• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am upset about the Logitech wheels not working on PS4.

Glix

Okay. I understand that it is not assumed that hardware peripherals will carry over to a new platform. I get this. If all PS3 wheels did not work with PS4, I would be much less upset. Thrustmaster and Hori wheels DO work however, only Logitech wheels don't work.

When I bought my Driving Force GT years ago, PS4 was a long long way away, and I will freely admit that backwards compatibility was not a factor in my decision at all.

Fast forward to December 2015. I receive a PS4 as a gift. Soon after I buy Drive Club on sale. Drive Club is incredible. It is gorgeous. I play in cockpit view, sit a perfect distance from the TV, crank the sound, and I am THERE.

I would love to play with my racing wheel, but alas, it does not work on PS4. Drive Club has incredibly short loading time, so I love to just pop in and play an event or two. Considering I would not drag out the wheel/pedals etc, just to play for 15 minutes, its not that huge a deal for me.

Fast forward to last week. I now have VR madness. Knowing that I could probably not afford one of the PC headsets and I certainly am not in a place to upgrade my PC (My i5 2500k and my RAM could stay, but I need a new video card and mobo badly, and I just can't do it right now, especially if I was dropping 600-800 bucks on a headset) and I didn't have a PS4, I purposely avoided VR hype the last two years.

Once I got a PS4 I became a little more interested and finding out it is $400 made it a reality. Once it was a reality, my hype went crazy. The experience I am most excited for is DRIVE CLUB VR. Drive Club transports me... I can't even imagine what Drive Club VR will be like.

I imagine when I am playing drive club VR, I will want a force feedback wheel more than anything. It will not only be the final piece to get me close to full immersion, but will make it the PERFECT showpiece for VR when I am demoing to friends and family.

So this has made me decide that I must have a working wheel for October.

Especially with the cost of VR, getting a new wheel is off the table. I could maybe swing something like the Hori PS3/4 wheel but to get a wheel with no force feedback, when I have one with force feedback sitting in the closet would be awful. Every time I use it I would think about how the experience was inferior. This isn't some quibble either. Having the wheel fight you when you take a turn with too many G's is fantastic. It affects gameplay as well. It is not just a bell/whistle.

With an expensive new wheel off the table, here are my options:

1. Use a DS4 or some kind of weird move steering - BOOOOOO. This would be serviceable but disappointing.

2. Get a Brook Converter or similar piece of hardware - This only emulates a DS4. The wheel will work, but will not have its deadzones properly calibrated and will only have rumble but not force feedback. If I had a PS3->PS4 converter laying around, maybe I could live with this. But I cannot go out and blow $40 on a converter that isn't even going to give me what I want, I think I actually prefer option 1.

3. Use the amazing workaround that has been created. Amazing internet people have created a workaround that sends the controller input signals to your pc which then sends it to the PS4. You can do it via bluetooth (LINUX ONLY) or do it via USB on windows, but you need a custom made usb wire, a normal one will not work and then you also have to have the wheel wired to both the PC and PS4. The USB workaround is no good for me, but I am at the point where I am considering buying a Raspberry Pi and turning it into a LINUX box specifically to act as my wheel converter. I am worried about this as it will be a project (my Linux experience is scant), I mean, I can do it, I'm no slouch with a computer, but it will be a project for sure. I am also worried that at some point a firmware update will break this workaround method.

I am upset because this type of hardware is expensive and this seems like a situation where the consumer is getting fucked right up the ass because two big companies can't be arsed to spend any time/resources to try and figure it out.

Sony obviously has no problem with PS3 wheels still working. They apparently have a problem with input devices that don't have a "security chip", whatever that means. The Logitech wheels don't have them. If you go to Logitech for support/answers about this issue they point to Sony. If you go to Sony for support/answers about this they point at Logitech. I understand that neither company has a legal obligation to do anything here.

But really, for whatever the percentage of users that bought an expensive Logitech wheel (THE OFFICIAL WHEEL OF GRAN TURISMO MIND YOU) don't you think it would be a nice, goodwill gesture for them to figure this out between them? For users that are obviously heavy gamers, willing to go all out and buy expensive additional hardware for their machines?

And you know what? Even if they can't do it in software (I mean, they can, but maybe not in a way that is okay with Sony), I'd be happy to buy a little dongle/converter from Logitechs website with the "security chip" in it. Anything <$50 would be more than fine with me, I'd be over the moon about it.

So yeah, thats why I'm upset. It's probably something I am just going to have to workaround or deal with. I tweeted Shu, maybe he has the magic here. Its just really frustrating knowing that other people with PS3 wheels can just plug them in and they work, but I made the mistake of buying THE OFFICIAL GRAN TURISMO wheel, thinking that Sony had a very strong relationship with the manufacturer and would stand behind the product. Silly me I guess /s

TLDR - Logitech PS3 racing wheels do not work on PS4 despite Thrustmaster and Hori wheels working. OP is poor and frustrated by this.

OmegaDL50

As far as I'm aware it has something to do with Immersion rumble technology patents and Logitech not wanting to renew the license or something.

I agree it's a crappy situation.

wowzors

I know. This is the path I am going to take RaspPi->Linux->Bluetooth, but it is a project, a small outlay, and I have concerns, that are spelled out in the OP.

Yeah the situation sucks, PM me if you need help setting the pi and stuff up. I have mine running with a wireless adapter and putty on the pc to terminal launch gimx and shut down the pi when I'm done.

The project is maybe 45-60 minutes from setup to completion.

Glix

Yeah the situation sucks, PM me if you need help setting the pi and stuff up. I have mine running with a wireless adapter and putty on the pc to terminal launch gimx and shut down the pi when I'm done.

The project is maybe 45-60 minutes from setup to completion.

Thanks so much man. Whenever it goes down, if I run into any issues I will hit you up. I really appreciate it.

dubc35

But really, for whatever the percentage of users that bought an expensive Logitech wheel (THE OFFICIAL WHEEL OF GRAN TURISMO MIND YOU) don't you think it would be a nice, goodwill gesture for them to figure this out between them? For users that are obviously heavy gamers, willing to go all out and buy expensive additional hardware for their machines?

As this was the case, I have a DF GT as well, I would think a GT game on ps4 would be the best bet for Logitech and Sony figuring it out. My guess is they release a new wheel instead though. :(

Glix

well, apparently i'm illiterate because i read over your post and still managed to miss part 3

It probably has to do with my strange rambling posting style.

I try and post the way I speak and its never as engaging as it is in real life. And I make new paragraphs for everything. Its not great, but it's how I do it, lol.

Glix

As this was the case, I have a DF GT as well, I would think a GT game on ps4 would be the best bet for Logitech and Sony figuring it out. My guess is they release a new wheel instead though. :(

Holy shit they already did.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g29-driving-force

I did not know about this. This really ratchets my anger to another level. I had no idea that Logi actually made a wheel that works on PS3 AND PS4. I'm fucking pissed now.

And its $400. They can go fuck themselves.

EDIT - I'm seething

I think the wheel situation would be better if someone, ANYONE, put out a wheel with the same features as the Driving Force GT at a similar price point. Instead it feels like there's a huge chasm between low-end wheels without force feedback and decent wheels that start at $300 and up. Considering there's still no acceptable solution that lets you use one wheel on both Xbox and PlayStation, the higher prices are even more difficult to swallow.

I've basically given up on wheels this generation. My DFGT still works fine on PC, and thank god for that.
Holy shit they already did.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g29-driving-force

I did not know about this. This really ratchets my anger to another level. I had no idea that Logi actually made a wheel that works on PS3 AND PS4. I'm fucking pissed now.

And its $400. They can go fuck themselves.

EDIT - I'm seething

This was the final nail in the coffin for me. I remember seeing the rumors and being kind of interested, and then the final price was way higher than the street price for a G27? No thank you.

dubc35

Oh wow, I thought the G29 was a successor to the G27 (which was their top tier wheel). I didn't realize it had the paddles and (now) add on shifter.

Noobcraft

I'm curious about racing wheels in VR. Is using a wheel that you can't see difficult? It seems like using an H-shifter with a headset on would be weird.

FX-GMC

I'm curious about racing wheels in VR. Is using a wheel that you can't see difficult? It seems like using an H-shifter with a headset on would be weird.

I usually keep my eyes on the road when i shift IRL. Not sure how this would be different.

I'm upset that my G27 doesn't work on my XB1. Forza could be so much better... I am not buying another $300 wheel just so I can use it on one more system.

Noobcraft

I usually keep my eyes on the road when i shift IRL. Not sure how this would be different.
Right, and I do too, but the shifter/wheel in the car you drive in VR is not going to be positioned one-to-one with real life which seems like it would be weird. Driving a right hand drive car in VR with a left hand drive setup would be weird right?

p3n

This is a non issue if the devs are half-decent. You can calibrate your "VR view" shifter's position via DS4/Move/Oculus Touch to match the real one.

OT: Fanatec setups will probably never be supported officially or in Sony 1st party titles. They work fine in Codemaster games (F1 2015) and they work somewhat in pCars (then again, nothing works flawless in that game).

Glix

I mean you can just use paddle shifters or play in automatic mode. If I'm not mistaken the shifter on the DFGT is just up down anyway, so its not that cool.

doomquake

ive got a XIM4 smart translator for situations like this.
use it for mouse and board tho for FPS..but it works with joysticks and wheels too.

Glix

use it for mouse and board tho for FPS..but it works with joysticks and wheels too.

Not sure force feedback would work. If it makes the PS4 just see it as a DS4, it won't have full functionality.

This exact reason is why I never feel comfortable dipping into expensive third party controllers, no matter how enticing, high-end or essential to the experience they end up being. I still feel this way about fight sticks, and those are significantly less expensive. I wanted to buy the Ion Drumset for Rockband back in the day, and I'm glad I didn't because I hear that it's not even supported in the most recent games. I was dumb enough to buy Project Cars on PS4 only to be teased the entire time playing it about how fun it would be to play with a real racing wheel. I started to look into the situation and then had a gut reaction about future proofing the purchase that eventually made me back out. What a shitty situation all around. I wish I could say I'm in the same boat as you, OP, just so you could share the pain. You have every right to be more than pissed about this.

*Edit* I booted up that video posted about using a homemade USB adaptor and clicked out of it shaking my head less than a minute in. What complete horseshit that the end user who put down a premium on a product has to go out and make their own electronic equipment from scratch in order to get something to work a mere few years later.

Glix

Thanks for all the support guys. I was pretty sure all responses were going to be "You bought a PS3 wheel and it works on PS3 STFU"

terrible

Banned
Yeah the wheel situation on consoles is pretty ridiculous. Both Sony and Microsoft should've put way more effort into making sure last gen wheels would work with their new consoles.

I 100% expect my T300 and TX to not work on next gen consoles after the mess that is this gen. I'll just stick to PC sims at that point probably.

Karak

Wait what? I have a XIM4 and last I checked due to the way it interposed data steering wheels were a no go completely. Has that changed since the last forum thread there?

Yeah the wheel situation on consoles is pretty ridiculous. Both Sony and Microsoft should've put way more effort into making sure last gen wheels would work with their new consoles.

I 100% expect my T300 and TX to not work on next gen consoles after the mess that is this gen. I'll just stick to PC sims at that point probably.

Yes it is. Consider me pissed when I decided to ignore the possible issues with the Xbox One and the TX wheel and Forza 6. I thought...no way it will happen to me. Get the wheel and within a day or so the damn thing jerks all the way to one side and its unrecoverable unless you do some random steps. Forza peeps know and so do the TX folks but its been there randomly for folks since day one. Wheels just are no where near straight forward as they have been

If you want to know, there's 99% probability that the problem lies on Sony's side. They literally made PS4 deliberately ignore DS3s, and then threw in crypto into DS4s, the same way MS did on both 360 and XB1.

Then again, from a certain point of view the whole console business model is currently based on doing the same thing with games, don't you think?

Glix

If you want to know, there's 99% probability that the problem lies on Sony's side. They literally made PS4 deliberately ignore DS3s, and then threw in crypto into DS4s, the same way MS did on both 360 and XB1.

Then again, from a certain point of view the whole console business model is currently based on doing the same thing with games, don't you think?

Let us not forget how they "accidentally" revised the DS4 and now all apple specific headphones with mics are borked (the headphones will work/mic wont).

Salty as hell

Just send me a PM if you need help with Linux on the pi OP. I have quite a bit of experience there.

Let us not forget how they "accidentally" revised the DS4 and now all apple specific headphones with mics are borked (the headphones will work/mic wont).

Salty as hell
The accident was then working be in the first place. Since Apple(as usual) didn't follow industry standards when designing their headset connector, them working meant standard headsets were kinda finicky to get to work.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Wasn't there a fix released last year where you run an app on your pc with the wheel plugged in and out flashes the bios or something? Then you just unplugged the wheel and put it on your PS4 and it worked perfectly? I camt remember where I saw it now but apparently easy to do.

Zafir

I've got the problem with the other way around. I have a PS4 wheel but can't use it on Xbox One for Forza 6/Horizon. Well I can use it, but no force feedback, which kind of sucks.

Glix

Just send me a PM if you need help with Linux on the pi OP. I have quite a bit of experience there.

The accident was then working be in the first place. Since Apple(as usual) didn't follow industry standards when designing their headset connector, them working meant standard headsets were kinda finicky to get to work.

While that makes sense...

How come both apple and non apple headsets work on android with no problem? Even tho im salty its actually a serious question not just a gotcha

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Im surprised no one is selling a pre-made adapter that's ready to go out the box using the GIMX method. I'm sure many people would buy one. If not, Jefferson is coming out with the Titan Two very soon and in the near future it's going to have proper ffb wheel support for at least the PS4.

Top Bottom