• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
On the flip side, the overall design and control sensibilities of these early forays into VR may feel overly archaic in the future, in the same way that it's really difficult to go back to Atari 2600 games, or 3D platformers pre-Mario 64.

Email the SuperHot devs and they'll give you a free Steam key.
(Also, because SuperHot is DRM Free, if you copy the Oculus Runtime and ReVive DLL's into the executable folder and uninstall Oculus Home, the game will still work. But now that there's a native Steam version, this is basically a moot point)

As far as other Oculus games: Robo Recall is fantastic. Note that instead of the standard ReVive, you'll want to use a mod called RoboRevive that adds native OpenVR support into the game, resulting in better performance.

I also recommend The Climb. Oh, and if you haven't already, download the Free Oculus Story Studio stuff—Henry, Lost, and Dear Angelica—and the little Oculus Touch demo "First Contact".
Thanks! Will see how far I get!

Durante

Heh, just got the 300 B+ ratings achievement for Airtone and realized that between Airtone, Audioshield, and Thumper, I've got 80 hours dumped into rhythm/music games in VR. That's easily more hours in that genre than I've put in across all other platforms combined regardless of generation. It's interesting how VR essentially transformed the genre for me. I mean, I liked it in traditional gaming, but it rarely would hold my interest for long. Yet in VR it's something I find myself gravitating back to constantly.
I'm having a really hard time in Airtone getting beyond the A and B ranking level in most songs on medium. Never mind hard. I'm still flabbergasted that one of the complaints I read about the game is that it's apparently too easy. What?

TricksterVR is not ready for primetime yet. Somehow I am missing all first shots with the bow, not sure if its me or the game? Also the scaling seems way off - orcs are tiny and some geometry seems way too big.
Strange, I thought the bow felt great (like The Lab basically, which is the gold standard). As in, when I first picked up the bow I aimed at a target ~10m away and hit it with my first shot.
Might be a setup difference?

Anyway, I've played it for ~70 minutes with a friend, and the weapons/interactions were actually pretty good. I also like the tradeoffs you have later on between equipment, and the synergy of some stuff in coop (e.g. healing pots work for all players).

The one thing that I feel is missing is some reward structure or interesting stuff happening for exploring beyond the main quest in each level.

derFeef

I have not played it for that long as I really did not feel it sadly. The bow is actually great to load and aim, but something was off with the targeting for sure. My gold standard bow currently is the The Last Hope one - you have to put in some work but it feels great imo.

I searched for a coop session but there was no one there, I bet it's a bit more fun in multi - it feels really shallow otherwise - again - so far.

jwc13ac

Really itching for a single player VR shooter, which serious sam is the one to get? somehow I've never played any entry yet!

Also, anyone feel free to add me, I have like NO steam friends: Jwc13ac

Durante

I have not played it for that long as I really did not feel it sadly. The bow is actually great to load and aim, but something was off with the targeting for sure. My gold standard bow currently is the The Last Hope one - you have to put in some work but it feels great imo.

I searched for a coop session but there was no one there, I bet it's a bit more fun in multi - it feels really shallow otherwise - again - so far.
Yeah, I agree with it being shallow at this point -- that's what I meant about the reward structure / exploration.

I was just surprised that you disliked the bow, since I felt like the weapon handling is one of the more solid aspects of the game in its current state. (Also the networking seems surprisingly good)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Really itching for a single player VR shooter, which serious sam is the one to get? somehow I've never played any entry yet!

Also, anyone feel free to add me, I have like NO steam friends: Jwc13ac

Only played Serious Sam 2 VR and its really great, but there are some room action segments thats not optimized for VR. I spend an overall 23.8 hours in this game

Game is hard though so i played in easy

Alright boys, need help for the Steam sale tomorrow. Please let me know what I'm missing that I should not be missing pls. ty

5ECNBeV.png

Alright boys, need help for the Steam sale tomorrow. Please let me know what I'm missing that I should not be missing pls. ty

5ECNBeV.png

Stuff that I've got I notice you're missing:
I Expect You to Die
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
Sairento
Soundboxing
Eleven Table Tennis
Chair in a Room

Stuff that I don't really play but people fucking LOVE when they come over to check out VR:
Fruit Ninja
Richie's Plank Experience
Zombie Training Simulator

Zalusithix

I'm having a really hard time in Airtone getting beyond the A and B ranking level in most songs on medium. Never mind hard. I'm still flabbergasted that one of the complaints I read about the game is that it's apparently too easy. What?

I think most of the people that claimed it was easy meant that it was easy to simply clear a song (B rank), and were hardcore fans of the genre where at least some of their skillset from other games crosses over. Looking at the achievements, virtually nobody finds it easy to clear the hard versions with a full combo or perfect. Heck, less than 1% have even cleared all of them with a B.

At this point the lowest grades I have in medium are a couple As. Everything else is S/SS/SSS. No perfects yet there. I'm not really focused on getting any one song down at this point though. Instead of playing one song over and over, I just move on after each song and work my way through the majority of the songs in a given session. This way I'm focusing more on my general reading of the track and on the fly reactions rather than pure memorization of the patterns. Less frustration on being one note short of a full combo or something too lol. Generally speaking, every day I've improved and my scores have increased. I figure I'll keep this up for awhile and then seriously tackle Hard. I want to feel like I'm actually playing Hard, and not flailing around in desperation to keep up.

That said, after this much playtime on the game, I'm rather looking forward to DLC. 25 songs is a good start, but it's going to need a lot more than that if they hope people will ever reach the achievements like a million points.

derFeef

If you like to shoot zambies.
Arizona Sunshine - quality game all around and good post support so far.
Brookhaven - gets scary and has good mechanics, no more support I fear though.
HordeZ - I treat it like House of the Dead basically but it's not as polished as the other two. Good mode variety.

I Expect You to Die
Sairento
Soundboxing
Eleven Table Tennis
Chair in a Room
Fruit Ninja
Serious Sam
Arizona Sunshine

Will be keeping an eye out for deals on these. Thanks, all.

derFeef

My wishlist is also growing with every new post in here, haha.
I am not expecting good VR game sale prices tho, they are never that great.

Durante

My wishlist is also growing with every new post in here, haha.
I am not expecting good VR game sale prices tho, they are never that great.
I think part of that is just that they haven't been out for a long time yet, and the other part is that financially the point of deep discounts is to make money on large numbers, which is hard to do on <1 million potential buyers.

That said, I expect good discounts on things that will see a sequel soon, like The Gallery Episode 1 (which is well worth playing, but not really worth its full price).

derFeef

I think part of that is just that they haven't been out for a long time yet, and the other part is that financially the point of deep discounts is to make money on large numbers, which is hard to do on <1 million potential buyers.

That said, I expect good discounts on things that will see a sequel soon, like The Gallery Episode 1 (which is well worth playing, but not really worth its full price).

Yeah that's very reasonable.

5ECNBeV.png

What I was very happy with:

Conductor
Vertigo (have yet to finish this one, might get to it tomorrow, it's great)
Racket NX
Dead Secret
Titans of Space 2
Discovering Space 2
A Chair in a Room: Greenwater
Climbey
Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shooting Gallery
Hot Dog Horseshoes and Handgrenades (less of a game, more of a shooting range sim with a few minigames, worth it for the simaspect tho)
Eleven Table Tennis
Soundboxing (Rivals Audioshield and surpasses it in the pure rythmgame focused segment)

Narcosis was quita alright too, but it's a sitting down 360 controllerbased game so not really what I'd like to see more of in VR but it has a great representation of the deep sea with huge crabs and squids.

There's lot's more I'm forgetting at the moment.

(Check out Soundstage if you have any interest in making musik electronically, Kings Spray Graffity ann Vive Spray could also be interesting if you like creating pictures in VR, these games could be more polished and offer more options but it's quite unique doing these things in VR anyway and maybe worth your money)

I Expect You to Die
Sairento
Soundboxing
Eleven Table Tennis
Chair in a Room
Fruit Ninja
Serious Sam
Arizona Sunshine
Climbey
Pavlov
Conductor
Vertigo
Racket NX
Dead Secret
Titans of Space 2
Ghost Town Mine Ride
Discovering Space 2

Very good.

Yeah, I think I saw you in that Reddit thread lol. I get where that guy was coming from, but I'm surprised he didn't realize he was not the norm.

I Expect You to Die
Sairento
Soundboxing
Eleven Table Tennis
Chair in a Room
Fruit Ninja
Serious Sam
Arizona Sunshine
Climbey
Pavlov
Conductor
Vertigo
Racket NX
Dead Secret
Titans of Space 2
Ghost Town Mine Ride
Discovering Space 2

Very good.

Cosmic Trip
Blasters of the Universe
Airtone (if you're in to rhythm games)

After re-playing the PSVR Playroom Robots Rescue I decided to go through all the seated VR games that I've bought but haven't tried yet and already found 2 really fun games.

Combat Core

rZi1Pwb.gif

From the steam description - "Combat Core is a 3D arena fighting game sporting a colorful mix of modern aesthetics and futuristic cyberpunk"

It's basically a Power Stone style game (not exactly the same but it's the closest way to describe it) that works on both flat displays and in VR and the VR mode feels like you're playing with action figures that are fighting right in front of you. The scale is actually a bit larger than I would expect especially compared to the next game I talk about.

Smashing The Battle VR

6fjfGEe.gif

From the steam description - "Evade the attacks and grind to unlock and upgrade different skills! Consume your SP and activate your skills! Dodge attacks, smash the enemies and collect numerous cubes that drop from crates to gain more SP!"

This game feels like a really grindy hack and slash in the best way possible. You move through levels smashing up robots and unlocking stuff like a typical game in this genre but the sense of scale and VR implementation in general works really well. The scale in this game is much smaller than Combat Core so the main character and enemies are all really small almost miniature sized making it feel like you're playing with a live diorama which is awesome.

I'm gonna record some footage of both of these games later on since the Gifs I posted are from the flat version of each game and really aren't indicative of how cool these games play out in VR.

Update on the TPCast:

• Finalizing with FCC now. On track to hit US in Q3 2017.
  • Standard battery will be the XL 5 hour one.
  • They consider the US release version 1.2 due to improvements made on the Chinese release version.
  • Supports 2k resolution @ 90hz. Currently working on new hardware that would support 3k & 4k HMDs.

Alexlf

Update on the TPCast:

• They consider the US release version 1.2 due to improvements made on the Chinese release version.
  • Supports 2k resolution @ 90hz. Currently working on new hardware that would support 3k & 4k HMDs.

Awesome, finally! Has there been a teardown of the technology yet?

cakefoo

Update on the TPCast:

The 5h battery is nice, but unless I missed it, the Vive mic feed still isn't supported. That's a major downside.

Zalusithix

The mic at least can be sidestepped with a Bluetooth lapel mic or some such. The lack of the front facing camera on the other hand is something that can't exactly be fixed. It's a pity that there wasn't fullscreen compositing of the camera baked into the headset itself. That way at least the basic camera implementation would have been independent of the host computer. I mean, you won't need it to keep track of the cable or anything anymore, but it's still a shame to lose the functionality.

jwc13ac

So bought Serious Sam: second encounter!

Not to just keep updating thread with game impressions, but man is this good! Such a cool vibe, love the music and the old school feel. Why isn't this the new Duke Nukem?

Big question for this thread is the movement options. They give a LOT of options, and Im curious to what people like. It's got tap to teleport, point to teleport, and other things I don't know what they mean.

Good news, locomotion doesn't make me sick at all! First game I've used with it. I've been using that. It's a little hard with the trackpad but I like it! Is this the most efficient way to move?

I can't help but this this would be easier with an analog stick, but I can adjust.

Seeing how they made this for VR really gives me hope other FPS will end up like this.

Durante

So bought Serious Sam: second encounter!

Not to just keep updating thread with game impressions, but man is this good! Such a cool vibe, love the music and the old school feel. Why isn't this the new Duke Nukem?

Big question for this thread is the movement options. They give a LOT of options, and Im curious to what people like. It's got tap to teleport, point to teleport, and other things I don't know what they mean.
I use both tap to directional teleport (for strafing) and point to teleport (for general movement since you can cover much larger distances more quickly).

I have directional teleport set to controller-relative and 0 delay on the teleports. I've also disabled artificial rotation completely since it just annoys me.

Scapegoat

Any other notable async local (one PC) coop games in addition to Keep Talking and Diner Duo?

The Panoptic demo is incredible... PC player controls a bot moving up through an underground structure toward's a MacGuffin, VR player is a large and intimidating god like robot with a face laser...

Has strong elements of The Ship or Spy Party if you ever played them.

Edit: Doh! I now see you mention coop specifically.

I wonder if TPCast will work through a wall. Currently running super long cables around from my office to living room. Would love to be able to just keep the vive hub in the office and the HMD with TPCast in the living room.

Zalusithix

Valve posted documentation on their new knuckle controllers. They seem awesome. Tracking fingers is amazing.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=943406651
Valve said:
You or your company will receive the Knuckles Dev Kit directly from Valve.
Gives me hope that the controllers will be manufactured by Valve and sold separately for all headsets to use optionally. Ideally this year if they're sending out demos to external devs already.

Any other notable async local (one PC) coop games in addition to Keep Talking and Diner Duo?

I'm not sure whether you'd call it async given you're controlling the same things on the PC, but IronWolf VR recently added local coop. It looks rather bare bones right now interface wise, but it's interesting seeing it implemented at all given the game wasn't designed around the concept.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
To Durante's point here or in the other thread, Valve already having a sophisticated robot controller-building factory seems like them building these themselves is a no-brainer, wouldn't it? They have two years of practice at this point, and since it looks like some of the Knuckles controller is using parts of the Steam Controller...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
These controllers look amazing but I didn't know capacitive sensors could detect full on analogue movement without being touched. I know they can sense a finger a few mm above the surface and stuff. But I saw this gif on Reddit if a hand being partially closed in game it just seems crazy to me. I really want to try it myself, but I guess I'm slightly skeptical how analogue it actually is.

derFeef

Has anyone put time into Obduction since they added VR+Tracked controller support? It's $20 on sale so I think I'll take the plunge. I've been wanting to play a modern adventure game in VR.

I tried it when they added support but the VR controls were not super polished. Sadly I don't know if they improved it yet.

edit: not a lot of VR games on good sale as expected. oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom