• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I canceled my next-gen console pre-order. Launch titles do not hype me

DR2K

Banned
I'll probably just sell mine for profit if no decent launch titles are available. Launch seems very dudebro heavy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've debated it, but eh...my system's already paid off so might as well go for it. Besides, I'm sure I'm going to want a PS4 the moment I see Killzone and Battlefield 4 in person.

I'm waiting too. The PS3 will continue going strong and so far the only things announced for the PS4 so far that make me need one are FFXV, KH3 and Deep Down. I've been a Sony diehard for the last 2 gens but right now the WiiU is looking better. Bayo 2, X, MonHun 3, Wonderful 101, Mario U, Mario 3D World and the likely inevitable Animal Crossing U. I got a PS3 right after launch and frankly it wasn't really worth it until a full year later when Uncharted 1 hit. I'm not obsessed about upgrading hardware, the reason I buy new consoles is that they stop making games for the old ones.

I will be getting a PS4, just not until at least one absolute must-have game arrives.

Some surprise launch games might pop up and you just gave up your preorder. I can wait until a day before release and cancel my order on Amazon with no hassle and not a dime has left my pocket.

rockx4

I'm going to hold onto my preorder for now, it's always possible to cancel at the last possible moment if there's still no launch games announced that interest you. Currently there are no exclusives that really interest me but I'm going to wait and see.

Thinking back though I think I've felt regret on every single console launch purchase I've made. I don't think I've ever been so wowed by any launch game or felt it was better than a previous console release. Then there's the inevitable drought post launch and the waiting period, but it happens every time. Mario 64 was pretty amazing but that was a console launch my parents paid for. Every interesting game so far is crossgen or also on PC.

Deadstar

To me, part of the fun is getting bad launch games. What would Xbox have been without Perfect Dark Zero? Launch day jank is a treat I only get to enjoy every 5-7 years.

ymmv

Banned
I can totally see why people would wait, just about all the big games are also releasing on PS3/360, the Destiny/TitanFall/Watchdog/MGSV/ect. plus GTA5. We even know Fallout is getting a current gen version. They can wait until a pricedrop or two. understandable.

What's the point in waiting two, three years so you can buy a PS4 for $300 instead of $400? Are you so poor that saving hundred bucks is worth waiting years for?

I've got a job, I've saved money. I can pick up a PS4 with a couple of games without having to check my bank account first. Plus I really want one. I got my PS3 at launch too, I'm ready for something new. A new console is something that will entertain me for for six, seven years. It's a better deal than a smartphone that's outdated within a year.

I could see the point of waiting for a price drop in the case of the Wii U. I'm only moderately interested but a price drop could influence to pick one up if the price is right. But the PS4 is something I want. Saving $100 will not entice me to wait a couple of years when I can easily afford it.

I like the launch titles coming in. Also i've been ready for this new gen for 2-3 years now, i'm ready for a fresh start. Happy to be a day 1.

You're learning, OP. I stopped getting "hyped" for shit a while back and learned to avoid leaping head-first with handfuls of cash anytime the new hotness came along. You save shitloads of money, enjoy what you buy more, and don't get caught up in a whirlwind of impossible expectations followed by denial followed by acceptance followed by anger.
feelsgood.jpg

You're learning, OP. I stopped getting "hyped" for shit a while back and learned to avoid leaping head-first with handfuls of cash anytime the new hotness came along. You save shitloads of money, enjoy what you buy more, and don't get caught up in a whirlwind of impossible expectations followed by denial followed by acceptance followed by anger.
feelsgood.jpg

Or you could learn all that from experience and still buy the system at launch.

TreIII

I'm waiting too. The PS3 will continue going strong and so far the only things announced for the PS4 so far that make me need one are FFXV, KH3 and Deep Down. I've been a Sony diehard for the last 2 gens but right now the WiiU is looking better. Bayo 2, X, MonHun 3, Wonderful 101, Mario U, Mario 3D World and the likely inevitable Animal Crossing U. I got a PS3 right after launch and frankly it wasn't really worth it until a full year later when Uncharted 1 hit. I'm not obsessed about upgrading hardware, the reason I buy new consoles is that they stop making games for the old ones.

I will be getting a PS4, just not until at least one absolute must-have game arrives.

^ This.

Furthermore, the greater portion of the Japanese development I care about will likely be sticking with the PS3 for several more years. (See: Tales' director stating that the series will stay on the PS3.) I see no reason to upgrade as long as these guys keep supporting platforms I already have.

The only thing that could really get me to buy a PS4 sooner rather than later is if Arc really surprises me and makes GGXrd a next-gen exclusive. But seeing how the majority of their audience is Japanese (and Japanese console owners tend to be slower to buy next-gen hardware than their western counterparts), I don't see them abandoning the PS3 any faster than they did with the PS2 during the PS3's era.

Yeah, can't say that I am too impressed with what I have seen from the launch titles. Will probably wait a bit and enjoy what else is coming for PS3, and get a PS4 later on down the line when things have settled in. I think the only reason I would want one is to have that shiny new toy on the market. But I think it's better I wait until there are some games that I want. For some reason I find myself not caring as much about graphics lately as I used to. The leap just doesn't seem as tempting right now for me.

I've considered this stance, but Im too impatient to not get one of the systems. I was hardcore PS4 but after the DRM reversal I pre-ordered a One as well. A new console will be in my living room by the holidays a can't stand to sit by and watch others enjoy the fun

Nags

Banned
Reading this thread is just making me more hyped. That first week of insanity when they arrive is going to be great.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Definitely the smart move. Once I get a hint of next gen logic goes out the window for me. So I'll be there day one. Hopefully Infamous and Destiny don't make me wait too long.

Kacho

Yeah, I did the same. None of the launch titles do much for me. I'll just pick up a PS4 or Xbox when more appealing games come out.

MercuryLS

Banned
There's nothing at launch for both consoles that jump out at me as must haves, some good games for sure, but nothing that is a system seller.

That said, I'm sure there will be some great stuff in 2014 (like Infamous), so I don't mind jumping in at launch. I'm ready to move on from this gen after GTAV. The thing that's pushing me to upgrade the most is actually the DualShock 4, I really don't like the DS3 and can't wait to start gaming with something way better than that mediocre controller.

you've sold me a ps3 and a great reason why waiting for a full library makes sense there.

You're not getting that quality until a console has a library to support it.
Well you won't get all those games if you're just starting out with PS+. That's the point. A lot of Gaffers regret missing out on all those games for a measly $50. Obviously, PS4 offerings won't be as extensive at first. But even if it was only 1 game a month, that's 12 PS4 games in 1 year for only $50. Why wait a year if one already knows they want the system? It's not gonna get a price drop that soon, and they'd just be missing all the PS+ titles until then. I guess one could subscribe to PS+ and add the games to their collection and get the system later. But again, what's the point in waiting in that case?

hatchx

Banned
I'm in the same boat as the OP I guess, the ps4 looks and sounds sexy and I have nothing but faith in Sony and their developers, but goddamn killzone and infamous? The two most lukewarm 1st party franchises Sony has IMO.

Ill probably jump on in the spring/summer 2014.

Josh7289

I'm pretty much a full-on PC and occasional Nintendo gamer now, so yeah. Not enough time for anything else, so I've narrowed it down to what I like best overall.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
not if you factor in the $50 a year to play online

Those $50 actually include free games aside from the ability of playing online.

Also, some F2P games like PlanetScape 2 actually are completely free to play.

The only way you "save" money is if you wait for the price drop which will be likely at least two years after launch. In the meantime you miss out on two years of usage.

I don't miss out on anything, though. Barring Demon Souls 2 being real, I'm quite content to sit back and wait for a superb catalogue to pile up before diving in, and there sure ain't gonna be one when the consoles launch. I've already got a ridiculous backlog at the moment.Once you manage to get rid of that itch to play something the moment it releases you find yourself getting more out of your gaming. I have, anyways.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Good for you, owning consoles at launch time is a pain after the hype has cooled down after a few weeks time. And I agree that the launch games are not commanding so far

I think I may have to drop my PS4 pre order. I can only afford one, and I am a MS die hard. Its just too much.

Ill eventually get a PS4, but I don't think I can do both at launch.

I don't miss out on anything, though. Barring Demon Souls 2 being real, I'm quite content to sit back and wait for a superb catalogue to pile up before diving in, and there sure ain't gonna be one when the consoles launch. I've already got a ridiculous backlog at the moment.Once you manage to get rid of that itch to play something the moment it releases you find yourself getting more out of your gaming. I have, anyways.

You don't even have to play the game upon release; you can wait for a sale or even price drop. Price drops happen within a short time frame these days. You still miss out on two years of usage which is like 13 cents a day. The ridiculous backlog should make it even easier to not blow money on random titles just because too.

Takuan

Launch titles don't look particularly exciting to me either, but I'm not canceling my pre-order. Chances are some fanatic is interested in a handful of those titles and will be willing to pay a decent premium on day one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm buying at launch partly for that new console smell. And while launch titles might be ropey, and there might be a post-launch drought, it looks like Multiplatform titles are moving over very quickly, so the transition from PS3-PS4 in my case should be fairly fast.

Top Bottom