• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you react to a Metroid reboot w/ a black Samus

The very group you're referring to are people who would shit on Metroid for being PC SJW bullshit because it had a black protagonist, Samus or not.

So since they'll be angry either way, why not just make it Samus?

No...I was referring to hypothetical fans who were outraged that they weren't playing as Samus is Federation Force and would, in this hypothetical, be outraged that a character they like is changed.

Likewise, from my perspective it's always more likely that hesitation to changes like this is met by false accusations of sexism or racism before anything of the sort happens, and when you're called sexist or racist just because you don't want something you liked changed, you're not gonna self-reflect, you're just gonna get even more mad. Heck, it happens enough and I could easily see some associating anything that's deemed "PC" or "progressive" as being the pushed for by the same type of people that insulted them.

IrishNinja

i'd celebrate it, as well as the fact that the franchise proper wasn't dead

The very group you're referring to are people who would shit on Metroid for being PC SJW bullshit because it had a black protagonist, Samus or not.

those people are trash tho

Likewise, from my perspective it's always more likely that hesitation to changes like this is met by false accusations of sexism or racism before anything of the sort happens, and when you're called sexist or racist just because you don't want something you liked changed, you're not gonna self-reflect, you're just gonna get even more mad. Heck, it happens enough and I could easily see some associating anything that's deemed "PC" or "progressive" as being the pushed for by the same type of people that insulted them.

you know what's far more likely? actual sexism & racism in much of the cesspool that is the gaming community

Alexlf

If it's handled like Iron Man then sure, sounds good. That wouldn't preclude more games from the point of view of Samus anyways. If they just arbitrarily retcon it and decide that's all we get going forward then I start complaining endlessly about continuity and artistic vision and brand power and blah blah blah.

Stevey

I mean, I have no problem with characters being whatever colour.
But how can she just change colour? How would they explain it?
Wouldn't make sense at all.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The character of Samus is basically stoic bad ass woman bounty hunter. There is nothing else to her except some baby drama in Super Metroid and the stuff that was added in Zero Mission that a lot of people seem to dislike because it gave the games more character. Making her black would not effect anything at all for a character who we barely ever actually see outside of her armor. As I said before, she could be purple and it would have no real effect on the game, the character, the universe or anything else because as a character she's a little deeper a puddle than Gordon Freeman or the Doom Guy.

People who don't want a black Samus just don't want a black character. They don't need to explain it because it needs no explanation for such a vague character whose race is of little to no importance, hell even her looks could totally change and it wouldn't matter nor would it need some "in universe" justification because really, it doesn't fucking matter for this game series.

KingV

I guess I wouldn't mind if it was a complete reboot. I would rather see a black Link or a new character introduced though, since Samus is already an established character, and there is an implication that we are playing as the same character in each game.

Link can be more easily sold as a different race, sex, whatever since it's not always clear whether this is a different Link than in the last Zelda game.

you know what's far more likely? actual sexism & racism in much of the cesspool that is the gaming community

Considering I had someone in this very thread not only assume my race and try to insult me in regards to my race, I concur. However, I never said or tried to make the claim that actual racism doesn't exist in the gaming community, just that changes like this do nothing but fuel racial tension and controversy within said community.

EDIT: granted, I used the words "Brownie points" referring to that actual food and they said "whitey points" so I feel like that might been a misunderstanding on my part for poor word choice considering the subject matter. lol I got to admit though that it was pretty clever word play on their part.
...People who don't want a black Samus just don't want a black character...

Case in point

A.J.

Banned
My opinion is that they should just make a new black bounty hunter in the Metroid universe. I think Samus out of her suit has a fairly iconic look at this point with her appearance in two smash games.

But I think Nintendo would just make a new game for the character instead of making it Metroid.

Phu

Banned
My opinion is that they should just make a new black bounty hunter in the Metroid universe. I think Samus out of her suit has a fairly iconic look at this point with her appearance in two smash games.

imo, that's a cooler and more bold decision.

HStallion

She is a hot blonde woman in a skin tight suit. It's not like it's that distinct or original design.

BajiBoxer

Banned

atr0cious

The fact that people hated the idea from the get go clearly shows that a lot of people didn't want it in the first place.
You keep trying to gloss over the targeting by men's rights activists. Trying to wave a way the hate movement that went after that movie is doing your argument a disservice. Not to mention the movie scored average on rotten tomatoes, unless you're one of those who thinks the reviewers were pressured into good reviews, even though said good reviews would only garner attacks by those same people. The status quo would rather let something fail than allow change that doesn't pander to their interests. It's why folks can't even let people call inklings black, without getting all concerned about other ethnic groups being left out, all in an attempt to pit us against our own.

How about a skin tone slider instead? That way your character that spends 99% of her time in a suit can be whatever color you want. Or even better...
Make her a black man

She is a hot blonde woman in a skin tight suit. It's not like it's that distinct or original design.

Then why not make an entirely new lead character and give her an entirely new backstory? If you're going to change a lot about the character, why name her Samus at all?

HStallion

Then why not make an entirely new lead character and give her an entirely new backstory? If you're going to change a lot about the character, why name her Samus at all?

Because she is barely a character outside of her iconic armor. A black Samus changes nothing but the skin color as there is little there to actually change.

Phu

Banned

Yeah. If, apparently, her visual design is not remarkable and her story is largely inconsequential, then why cling to the name? How about a new character with a cool design and a cool story [and unique personality]?

Honestly don't care as long as a new game is being made. Why make Samus black though? What would that do? Nintendo rarely dives deep into her backstory so I don't know what that would add if that's the question. If it's just a matter of changing her for the sake of it then that's fine with me too. I'm just genuinely curious about where the idea came from.

I am on board with a new Zelda starring a female Link just for the hell of it so I can get on board with black Samus. Why not. Gaming as a whole would be interesting if developers started doing that with their characters. The internet reaction would be equally hilarious

I just love how he places the definition of black on there as if we were all stupid. Also, to the question at hand, I think it would be weird changing her because of continuity. If it were a reboot, it will work though.

I just want a new Metroid game. But it would make more sense for a new bounty hunter character you can play as be a black woman instead of changing Samus' skin color.

HStallion

Then why keep the name?

Why not? There is nothing that is affected by changing her skin color as there is not much of a character there to begin with. The things that gave Metroid it's flavor and character are the weapons, the world's,the enemies, the suit. Not the ethnicity of Samus.

selo

Dark Samus?

Meh, doesn't make sense. If its a new character that takes the role of a bounty hunter, sure, but not Samus.

Phu

Banned
Why not? There is nothing that is affected by changing her skin color as there is not much of a character there to begin with. The things that gave Metroid it's flavor and character are the weapons, the world's,the enemies, the suit. Not the ethnicity of Samus.
And not her name, don't forget that one.

Kneefoil

I'd probably be a bit upset, but I wouldn't be outraged, like I'm sure a bunch of fans would be. Big changes in already established characters, even if it's just the appearance, always rubs me the wrong way. I'd much rather they just made an entirely different character with a different name and backstory instead of trying to replace something that people have come to love.

Maybe I should clarify that when I say "big changes", I don't mean anything like what happened to Bayonetta between Bayo 1 and 2, because I can still believe those to be the same character. I'm talking more about something like Dante's overhaul in DmC:DMC, or some of the characters in Pokémon remakes.

Arkeband

Banned

Her ethnicity, or basic character design, has been set in stone since the very first game and has only become more widely marketed due to Smash. You're being a little flippant here.

The IP is basically dead anyway, I'd let them change her gender to male and call him Linkle if it meant they'd make an actually decent Metroid game.

Dekutulla

If it was a direct sequel I think it'd be pretty dumb. If it was a reboot, I'd kinda wonder why, but I wouldn't really care.

Clearly we need a spinoff starring Angseth tho

Whether her design is particularly exciting to begin with or not is irrelevant I think. Her design has been a varia(get it?)tion of the same look for 30 years, what would be the point of suddenly changing it? I firmly believe die-hard fans would be far more pissed off at that general idea than being rabid racists who just can't look at a black face for the combined 15 seconds she tends to be on screen.

As far as I'm concerned, Samus could be an 8' tall hoola-hooping pile of dog shit inside that suit for all I care, I just want a new Metroid game that doesn't involve some awful spin-off gimmicks. And for god's sake, don't let the idiots who did Other M ever touch this series again.

Then what should be keeping them from making a new character to be the lead? If the character is so inconsequential, why keep the name? What do you think sounds better creatively, "a black woman is the lead in a new Metroid game" or "Samus is now black"?

If it was Samus: Outraged. Samus is an established character.

If it was a new character: simultaneously interested since it's someone new and pissed off because, god damn, it's been too long. Give Samus a good game already.

If it was a new character in the next game after Samus has already made a glorious, triumphant return: interested. The Metroid universe could use more characters, especially since that means more Smash reps. And there's also the possibility that it could lead to co-op modes starring both heroines. Good stuff all around.

Basically, the skin color by itself doesn't mean much to me.

HStallion

And not her name, don't forget that one.

I didn't. I'm still waiting to hear how changing the skin tone of a character that is in her armor 95% of the time, has a vague backstory and barely ever speaks will affect anything of importance for a Metroid title. They could change Samus' name to Sarah and keep her white and nothing of matter would be changed.

Phu

Banned
I didn't. I'm still waiting to hear how changing the skin tone of a character that is in her armor 95% of the time, has a vague backstory and barely ever speaks will affect anything of importance for a Metroid title. They could change Samus' name to Sarah and keep her white and nothing of matter would be changed.

So why are you cool with changing each individual part of Samus' character but not all at the same time? At that point you just have a new character. And if you have a new character you might as well do something new and unique.

mindatlarge

I don't really have much attachment to characters in games. If a team decides to go a different direction with a character's cosmetics, it doesn't matter to me. If the game is good, I'm happy.

It doesn't matter, but it's a half measure. An entirely new character would be cooler.

Why are you waiting aka why does someone owe you an explanation? What you're saying isn't irrefutable fact, you simply seem to come from the stance that her character's design should be completely irrelevant to long time fans of the series. This is not how fandom works and you know that, you post on NeoGAF for crying out loud.

There are 30 years worth of magazine articles, instruction manuals, in-game cutscenes, figurines, cameos and who knows what other media out there establishing her as looking like she does, I don't know why you think that's irrelevant to long time fans of a series, whether it'd be Metroid or anything else. Fans don't like change in ANY fashion, it's as simple as that.

A.J.

Banned

It's distinct enough for me. Besides a new character could also offer possible alterations to the gameplay because they could have a unique suit or fighting style. And we could possible get a new character in Smash from Metroid from this instead of just Samus and Samus outside her suit.

Top Bottom