• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Gorn's pretty fun. I noticed it was up there in the player numbers. The control scheme's not the best for crossing long distances, but it works well for the combat.

It's pretty much the Die By The Sword VR I was hoping for - they're just missing the fantasy setting.

atpbx

Decided to jump in with the steam summer sale pack where you get bridge commander, a £50 steam store card and and £50 off the Vive itself.

Got no room to us it mind, but so what?

MaDKaT

How do they work?

The original controls for Superhot? Instead of trigger to grab and trackpad click to release the original Vive controls used the grip buttons on the sides of the wands for both grab and release. To use the original setup, you just open up the game properties in steam > Beta tab > set Original-vive-control-scheme. I did the first full segment with the 'New' controls and it never felt right, prompting me to find out if it was possible to change them. After switching to the old layout, the game became far more enjoyable and is easily one of my favorites now.

derFeef

The original controls for Superhot? Instead of trigger to grab and trackpad click to release the original Vive controls used the grip buttons on the sides of the wands for both grab and release. To use the original setup, you just open up the game properties in steam > Beta tab > set Original-vive-control-scheme. I did the first full segment with the 'New' controls and it never felt right, prompting me to find out if it was possible to change them. After switching to the old layout, the game became far more enjoyable and is easily one of my favorites now.

Yeah not too fond of the control scheme but the grip buttons are probably the worst for me in terms of ergonomics, I never manage to click them without having to rearrange my hand or fingers every time.

MaDKaT

Yeah not too fond of the control scheme but the grip buttons are probably the worst for me in terms of ergonomics, I never manage to click them without having to rearrange my hand or fingers every time.

That is no good. The controls can really make or break a game imo. For me the button just happens to sit perfectly under the tips of my middle and index finger. Really turned the game around for me.

Just finished Superhot which was very enjoyable once I started using the original controls via the new beta. How is Robo Recall via revive?

Fantastic, but use the RoboRevive mod instead of normal revive for better performance (it's a mod that basically implements steamvr natively).

Local electronics store had two deluxe audiostrap boxes laying around so I bought one, at home I checked if it was the old or the new foam... was the old so I had to wash the foam and remove the residue, was actually really easy and quick to do, still weird that this happened with such an expensive product.

I have yet to try how it feels during use on the HMD, will try that later tonight.

MaDKaT

Local electronics store had two deluxe audiostrap boxes laying around so I bought one, at home I checked if it was the old or the new foam... was the old so I had to wash the foam and remove the residue, was actually really easy and quick to do, still weird that this happened with such an expensive product.

I have yet to try how it feels during use on the HMD, will try that later tonight.

I lucked out with mine. Turns out it had the 'new' foam even though I ordered it around launch. The Vive really should have launched with the DAS. For me it is night and day over the original strap and a far more elegant solution to my welders headgear mod.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Glad I apparently have good "VR legs" or I would have been falling over in Sairento. They weren't kidding about the advanced movement.

I lucked out with mine. Turns out it had the 'new' foam even though I ordered it around launch. The Vive really should have launched with the DAS. For me it is night and day over the original strap and a far more elegant solution to my welders headgear mod.

Yup, it's made the difference for me to get up and play the more active games. Didn't realize how much that face pressure with the original strap was inhibiting things.

derFeef

Guys you really want me to order the audio strap...
Also I started playing without glasses (shortsighted). It's a little bit more blurry but it's not the end of the world - as everything is blurry to begin with :p

Also I started playing without glasses (shortsighted). It's a little bit more blurry but it's not the end of the world - as everything is blurry to begin with :p

Surprised at how few people seem to be doing this. With current quality screens, you can have pretty crappy vision and not miss out on anything.

I also started playing without glasses while I was waiting for my inserts to arrive, and I have a particularly strong prescription. The inserts are better, but the difference isn't massive.

Actually, last week I forgot to put the inserts in, and didn't notice until a couple hours later. When I did notice, it wasn't because the picture looked blurry, it was because I saw them lying in the drawer.

My DAS should be showing up today and i have off the next 5 work days. Maybe I'll be able to find some time to use it and all the vr games I bought during the summer sale. Of course I'll have to fit it in around FFXII, Horizon and Nier Automata. This... this is a great problem to have!

also my steamID is: blackMamba1187 if anyone is looking to play stuff with a random person.

Ha, i'm the opposite. I'm short-sighted also but i find if i wear my thin framed glasses when using VR then i can go for much longer sessions without eyestrain headaches especially with text. The DAS helps a ton too as i find it more secure and comfortable than the old strap.

I bought some thin cloth inserts to go between my face and the foam to help with sweat absorbtion and i have a couple of super-thin polyester head tube/scarf things to keep my hair out of the way without boiling my head under the headset!

Now i need to expand my vive space a little so i can play SuperHot & Sairento properly.

Zalusithix

Ah that's a pity. Guess I will have to factor that in when I decide to get the DAS. I always found the older cable very unwieldy...
Honestly, you might not find the new cable any better; it isn't regarded as universally better. It's within 6 grams of the old cable, and plenty of people actually prefer the twisting properties of the old one. I was originally interested in the new cable, but having read a number of impressions from people that have had both, I've concluded it's not worth worrying about. Especially with wireless being available in the not too distant future.

Meanwhile the vast majority of people prefer the DAS to the original strap regardless of cable style. It'd be silly to pass it up solely because it doesn't come with the new style 3 in 1. IMO you primarily buy the DAS for the comfort and the more secure fit. The integrated audio is a secondary benefit. Cable management comes dead last in priorities for that purchase.

Surprised at how few people seem to be doing this. With current quality screens, you can have pretty crappy vision and not miss out on anything.
Either your definition of "pretty crappy vision" is not all that bad, or you're fine with losing lots of detail. =P

Edit:
Sairento's latest update adds a legendary armor relic that emulates Superhot:
(Headgear) Synaptic Overload : You are always Accelerated. Time moves when you move. Your maximum life is reduced.
Was still waiting on the previous explosive arrow and ghost blade relics to drop and now I have even more legendaries to obtain!

I prefer the thin 3in1 but half of the reason was because it tugged less on the top strap. That's a non issue with the DAS. The other half is that it twists less during gaming in my experience (though it's harder to untangle it when it does). But yeah. With wireless coming so soon, it's all a non-issue really.

mazillion

I actually own an Oculus + Touch but I think you guys can still help me.

Anybody know of any free apps with artificial locomotion? I want to test out how prone I am to motion sickness and maybe ease into before I consider buying games with it.

I actually own an Oculus + Touch but I think you guys can still help me.

Anybody know of any free apps with artificial locomotion? I want to test out how prone I am to motion sickness and maybe ease into before I consider buying games with it.

Try out the Compound demo.

Brutal Doom in VR sounds kinda fuckin vicious. Is there any complicated setup on that? And is it wasd locomotion?

Yes, it´s really Brutal. I still hear the imp´s screams.

Use the Vive version o GZdoom (latest in the forums) and drag the brutal.pk3 to it´s .exe.

Yes, its wasd movement (you can also roll and duck and all the other things that Brutal doom enable) with horizontal mouse aim (but not vertical).

You can freely aim with your head too.

Good ripping

Putosaure

Damn, after months of playing without glasses (they don't fit quite well in the headset), I finally tried and "forced" my way through. It's a lot clearer !! Wish my glasses fitted more :(

jotun?

I'm actually sore from playing Gorn the last couple of days. I'm a fairly active person, but I guess I don't often use my "viciously bash heads in with a rock" muscles that much

Damn, after months of playing without glasses (they don't fit quite well in the headset), I finally tried and "forced" my way through. It's a lot clearer !! Wish my glasses fitted more :(

Be very careful, you can scratch the the lenses (of the Vive or your glasses). Get some inserts!

sonofbryce

Neo Member
Hello again, spamming here to announce that Raybeem's demo is available. If you're into music & music visualization, give it a shot. Compatible with HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, and Desktop. Demo available for Windows and Mac (no VR support yet).

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnIWkS4Wp7A

Download the demo: https://sokay.itch.io/raybeem-vr-music-visualizer

Some demo footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJGAmaWcaGY

Please give it a shot and let us know what you think!

On Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/631120/Raybeem/

You can check more at our site: http://www.liveinyourmusic.com

And on Instagram at: https://www.instagram.com/sokaylife/

I've been having an issue where trying to view my Desktop, it is tinted green and splitup and overlapped. Nothing has been changed, no new hardware or software. It just happened. It's not a cable, because the cable to the monitor is fine and the vive itself is totally fine, unless clicking on the desktop button. It's super weird, Anyone have any idea why this is happening?
ix24Cpz.jpg

I've been having an issue where trying to view my Desktop, it is tinted green and splitup and overlapped. Nothing has been changed, no new hardware or software. It just happened. It's not a cable, because the cable to the monitor is fine and the vive itself is totally fine, unless clicking on the desktop button. It's super weird, Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Do you have a dual screen setup? I've had a quick look about and most people with this problem have dual monitors and it goes away if they disable the second monitor or use Win+P and select first/second screen only. No root cause has been found though so it could be a Driver/Windows Update/SteamVR version conflict but why it just pops up when no changes have been made makes me think it's not likely. My guess would be a setting has gone awry somewhere. It might be worth checking the log files for steam vr, there may be something pointing to the problem in them. Possibly try a reinstall/reset of SteamVR in case some config file is corrupt or rename your settings in your profile so they are recreated. I'd try running Steam/SteamVR as an admin too, just to see if that helps. Good luck!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Its absurd how much of a pain in the ass having a Vive again has been.

Looking at the VR Compsitor log I see the following failure:

Code:
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.066 - VR compositor (v1497390325) starting up
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.066 - RuntimePath : H:\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.079 - Events created
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.083 - Initializing generic graphics device resources...
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.086 - Headset is using direct mode
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.098 - Initializing CD3D11VRRenderer
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.106 - Creating nvapi display
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.124 - NvAPI: Failed to set direct display mode! Error='NVAPI_TIMING_NOT_SUPPORTED'
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.124 - Failed to create render targets for NvAPI display in direct mode!
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.124 - Failed to init graphics device
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.126 - Failed to initialize compositor
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.126 - Failed to start compositor: VRInitError_Compositor_Failed

Of significance is the: "NvAPI: Failed to set direct display mode! Error='NVAPI_TIMING_NOT_SUPPORTED'"

GTX 1080ti. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and have any idea on resolution here?

The error is Error 306 or 307 Shared IPC Compositor failed, but the actual issue appeared to be the above which is pulled from the compositor log.

I got a deluxe audio strap in, and still havent had a chance to test it.

Zalusithix

Its absurd how much of a pain in the ass having a Vive again has been.

Looking at the VR Compsitor log I see the following failure:

Code:
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.066 - VR compositor (v1497390325) starting up
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.066 - RuntimePath : H:\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.079 - Events created
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.083 - Initializing generic graphics device resources...
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.086 - Headset is using direct mode
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.098 - Initializing CD3D11VRRenderer
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.106 - Creating nvapi display
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.124 - NvAPI: Failed to set direct display mode! Error='NVAPI_TIMING_NOT_SUPPORTED'
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.124 - Failed to create render targets for NvAPI display in direct mode!
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.124 - Failed to init graphics device
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.126 - Failed to initialize compositor
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:35:30.126 - Failed to start compositor: VRInitError_Compositor_Failed

Of significance is the: "NvAPI: Failed to set direct display mode! Error='NVAPI_TIMING_NOT_SUPPORTED'"

GTX 1080ti. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and have any idea on resolution here?

The error is Error 306 or 307 Shared IPC Compositor failed, but the actual issue appeared to be the above which is pulled from the compositor log.

I got a deluxe audio strap in, and still havent had a chance to test it.

If you're running the latest Nvidia drivers, roll back to 382 or earlier. May or may not resolve your issue specifically, but I've heard of nothing but problems with the latest drivers and SteamVR.

Edit: Failing that, it appears you're running the release version of SteamVR, so you could also try opting into the beta branch and see if that does any good.

Do you have a dual screen setup? I've had a quick look about and most people with this problem have dual monitors and it goes away if they disable the second monitor or use Win+P and select first/second screen only. No root cause has been found though so it could be a Driver/Windows Update/SteamVR version conflict but why it just pops up when no changes have been made makes me think it's not likely. My guess would be a setting has gone awry somewhere. It might be worth checking the log files for steam vr, there may be something pointing to the problem in them. Possibly try a reinstall/reset of SteamVR in case some config file is corrupt or rename your settings in your profile so they are recreated. I'd try running Steam/SteamVR as an admin too, just to see if that helps. Good luck!

I got it fixed. I did not have dual monitors, I tried deleting and reinstalling SteamVR as well, but when I reinstalled the Nvidia Drivers, it corrected itself. Something must have got corrupted I guess. Weird, but I'm glad it's fixed.

Does antyone know how to REMOVE the Deluxe Audio Strap? I tried googling, to no avail, it only finds instruction to install it (which includes removing the old one).

I ask, because on top of the faulty foam padding, this happened:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Pn3Kif1fE

First off, I have not tried to get the DAS off again, I imagine the same way by rotating the connectors until a loud clicking is heard, as in this official VIVE tutorial

When looking at the connectors mechanics...that Vive tutorial maybe lacking in details as this dude did it a little differently.

There is a ringshaped rail-like structure on the HMD and it has indentations, I believe by turning the connected strap around you free the connectors once you've reached those indentations. ... I'm not actually sure if that is how it works to be honest and in the install tutorial the rotational angle of the DAS is ignored as you are supposed to just press both together.

When I was putting the DAS on my HMD it wasn't as smooth and easy as it was in the second video, was a bit more of a "Am I doing this right?" kind of experience. If you get it done, post your experience, I'm interested in how it is done aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom