• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you feel if Smash for Switch only got minimal contents, like Mario Kart 8 D

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I wouldn't care in the least. These titles are for people who didn't own a Wii U. The Switch will get its own Smash and MK

I doubt we will get new Smash/MK games anytime soon - Nintendo seems to be more interested in working on new IPs. And i dont really see how Switch versions could improve much more on what already is out there with Smash and MK - content and featurewise.

Dont expect new titles in those series in the next years.

Neoxon

Just to go off-topic, but what if the new Smash Bros. for Switch uses the same assets as Smash Wii U for the characters with slight graphical upgrades to speed up the development process? I believe Smash Wii U has perfected the looks and animations of just about every character in the game, and I don't see any more reasons to build the characters from ground up. More time will be spent on balancing the game, new characters and stages, as well as conceptualization of new game modes.

That way, the dedicated Smash for Switch will have less lead times, less work for Sakurai and easier turnover from production to retail.
In that case, they'd might as well not bother with the Smash 4 port at all. Either that or just constantly update said Smash 4 port. Many would see it as too similar to Smash 4, especially in light of the port. That plus a number of the Smash characters will likely undergo changes between Smash 4 & the next game (Ex: Mario could get a new Side B using his sentient hat from Super Mario Odyssey).

I doubt we will get new Smash/MK games anytime soon - Nintendo seems to be more interested in working on new IPs. And i dont really see how Switch versions could improve much more on what already is out there with Smash and MK - content and featurewise.

Dont expect new titles in those series in the next years.

I don't expect or need them anytime soon, because I still have the Wii U versions and I'm not trading the system in (and online for it is free ;_;)

Balb

I'd be fine with just a definitive version with all of the DLC and stages. It'd be really nice to have Snake too though.

Alienous

I'm thinking this port might be called Super Smash Brothers. Deluxe

Sounds better then Switch at least

But that makes it sound like a 'Deluxe' edition of the N64 game.

Whereas Super Smash Bros. for Switch would follow the naming scheme of the 3DS and Wii U versions, and make sense for an enhanced port. Then if the Switch were to get a true Smash Bros. sequel it would have to use a subtitle.

HotHamBoy

I would have to imagine Smash for Switch will include everything the Wii U and 3DS versions did, plus all the DLC.

What they add on top? Who knows. But since a lot of people only owned one version or the other, consolidating all the modes and stages would be pretty great.

I expect some technical improvements, too. Like pokeball pokemon and trophies running at 60fps. We'll see.

As for new characters, I could definitely see the Inkling getting in.

khaaan

I think that would be fine. There was content in the 3DS that was not available on the Wii U version and vice versa. Combining the two and adding all the DLC (or at least the character DLC) would be an okay package to me. Including new stages, characters and modes would be a huge plus and make it much more appealing.

It's my presumption that it won't, that's what usually happens with ports. It's a major negative for me towards the Switch that so much of its content is reused and makes the system feel more like a Wii U Pro than a brand new console.
Didn't Sakurai's team disband after the Bayonetta direct anyway?

Neoxon

I would have to imagine Smash for Switch will include everything the Wii U and 3DS versions did, plus all the DLC.

What they add on top? Who knows. But since a lot of people only owned one version or the other, consolidating all the modes and stages would be pretty great.

I expect some technical improvements, too. Like pokeball pokemon and trophies running at 60fps. We'll see.

As for new characters, I could definitely see the Inkling getting in.
Pokéball Pokémon & Assist Trophies all ran at 60fps on the Wii U version.

brad-t

Read the OP please. It's more for people who already owned Wii U, and one of those (or both_ games.

I read the OP, so this thread is for only for those people, not mostly for them as your OP states. I think it's weird to limit the discussion to just that but whatever.

HotHamBoy

It's my presumption that it won't, that's what usually happens with ports. Didn't Sakurai's team disband after the Bayonetta direct anyway?

There was a balance patch.

I expect consolidation of the Wii U and 3DS versions and all the DLC. That is all that I expect. And i may still be disappointed.

BUT. The fact that it may not come til late in the year, or next year, does make you wonder how much effort is involved. MK 8 has some new stuff and it drops in April.
Pokéball Pokémon & Assist Trophies all ran at 60fps on the Wii U version.

I was thinking of the 3DS version.

Neoxon

It's my presumption that it won't, that's what usually happens with ports. It's a major negative for me towards the Switch that so much of its content is reused and makes the system feel more like a Wii U Pro than a brand new console.
Didn't Sakurai's team disband after the Bayonetta direct anyway?
The team stuck around for the Bayonetta nerfs, & there was a job listing for "Smash 6".

There was a balance patch.

I expect consolidation of the Wii U and 3DS versions and all the DLC. That is all that I expect. And i may still be disappointed.

BUT. The fact that it may not come til late in the year, or next year, does make you wonder how much effort is involved. MK 8 has some new stuff and it drops in April.
I feel like Smash 4 Switch supposedly coming out later is more of Nintendo wanting to space things out to prevent droughts more than anything else.

Smasher89

had alot of salt about patches and direction in general deleted that to comment the more recent comment instead.

Alot of animations looks good, but there are probably alot of exceptions, where you have a nice looking animation, it's still not certain it overlaps with the hitboxes,

Rosalinas downsmash is a example, that you often can get the "galaxystars" seen, but the move gets beaten by another one that is faster even though it looks like it hits (most likely due to the dsmash nerf in 1.01 3ds).

Oh, and im not trippledipping, already got a japanese 3ds to get ahead of the competition, which the balance patches ruined for me, wont make the same mistake again.

HotHamBoy

The team stuck around for the Bayonetta nerfs, & there was a job listing for "Smash 6".

I feel like Smash 4 Switch supposedly coming out later is more of Nintendo wanting to space things out to prevent droughts more than anything else.

They already have a big ass drought right away.

Nintendo needs to offer more choices right away and not expect everyone to be content with only one or two banner games each quarter.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What? Is this true? That is absurd.

Apparently, yes. They basically confirmed it on one of those Nintendo stream.

In that case, they'd might as well not bother with the Smash 4 port at all. Either that or just constantly update said Smash 4 port. Many would see it as too similar to Smash 4, especially in light of the port. That plus a number of the Smash characters will likely undergo changes between Smash 4 & the next game (Ex: Mario could get a new Side B using his sentient hat from Super Mario Odyssey).

Brawl is based on a port of Melee, and Smash 4 is based a port of Brawl.

I read the OP, so this thread is for only for those people, not mostly for them as your OP states. I think it's weird to limit the discussion to just that but whatever.

I don't really meant to limit the discussion. It's more of obvious statement that people would pick up Super Smash Bros for Switch if they didn't have either one from previous hardwares.

I meant if people don't have 3DS and Wii U copies, then they are more likely to pick up Switch copies, if you get what I meant .

I haven't bought all the DLC for the 3ds or Wii U versions so I might be okay with this. MK8 is a different story since I already have the map packs and free online in the Wii U version.

Thoraxes

As long as that content is releasing the final amiibos, i'm more than happy.

If they add more characters, they need to have the amiibo shit down pat. I want to finish the collection and end my suffering.

VDenter

Banned
I know this wont happen but i really hope they just focus on Smash 5 instead. Something tells me if Nintendo releases Smash Wii U deluxe we might not even get Smash 5 on Switch or for a very long time. Considering how long these games take to develop.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If they add all the 3DS content and new single player/co-op challenges and quests on top of the some new characters and stages, sure.

Maybe that's asking too much, but I don't really need them to redesign every character in the game on a new engine again. I just want new stuff on top of it.

Neoxon

If they add all the 3DS content and new single player/co-op challenges and quests on top of the some new characters and stages, sure.

Maybe that's asking too much, but I don't really need them to redesign every character in the game on a new engine again. I just want new stuff on top of it.
They wouldn't really need to redesign the veterans for an enhanced port of Smash 4.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Read the OP please. It's more for people who already owned Wii U, and one of those (or both_ games.

and that's exactly me.
so I repeat my statement: I would be happy. The less time/resources spent on ports, the better.
both games (also MK8, with the new battle mode) already woud have tons of contents anyway, so if I'd douple dip or not wouldnt for new contents (that would anyway be less than in a new game)
So I'm happy they, for example, are adding some but not too much contents to MK8, so they had time to work on ARMS

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
They wouldn't really need to redesign the veterans for an enhanced port of Smash 4.

Sorry, I mean I'd be just as happy with a smash 4 deluxe as I would be with smash 5, assuming they put a lot of stuff into it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Thats very few people. These releases aren't for them.

Super Smash Bros for 3DS sold like 8.35M, and Super Smash Bros for Wii U sold like 4.9M so I don't really see how few people they were.

I already acknowledged that the releases are for buyers who haven't picked up 3DS and Wii U. But my point still stands with people who haven't purchased Smash Bros for either, are more likely to pick up Switch version.

As long as that content is releasing the final amiibos, i'm more than happy.

If they add more characters, they need to have the amiibo shit down pat. I want to finish the collection and end my suffering.

Same here. I'm still waiting for those three Amiibo.

if they add all of the DLC plus some new additions (a couple characters + stages) then sure, why not

just don't make almost every online mode timed

robotrock

Banned
Absolutely fine. If they pack in all the DLC, it's still a better value proposition than to buy a cheap Wii U copy then buy all the DLC

SoulUnison

Banned
I miss you, Snake.

Also, I'm not interested in playing them, really, but they should throw the Ice Climbers back in.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really don't care if they just port over Wii U games and don't add much, but they need to be priced accordingly.

Full priced? Not a chance I'm touching any of it. Especially with paid online later.

AniHawk

if the switch version has all the 3ds and wii u stuff, plus the dlc, that's enough for me to get it again. the 3ds was my most played version anyway at around 60 hours.

18-Volt

I'd buy even with zero new characters. All I want is new custom Joy-cons specifically built for Smash and some costumes.

But the way things are going, I'm pretty sure we'll see at least 2 characters and one of them will be Bomberman.

Neoxon

Squid Girl and Spring Boy and I'll bite.
That would depend on if the guys at Bandai Namco was aware of Arms at the time of Smash 4 Switch's development. For reference, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe only uses the Splatoon 1 designs for the Inklings rather than throwing in some Splatoon 2 looks (Ex: different hair styles).

Fine with me, as long as the Gamecube USB controller adapter is supported. Combining the 3DS content with the Wii U + DLC content would be nice, as is additional characters and stages not found in either game.

Smash 4 is the reason I’m keeping my Wii U for the time being, until it comes out on the Switch. Anything Smash, I’m in day 1.

random25

Since online will now be a paid service, I hope that Smash 4 port also gets more online mode improvements. The 1v1 For Glory mode has been pretty good for the most part. But there should be some revamps to other modes as well.

Neoxon

Since online will now be a paid service, I hope that Smash 4 port also gets more online mode improvements. The 1v1 For Glory mode has been pretty good for the most part. But there should be some revamps to other modes as well.
The in-game online offerings would be on Bandai Namco to upgrade. The paid service would mainly help with the quality of the netcode via their servers.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Also they really need to allow me to partner up with online friend to play against two random players for 2 vs. 2 (For Fun or Serious). I found it odd that I couldn't because I only have two options which is partnering with local buddy or deal with random player.

LaNaranja

Consolidate the content from both versions, allow the Mii's to be playable online, and allow Smash Run to be played online and that would be more than enough for me.

Neoxon

Consolidate the content from both versions, allow the Mii's to be playable online, and allow Smash Run to be played online and that would be more than enough for me.
This, please. If disrespectful Miis are an issue, just have the other person see the 3 default Smash Mii designs (hell, make it an option that you can toggle).

I wouldn't be as annoyed since all the Smash DLC combined was a lot more expensive than that of Mario Kart 8. I don't have it all either, so that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom