• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to do Cable Management |OT| Unravel the Possibilities

Here's a request for some cable management. I just purchased a condo and the only realistic place to put a TV is above a fireplace. I know you're not supposed to hang a TV at a higher level than your eyes when seated, so I picked up one of these things from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IITPJT6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And here's a reference of the space I have to work with:

I would like to be able to hang it above the fireplace without the cables being shown. In the two bottom cabinets there are power outlets (and the right one has Ethernet) so that is where I will be keeping my PC, and running cords to consoles out on some the shelves (unless I decide to keep them also in the cabinet. How would some of y'all accomplish this?

You neee to run wires up through the ceiling and back down behind the TV. Or you rip off drywall and and drill holes in the studs to get the wires back there. It's not easy either way!

KrSifRQ.jpg
I like this.

How did I miss this thread initially?! About a month and a half ago I redid my cable management. I'll have to take pics. It's mostly done, but still a work-in-progress.

Armaly

Oh man, i'm using command hook Christmas light clips to hold my cables in place. I think it's time for an upgrade. Subscribed.

Leatherface

Cable management is great to a point (those wire bundle sleeves take it too far) until you need to move a piece of equipment somewhere else or replace a cable, then a 5 minute task turns into an hour project. Help me find a middle ground GAF!

Cable management is great to a point (those wire bundle sleeves take it too far) until you need to move a piece of equipment somewhere else or replace a cable, then a 5 minute task turns into an hour project. Help me find a middle ground GAF!

Why do you think the wire bundle sleeves take it too far?

Also, I did point out that good cable management is fragile since any change isn't easy. However, I find that to be worth it since the setup changes infrequently and once you run HDMI and Ethernet to each position in your setup, you can swap out devices much more easily without having to rerun wires. I'd say skip the middle ground and go all the way. Doing the middle ground leads to failure. I tried the middle ground and that mess in my OP is what happened to me before by going that route. I think you either need to do it right or it will become a mess again over time.

Grudy

I took a half hour to prewire stuff for next week. I should be all set. One week to go!

Heh it looks like a sad puppy waiting for its master to come back :(

I suppose the Switch will only have another power cable for the dock or is there another one for the controllers? I haven't followed its news much.

Heh it looks like a sad puppy waiting for its master to come back :(

I suppose the Switch will only have another power cable for the dock or is there another one for the controllers? I haven't followed its news much.

Heh yep, it does look like it's just waiting there for someone to come back. What might not be so obvious is this shelf is off to the side and not in my main setup, so I had to run an HDMI cable to it and up behind.

Ya, the Switch will have it's own power cable which obviously I don't have yet, but have set up where it should run along and plug in. To charge the controller, there will be a USB-A to USB-C cable that comes with the controller that I can plug into the dock. I'll take another pic once I have the dock all properly hooked up.

ElyrionX

The biggest problem with current cable management solutions is that they are a huge pain the ass to dismantle. If you have complex electronic setups and something breaks and you have no idea what broke (which device or even which cable), troubleshooting will be extremely vexing and time consuming.

My biggest thing is all the cables coming from one device going in different directions. It almost takes bespoke system designing to overcome it.

Which is why for my next entertainment center I'm going to do just that. Maybe design in some raceways for power and video to run, if possible. I haven't put a ton of thought into it, but I have a couple of ideas. Under my desk is a different story, wires going in every direction and a minimal slab of a desk doesn't provide much help.

Top Bottom