• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to de-gloss an Onyx DS?

Ryun1

Truelize said:
If you are going to do this you should be using wet-sandpaper. The same stuff that is used to sand plexiglass and such. It is super fine and wouldn't leave those tiny surface scratches. I know that looks alright, but I'm sure wet-sandpaper (I'm pretty sure that is what it's called) would have worked better. After the wet-sandpaper you use a buffing machine to really smooth out the surface.

And really starting with anything harsher than 320 is a bad idea.
Absolutely. Sorry I didn't give you more instrucitons, but I didn't figure you'd go to it with such alacrity. I thought I'd be able to get back to you today. Glad you're happy with it, though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Wow. Anal-retentive OCD nutbars have scored a great victory today. Sometimes NeoGAF is a fascinating experiment in mental illness. At least it looks pretty good in the end.

Isn't a matte-black DS Lite actually on the way, or did I imagine that?

rod

Banned
no words can describe this thread. wow. sticky this shit plz till we see pics of the final product. i was dead set this was a joke thread.

adg1034

MattKeil said:
Wow. Anal-retentive OCD nutbars have scored a great victory today. Sometimes NeoGAF is a fascinating experiment in mental illness. At least it looks pretty good in the end.

Isn't a matte-black DS Lite actually on the way, or did I imagine that?

I'm pretty sure you imagined it. Amazing job, Dice, by the way. Cojones. True cojones.

EDIT: Also, member.

<--------

:D

jko

you know i totally agree with thread starter, only thing keeping me from getting a black DS.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Dice said:
DS12.JPG
Thanks for the registration code!

Dice is now in the nightmares of every nintard, he's the monster who scratches your DS at night! :lol

ENTER SANDMAN

Shut it down lil'GAFer
Dont forget, gamer
To plug in the charger

Check the screens, wipe it clean
Give it a bright sheen
Till the sandman enters

Sleep with one eye open
Gripping your pillow tight

DS Lite
Looks like shite
Give to Dice
'Gonna make it rough and nice

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Link said:
Thanks for the registration code!
If you're srcastic: Thanks for pointing it out
If you did: @_@ <--- Rage

I'm still sorting out some issues with Nintendo's stupid website to get it entered in.

HokieJoe

E-Nature said:
Enjoy this for your viewing pleasure!
uglyds.jpg

:lol :lol

my god, somehow I have the same thoughts about the final result of that black DSL......

Good night, it looks as if it's made of Play-Doh.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that didn't turn out so badly -- i cringed when i saw the first pictures. i sanded the paint off the bezel of my old titanium powerbook when it started to flake, and yeah, it looks like hell while you're doing it, but with a little care you can get it clean.

HokieJoe

drohne said:
that didn't turn out so badly -- i cringed when i saw the first pictures. i sanded the paint off the bezel of my old titanium powerbook when it started to flake, and yeah, it looks like hell while you're doing it, but with a little care you can get it clean.

Actually no, DICE's sand-job didn't turn out so bad at all. I would recommend a finer grit sand paper (1200 to 1500 grit) and a proper sanding block (rubber) though. Either of those can be found at any automotive paint supply store I would think. 3M is the best I've used.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Can we get pictures of it with proper lighting? The over exposed pictures are hiding some of the damage i think.

Alts

Wow. It looks pretty good. I'm really really impressed, and bummed out we don't have a Sloth-like monstrosity to laugh at.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It actually turned out really nice looking. I'm impressed too. You need to somehow get that area within the DS logo, though.

I wonder when he'll realize that I actually did use that registration code.

omg...i just dont understand..this is painful

and also...maybe its this perfectionist thing..but..itd be more bothersome to me to have random spots of gloss....

so..thats x2 the pain

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
sp0rsk said:
Can we get pictures of it with proper lighting? The over exposed pictures are hiding some of the damage i think.

No, I think this pic:
DS12.JPG

captures the damage nicely. That is just painful to look at!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
you seriously need to use a higher grit sandpaper bro, and when your done use some rubbing compound (just dont get that shit inside your DS). i actually give you props on your 'mod' (matte black looks pretty good on electronics if done right, anybody with a black lian-li case can probably agree) but it seems you're really going about it the wrong way. not to mention that if your going to do a mod like this, go all the way, dont do some spots here and another spot there.

that said, gloss black looks spiffy as hell too (psp owners can probably agree with that). its all personal taste.

SumGamer

The end result look pretty good. I think it needs powder coating to make it look like a carbon fibre then it'd be damn cool, right now its at pretty cool.

SumGamer said:
The end result look pretty good. I think it needs powder coating to make it look like a carbon fibre then it'd be damn cool, right now its at pretty cool.

Uhh fake carbon fibre is terrible, like those logitech G7 mice D:

Nice matt job on the DS lite dice, first thoughts were sand blasting for me and masking out all the areas that you didn't want de-glossed, but looks like you put in the hard yards manually.
WEll since you've done the whole surfaces, you may as well do the rest since that info isn't too important if you have the manual, and your warranty is pretty much gone so may as well keep consistancy

segasonic

that looks absolutely disgusting, I can't believe some of you guys say it looks nice

I have nothing against a matt-finished look, but that sandpapered DS is just awful to look at

If anyone else wants to do this, use a sandblaster for ****s sake:

art-supply-82685391.jpg

Banned
HOLY

SHIIIIIT!!!!

Man, you did that with a skank ass nail file??? You're either retarded, crazy or a genius. Seemed to work out well, but man.... You should have gotten some good, fine wet & dry.

Bit of advice, NEVER listen to forum guys when asking for backup of a crazy idea.

LOST IN BLUE 4EVA!

Ryun1

Truelize said:
It all started with this comment.

:lol

Look what you've done now. :D

Things I could have told him:

* "Lick it"
* "Drive over it with your car"
* "Cover it with peanut butter"
* "Put it in a jar of kimchi and bury it in your backyard for 6 weeks"

All in all, I'm glad I said "sandpaper."