• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to brick an Xbone in six easy steps.

timlot

Banned
What scares me is that there is a small piece of me who wants to try this, knowing full well what it will do.

I alway treat stuff like this like a google chrome warning and go back fast as I can.
GoogleChromeMalwareWarning.png

Diablos

So, this image has been doing the rounds:

Spoiler alert: it won't enable backwards compatibility, instead it'll brick your console (specifically, by making it reboot endlessly). It's absolutely marvellous that Microsoft left such a feature in and not included a failsafe such as an automatic boot to safe mode option.
lmao

Time for a new update, MS!

elhav

First in line at the buffet?! Lucky!
lol I don't have an Xbone, and I wouldn't have tried it anyway because it's obvious trolling. But I pity all the poor folks who think they'll be getting 360 support. You have to be one big asshole to do this.

iammeiam

MS left in a process that users can enable to reboot the system endlessly?, I know a user has to do this themselves by access the dev mode etc - but that a pretty dam stupid thing to leave in.

This seems to be a side effect of the 'every console can be a devkit!' thing. Somebody realized MS warning that it could brick your console meant a really easy way to trick people into bricking.

I wonder if MS could work around this if they made the sandboxID valid?

This is going to be a bad weekend to be a retailer with a demo station.

(Apparently if you have a PC and the actual dev software it's possible to fix, but if you're a Gamestop manager that isn't going to be the case. I imagine Microsoft will be shipping a recovery USB to replicate that process next week to retail partners. Because there'll be hell to pay if there isn't.)
i don't think GameStop got real demo systems. Just tvs with a fake mini Xbox One running trailers.

LOL!!!! Le master troll

And for all those people who're complaining. People are stupid. Let them deal with thier own stupidity.

What scares me is that there is a small piece of me who wants to try this, knowing full well what it will do.
Man, me too. I find it fascinating (I feel the same way about your username).

Maybe seeing someone do this on YouTube will let me satisfy my curiosity vicariously.

Top Bottom