• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I chatted with Ken from XSEED. Nothing big, but something I'd like to share.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
That's really, really bad news about Shiren 2/3. I want those sooo badly, I was (and am) addicted to Shiren, I'd kill for the sequels. Kudos to XSEED, though, I buy most all their games and it's wonderful that they are so open about what they do. Keep up the good work, guys/gals.

kenji said:
what about

Soma Bringer (Nintendo, DS)

?

Already asked, and they said that while it MIGHT be possible if they had the right contacts, but they have their doubts and will not be pursuing their games in the near future.

Here's their reply to that and other Nintendo games in general:

Sony and Nintendo are very different beasts, especially when it comes to how closely their various branches work together internationally. We have a great established relationship with Sony Japan, but perhaps with the right contacts at Nintendo we would have a chance at localizing some of their products too (though I still have my doubts). We will not be pursuing any Nintendo first-party products in the near future.

Zihark

Atelier Annie/GUST/NDS
War Hero Laevitin/Gungho-I think its the same publisher as Ragnarok Online for the ds/NDS
A.S.H./NCL/NDS-maybe they'll know if NOA is ever gonna release it.
Captain Rainbow/NCL/WII spill the beans-XSEED:)
7th Dragon/SEGA/NDS

Macstorm

This thread just reaffirms how awesome XSEED is. Having met Ken, Jimmy, and the rest of the XSEED crew a couple times now, it doesn't surprise me. It's just still awesome to see that their love for the community is so strong that they'll even constantly reply to all fan emails.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hero of Legend said:
Name of game (Publisher, Platform)

As I've done above with the games I put into my emails, it makes things so much easier! :)
Sakura Taisen: Atsuki Chishio Ni (Sega, PS2)

New reply! No big confirmations this time though.

I'll try to address what I can below:

428 (Sega, Wii)
- Saw the great Famitsu review, but not sure a live Japanese sound novel-type of game could work in the US.

Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness (Square Enix, DS)
- I personally would love to see this title brought over as I love SRPGs in general and especially the Front Mission series, but we will not be able to license Square Enix titles for the US.

Nanashi no Game (Square Enix, DS)
- Another seemlingly great game, but same situation as above.

Misa Yamamura Suspense: Kyoto Murder Files (Tecmo, DS)
Nishimura Kyotaro Suspense Shin Tantei Series: Kyoto Atami Zekkai no Kotou - Satsui no Wana (Tecmo, DS)
Nishimura Kyotaro Suspense 2 Shin Tantei Series: Kanezawa Kankan Gokkan no Kyoukoku Fukushuu no Kage (Tecmo, DS)
- Hadn't heard of these titles before so will have to find out more information on them, but we likely won't pursue adventure games on the DS.
Princess Maker 5 (Gainax, PSP)
- Not sure this would fit in with the rest of our product lineup.

RIZ-ZOWAD (D3, DS)
- This game looks great, we would love to work on it if we had the opportunity.

Summon Night 1 & 2 (Bandai Namco/Banpresto, DS)
- Though this is a solid series, if we were to ever work on the series I think we would prefer a more recent title.

Destiny Links (Bandai, DS)
- Hadn't heard of this game before, will look into it.

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (Bandai Namco/Banpresto, DS)
- Great series, but probably tough to bring over for us due to all the various mecha licenses used in the game. Also not sure we could gather enough interest at retail as stores are hesitant to carry games based on anime unless it's something popular on US TV such as Dragonball Z or Naruto.

Boerseun

Banned
Shahadan said:
Not in Europe !
We're still waiting for it.

Especially sad considering BKO is the best JRPG of last gen.

I considered waiting for a PAL version, but decided to import instead, and now I'm glad I did.

Any word on Kumatachi?

080818_4.gif

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Summon Night 1 & 2 (Bandai Namco/Banpresto, DS)
- Though this is a solid series, if we were to ever work on the series I think we would prefer a more recent title.

They should try to get their hand on the lately announced Summon Night X, which looks pretty awesome for a ds game :D

cw_sasuke said:
They should try to get their hand on the lately announced Summon Night X, which looks pretty awesome for a ds game :D

With any luck, Atlus might bring it over as they brought over Twin Age.

But XSEED owns, especially on the Wii thanks to their lucky partnership with MMV USA...

Remember Ken said that XSEED and MMV USA are in the SAME FUCKING BUILDING?:lol :lol :lol

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (Bandai Namco/Banpresto, DS)
- Great series, but probably tough to bring over for us due to all the various mecha licenses used in the game. Also not sure we could gather enough interest at retail as stores are hesitant to carry games based on anime unless it's something popular on US TV such as Dragonball Z or Naruto.

Wait wait wait... there are no actual anime characters in this game. Sure the original series does have anime/manga licensed characters, but this game doesn't.

duckroll

Golden Darkness said:
Wait wait wait... there are no actual anime characters in this game. Sure the original series does have anime/manga licensed characters, but this game doesn't.

It does have 5 characters in it owned by Namco though (KOS-MOS, T-Elos, and the 3 characters from Namco x Capcom), so unless Namco's policy has changed (which it hasn't), there's pretty much no chance of anyone else getting the game.

basik

ask them about One Piece Unlimited Cruise (Wii)... I havent heard anything about namco/bandai localizing it.

Abel

Like duckroll said, Namco Bandai owns the IP and they don't usually (more like never) let other publishers touch their IPs.

Not to mention Namco Bandai already filed the trademark for "Endless Frontier" in the US, so they will most likely be the ones doing it, if at all :)

akakaze

Banned
I wonder if Konami/Cave would license XSEED some of the shmups that were released for the 360 in Japan. Bashcraft's posting on Kotaku about the 360 SHMUP Fest going on in Japan right now really called my attention to how few of these games actually make it over here...

And how many of them (ALL *sigh*) are region locked.

And how easy it would be to localize them.

I'd love to see a US version of Otomedius G, as campy as it is...it's not a bad shooter.

Same with Raiden Fighters Aces, though that probably wouldn't fly as a non-XBLA title. Definitely not full-disc price.

Teknoman

Golden Darkness said:

EDIT: Nevermind. This was the RPG that was nothing like the other OG. Carry on.

TunaLover

So, I send a mail to XSEED wondering if they could have somekind of information with FF4 publishing status.

Hi Sebastian,

Ken here. As you know, it's always difficult to comment on anything that hasn't been officially announced yet, so hopefully you and everyone else on the boards knows that this is just me shooting the breeze, nothing official. I just have to believe that Fatal Frame 4 is coming to the US somehow, don't know by whom or when, but everything points to that game eventually coming to North America.

Thanks for your support, and I'll always try to answer as much as I can (without getting in trouble, of course, which I've already been borderline before).

Ken @ XSEED Games

Ken was nice enough to answer a mail that doesn't even have to do with XSEED at all, everyone knows how complicated the NDAs are, I really apreciate Ken's love for gaming comunity.

I send an email to NoA too, no response yet...

LordGek

Diseased Yak said:
That's really, really bad news about Shiren 2/3. I want those sooo badly, I was (and am) addicted to Shiren, I'd kill for the sequels. Kudos to XSEED, though, I buy most all their games and it's wonderful that they are so open about what they do. Keep up the good work, guys/gals.

The cheesiest part of all this, now having at least completed the main stories of both 2 and 3 (which is weird since, at least as far as compatibility bonus nonsense goes, you'd need to play Shiren 3 Wii to unlock content in Shiren DS 2, not the other way around) is that they were both made to be a LOT more accessible than the first Shiren! The biggest fault attributed to the Shiren games therefore had been GREATLY mitigated WHILE AT THE SAME TIME they still have incredibly challenging post story stuff for those hardcore old schoolers that want a challenge.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
LordGek said:
The cheesiest part of all this, now having at least completed the main stories of both 2 and 3 (which is weird since, at least as far as compatibility bonus nonsense goes, you'd need to play Shiren 3 Wii to unlock content in Shiren DS 2, not the other way around) is that they were both made to be a LOT more accessible than the first Shiren! The biggest fault attributed to the Shiren games therefore had been GREATLY mitigated WHILE AT THE SAME TIME they still have incredibly challenging post story stuff for those hardcore old schoolers that want a challenge.

That makes it even worse after reading that. Sheesh. Ahh well, I guess there's really nothing to be done about it. Such niche games just don't make it over usually. I would import both but not knowing any Japanese, I'd just flounder around and not get anything out of 'em.

Instead, I'm forced to play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon :|

jesusraz

HoL, if you're still flinging requests at XSEED, perhaps add Blazer Drive (NDS, SEGA) to the list. Quite a decent little RPG, but it bombed in Japan... :)

Hive

Banned
jesusraz said:
HoL, if you're still flinging requests at XSEED, perhaps add Blazer Drive (NDS, SEGA) to the list. Quite a decent little RPG, but it bombed in Japan... :)

<3

Oh, and both of you should keep poking at publishers to bring over the Nishimura Suspense series of games to DS. ^^

I need those!

jesusraz

Been trying, off the record. Sadly nobody's taking the bait. Aksys, Atlus, 505 Games in Europe, and now XSEED. I've been advised to try talking to Tecmo's US office itself since the only excuse given by them so far is 'Kyotaro Nishimura isn't famous in the US', which is a lame reason, since why should it matter? Sure, it was a selling point in Japan, but he's represented by a little chibi-representation in the game, so Westerners would just presume he's fictitious, like Jake Hunter, Phoenix Wright or whatever.

Oh, by the way, XSEED will consider looking into more text adventures if Flower, Sun and Rain does well in the US...

Alright then, I finally got around to sent another e-mail. I just sent it, but I wanted you all to know that it's been sent and to obviously expect a reply within a day or two! :)

Here are the games I put in:

Blazer Drive (Sega, DS)

Deathsmiles (Cave, 360)

Otomedius G (Konami. 360)

Raiden Fighters Aces (Success Corp, 360)

One Piece Unlimited Cruise Episode 1 and 2 (Bandai Namco, Wii)

Kumatachi (Vanillaware/Dimple, DS)

Atelier Annie (GUST, DS)

War Hero Laevitin (GungHo, DS)

A.S.H. (Nintendo, DS)

Captain Rainbow (Nintendo, Wii)

7th Dragon (Sega, DS)

Venus & Braves (Namco, PS2) (Someone also wants an online mode added, but I'm sure you'll have to take that up with BN)

Dungeons & Dam (Acquire, DS)

Wagyan Land (Bandai Namco, DS)

There! :)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Well that was a rather pointless request. There's no way xseed will be able to navigate through the licensing problems let alone Namco' stubborness

grandjedi6 said:
Well that was a rather pointless request. There's no way xseed will be able to navigate through the licensing problems let alone Namco' stubborness

Someone suggested it, so I added it in anyway. :p

Hero of Legend, is it possible for anyone to e-mail the guys at Xseed, or will they only respond to you?

I have a game I desperately want someone to look at. I'm talking about Uncharted Waters 4 for the DS. Koei are total bastards and won't localize anything but their ghastly Dynasty garbage and crap out non-PUK version of Romance Of The 3 Kingdoms. It's been over 10 years since Uncharted Waters New Horizon on the SNES and I'm dying for another.

If anyone can e-mail them, I would like to do it since I can better explain why I think Uncharted Waters is awesome. If not, can you ask for me? I'll write up a short but sweet detailed description of the game to show how vast and amazing it is.

Boerseun

Banned
basik said:
ask them about One Piece Unlimited Cruise (Wii)... I havent heard anything about namco/bandai localizing it.

+1

grandjedi6 said:

The previous One Piece title on Wii, Unlimited Adventure, was indeed localised for Western audiences, and a rather good game it is too.

Hive

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
Hero of Legend, is it possible for anyone to e-mail the guys at Xseed, or will they only respond to you?

I have a game I desperately want someone to look at. I'm talking about Uncharted Waters 4 for the DS. Koei are total bastards and won't localize anything but their ghastly Dynasty garbage and crap out non-PUK version of Romance Of The 3 Kingdoms. It's been over 10 years since Uncharted Waters New Horizon on the SNES and I'm dying for another.

If anyone can e-mail them, I would like to do it since I can better explain why I think Uncharted Waters is awesome. If not, can you ask for me? I'll write up a short but sweet detailed description of the game to show how vast and amazing it is.

awesome choice! Was just talking about this with Zoku not long ago~

TunaLover

Cow Mengde said:

Ken was nice enough to respond my mail in 2 days, concerning to Fatal Frame 4. They will though, just make sure mention them this thread.

Thank you! I will e-mail him soon!

Edit - Wait, I can just get in contact with them from the e-mail on their official site, or do I need to get his personal e-mail?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Boerseun said:
+1

The previous One Piece title on Wii, Unlimited Adventure, was indeed localised for Western audiences, and a rather good game it is too.

Bandai has the license to make One Piece games though. To get One Piece over here xseed would have to fight through licensing issues with Bandai, Shonen jump, Toei and Funimation. That plus the fact that Unlimited Adventures apparently sold poorly makes me doubt xseed would even spend a passing glance at it.

I wouldn't call Unlimited Adventure good either. Pretty mediocre imo.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hero of Legend said:
Alright then, I finally got around to sent another e-mail. I just sent it, but I wanted you all to know that it's been sent and to obviously expect a reply within a day or two! :)
Any word back yet?

XiaNaphryz said:
Any word back yet?

No not yet!

Either they're not back yet, or they might've sent the reply to my now defunct e-mail account that I was previously using.

I told then right at the get-go that I'm using my hotmail account temporaily until I get a new Windows account set up on my brand new PC. Of course, my now defunct account was my previous Rogers account on my old PC.

I just hope they didn't accidentally reply to the old one out of habit!

I doubt it, maybe they're on one long-ass potty break! j/k :lol

Hopefully I'll get it today or tomorrow, as if not, then we'll have to wait until Monday after that! :(

Reply!

We all had a great relaxing break here, thanks for asking. Still trying to catch up on everything, but let me try to address what I can of your questions:

1. Is Little King's Story indeed releasing on January 6th in Canada?! My local Best Buy had the game on that date on their release schedule board in front of the store! Strange! o_O I was under the impression it was coming out on Feb 17th.

No, Little King's Story is not releasing on January 6th. We were shooting for a February release date, but good chance that it will be delayed past that right now.

2. How goes the localizations on your Wii games and such? Run into any problems? Hope everything is going smoothly!

Localization is going well on most everything we're working on, Retro Game Challenge is done and will ship in February, Avalon Code and Rune Factory: Frontier are both wrapping up now so shouldn't be too long after Retro Game when they come out.

3. Is it possible at this stage to say what the framerates of each of your's and MMV's Wii games? Are all games going to have silky smooth framerates? Is XSEED able to smoothen any framerate problems if there are any?

Of what we've seen, all the MMV titles are moving at a smooth framerate so no concerns at this point.

Now onto the suggestions:

Blazer Drive (Sega, DS)
Looks like it's a solid game, but anime/manga-based titles not based on properties with already a huge following on TV tend to struggle at retail here. Couple that will an abundance of DS titles in the market and it would have a hard time standing out in the crowd.

Deathsmiles (Cave, 360)
We love old school shooters, but we could only do this as a downloadable since the risk as a packaged product at retail would be too high.

Otomedius G (Konami. 360)
We cannot license any games from Konami.

Raiden Fighters Aces (Success Corp, 360)
Same situation as Deathsmiles.

We will not pursue any One Piece titles.

Kumatachi (Vanillaware/Dimple, DS)
Had never heard of this title before, but we're huge fans of Vanillaware so we'll keep an eye on it.

We've looked into this series before but will not be pursuing it anytime soon. There's been various rumors for a while, hopefully someone else can bring it over soon as I would like to see it finally released in the US.

Atelier Annie (GUST, DS)
I believe Gust already has some established US publishing partners so we will not pursue any of their titles.

War Hero Laevitin (GungHo, DS)
If you're talking about Hero's Saga Laevatein then I think this one may be coming to the US even if not by us.

A.S.H. (Nintendo, DS)
We will not pursue Nintendo first-party titles.

Captain Rainbow (Nintendo, Wii)
We will not pursue Nintendo first-party titles.

7th Dragon (Sega, DS)
Looks like a solid RPG, I'd be surprised if they didn't bring it over themselves. We'll keep our eye on it.

Venus & Braves (Namco, PS2) (Someone also wants an online mode added, but I'm sure you'll have to take that up with BN)
A shame this title never made it over back in the day, but it would be extremely difficult for us to try to license it now years after the fact. Afraid that we have to concentrate on newer releases for now.

Dungeons & Dam (Acquire, DS)
Think this one may be coming to the US even if not by us.

Wagyan Land (Bandai Namco, DS)
Wasn't familiar with this title, but would be difficult to have it stand out in a sea of new DS releases in the market.

Think that covers everything. As always, these are just my personal thoughts and opinions so take them for what you will.

Top Bottom