• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble Weekly Bundle: Gamemaker (ever thought about getting into game dev?)

Noaloha

Yeah, I eventually managed to make an account on the YoYo site, then attempted to redeem the main code via the dedicated link that mentions Humble. It seemed to work, but I couldn't verify because the account section has temporarily disabled viewing your list of licences. I installed the program and got to the set-up section with the three options. Selecting the middle one would repeatedly hang at 50% through an 'Acquiring licence' pop-up. One time this morning it actually seemed to complete and notified me 'No licence on this account', so maybe my initial code redemption on the Yoyo account page didn't work after all. I'll wait until the account page reactivates licence viewing before attempting again. I'd reallty hate to go through the hassle of 'losing' the key somehow because of the server load issues. Not a big deal as I'm still happy to just spend my time watching tutorial videos.

-_-
Seriously? Not that I have experience in the game dev side of programming but wouldn't that be limiting in some ways?
Does it accept scripts?

GML is itself a scripting language and there's plenty of functionality available through it to make something pretty cool.
Check out the GameMaker showcase to see some of the most recent games made with it. Also check out Cook, Serve, Delicious - made by NeoGaf user Chubigans (with a sequel on the way). /shamelessplug

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
actually managed to redeem my licenses and get the program working.

did the beginner tutorial where you make the catch the clown game. i was so damn proud of myself for doing that even though it's very simple and guided. i've always wanted to create a game so it's got me a bit determined to stick to learning. i downloaded some assets to change it about and make it football themed. changed the clown to a ball and the wall to grass. i tried making the breakout game which involved typing code. to be honest a lot of it went over my head. tried compiling it but kept getting an error. i have no clue how to fix it.

just making that simple game just showed me how complicated it is to make a game. i can't imagine how it must be to make a huge 3d game.

am_dragon

actually managed to redeem my licenses and get the program working.

Same here, I was playing around with it last night and my 9 year old got really excited. He wanted to put a Mudkip in Wasteland Kings so bad. I bought another copy just for him.

Also I was going though the tutorials after my boys went to bed, they seem great. Also this guy: Shaun Spalding has some great youtube tutorials, and was apparently made a community manager.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Their registration page is STILL getting hammered?! Oh god... It's almost been a week since I bought the bundle, and I still haven't been able to register it... Oh well, it's still a great deal, gotta be patient.

Their registration page is STILL getting hammered?! Oh god... It's almost been a week since I bought the bundle, and I still haven't been able to register it... Oh well, it's still a great deal, gotta be patient.

it was actually working this morning after the maintenance (moving to a different server). i got my stuff redeemed.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So uh, how do I upgrade my Steam version of Gamemaker Studio Standard to Pro? I redeemed the Humblebundle Pro code, and attached my Steam account, but I'm thinking I now basically have 2 separate Gamemaker licenses?

shaowebb

Never got any steam code. Bought it Friday. Took till Sunday for the server load to allow my license through. Try to start it up and all it does is crash. FML.

Noaloha

^

I don't know the specifics of the Steam implementation where existing Yoyo licenses exist, but there may be a 14 day waiting period from point of purchase, as highlighted in the redemption help:

Steam Key
Getting GameMaker: Studio Professional (and the Android Module) from this Bundle allows you to get a Steam
Key. After 14 days of this purchase please go to our recovery page and enter your email address. You should
receive a list of your license keys. Please note you have to have created your YoYo Account before doing
this.

am_dragon

So my 9 year old son is on his way, he edited every frame for the sprite 1, and found the code that switches characters on each death/new game and set it to only use the mudkip sprite.

VCsXFRHl.png

I told him it looks much better than what we were doing last night. His response "yeah that's because that was all you dad."

BTW the boxes are mudkips too.

fenners

So my 9 year old son is on his way, he edited every frame for the sprite 1, and found the code that switches characters on each death/new game and set it to only use the mudkip sprite.

I told him it looks much better than what we were doing last night. His response "yeah that's because that was all you dad."

BTW the boxes are mudkips too.

That's awesome!

zulux21

so I have been looking around but I have been having issues finding anything to solid so I will ask in here.

Does anyone in here know how hard it would be to create a traditional turn based jrpg style combat system. I know it should be possible, but I am debating if it might be better to wait for the new version of rpg maker as my end goal would be to create basically a hybrid between a turn based jrpg and an idle game as one doesn't seem to exist and I want to play that. (thus why it's not bad to talk about the basic idea cause worst case someone thinks it's a good idea and makes it and i can play it lol, ideas are mostly worthless anyways as just because you have an idea doesn't mean you can create anything with it or that two people won't create vastly different products with the same idea.)

I've actually been thinking about it a lot and I think there is a great amount of depth for it, but given it would revolve around the combat system (as it would be pretty much endless combats) I would need to make sure the system could support a combat system going to really high numbers.

NotLiquid

So I got my Humble Code but every time I try to redeem it, it gives me this error.

LnkizbV.png

I'm guessing that I'm not the only one since I'm seeing multiple reports about failed authentications, but this makes it sound like they straight up gave me a wrong key.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I literally missed the bundle by seconds. 😢 If anyone has a $12 gift key, please PM me. Can pay via PayPal.

So I received my license code on my Yoyo Games account, but I don't know how to upgrade my current GameMaker Studio to Pro or how to download Pro.

Help?

Bowl0l

So I received my license code on my Yoyo Games account, but I don't know how to upgrade my current GameMaker Studio to Pro or how to download Pro.

Help?
Installing GameMaker: Studio

Step 01. Install GameMaker: Studio Standard 'Free'
Step 02. Update your license to the correct version
----------> Get license key from your account
----------> Run GameMaker-Studio.exe
----------> Click New tab and click Create
----------> Click Help and click Update License
----------> Insert license key

Tregard

Soothsayer
Does anyone know, does the draw function do all drawing at once? I'm attempting to have a string of 37 characters, and have each individual character draw to a different sprite, one after the other, via iterating through an int known as "stringCount", however it either simple prints out the 1 character 37 times, or doesn't print anything.

global.testString = 'CTIURXODAALICPHIPLEORLTMHSKESTCISMSREW';
global.stringCount = 0;

draw_text(x+0,y+0,string_char_at(global.testString, global.stringCount));
global.stringCount++;

Anyone know of a way to do this?

StarVigil

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but you could try using an array like
Code:
//Create event
testString[0] = "CTIURXODAALICPHIPLEORLTMHSKESTCISMSREW"
testString[1] = "CTIURXODAALICPHIPLEORLTMHSKESTCISMSRER"
testString[36] = "CTIURXODAALICPHIPLEORLTMHSKESTCISMSREM"

testStringCount = 0

//Step event or draw event:

for (testStringCount = 0; testStringCount  < 37; testStringCount ++) {
       draw_text(x,y,testString[testStringCount]
}

//If you want it to change once every second, try using room_speed
/* testStringCount = testStringCount + 1/room_speed

if testStringCount > 36 { testStringCount = 0}

draw_text(x,y,testString[testStringCount])
*/

Hit me up via PM, if that doesn't help. Maybe we can figure something out.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but you could try using an array like
Code:
//Create event
testString[0] = "CTIURXODAALICPHIPLEORLTMHSKESTCISMSREW"
testString[1] = "CTIURXODAALICPHIPLEORLTMHSKESTCISMSRER"
testString[36] = "CTIURXODAALICPHIPLEORLTMHSKESTCISMSREM"

testStringCount = 0

//Step event or draw event:

for (testStringCount = 0; testStringCount  < 37; testStringCount ++) {
       draw_text(x,y,testString[testStringCount]
}

//If you want it to change once every second, try using room_speed
/* testStringCount = testStringCount + 1/room_speed

if testStringCount > 36 { testStringCount = 0}

draw_text(x,y,testString[testStringCount])
*/

Hit me up via PM, if that doesn't help. Maybe we can figure something out.

Thank you, this sorted things out :)

Just needing a way to edit items in a list so I can nullify them, anyone know how to edit particular list indexes?

Top Bottom