• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyper Light Drifter for PS4, Xbox One launches July 26

I don't recall receiving an email about claiming my console version of this. Have I missed it?!

Edit - from being a Kickstarter backer, I mean.

bunkitz

Awesome! Been waiting for this for quite some time. Most anticipated indie game of the year for me.

Ahh, I remember seeing a guy playing it on his laptop once while I was preparing for our thesis defense, hah. I got all jealous and excited.

Pretty surprised it's coming so soon, though. But hey, that's cool. Although, ah, anybody know how much it's gonna cost?

It reminded me a lot of the first time I played LTTP or Link's Awakening DX but with better combat scenarios, insane art direction and audio, and an overwhelming sense of resource scarcity, desolation, and loneliness.

That's a back-of-the-box quote if I ever heard one! Thanks!

Why is this still happening in the year of our lord 2016?

I imagine because "Port to Vita!" isn't an auto-export option? Lots of time and money goes into it, especially if it means getting it to run smoothly on a weaker system like the Vita (vs. the PS4), which can be a huge burden for a small studio that is already committed to putting it out on multiple platforms. If the math worked out in such a way that they would be risking taking a loss on the cost to port to Vita if they made it cross buy, I can understand then why they went that route. Is it convenient for those of us that have both systems and would like the flexibility to play it on either? No, of course not. But I also have to confess that I have maybe one cross-buy game that I have played actively on both PS4 and Vita. Everything else I have played through till the end on whatever platform I chose to start it with.

sirap

Fantastic game. My only knock on it is that it felt too short, but that's only because I didn't want to stop playing.

Fantastic. Only £9.74 with PS+. Pre-ordered without hesitation.

25% off for PS+ is pretty great for a launch price. In NA the PLAY sale has traditionally given us 20% off pre-orders, so I assume the discount will be close to that £9.74; I'm thinking HLD will come in at $15 with a $12 PS+ pre-order price.

PLAY has brought me a bunch of great titles the past two years. Can't wait to see what 2016 holds.

WITHE1982

25% off for PS+ is pretty great for a launch price. In NA the PLAY sale has traditionally given us 20% off pre-orders, so I assume the discount will be close to that £9.74; I'm thinking HLD will come in at $15 with a $12 PS+ pre-order price.

PLAY has brought me a bunch of great titles the past two years. Can't wait to see what 2016 holds.

I'm hoping Headlander has a similar discount. It's also due for release on the 26th.

I like how you now have to pay for pre-orders on PSN upfront. I've a habit of forgetting about them and not having funds in my wallet.

Oh, looks like there never was a console version included in the pledge rewards. In that case I'll go ahead and pre-order this. Been waiting nearly three years for it!

lcap

Yeah! Surely will double dip. Played it a bit on my laptop but decided to wait until it came on consoles (preferrably Vita, but PS4 is nice too).

RiggyRob

Excellent news - any ideas of when the Kickstarter keys might get sent out?

I'm hoping it's at least the same date worldwide unlike the Mighty No.9 shitshow...

UCBooties

I was waiting for the Vita version but I think at this point I'm in for PS4. I'm a bit dissapointed that it's not crossbuy but I understand that can be difficult for smaller developers to justify from a cost standpoint.

If I really like the game and if the Vita port ends up being high quality I might double dip.

RK128

This is amazing news! Heard great things about the PC release and I am looking forward to playing this on my Vita later in the year :).

Before someone ask, the PS Vita port was still in development last April, but it needs more optimization. It will not be cross-buy with the PS4 version. The Wii U port is still in limbo.

I heard this too not long back when the developer posted an update regarding future platform releases post PC launch. Good to hear that the Vita version is coming a long still and that it will hopefully release later this year.

dugdug

Banned
I imagine because "Port to Vita!" isn't an auto-export option? Lots of time and money goes into it, especially if it means getting it to run smoothly on a weaker system like the Vita (vs. the PS4), which can be a huge burden for a small studio that is already committed to putting it out on multiple platforms.

Certainly, I don't doubt much of that. I just think that, it's become a standard expectation that an indie game coming out on both PS4 and Vita is cross-buy. It definitely adds incentive for many potential buyers. I bought Axiom Verge almost a year before I played it, specifically because I knew it was coming to Vita (which is where I wanted to play it).

I mean, of course, to each dev, their own. It's Heart Machine's call in the end, and I hope for them it's the right one.

I'm hoping Headlander has a similar discount. It's also due for release on the 26th.

Oh that's right. That's also a really good candidate. In fact, looking at the games releasing beginning 7/26-- if that's when PLAY starts; it could very well start next Tuesday when they announce the lineup-- There's HLD, Headlander, and Chambara. 8/2 has Abzu, 8/9 doesn't have an indie that I've seen on the upcoming game's list (that would fit the PLAY sale format), and 8/16 is Read Only Memories. A lot of fun candidates in there.

Aren't the psn play games usually exclusives? Or first on Sony consoles.

Not always. 2013 had Stealth Inc (PC) and Ducktales: Remastered which released on multiple platforms simultaneously; PLAY 2014 had Rouge Legacy and The Swapper, both of which had come out much earlier on PC. Last year's was the real standout though. I guess it just comes down to what kind of deals they can secure. I think games like HLD, Headlander, and Abzu are great candidates, but a x-buy PS4/Vita game like Cosmic Star Heroine would be a phenomenal add as well.

KJRS_1993

Been waiting for this ever since the PC version came out, so I'm looking forward to finally trying it.

I hope the higher difficulty is still available.

Galang

Banned
Haven't played since before the initial patches, but the game wasn't terribly difficult at all. The save points were also suuuper frequent. I'm horrible at games generally, but I got pretty close to beating this. When they patched it I decided to wait a while until they decided on what they were doing. Seems some people still consider it hard, but I wouldn't worry about this at all. Game is excellent all around. My only real annoyance with the game was the map

Top Bottom