• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I decided to start watching Hockey, what do I need to know?

I am moving to Canada. I haven’t watched sports much. I understand the rules in the various sports, aware of the leagues and teams. Just never really got into watching.

But I am gonna take advantage of the land I am moving to. Gravy on fries, maple syrup, and even hockey.

I decided to be a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. I like the team colors
whatever fuck you

Any experienced Hockey fans here. Other than the basic rules, what do I need to know in order to enjoy watching a game.

Amory

When your team has more players than the other team, that is known as "powerful play" since you're more powerful than the opponent

When a man scores 3 goals, he is said to be turning tricks, and you then throw your hat at him

That's about all I know. I myself am a pittsburgh penguins fan, as I only follow the original six

Mista

Banned
reported.
sarcastic harriet the spy GIF

When your team has more players than the other team, that is known as "powerful play" since you're more powerful than the opponent

When a man scores 3 goals, he is said to be turning tricks, and you then throw your hat at him

That's about all I know. I myself am a pittsburgh penguins fan, as I only follow the original six
Animated GIF

What you need to know is: There’s plenty other sports that are better than this snoozefest

I don’t know shit about it. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge enlightens you

Watch the NBA :messenger_unamused:
Basketball has too much scoring points for me to invest in anything other than the last minute or two.
Welcome to Leafs Nation!

I'll write back more about hockey tonight after work..... basic shit to look for, teams, players etc...

Hell, I'll even give some pointers on Canada as it seems like the first time living here.
Sweet thank you

Turn off motion smoothing on your tv if you have it. Makes it impossible to watch with it on imo.
Noted

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Animated GIF

Basketball has too much scoring points for me to invest in anything other than the last minute or two.

Sweet thank you

Noted

I will say going to a Hockey game is one the biggest differences from TV to in person I have ever experienced. It really changed my perspective of just how fast and brutal the sport can be. If you have the chance given world status permitted, go to a live game.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I am moving to Canada. I haven’t watched sports much. I understand the rules in the various sports, aware of the leagues and teams. Just never really got into watching.

But I am gonna take advantage of the land I am moving to. Gravy on fries, maple syrup, and even hockey.

whatever fuck you

Any experienced Hockey fans here. Other than the basic rules, what do I need to know in order to enjoy watching a game.
well theres your first mistake

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

whatever fuck you

Yell "shoot it" every 5.2 seconds when your team is on the power play.

That's the only thing I know about hockey growing up in Buffalo.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
You want to watch a team grind and use the forecheck properly Watch Clagary
You want to watch a great top 6 with elite scorers (when healthy) Watch Winnipeg
You want to see one of the fastest and most innovative players in the league watch Edmonton
You want to see what a rebuilding process looks like and have no hope Watch Ottawa
You want to see a top 6 that play for themselves and are soft Watch Toronto
You want to watch games in French? Nor do I skip Montreal
Vancouver........got nothing

However due to covid and Canadian teams being the North Division you'll get to see all of them in action.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
The Wild had a hell of a win against the Kings in OT last night. I’m all in on The Wild this year. Got some good new young talent.

Hockey is fun to watch IMO. Fast paced with big hits yet has a very technical aspect of setting up plays and high level passing.

I know that sometimes the players beat each other up, which is quite fun.
It was a factor in me deciding to watch definitely

The Wild had a hell of a win against the Kings in OT last night. I’m all in on The Wild this year. Got some good new young talent.

Hockey is fun to watch IMO. Fast paced with big hits yet has a very technical aspect of setting up plays and high level passing.
So I should get the hockey package on tv?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Also...if you're adopting a team with zero regards to location, you could do far worse than the Toronto Maple Leafs.

They have a rich history and one of the best fanbases in the entire league.

I went to a few Buffalo Sabres home games and the arena is 70 percent Leafs fans. Toronto is nuts for hockey.

They also seem to have a lot of talented young players too. It's always fun watching players and teams grow into elite status.

TrainedRage

Banned
It was a factor in me deciding to watch definitely

So I should get the hockey package on tv?
It depends on if you can get and enjoy watching your local team. Most of mine are on Fox Sports North and the bigger games are on basic or broadcast. I would try watching a few games before you jump on a big package.

If you really do enjoy it then yeah having an app or dedicated channel is the easiest way probably.

Also...if you're adopting a team with zero regards to location, you could do far worse than the Toronto Maple Leafs.

They have a rich history and one of the best fanbases in the entire league.

I went to a few Buffalo Sabres home games and the arena is 70 percent Leafs fans. Toronto is nuts for hockey.

They also seem to have a lot of talented young players too. It's always fun watching players and teams grow into elite status.
Us Buffalo fans gladly sell you our tickets for Leafs games because they massively subsidize our season tickets, lol.

cryptoadam

Banned
Google says they haven’t won since 93...

Its still 1994 for me!

Way to rub it in, check when the last time your Leafs won a cup. (LOL)

Ya ever since they traded Patrick Roy its been downhill. If you follow baseball its kind of like the curse of the bambino.

But still, Habs are the best, everyone else sucks, especially Boston, Toronto and Ottawa.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Soapy,

I got time now as something I had to do was 10x quicker than I thought.

Toronto Make Me Laffs
- Leafs are the biggest market and richest team by far with insane ticket prices and loyal following even though we have won dick shit since 1967. Since then, not even a finals appearance. Just a hand full of semi finals
- The team now is underachieving and has stacked forwards (4 guys who eat up half the salary cap), always suspect defence and a streaky goalie who always lets in a bad goal at the wrong time. They are predicted to go far but always lose in the first round (last year they couldn't even past the qualifying round which means they actually missed)
- What you get are exciting games with lots of scoring and sktechy play. Not surprisingly, the opening game was 5-4 which for hockey is a high scoring game. Most teams score about 3 goals per game, so anytime you see 5 goals that's high
- The teams core skaters are all scorers with defence as probably 6th on their priority list. Even the key d-man Rielly is the same
- Auston Matthews - young and one of the top players in the league
- John Tavares - veteran player who backstabbed the Islanders a few years ago who he was captain for 10 years. Slow but always gets 1 pt per game
- Mitch Marner - young and skilled like Matthews but more of a passer
- Willy Nylander - redeemed himself last year after being a hold out asshole. young and skilled like above
- Freddy Anderson - hot and cold goalie. Kind of stuck on a team with shit defence so sometimes he can't help it. If he played on a stud defence team he'd get all-star numbers

Rules
- You said you know the basics, but just in case here's some key rules
- Cause a minor infraction = 2 minute penalty. Other team goes on a man advantage. Semi-serious = 4 minute double minor. Fights and major penalties are 5 min. Non-fight majors I think you kicked out of the game
- Minors are tripping, slashing, hooking etc.... 4 min are these kinds of penalties but more serious and draw blood. Majors are kick ass penalties like going high speed and driving a guy's head into the board from behind trying to make him a quadriplegic
- A team can pull their goalie and get another skater on. Teams do this when they are losing late in the game or about to go on a power play and get a 6th skater on hoping to score before the penalty gets called by the ref. The ref will motion for a penalty call but he won't blow the whistle until the team who is at fault gets control of the puck back
- OT is 3 on 3. No scoring and it goes to a shoot out

Format
- Covid really fucked up the league. It's usually 82 games and 4 divisions on geography. This year it's 56 games and 4 divisions based on geography and borders, and teams only play teams in their own division so it's wacky where each team plays the same team around 8 times. The standout division is an All Canadian team one
- Each division has a corporate sponsor this year which is ridiculous, but guess they need money
- And the schedule is more like baseball where teams now play each other in 2-3 game sets at the same arena. Weird. The schedule is normally like basketball of travelling to other cities, home and occasional back to back games. Now it's back to back almost every week
- Top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs. The old way was I think 4 divisions and the top 3 make it and the last two are the next two best teams (wildcard)

Teams
- The All Canadian division (North) is competitive but not the best one. I'd say the East is the best overall. West and Central have maybe 3 standout teams each and that's it
- Best team in the league is TB who won the cup. Colorado and Vegas are other teams expected to go far
- You'll probably hear a lot of Crosby and Ovechkin. Two Hall of Fame players getting old but still good. Crosby (Pittsburgh) is an aging team and might not even make the playoffs this year. Ovechkin (Washington) scores a lot and is consistently good. But aside from that one cup win in 2018, they always flame out fast in the playoffs. They been a good team for over 10 years and most of the time lose in the first or second round even to shit teams that barely made the playoffs. The team has never been built for playoffs but for flashy regular season offence that kills weak teams

Players on other teams
- The tandem of McDavid and Draisaitl on Edmonton is easily the best duo in the league. The rest of their team is terrible that's why they don't even make the playoffs half the time. But these two guys (which you'll see a lot on west coast late games on TV) are good enough to win games by themselves
- McDavid is the best player in the league. After that, MacKinnon on Colorado. Probably Draisaitl third. After that all the top players kind of blend together. Auston Matthews is a top 10 player

Last edited:
Its still 1994 for me!

Way to rub it in, check when the last time your Leafs won a cup. (LOL)

Ya ever since they traded Patrick Roy its been downhill. If you follow baseball its kind of like the curse of the bambino.

But still, Habs are the best, everyone else sucks, especially Boston, Toronto and Ottawa.
Looks like my Leafs beat your Hubs? The other day 🤷‍♂️

Soapy,

I got time now as something I had to do was 10x quicker than I thought.

Toronto Make Me Laffs
- Leafs are the biggest market and richest team by far with insane ticket prices and loyal following even though we have won dick shit since 1967. Since then, not even a finals appearance. Just a hand full of semi finals
- The team now is underachieving and has stacked forwards (4 guys who eat up half the salary cap), always suspect defence and a streaky goalie who always lets in a bad goal at the wrong time. They are predicted to go far but always lose in the first round (last year they couldn't even past the qualifying round which means they actually missed)
- What you get are exciting games with lots of scoring and sktechy play. Not surprisingly, the opening game was 5-4 which for hockey is a high scoring game. Most teams score about 3 goals per game, so anytime you see 5 goals that's high
- The teams core skaters are all scorers with defence as probably 6th on their priority list. Even the key d-man Rielly is the same
- Auston Matthews - young and one of the top players in the league
- John Tavares - veteran player who backstabbed the Islanders a few years ago who he was captain for 10 years. Slow but always gets 1 pt per game
- Mitch Marner - young and skilled like Matthews but more of a passer
- Willy Nylander - redeemed himself last year after being a hold out asshole. young and skilled like above
- Freddy Anderson - hot and cold goalie. Kind of stuck on a team with shit defence so sometimes he can't help it. If he played on a stud defence team he'd get all-star numbers

Rules
- You said you know the basics, but just in case here's some key rules
- Cause a minor infraction = 2 minute penalty. Other team goes on a man advantage. Semi-serious = 4 minute double minor. Fights and major penalties are 5 min. Non-fight majors I think you kicked out of the game
- Minors are tripping, slashing, hooking etc.... 4 min are these kinds of penalties but more serious and draw blood. Majors are kick ass penalties like going high speed and driving a guy's head into the board from behind trying to make him a quadriplegic
- A team can pull their goalie and get another skater on. Teams do this when they are losing late in the game or about to go on a power play and get a 6th skater on hoping to score before the penalty gets called by the ref. The ref will motion for a penalty call but he won't blow the whistle until the team who is at fault gets control of the puck back
- OT is 3 on 3. No scoring and it goes to a shoot out

Format
- Covid really fucked up the league. It's usually 82 games and 4 divisions on geography. This year it's 56 games and 4 divisions based on geography and borders, and teams only play teams in their own division so it's wacky where each team plays the same team around 8 times. The standout division is an All Canadian team one
- Each division has a corporate sponsor this year which is ridiculous, but guess they need money
- And the schedule is more like baseball where teams now play each other in 2-3 game sets at the same arena. Weird. The schedule is normally like basketball of travelling to other cities, home and occasional back to back games. Now it's back to back almost every week
- Top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs. The old way was I think 4 divisions and the top 3 make it and the last two are the next two best teams (wildcard)

Teams
- The All Canadian division (North) is competitive but not the best one. I'd say the East is the best overall. West and Central have maybe 3 standout teams each and that's it
- Best team in the league is TB who won the cup. Colorado and Vegas are other teams expected to go far
- You'll probably hear a lot of Crosby and Ovechkin. Two Hall of Fame players getting old but still good. Crosby (Pittsburgh) is an aging team and might not even make the playoffs this year. Ovechkin (Washington) scores a lot and is consistently good. But aside from that one cup win in 2018, they always flame out fast in the playoffs. They been a good team for over 10 years and most of the time lose in the first or second round even to shit teams that barely made the playoffs. The team has never been built for playoffs but for flashy regular season offence that kills weak teams
Thanks for the information. I’m gonna be an expert soon.

Also the Leafs have no where to go but up right.

manfestival

Lifelong Lightning fan chiming in. WE THE CHAMPS

Anyways, hockey is one of the most exciting of sports to me. I remember watching the oilers vs lightning a few years ago. Lightning were up by 5 in the third and then out of nowhere the whole rink busted out in a brawl. Saw some guys duking it out about 15 feet away from me lol. It was just this massive bar fight looking thing on the ice that took about 5 minutes to break up with the officials.

Teams to not support: Leafs, Canadiens(screw them), Blawkhawks, Redwings, and Bruins(THE WORST)
I know you say you picked the Leafs but please reconsider OP.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thanks for the information. I’m gonna be an expert soon.

Also the Leafs have no where to go but up right.
If you like listening to sports radio as filler, listen to either Fan 590 or TSN 1050 after the Leafs lose a game. Put it on as background noise as you surf the net. It's like the Hindenberg crashed and every caller is going to jump off a bridge. Then if Leafs won, it's like they are going to win the cup. The fanbase is that on edge.

There were years where in preseason, the Leafs might have great exhibition games going 5-0 in September as every team is testing out young players and the fanbase thinks thats good enough to win the cup. It's hilarious.

As for fights, it doesn't happen much anymore. Youll be lucky to get one fight. Back in the 80s and even most of the 90s, every team had 2-3 goons whose purpose would be to fight. Teams and players back then would have tons of penalty minutes. Now, it's a speed and skill game.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Lifelong Lightning fan chiming in. WE THE CHAMPS

Anyways, hockey is one of the most exciting of sports to me. I remember watching the oilers vs lightning a few years ago. Lightning were up by 5 in the third and then out of nowhere the whole rink busted out in a brawl. Saw some guys duking it out about 15 feet away from me lol. It was just this massive bar fight looking thing on the ice that took about 5 minutes to break up with the officials.

Teams to not support: Leafs, Canadiens(screw them), Blawkhawks, Redwings, and Bruins(THE WORST)
I know you say you picked the Leafs but please reconsider OP.
You scared of the Bruins ?

Top Bottom