• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huawei unveils first VR sunglasses, "Vision Glass". OLED, 1080p, 90% DCI-P3, virtual 120in screen, launches Dec. Works with PC/Tablets/Smartphones.

Today, during the 2022 World VR Industry event, Huawei launched the first smart Vision Glass. These viewing glasses pack a bunch of surprising features and some outstanding functionalities.

Huawei Vision Glass launched with a Micro-OLED display. Ultimately, this mini panel amounts similar to a 120-inch massive virtual screen.

On the other hand, the display supports binocular 1080P resolution with full HD context and 480 nit brightness. It holds 90% of the DCI-P3 color gamut and has successfully gained the German Rheinland low blue light certificate.

In terms of design, Vision Glass has appeared with a muscular outlook. Further, the glasses showcase matte texture on the broader frames. It holds a plugin void on the left side. The pack-box of the device also retains a robust black structure.

Another interesting addition is the ultra-thin smart speakers. These tiny speakers exhibit myopia adjustment ranging from 0-500 degrees. In other words, it can be adjustable up to 500 diopters of refractive power.

Significantly, Huawei Vision Glasses has launched without any local CPU or storage segments. Hence, this gadget won’t support any external mobile hard drive. Though, you can effectively connect the wearable through smartphones, tablets, and PCs.

The battery life of Huawei Vision Glasses is equivalent to the phone’s battery. Thus, you can easily enjoy the device benefits for a good enough period.

Price and Availability​

As of now, the price of the Huawei Vision Glass is under the hood and will be available for pre-order by November 14. Thereafter, the smart glass will officially make its debut on the sale platform in December.

IMAGES
7526d938-ea69-4538-999d-97dbd27f1bc4.png

41c0bd63-f1d1-4ffd-abeb-c915929c5b30.png

94c1a528-645d-41b9-8f61-c1f375e80a5f.png

d04de7d5-9fc8-470b-a88a-4d2fb402753e.png

7d0675c3-13d3-48b1-a75b-7d0e4873af4c.png

70406120-055f-4b9a-be68-4448632948b2.png

bd460d51-6f6a-4ab7-8526-51bd75b2d03e.png

Pre-orders will open on Nov 14th, two days from now, and will launch sometimes in December.

So it seems Huawei figured out how to give us the thin VR sunglasses 20 years early.

It has long battery life of the average phone, though they don't specify which phone. The Displays are like looking at 120 inch OLED displays at 1080p and it has 90% DCI-P3 plus miniature smart speakers.

It's definitely impressive tech considering the small sunglasses form factor. Unlick other VR headsets you don't have to hook it up to a stationary device like a console or computer, but can also hook it up to a phone.

So you can have the Smartphone in your pocket while wearing these sunglasses and people will just assume the wire is just you connecting headphones. Pretty clever Huawei.

The only problem I see is the missed opportunity to add AR capabilities as well but that would increase the price which I assume will be announced when pre-orders open on November 14th

See now we are getting somewhere with this VR stuff, sunglasses is much better than a clunky headset. Maybe in 5 years we will have AR/VR sunglasses that can be stand alone without being connected to a phone, or at least giving us the option. Huawei just sped up the wait by 15 years!

CamHostage

Well, I'm in need of something to play my PS3 3D games and watch Mad Max: Fury Road 3D at home now that my old 1080p 3DTV is starting to fall apart (literally, I broke the power button the other day), so if it has to be via glasses, I guess that's better than nothing since they don't make 3D TVs anymore.... *

I am confused though, is this a VR device? Seems like it's just a big projected-on-glasses screen (actually, I don't even see it say 3D, although it must be bi-ocular, right?) Nothing about any motion sensors either (and no controllers, of course.) Seems like this is more of the Virtual Television idea again, which we've had in the past, although this is a new form factor of comfort here.

(*This idea won't work with these glasses anyway, since they don't run off of an HDMI source, but I'm sure in time something will come along that'll give me reason to pull my 3D BDs out of the mothballs again.)

CamHostage

These aren't VR or AR, they're a personal display. Sony released one over a decade ago called the HMZ-T1. The Nreal Air is a modern and even more "sunglass" version of them.

Yep, I remember wanting to get the Sony one back when I was trying to figure out my living condition after college and was thinking, "Hmm, maybe I don't need a TV...?" Didn't happen for me though.

Haven't seen this Nreal Air before, but $380 for a big virtual TV (with 3D plus some light VR or at least head-tracking features) seems interesting.

Jennings

You couldn't pay me to use a Huawei device.

The Federal Communications Commission plans to ban all sales of new Huawei and ZTE telecommunications devices in the U.S. — as well as some sales of video surveillance equipment from three other Chinese firms — out of national security concerns, sources with direct knowledge of the private deliberations told Axios.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Yeah, more of a personal display than VR/AR glasses. Obviously Huawei is a non-starter, however, continued miniaturisation of the technology is still impressive.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Without knowing a price, who cares. If it's $999, it's doa. If it's $199 it's a cool toy.
1080p though?

Reallink

Yep, I remember wanting to get the Sony one back when I was trying to figure out my living condition after college and was thinking, "Hmm, maybe I don't need a TV...?" Didn't happen for me though.

Haven't seen this Nreal Air before, but $380 for a big virtual TV (with 3D plus some light VR or at least head-tracking features) seems interesting.

You didn't miss much, the T1 was unbearably uncomfortable. I bought one and had to return it cause it was basically unusable.

digdug2

Well, I'm in need of something to play my PS3 3D games and watch Mad Max: Fury Road 3D at home now that my old 1080p 3DTV is starting to fall apart (literally, I broke the power button the other day), so if it has to be via glasses, I guess that's better than nothing since they don't make 3D TVs anymore.... *

I am confused though, is this a VR device? Seems like it's just a big projected-on-glasses screen (actually, I don't even see it say 3D, although it must be bi-ocular, right?) Nothing about any motion sensors either (and no controllers, of course.) Seems like this is more of the Virtual Television idea again, which we've had in the past, although this is a new form factor of comfort here.

(*This idea won't work with these glasses anyway, since they don't run off of an HDMI source, but I'm sure in time something will come along that'll give me reason to pull my 3D BDs out of the mothballs again.)
I feel your pain. I have way more 3D Blu-ray movies than I would like to admit, and I don't like the fact that I can no longer use them since I don't have a 3D TV anymore.

CamHostage

I feel your pain. I have way more 3D Blu-ray movies than I would like to admit, and I don't like the fact that I can no longer use them since I don't have a 3D TV anymore.

4K HFR 3D HDTVs would be even better today (and potentially cheaper) since they'd eliminate many of the visual problems of previous 3D tech, giving 1080p per eye and cutting down significantly on crosstalk and taking advantage of modern framerate sync / high-framerate processors already built into the devices.

Unfortunately, the fad of 3D burned so many people (or at least led to so many memes) and so no TV manufacturer will bother adding 3D to a TV anymore even as an option among the feature set.

I get that it's not for everybody as it once was advertised (for better or worse, that craze does not seem to be coming back with Avatar 2,) but it's a shame to me that 3D TVs are now seen as being for nobody, and so they don't exist.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, that's not VR. And this type of sunglasses design will NEVER work well for VR, because in VR you want complete isolation from the outside world to be fully immersed. This design simply cannot do that.

Zug

This is no VR indeed, no lenses and 3D immersion, just a big screen in front of the viewer, which could have it's uses, like watching movies on the go. I believe these kind of products pre-existed the first Oculus Rift.
Actual AR would be more interesting though, real life applications are gigantic. I already wear glasses so I'd like to have some HUD information on there as well (Health bar, blader bar and so on !)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Just buy a VR headset like quest 2. I still have a functioning 3DTV (two actually, one was literally a dumpster TV) and a VR headset is a better way to watch.

AJUMP23

1080p is not enough. That is probably a choice made to keep cost down. I don’t really know of a use case I would have for this.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The author of the article at huaweicentral.com is the source of confusion. The article he used as source doesn't say VR glasses, it just says "smart viewing glasses":

At the 2022 World VR Industry Conference, He Gang, COO of Huawei Device BG, brought Huawei's first smart viewing glasses, Vision Glass.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
You couldn't pay me to use a Huawei device.

Usually the anti-anything-China comments are pretty tiresome, but in this case Huawei has been openly outed to be closely connected to the CCP, if not an outright branch of the Chinese gov, so... yeah. That insane drama with the CCP freaking out over Canada detaining the daughter of Huawei's CEO says just about everything. I wouldn't use anything Huawei either.

That said, the design is cool, and I hope this will move the needle forward so VR can have that mass market appeal sunglasses factor. Until then it'll never truly take off. Time to copy the Chinese for a change.

Top Bottom