• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble Weekly Bundle: Gamemaker (ever thought about getting into game dev?)

Humble Bundle's weekly is Gamemaker themed:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Pay What You Want:
YoYo RPG w/ Foliage Pack & Items Pack
Another Perspective
WizardWizard + Source Code & Documentation
Spoiler Alert
DRM: Death Ray Manta

6+:
GameMaker Studio Pro key
Stealth Bastard Deluxe
Savant Ascent
Another Perspective: Source Code
Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in The Hotel Lisbon
DRM: Death Ray Manta: Source Code
10 Second Ninja
Spoiler Alert: Source Code
Super Crate Box + Source Code

12+:
GameMaker Studio: Android Module
Stealth Bastard Deluxe: Source Code
Savant - Ascent: Source Code
Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in The Hotel Lisbon: Source Code
10 Second Ninja: Source Code
Wasteland Kings + Source Code

Personally I've dabbled in GM before, but never gone whole hog, and part of that is because I always feel like I could use some examples of how it all comes together in the real world, not just in a tutorial environment. Getting the source code to a bunch of games, especially well known ones like SBD and Super Crate Box sounds like an invaluable resource to learn from.

Lock if old, or if this deserves to go into a main humble bundle thread or something.

LewieP

Hell of a bundle.

The new version of DRM is fantastic, too. 10 Second Ninja is one of the best platformers in years.

Edit: Oh hey I think I got a special thanks in the credits for both of these games for anyone who cares about disclosures of that nature.

Surprised the GameMaker parts aren't Steam copies, but still, that's one hell of a bundle.

Indeed. I think GM:S 2.0 is on its way which would make sense why they'd drop prices so low, but regardless it's a hell of a value. I have GM:S on steam and I'm doing this anyway.

You can only do 2D with this right?

Pretty much, yeah. I don't know if you could do some rejiggering to get 3d to work on this, but it's built for 2d. Honestly though, if you want to go 3d, there's no better time, between UE4, Unity, and CryEngine all providing either free or really inexpensive alternatives.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh, no RPG maker included. Figure they'd toss that in with the theme, but I guess it's just "Game Maker" stuff.

Also the bigger news is you can get Spelunky "classic"'s source code for FREE.

Dreavus

One of the things stifling me right now from getting started on my own project is choosing which platform to start working on. I figure I have access to Unity, Stencyl (for a year at least, from the big rpgmaker bundle) and now Gamemaker is on the table.

Is Gamemaker a good tool for beginners? Even if this is the eve of Gamemaker 2.0 I figure this is a good enough deal to get started.

Huh, no RPG maker included. Figure they'd toss that in with the theme, but I guess it's just "Game Maker" stuff.

Also the bigger news is you can get Spelunky "classic"'s source code for FREE.

They had a big RPGmaker bundle a few months ago with all kinds of assets and other stuff to go with it.

Is Gamemaker a good tool for beginners? Even if this is the eve of Gamemaker 2.0 I figure this is a good enough deal to get started.

Yeah...if you're looking to get into 2d development, GM is a really good tool to use. I mean when you consider that hotline miami was made with GM, spelunky was (originally, at least) made with GM, among others, it's a legit tool (although many would suggest Unity is probably better).

The source code is what sold me on this bundle though. That is rad.

Erheller

Great bundle. I'd gladly pay $6 just to get rid of that "Made in Game Maker" message every time you compile.

If you've been thinking about tinkering around in a game engine, it's worth considering Game Maker. it's really easy to pick up and learn.

The source code is what sold me on this bundle though. That is rad.
Yeah, the source code is an amazing deal.

At this point, Unity is so easy to use, with so little coding required, I feel like you'd be better off going with that over GameMaker or Clickteam Fusion.

I used CTF for a long time, which is a GameMaker equivalent, and the freedom and support I've gained by switching to Unity is astonishing.

F-Pina

As someone who has worked with teams using Unity and Game Maker (latest versions) I can tell you guys that Game Maker Pro is an amazing 2D game engine. Being 2D dedicated also means it doesn't hog up resources and space when you want to make something smaller for mobile. Unity's footprint can be big sometimes.

Cptkrush

If anyone is looking to jump on this and has never done this before, here are some links to super helpful tutorials:

Tom Francis (Creator of Gun Point) - Make A Game With No Experience
HeartBeast - Tons of great Tutorials, best to start with his current series Make an RPG
Sean Spalding also has tons of great videos as well, and is now the community manager at YoYo Games

Also, spotted this in the help file:
Steam Key
Getting GameMaker: Studio Professional (and the Android Module) from this Bundle allows you to get a Steam Key.  After 14 days of this purchase please go to our recovery page and enter your email address.  You should receive a list of your license keys.  Please note you have to have created your YoYo Account before doing this.

zulux21

Surprised the GameMaker parts aren't Steam copies, but still, that's one hell of a bundle.

actually reading the how to redeem key doc I see this
TWNAvA4.png

edit I was totally beaten by the last person :p

whitehawk

Banned
Man, OP should put the GameMaker thing in the title. That's $450 of software for $12 I believe. Plus many of the games come with the source code too.

Reese-015

HOLY SHIT DEATH RAY MANTA IS AMAZING

THE FUTURE OF VIDEOGAMES

(srsly though, this just came out and someone should make a beautiful OT for this game, it's amazing)

Cptkrush

Man, OP should put the GameMaker thing in the title. That's $450 of software for $12 I believe. Plus many of the games come with the source code too.

Absolutely agree, I had a pretty nice write up of an OP with links to tutorials and what not ready to go until I searched and found this haha. The word on this needs to be spread cause this is insane. I've never seen these go lower than 80 for GM pro and 150 for the android module.

MrDoctor

GM Pro for $6 is outright theft compared to a couple years ago. Amazing how much easier indie development has become in such a short amount of time.

Luigiv

That's one hell of a bundle, tempting (I have no use for the android module but 12 for a pro license is nothing to scoff at).

Then again, nostalgia for Game Maker aside, is there actually any advantage to it over Unity, which I'm learning to use now?

Edit: Oh should have read the OP more closely, only $6 for the pro license? Score!

It's lifetime.*

Needs an asterisk:

*Lifetime of the validation servers.

As I discovered recently when I tried to activate GM7 on my current PC.

Cptkrush

Looks like the Savant: Ascent team will be posting a nice tutorial series on their website about how to navigate their source code, and how it all works

I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure
http://savantgame.com/DevBlog/

That's one hell of a bundle, tempting (I have no use for the android module but 12 for a pro license is nothing to scoff at).

Then again, nostalgia for Game Maker aside, is there actually any advantage to it over Unity, which I'm learning to use now?
Honestly it comes down to preference. But I feel like with Unity being a 3D engine first, it has a lot of shortcomings when it comes to 2D development. A lot of GameMaker's built in functions in GML are a lot cleaner and easier than Unity's, but Unity is ultimately way more powerful in the long run. I'm sticking with GameMaker until I know more about programming in general, but the engine is super powerful, and coding in GML is a dream imo. DnD is pretty garbage, so there's not a whole lot you can do without opening up the scripting system yourself.

Luigiv

Honestly it comes down to preference. But I feel like with Unity being a 3D engine first, it has a lot of shortcomings when it comes to 2D development. A lot of GameMaker's built in functions in GML are a lot cleaner and easier than Unity's, but Unity is ultimately way more powerful in the long run. I'm sticking with GameMaker until I know more about programming in general, but the engine is super powerful, and coding in GML is a dream imo. DnD is pretty garbage, so there's not a whole lot you can do without opening up the scripting system yourself.

Yeah that's the way I see it too. GM is definitely the better tool to start with for a total novice and definitely has it's appeal for the simpler projects (eg Super Crate Box) but I feel I'm kind of beyond that point and focusing my efforts in Unity is a much better way to grow my skills. Might still by this humble bundle though, just for Nostalgia's sake, anyway. :p

Cptkrush

So...whats the main difference between Game Maker Pro and the Game Maker Android Export Module?

Game Maker Pro is the professional version of GM that lets you publish your games watermark free, and on Mac/Linux, as well as team features and other stuff that I can't quite remember. (This normally runs for about 80 bucks on sale.)

The Android Export Module is an addon for Pro that lets you publish Android games. (This is usually 300 bucks, 150 on sale)

been meaning to get wasteland kings anyway, would pay $12 just for that. The rest is a bonus.
Plus you get access to its source code; how rad is that?

I guess i would have realized this if I looked but wasteland kings is not the same as nuclear throne and it is not on steam. Just an FYI for other people who might not read like i didn't.

At this point, Unity is so easy to use, with so little coding required, I feel like you'd be better off going with that over GameMaker or Clickteam Fusion.

I used CTF for a long time, which is a GameMaker equivalent, and the freedom and support I've gained by switching to Unity is astonishing.
Is unity good for 2D?

Cptkrush

Is unity good for 2D?

Unity makes 2D more complicated than it needs to be in my experience, but it's very good for both 2D and 3D once you're competent with it. Like I said in my posts before, I prefer GM for 2D since 2D is the bread and butter of gamemaker, and it's very very easy to learn and I'd say easy to master as well.

zulux21

So 6$ tier oe 12$?

do you think you would ever make an android game with game maker? if so get the $12 version as if you do make an android game that would save you $144 of the sale price that the android part usually is.

or if you want to look at other's source codes that is also a good use of $6.

I'm personally not sure what android app I would make, especially since I am currently stuck on... I am tired of waiting for someone to make a decent megaman clone, maybe I will do that as a project to learn game maker. and I personally detest touch screen controls for games with movement so yeah wouldn't really want to do that for android.

I do have to ask someone who has used gamemaker before, would it be possible to make a board game (such as itadaki street but not quite an itadaki street clone :p) just with 2d assets? as that seems something far more akin to what I would want to make for android,

Cptkrush

do you think you would ever make an android game with game maker? if so get the $12 version as if you do make an android game that would save you $144 of the sale price that the android part usually is.

or if you want to look at other's source codes that is also a good use of $6.

I'm personally not sure what android app I would make, especially since I am currently stuck on... I am tired of waiting for someone to make a decent megaman clone, maybe I will do that as a project to learn game maker. and I personally detest touch screen controls for games with movement so yeah wouldn't really want to do that for android.

I do have to ask someone who has used gamemaker before, would it be possible to make a board game (such as itadaki street but not quite an itadaki street clone :p) just with 2d assets? as that seems something far more akin to what I would want to make for android,

I mean, anything is possible, as long as you can program it. Most limitations you'll find in GM will often come in the performance category, and even then it's rare.

zulux21

I mean, anything is possible, as long as you can program it. Most limitations you'll find in GM will often come in the performance category, and even then it's rare.

ah, my programming is really rusty (and java based lol), but I imagine if I actually got inspired properly to do something I could pick it up fairly quickly.

we do need more megaman clones though :/

I wonder how hard it would be to use rpg maker assets with this (thinks back to the multiple bundles with sprite creators and what not* I think I own every single game making bundle released in the last 3 years so I bet I have some fun stuff.... somewhere.

but yeah I agree with someone else, we should do what happened last time and have a game creation contest :p

Cptkrush

If you're really interested, just jump in with the Make A Game With No Experience tutorial series I posted earlier. Tom Francis is a mad man and he's very entertaining. I learned most of what I know from that series, and you can get through it relatively quick. It's a lot of fun

Top Bottom