• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I dislike colorful 2D graphics nowadays and i don't know why exactly.

missile

What I mean is that more often than not, 2D games (at least retro-style ones that aren't built on vectors or whatever) are played at a resolution where the 2D art is upscaled/zoomed in. So if you're playing a game at, say 1080p, and the 2D art itself is zoomed in maybe 2-4x at a scale where the individual pixels are more easily discernible, if that game also uses tech like dynamic lighting, then that lighting is usually rendered natively at 1080p, making the lighting smoother and transition seamlessly across the pixels, which kind of breaks the uniform fidelity of the presentation. I think it would look more consistent if the lighting was instead essentially quantized to the same scale the pixel art is presented in.
Ah, I see. It happens in 3d as well, for example, the diffuse reflection of the
sphere (see last animation of mine) renders arbitrarily smooth for any distance.
And indeed, there is a mismatch, for, if I get closer to the sphere (assuming no
filtering of the texture) I will start to see the pixels of the texture (which is
what I want), yet the shades, stemming from the lighting computation, are utterly
smooth - not matching the resolution of the 2d asset. Good point for bringing
that up! Will put it on my list and see how I can address it.

9wv165X.gif

NdecZKo.gif

Finally, I had some time implementing the stuff we were talking about. The
shades now match the resolution of the texture. For this example I had to res
down the texture to make the pixels large enough. However, for normal texture
resolution the shades will still be smooth from a distance but will match the
resolution of the texture while getting close. That is to say, the shade is
constant across the size of a texture pixel. Of course, the texture can be
of higher resolution with the shading still at lower res;

DDxJPj4.gif

EVO

the modern Raymans are incredibly ugly, that art style is just horrible.
colors are fine though.

Just to balance out this comment I think modern Rayman is beautiful and the originals look like ass.

OP, have you played Valiant Hearts?

Top Bottom