• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How was the reaction to the Prime 1 reveal?

Teknoman

The first reveal was actually third person and everyone hated it.

Retro was totally unproven at the time, and many felt they should have been allowed to create their own original ip (Ravenblade) and leave Metroid to the Japanese.

Is there early prime footage anywhere?

From what I remember some of the negativity stemmed from the fact that Nintendo had shown a teaser trailer the year before that presented the game as a 3D adventure game. People were overwhelmingly positive about the teaser but later the first person reveal and (at the time) unproven studio made people feel like they got baited and switched.

Toxi

Banned
Miyamoto jumped the shark well before Sticker Star.
Miyamoto has lots of weird creative ideas: The whole idea of changing visors in Metroid Prime came from him suggesting that Samus should be able to change heads and get a bug head.

72527.jpg

You really trying to defend this?

this shit post actually rustles my jimmies a little bit

JCX

The response I remember was overwhelmingly negative. Same with Wind Waker.

Yeah Sunshine, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, and even to some extent, Double Dash, all had skepticism due to deviations from their series' norms. Gamecube era was a weird time for Nintendo's major franchises.

Grief.exe

Miyamoto has lots of weird creative ideas: The whole idea of changing visors in Metroid Prime came from him suggesting that Samus should be able to change heads and get a bug head.

To be honest, that's a good skill for creative to have. Just bounce crazy ideas around, then have a logical design team to bring the best ideas in line with the game.

Maggots

Banned
Now If i remember correctly people were pissed and highly skeptical at the direction they were taking the franchise. largely forgiven and forgotten though given that prime was quite possibly the best game ever made.

But... people were pissed anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I remember reading a lot of Nintendo fans wondering why it wasn't going to have Halo style multiplayer and that that was a huge mistake. This was back on the old IGN boards though.

The Lamp

There was a lot of skepticism, but people were open to trying it.

That said, if you're making this thread because of the MP:FF reaction, they are in no way comparable.

Yes they are. People are complaining that MP:FF is not the Metroid game they wanted, that even if it was a good game, it doesnt belong in the Metroid family, etc etc, the same reactions people had to a next-gen Metroid game being a FPS on the Gamecube. Nintendo asked their fans to trust them.

Robotguy

To be honest, that's a good skill for creative to have. Just bounce crazy ideas around, then have a logical design team to bring the best ideas in line with the game.
Yeah, this is something I often try to encourage people I work with to do more. Even if your crazy ass idea doesn't make any sense it can sometimes inspire people to think of something useful.

Forkball

It was more shock and disbelief than anything else. Super Metroid was beloved, yet the franchise had skipped a generation. More people were introduced to the series from Samus being in Smash, and the next Metroid game is... a first person shooter developed by an unknown American studio. What do you even say to that? People were extremely excited for it though as more information and gameplay was shown. Isn't the first MP the best selling Metroid game? The anger quickly dissipated.

I think Freedom Force should be interesting, but I can certainly understand why people are disappointed. When I first saw the footage, I thought, "An online co-op shooter... this could be really interesting." Then I realized it was a Metroid game and people were about to go nuts. Metroid Blast Ball had me laughing though.

Probably the biggest kneejerk reaction is the first video of cel shaded Link (the precursor to Wind Waker). I still remember watching this video in disbelief.

Square2015

We were so excited. We were getting two Metroids, this made up for the long hiatus since SM.

Fusion was originally called Metroid IV, so we saw Prime as a prequel or first to the series and Fusion, a sequel to Super Metroid, or the last/latest entry.

Ppl didn't complain about it being FPS because of metroidvania Fusion releasing on the same day. Prime was seen as the proper evolution of the series TWO generations later (64-bit era skipped).

Koozek

The recent E3 2015 backlash has been giving some strong GC era WW vibes. However it also got me thinking about the Prime 1 reveal. The WW backlash is well documented and there are plenty of sources that have archived the general reaction. However Metroid is oddly absent from similar discussions.

I might be wrong but I can't help but feel that the overall reaction to having an unknown studio take a side scrolling platformer First Person would have been negative. Even today I see a few people who seem to be upset that Metroid went first person.

I've tried poking around the Gaming Age forum archives and using the wayback machine but I can't find anything specific. Were any of you around here back then who could comment on the general reaction?
That WW thread is gold, thanks!

Lol, flashback to E3 '14:
Date Posted: Aug 23, 2001 #17

Why does Link look like a girl?

daTRUballin

I'm pretty sure you can find threads from back then where people reacted to it on Usenet. I remember reading old Usenet threads some time ago and I remember people were reacting pretty negatively. Mostly because it was first person and it was made by an American developer.

I remember this one specific thread where the title was something like, "Americans are ruining Metroid!". It's pretty funny. :p

Toxi

Banned
Isn't the first MP the best selling Metroid game? The anger quickly dissipated.
A lot of anger was in reaction to the first gameplay trailer. The extensive gameplay coverage in the months leading up to release helped people have faith in the game. Reading the customer reviews written right at release, you wouldn't expect the game had such a critical reception when it was first shown.

Add a GameCube bundle, a serious advertising push with a live-action commercial, and universal critical praise, and you have Prime up there with the original Metroid as the most successful game in the franchise.

If Nintendo can reverse the public opinion of Federation Force before release as much as it did for Prime, I'll be impressed.

Crayon

Iirc, they don't show prime before they mentioned it was in first person and developed in the states. Everyone was very skeptical.

I think I was in wtf mode for a day or two but I came around quickly and I had a whisper that it would be amazing and I didn't want to miss it. If any of you think I'm not enthusiastic enough about games today, I ll have you know that I stole a gamecube to play prime on day one when I was in college. From a major retailer. Not from a dorm or something.

Garlador

My remembrance was there was a lot of skepticism, with some willing to give it a shot, and a lot of hostile negativity.

I vividly remember reading posts that were declaring the series was dead the moment they turned it into "a generic FPS by a bunch of unknown Texans".

The skepticism didn't die down until people played it and the reviews poured in calling it a masterpiece.

Both it and the Wind Waker reveal was a very magical time, for me as well. I won't lie; I was a skeptic. I was very pleased to be proven wrong.

I don't know about the initial reveal, but by May 2002 and E3, people were blown away. It was the talk about the show, it was all over the game sites, it was everywhere. I wasn't on GAF at the time, but the kids over on the IGN GameCube forum had already declared it to be Nintendo's Halo killer.

Like I said, I wasn't around here, and I don't recall the very first reveal, but the E3 2002 reveal was very enthusiastically received.

Prime was also clearly at least making an attempt at being a true Metroid game, if in a form that nobody thought would work until they played it themselves. The new one isn't even fucking trying to be one, from what we can see.

bomblord1

Banned
I don't know about the initial reveal, but by May 2002 and E3, people were blown away. It was the talk about the show, it was all over the game sites, it was everywhere. I wasn't on GAF at the time, but the kids over on the IGN GameCube forum had already declared it to be Nintendo's Halo killer.

Like I said, I wasn't around here, and I don't recall the very first reveal, but the E3 2002 reveal was very enthusiastically received.

Seems to be at odds with the rest of the nets reaction.

jett

D-Member
The demo at E3 2002 it received critical acclaim from pretty much everyone. Before that it was a mixed bag at best.

Two Words

Metroid Prime 1 was new, but in a scary way. It was venturing Metroid into an unknown terrain. Federation Force is not nearly as much as an unknown quantity and it is already clear that it cannot have the same scope and scale of a true Metroid game. The fact that it is a coop game completely destroys it from being a true Metroid game.

bomblord1

Banned
Metroid Prime 1 was new, but in a scary way. It was venturing Metroid into an unknown terrain. Federation Force is not nearly as much as an unknown quantity and it is already clear that it cannot have the same scope and scale of a true Metroid game. The fact that it is a coop game completely destroys it from being a true Metroid game.

If you replaced Co-op with First Person it would appear you have the same argument they did back then.

Jessmo111

Banned
Again did people forget Retro Studios itself got retooled purely because some key members on the Prime game weren't up to snuff for Nintendo? Hell they were also working on Raven Blade which got shit canned because it was a fucking mess.

Prime 1 is an astonishing achievement because the game literally came together in the last 9 months due to a massive developer crunch at which during that time Nintendo purchased Retro stock from Spangenberg to make it a 1st party studio.

Not to.go OT, but Nintendo must have seen something special here. Why not give the game to another studio if they where working like garbage?
I remember all the talk back then of Miyamoto turning over Tea tables.

danwu

Banned
IGN made a pretty big deal but I never got board with the Metroid Prime hype train even though I had front row seats to the show !
IGN GameCube couldn't fully express what a game it was, even though they were really excited for the game, you just had to play it to really experience the game.

daTRUballin

Not to.go OT, but Nintendo must have seen something special here. Why not give the game to another studio if they where working like garbage?
I remember all the talk back then of Miyamoto turning over Tea tables.

Did this actually happen? Or is it just a myth? I can't believe Miyamoto would do something like that inside Retro's headquarters. They must have REALLY pissed him off in order for him to do something like that.

Or is it just a metaphor? :p

Again did people forget Retro Studios itself got retooled purely because some key members on the Prime game weren't up to snuff for Nintendo? Hell they were also working on Raven Blade which got shit canned because it was a fucking mess.

Prime 1 is an astonishing achievement because the game literally came together in the last 9 months due to a massive developer crunch at which during that time Nintendo purchased Retro stock from Spangenberg to make it a 1st party studio.

Not entirely correct... The last 9 months were the crunch time with Retro employees were doing 80 to 100 hour work weeks. Work actually began in 2000 and they were working solely on it after the last of their other projects got cancelled halfway through 2001. I believe people were getting laid off through most of it's development too. The Retro employee whose been dropping by GAF occasionally said Echoes was made by about 40 people, so I'm guessing about the same was what remained of the original Prime team, down from over 200 originally.

Retro are crazy though haha. I remember hearing that at E3 2004, six months before it's release, Echoes was said to be only 20% done or something like that. And then in the Iwata Asks for DKCR, they said the vast majority of the ideas for the game came after E3 2010, five months before release.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
People were dubious until E32002. That was such a great E3, Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker and Prime all at one show. We might just get that again next year...

Two Words

If you replaced Co-op with First Person it would appear you have the same argument they did back then.
I didn't mind that Metroid was first person. I'd say being isolated in an alien world is far more integral to the Metroid experience than the perspective of combat.

I can only speak for myself, but I recall playing a demo of it in a box store like Best Buy or so and was completely blown away. I saw an article on it in a magazine and didn't get the concept really and just thought it was a weird idea. If they had these demo stations spread around, I'm sure that helped. It was the initial 'tutorial' area.

Ridley327

Did this actually happen? Or is it just a myth? I can't believe Miyamoto would do something like that inside Retro's headquarters. They must have REALLY pissed him off in order for him to do something like that.

Or is it just a metaphor? :p

It's a metaphor, but given what we know what Retro was like before Nintendo kicked all the shit to the curb, I don't think it's all that implausible.

I had Fusion to look forward to so it didn't bother me in the slightest, though I won't say I wasn't wary of it being something new

Phediuk

I recall some skepticism around the first-person stuff and the fact that an American studio was making it, but every hands-on preview was very positive.

Glowsquid

The Unreal "joke" especially sticks out as they're presumably trying to refer to the tournament games, yet the original Unreal has quite a bit in common with Prime in terms of uncovering an alien world, and probably was a source of inspiration for Prime (to it's benefit).

I like to think Metroid Prime owes as much to the first two Turoks as it does to 2D Metroid

Metroid?

FPS?

In the age of Halo?

Oh nintendo fans were just thrilled and waited patiently for details.

It's not so long ago that old forum posts + newsgroup posts couldnt be found, to see just how well it was handled

Toxi

Banned
Metroid?

FPS?

In the age of Halo?

Oh nintendo fans were just thrilled and waited patiently for details.

It's not so long ago that old forum posts + newsgroup posts couldnt be found, to see just how well it was handled
Oh they can still be found.
Though again, a lot of people need to remember that the perception of Metroid Prime changed a lot as the game got more coverage. By the time the game released, the previous worries were mostly gone.

jholmes

There are three main reactions to this that I remember, most of which are only obliquely referenced here.

I think most of you are misremembering the backlash the Prime reveal received at the time. They took Metroid and turned it into an FPS developed by a bunch of Americans. In TEXAS.

This is true but it misses the biggest issue: it was made by a bunch of people formerly employed making games for Acclaim. Not just American developers, but guys associated with Acclaim. Huge difference here.

We were so excited. We were getting two Metroids, this made up for the long hiatus since SM.

This is also true. There was trepidation but at the time there was no reason to believe there would ever be another Metroid game.

The other major point: People were worried about taking a game based largely around jumping being turned into a FPS, and rightfully so. Go back and play a Turok game -- made by some of the same guys! -- and you'll understand. Of course the game nailed the jumping, almost miraculously, and it's a classic.

Top Bottom