• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Pre user guide is available online

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My first thought

bnZkjkQ.png

jaypah

Just have to slide an ottoman out of the way in the living room and I'm all set. Damn, this is gonna be awesome!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Inspiring living room decoration for a modern home. ;)

if the cable is detachable from the headset, then you could have it retract into the ceiling void when not in use - my projector screen does that and its pretty discreet when not being used.

I just measured the space where my PC sits in the spare room - if I roll the office chair out of the way its 1.5m x 1.5m. If I moved to the other end of the spare room, I could squeeze 2m x 2m.

Does the vive warn you when your hands are approaching your 'walls'? Because just standing up in the middle of my 1.5m x 1.5m space, I can swing my arms past the edges or hit the walls.

This is why I'll be getting Oculus Touch controllers and sampling some of these room scale experiences with less than ideal tech to get an idea of required space, etc, before buying a Vive. I'm not sure I have enough space. I think I might, but touch controllers are a safer bet even if they aren't as good at room scale.

If I have the space and love it, then I might get the Vive.

artsi

I have two empty rooms but too bad I have no interest in room scale VR before there are some gameplay experiences with more depth. What I've seen so far has been something I will try a few times and then go back to enjoying p... laying flight simulators :p

espher

Contemplating setting this up in my minihome livingroom. I think I have enough of an open space and would just need to move my coffee table for it to work... might be slightly shallow on the width.

tuxfool

Banned
To the people here mentioning problems mounting the lighthouse base stations, I should point out that Oculus Touch will have exactly the same problems.

Also you're not required to mount them up high. The manual show that the system allows for basestations that are radio occluded by providing a long sync cable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I have the right space for this, a bit over the minimum. The only concern I have is how much sensitive to the sun light it is, because during the day there is quite a lot.

Challenge her to find a gracious solution.

It kind of sucks because my current apartment would be really good for this stuff. It has black walls which could hide the lighthouse units/wires and it has a lot of clear space that I could use for room scale. But I'm moving on the 20th so :/ The new place is smaller, I don't feel like painting the walls (nor do I think my girlfriend would be in to that in this particular place due to less natural light), and the layout doesn't allow for any significant clearable space for room scale.

Jesus until this is wireless this stand around shit isn't going to work. I can't wait to see pcs getting ripped to the ground when captain dumbass trips over his cables. Seriously how do they not expect this to happen. Massive home destruction incoming.

That's like complaining about game controller cables despite them having the ability to breakaway to prevent that eventuality.

You run around a room blindfolded with your controllers? and breakaways dont always work.

Vive developers have been saying you actually subconsciously learn to deal with the cable - you can feel what direction it's coming off of you so you know roughly where it is. They say most people get that after about 40 minutes of play.

We see the Vive is an a controlled enviroment. Once it gets into homes and people have makeshift rooms, this is where I see the problems. i just remember people throwing wii controllers into tvs. I cant imagine what happens with this.

dorn.

What's with all the negativity and cynicism?

This is why I'll be getting Oculus Touch controllers and sampling some of these room scale experiences with less than ideal tech to get an idea of required space, etc, before buying a Vive. I'm not sure I have enough space. I think I might, but touch controllers are a safer bet even if they aren't as good at room scale.

If I have the space and love it, then I might get the Vive.

Oculus touch is a lot more of a hassle to set up than Vive actually. I personally expect to have no problem setting up the vive both at my desk and in my living room. I have no idea how I would incorporate 360° touch, as it requires another constellation camera positioned behind you that is wired to your PC. I can't do that at my desk (there's a bed 1,5m behind me) or in my living room (there's either a couch behind me or the cameras are standing on the floor in the middle of the room). With lighthouse I can just mount them anywhere in the general vicinity of a power outlet. I've already done the math and I can get two seperate play areas in the bedroom (1.5x2m floor area in front of my desk, 2x4m area off to the side) and one big one in the living room (2,5x5m) working with minimal effort (literally move a chair/the couch table). Lighthouse truly is a stroke of genius.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
sl3UAkD.png

"WTF is this shit?"

Because most people don't have remotely enough space for what they are showing. Any set of instructions that have you moving your couch is going to be met with a healthy degree of cynicism I think.

Don't get me wrong, the technology is great. If I had the space I would buy this.

Nzyme32

You run around a room blindfolded with your controllers? and breakaways dont always work.

First off, a breakaway cable that doesn't work correctly is a failure. I have yet to come across one that fails to do its job.

Also, the chaperone system exists precisely to avoid accidents by highlighting the bounds of the play area when necessary so you are not blind to the outside world. They now integrated a camera into this so you can access a visual representation of what is around as part of that system as well. They claim this could be used to alert a user of moving objects in the area such as a cat.

Of course this stuff won't be fully proven till it gets into the hands of customers and is put through its paces in a multitude of environments

First off, a breakaway cable that doesn't work correctly is a failure. I have yet to come across one that fails to do its job.

Also, the chaperone system exists precisely to avoid accidents by highlighting the bounds of the play area when necessary so you are not blind to the outside world. They now integrated a camera into this so you can access a visual representation of what is around as part of that system as well. They claim this could be used to alert a user of moving objects in the area such as a cat.

Of course this stuff won't be fully proven till it gets into the hands of customers and is put through its paces in a multitude of environments

Last sentence is correct. We will have to see.. I am guessing for hilarious results.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

The VR world has entered a troubled dark age. It was all dreams and hope and everybody dancing together until now, but since the virtual is close to become real a terrible war has started. In the end it can be only one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have the right space for this, a bit over the minimum. The only concern I have is how much sensitive to the sun light it is, because during the day there is quite a lot.

it says to close curtains and cover mirrors. It doesn't like reflections and probably sunlight.

I'd think you'd be able to hide the lighthouses ok. Paint them white and run power down inside your wall.

Oculus touch is a lot more of a hassle to set up than Vive actually. I personally expect to have no problem setting up the vive both at my desk and in my living room. I have no idea how I would incorporate 360° touch, as it requires another constellation camera positioned behind you that is wired to your PC. I can't do that at my desk (there's a bed 1,5m behind me) or in my living room (there's either a couch behind me or the cameras are standing on the floor in the middle of the room). With lighthouse I can just mount them anywhere in the general vicinity of a power outlet. I've already done the math and I can get two seperate play areas in the bedroom (1.5x2m floor area in front of my desk, 2x4m area off to the side) and one big one in the living room (2,5x5m) working with minimal effort (literally move a chair/the couch table). Lighthouse truly is a stroke of genius.
It's a cost thing, plain and simple. I'm getting a Rift because Kickstarter backer. I don't know if room scale will work in my house. So my choices are gamble on a Vive headset knowing it will offer the best room scale experience should I be able to rearrange an appropriate space, or gamble on the Touch controllers, which will be a lot cheaper to see if room scale is going to fly in my house, and then go from there.

Lighthouse is really clever technology. My house doesn't have many appropriate spaces, and the issue isn't so much putting in the constellation cameras or lighthouse sensors as it is rearranging an appropriate space where I can still get the PC.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
it says to close curtains and cover mirrors. It doesn't like reflections and probably sunlight.

I'd think you'd be able to hide the lighthouses ok. Paint them white and run power down inside your wall.

Yeah, I read that. I have no mirrors there, but just some thin curtains, so that's actually what I'm wonder, if those will be enough. But that I play that much during day anyhow.

georly

AHAHAHHAHAHA

Also, this looks to be about the same dimensions as my guest bedroom minus the room to actually put a PC/desk - might have to have some sort of wall-mounted solution? Really looking forward to converting my guest bedroom in a year or so.

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah, I read that. I have no mirrors there, but just some thin curtains, so that's actually what I'm wonder, if those will be enough. But that I play that much during day anyhow.

Basing on observations of how typical IR blasters work, I'd say the only real problem is strong direct sunlight. IR blasters don't even use lasers.

I'd be able to clear enough space for this but I wonder how many other people will be out of luck. My guess is that room scale VR games on the Vive will be in the minority.

My man cave is ready.

Only thing I'll have to move is the couch, but I'll push it towards one of the walls and voilà, 3x3m room-scale-VR-ready room.

Arulan

My girlfriend is an interior designer. I'd be lucky if I could get away with the lighthouse mounts let alone a ceiling contraption solely for holding my VR wires lol.

Do it in another room? I'd hate to be limited to technology that is aesthetically pleasing.

I'm moving shortly, and was just recently looking for a place to live. I made sure what would be my office space is large enough. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the full 12ft x 9ft tracking area (or whatever variation of 5m diagonal I'll use) and then some.

I'm curious, but what type of ceiling wire management did you have in mind Durante? Specifically, where can I get it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's a cost thing, plain and simple. I'm getting a Rift because Kickstarter backer. I don't know if room scale will work in my house. So my choices are gamble on a Vive headset knowing it will offer the best room scale experience should I be able to rearrange an appropriate space, or gamble on the Touch controllers, which will be a lot cheaper to see if room scale is going to fly in my house, and then go from there.

Lighthouse is really clever technology. My house doesn't have many appropriate spaces, and the issue isn't so much putting in the constellation cameras or lighthouse sensors as it is rearranging an appropriate space where I can still get the PC.

The alternative is to flip your OR when you receive it and use the money towards a vive. Depending on how much more expensive it is, and how much the Oculus touch costs, it may be roughly the same overall cost.

Portman

This isn't helping my desire to try this out. I'm still worried about my vision being an issue and the other problem was space. Now that I know it will work in small spaces I'm more prone to pre-order this at the end of the month. Good find on the setup guide since it helps to have an idea what is required to use the tech.

You're not helping out GAF! :) (unless this is a plan to get me to buy it and then sell at a discount if I can't utilize it).

Do it in another room? I'd hate to be limited to technology that is aesthetically pleasing.

I'm moving shortly, and was just recently looking for a place to live. I made sure what would be my office space is large enough. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the full 12ft x 9ft tracking area (or whatever variation of 5m diagonal I'll use) and then some.

I live in the city and thus in an apartment. Not so easy to just get another room lol. Not without tacking on another $500 give or take to my rent.

Top Bottom