• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compsiox

Banned
Good enough for me to post about it. Something cool. But may be used to achieve high scores in a game that has leaderboards. I don't want to give any more hints than that.

Okay then. I'm guessing it has to do with being invincible or killing everything effortlessly.

edit: yeah, email dev

Their steam page says to post it in the community forums and the newest post is someone stating to have found invincibility and wants to email a dev, but hasn't recieved a reply yet.

Mine's not as broken as invincibility I guess I'll just make a post in the community forums.

Zalusithix

Anybody with a Vive try banding the cable to one of their ankles in room scale? Wonder how that would affect mobility. Should keep the cable from pulling on the head in movement or wrapping around the body while turning. I can't see any real downsides compared to just dangling from the head. Theoretically at least.

pj

Banned
Anybody with a Vive try banding the cable to one of their ankles in room scale? Wonder how that would affect mobility. Should keep the cable from pulling on the head in movement or wrapping around the body while turning. I can't see any real downsides compared to just dangling from the head. Theoretically at least.

People on reddit were suggesting getting a carabiner and putting it through a back belt loop on your pants and routing the cable through it

OVPOL.jpg

Compsiox

Banned
I feel that since I'm posting in a public community forum, I might as well post it here and on reddit, too. Thoughts?

I think that's pointless. You'll be bringing a lot of attention to it. The discussion forum for the game is dead customer-wise but the devs will check it and ask you to detail it.

That should be the end of it.

So during my three days of demo'ing SPT, I decided to start calling SPT the dark souls of shooter games.

-you die a lot
-you can go sword and board
-you can go rolling fool (please don't, oh no my poor vive ;_;)
-you can go parry and stab (use the weak laser to stun anyone about to shoot you then kill them with your main gun)

<_< I have a very poor definition of dark souls

Compsiox

Banned
I'm not (since I'd want to post a video of it for maximum upvotes, and I can't do that atm), but I'd just be very bitter that now that I posted about it, if someone else posts it up on reddit and gets lots of upvotes or something then I'd be upset

Honestly, you care too much about that. You even included reddit fame in your first or second post about it.

Zalusithix

People on reddit were suggesting getting a carabiner and putting it through a back belt loop on your pants and routing the cable through it

OVPOL.jpg

Yeah, I've had the idea of attaching the cable to the lower back/hip for some time now (albeit for an overhead cable management scheme). Moving it down to the ankle, however, keeps the body attachment point closest to the resting point of the cable. Assuming you properly lift your feet, you could spin until the cable became stupidly twisted without it ever getting wound around your body. Meanwhile a quick flick of the leg will cast the cable slack away without having to ever use your hands.

On the downside, you could potentially stop the movement of the tied foot by stepping on the cable, but that's not impossible even with it coming down from the head if it gets looped around the legs. Not wearing shoes and making sure to not remain stepping on the cable eliminates that problem in general.

Probably no one in this thread would be interested, but if someone's interested in selling their's for a decent markup without the hassle and fee's of Ebay, let me know. Just wanted to mention it once, just in case someone was thinking about it.

IMACOMPUTA

Getting ready for tomorrow!
I downloaded all of the free stuff and demos on steam.
Bought:
Virtual desktop
Hover Junkers
Apollo 11
the Blu

Wondering if I should have gotten SPT...

Anything else a must-have?

Animator

I'm not (since I'd want to post a video of it for maximum upvotes, and I can't do that atm), but I'd just be very bitter that now that I posted about it, if someone else posts it up on reddit and gets lots of upvotes or something then I'd be upset

Man I haven't cringed reading a post as much as I did just now in a while.

How much karma are you looking for? Good chance it would just get buried. At best you'd make a few hundred karma with that kind of post on a sub that size.
considering i'm currently at 135, that could possibly triple my number

Man I haven't cringed reading a post as much as I did just now in a while.
hm, maybe you just don't understand what's going on here. see, you have a number. and it gets larger.
Getting ready for tomorrow!
I downloaded all of the free stuff and demos on steam.
Bought:
Virtual desktop
Hover Junkers
Apollo 11
the Blu

Wondering if I should have gotten SPT...

Anything else a must-have?
SPT is 10900000% must have
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe final approach.
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe vanishing realms

IMACOMPUTA

hm, maybe you just don't understand what's going on here. see, you have a number. and it gets larger.
SPT is 10900000% must have
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe final approach.
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe vanishing realms

I feel like Raw Data might be more up my alley. Waiting for a chance to buy that...

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Email the dev, print screen, black out info, upload privately to imgur so it's dated by the service, post image after it's fixed. Go all "this is how you handle reporting exploits (fixed today)", dive into scrooge mcduck style karma vault

Trojan

I'd been threatening to buy a new rig and a VR headset for a few months. I finally caved tonight and did just that. Just ordered a Vive and have a June ship window.

Is the consensus still that the Vive's room-scale solution + controllers is the best experience vs the current offering of the Occulus?

Kevin

For those with any of the VR sets, how playable are games like Adr1ft, Vanishing of Ethan Carter and other games where you move around with a joystick?

Does it work well enough? Better then using a monitor or is it a broken experience that feels off?

I was hoping that I would enjoy games like those when I get my Vive. Was more interested in stuff like that then any other kind of VR game.

Enk

makes good threads.
For those with any of the VR sets, how playable are games like Adr1ft, Vanishing of Ethan Carter and other games where you move around with a joystick?

Does it work well enough? Better then using a monitor or is it a broken experience that feels off?

I was hoping that I would enjoy games like those when I get my Vive. Was more interested in stuff like that then any other kind of VR game.

It really depends on the individual and what you can get accustomed to. During my first couple of weeks in the DK1 I would get a bad case of motion sickness, by the time I got the DK2 I was playing games like Half Life, Quake 2, and Minecraft with a controller without much problem. It's a little awkward at first but it eventually became second nature for me. It can feel off at times but there's other factors involved that more than make up for it.

As for it being better than a monitor, on my end if I find out that the game is going to have VR support I'd wait until it has it before I first want to play it (like with Ethan Carter and The Witness). So I guess I prefer to have that experience rather than off of a tv.

artsi

I have thousands of those stupid points and it's completely worthless. Let it goooo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, I've had the idea of attaching the cable to the lower back/hip for some time now (albeit for an overhead cable management scheme). Moving it down to the ankle, however, keeps the body attachment point closest to the resting point of the cable. Assuming you properly lift your feet, you could spin until the cable became stupidly twisted without it ever getting wound around your body. Meanwhile a quick flick of the leg will cast the cable slack away without having to ever use your hands.

On the downside, you could potentially stop the movement of the tied foot by stepping on the cable, but that's not impossible even with it coming down from the head if it gets looped around the legs. Not wearing shoes and making sure to not remain stepping on the cable eliminates that problem in general.

I actually have a couple of carabiners I just found while clearing out my room to make space for my vive when it eventually ships. Serendipity!

I don't think the ankle idea is good. Screams of tangling it round your feet more than just letting it hang loose. Personally I think the carabiner is a good start - remove tension from your head should reduce tugging if you read on it and maybe reduce the weight a little too. To reduce tangling I still think some kind of 'tail' would be good, to kick the cable out from your body so when it hits the floor it isn't by your feet.

Ionic

Coming in to say Final Approach is a great game. It's got quite a bit more going on than you'd think and it all feels good to play. Runs well too. If you were put off by the price, check again because they lowered it and it's certainly worth 20.

Coming in to say Final Approach is a great game. It's got quite a bit more going on than you'd think and it all feels good to play. Runs well too. If you were put off by the price, check again because they lowered it and it's certainly worth 20.

ok. I'll buy this and Holopoint.

Radial G is solid on Vive right? Anyone have? Looking for a motion sickness grade on a scale of

1 <---------------------------------------------> Windlands

Durante

Radial G is solid on Vive right? Anyone have? Looking for a motion sickness grade on a scale of

1 <---------------------------------------------> Windlands
Radial-G works great on Vive.

It used to make me motion sick on DK2, but either the higher Hz or larger FoV (so you see more of the cockpit) helps and I can play 12 races in a row on the Vive without problems.

I still enjoy the few minutes of windlands I play. I'm sad people gave up on it so easily.

But I also still think it has shit level design.

Im also sad composix didn't reply to the pm I sent him of the exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom