassy has had limited contacts with the [State Department] leadership in general since Trump took office, because Tillerson does not seem very involved and because we don't feel State is where policy is really decided.”
More than six months into the Trump presidency, career diplomats worry that the administration’s assault on the State Department will cause lasting damage to the workforce.

Tillerson’s controlling front office — and its focus on squeezing the budget — threatens to slow the hiring and assignment of new foreign service officers to positions around the world. All the while, numerous top career officials with decades of experience have quit, leaving a vacuum of talent and institutional knowledge in their wake.

While the State Department hemorrhages its own talent, it has also cut itself off from new talent by ending several distinguished fellowship programs to recruit top university graduates during its redesign.

The cumulative effect of a marginalized State Department, coupled with a freeze on hiring and budget pressures, could mean the next generation of diplomats will wither on the vine, current and former officials warn.
Tillerson himself appears to be exasperated by the job, caught between ideologues in the White House, competing congressional interests, and shell shock after jumping from the private sector, where he ran the U.S. oil giant ExxonMobil as a powerful executive in a highly centralized organization.

“He doesn’t have the same authority as a CEO,” one Trump insider told FP. “I know the White House isn’t happy with him and he isn’t liking the job.”
“I think he hates the job and won’t stay long,” the aide said.
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/07/31...paign=New Campaign&utm_term=*Situation Report

Christian

It's almost like all these business people with no governing experience aren't suited for these political positions! Why didn't anyone warn us about this before the election?!?!

theWB27

It's almost like all these business people with no governing experience aren't suited for these political positions! Why didn't anyone warn us about this before the election?!?!

This part is actually by design. Centralize power to Trump. Just luckily he's an idiot.

Wilsongt

If a Democrat ever wins the presidency again, it's going to take them almost an entire term or two just undo everything Trump and his band of idiots have damaged and destroyed.

RPGCrazied

If a Democrat ever wins the presidency again, it's going to take them almost an entire term or two just undo everything Trump and his band of idiots have damaged and destroyed.

Ever?

They always win at some point. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when.

Makonero

The problem is, how can you undo damage to diplomatic relationships? This is crucial work that is going to be destroyed utterly. The brain drain alone...

This is just an unmitigated disaster on every level.

bionic77

It makes sense.

Why have all of these diplomats and analysts helping to shape and determine American foreign policy when we can just ask Russia?

The Great Leader is going to give us perfect advise everytime and it is mostly free (just a few eastern European states and a weakened Europe).

Afrodium

Banned

Sounds like a waste of taxpayers dollars to me. Once a Democrat spends a term or two fixing things America will be hankering for a nice fiscal conservative again.

WedgeX

Banned

After this administration, how do any future administrations bring talented, civically-minded workers into public service? From FDR through Obama there was at least an idea that what government exists should do a good job regardless of political persuasion. I am not sure how that trust is rebuilt.

Exile20

Dems need house and Senate to undo a lot of what Trump has done. they need to go full fuck you to the Republicans also.

Anything less then Dems will need two presidents back to back.

digdug2k

The problem is, how can you undo damage to diplomatic relationships? This is crucial work that is going to be destroyed utterly. The brain drain alone...

This is just an unmitigated disaster on every level.
Heh. Even if you put good people in, any sane country would have to be pretty skeptical dealing with the US from now on. Like, when Obama was elected it felt like they all said "You learned a lesson! Great! We knew you weren't crazy".

Now I think you'd have to be more "Holy fuck you guys are scary. I have no trust that what you're today will have any resemblance to who you are tomorrow."

Heh. Even if you put good people in, any sane country would have to be pretty skeptical dealing with the US from now on. Like, when Obama was elected it felt like they all said "You learned a lesson! Great! We knew you weren't crazy".

Now I think you'd have to be more "Holy fuck you guys are scary. I have no trust that what you're today will have any resemblance to who you are tomorrow."

That's because the US is two different countries masquerading as one. I think a split is inevitable and I think it will be peaceful. The question is how long will it take before we get to that point?

no autocrat anywhere does until they decide that they do

At this point I think people would just accept it

People would moan but that's about it.

There's cynacism and then there's laughable edgyness. You guys are teetering on that line. Trump doesn't have the power and won't get such a power. Come on guys

That's because the US is two different countries masquerading as one. I think a split is inevitable and I think it will be peaceful. The question is how long will it take before we get to that point?

This can't be serious

Usually, it's the Republicans who create an economic disaster and Democrats that bail them out.

This time around, Trump is creating a systemic government disaster, while the economy is doing pretty well. Democrats usually win elections when the Republicans fuck up the economy.

We're in a stalemate right now.

Tovarisc

Usually, it's the Republicans who create an economic disaster and Democrats that bail them out.

This time around, Trump is creating a systemic government disaster, while the economy is doing pretty well. Democrats usually win elections when the Republicans fuck up the economy.

Will economy keep its momentum under government like this?

I doubt it will.

Ogodei

"Present at the Destruction" is the term that's already been used, parallel to Dean Acheson's (ridiculously self-aggrandizing, but well valued among US International Relations academia) autobiography "Present at the Creation."

Our military power will survive, and therefore that clout will remain, but our ability to control the flow of diplomacy in this country will be diminished and possibly never recover as many regional blocs begin to build up diplomatic clout on a regional and inter-regional basis (EU, GCC, African Union).

Raven117

Tillerson has repeatedly tried to get more appointments as I do believe he has every intention of trying to run the State Department, and I do think he is qualified to handle the job.

Trump refuses to let him run the Department as he sees fit, and I'm sure that is pissing Tillerson off as he ran effing Exxon (and did a good job doing it). Trump isn't the type of business man that would be a good fit for a government position. Tillerson is the type of business man that would be a good fit.

I don't know what the social politics of Tillerson are, but he does seem like a reasonable and level-headed dude that can handle the state department.

Tovarisc

Tillerson has repeatedly tried to get more appointments as I do believe he has every intention of trying to run the State Department, and I do think he is qualified to handle the job.

Trump refuses to let him run the Department as he sees fit, and I'm sure that is pissing Tillerson off as he ran effing Exxon (and did a good job doing it). Trump isn't the type of business man that would be a good fit for a government position. Tillerson is the type of business man that would be a good fit.

I don't know what the social politics of Tillerson are, but he does seem like a reasonable and level-headed dude that can handle the state department.

Read whole story, it gives quite dual image about Tillerson.

At one hand he is genuinely trying and wants get shit done, but is fucked by White House.

On another hand he has very little interest in doing day-to-day stuff and is walling out a lot career officials and veterans of State Department while only listening to his chosen inner circle.

The economy is not doing well. Companies in energy and oil/gas are seeing downturns similar to 2007-2009. There's an anxiety about the economy I haven't seen since the last recession. Larger companies that smaller companies rely on for sales are not buying. There is a sense of unease about Trump, nobody knows what's going to happen.

Raven117

Read whole story, it gives quite dual image about Tillerson.

At one hand he is genuinely trying and wants get shit done, but is fucked by White House.

On another hand he has very little interest in doing day-to-day stuff and is walling out a lot career officials and veterans of State Department while only listening to his chosen inner circle.

I did read the entire article. Without the full authority of the White House behind Tillerson (which he doesn't have), I don't think its really possible to judge the rest of the decisions as that makes things weird. I dunno, hard to know really.

And of course, when mid terms roll around and the Dems haven't completely dug us out of this massive hole, petulant voters hand power back to Republicans. Hopefully this time is different, but I'm not exactly trusting of the voting public these days.

Top Bottom