• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't believe it for a second, but

WowBaby

Sony will also be at handing out refunds at "E3", a large video-gaming event, to all registered PS3 owners. A new article will be posted very soon on how Sony will be handling this matter.

Can't wait to see this.:lol :lol

if its true and sony loses 50% of all profit made on PS3´s i believe they might just call it quits and then we would lose the whole console :p

Interesting, bet it would take 10 years for them to sort people out a refund tho, they had to expect a backlash from removing features tho (even tho hardly anyone used it)

ZeroRay

If Sony loses the case, I think they'll just put OtherOS back in, not ironically lose billions over a decision to prevent piracy.

StuBurns said:
Yeah, but MS launched knowing they'd have to clear that up, and didn't take as much of a hit on initially subsidizing hardware, and they have more money to begin with.

If that was true Microsoft would be in a lot of trouble.

Majine

Banned
We need more salt!

salt.jpg

m0ngo said:

Burns: You know, Smithers, I think I'll donate a million dollars to the local orphanage...when pigs fly!
[They laugh. The pig sails across the sky before them.]
Smithers: Will you be donating that million dollars now, Sir?
Burns: Nooo, I'd still prefer not.

gerg

Gattsu25 said:
http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDcQrQQwAg

It's a shame but I think this is indicative with a greater problem within America. Many parents are failing to take an interest in their children's education and the results are telling. DWC, don't take this the wrong way as it is never too late to learn proper reading. Sure, your parents are failures but maybe they had more important things to do than spend time making sure that their child received an education?

I think he brings up a valid point.

Is it a consumer right for companies to be unable to change the features of their purchase? Moreover, does it matter if consumers happily sign away that right by buying certain products? I don't think that Sony's decision was made in the interests of consumers, no, but I think terms such as "anti-consumer" should be reserved only for decisions that run against consumer rights (or are immoral or anti-competitive).

Mama Robotnik's statement is even more vague when he says things like "No business should be allowed to lobotomise the functionality of your property." What counts as "lobotomising the functionality of your property"? Should region-locking be made illegal? And, if we start to limit a company's ability to design their product (and how that product is used both by consumers and other companies) is it illegal for Nintendo mandate that developers receive a license from them to create games for their system? Should any company be allowed to release any content for any game system?

DevilWillcry said:
This is how I read your post.

I'll use small words.

Sony are doing a bad (not good) thing, and make things of yours (not theres) go break.

We call this (brace yourself) "anti-consumer". Does that make sense?

gerg

Mama Robotnik said:
I'll use small words.

Sony are doing a bad (not good) thing, and make things of yours (not theres) go break.

See my above post.

Is it a consumer right for companies to be unable to alter the functionality of your purchases? Is so, why?

And, if it isn't, why, then, is this decision "anti-consumer"? If all decisions that are "bad" for the consumer count as "anti-consumer" manoeuvres, does releasing a game at under 60fps count as doing something "anti-consumer"?

Danielsan

I'll gladly take the money but I could give a rats ass about my PS3's Linux capabilities.
And neither did 99% of the PS3 owners. It's just that as soon as Sony removed it people smelled money.

No way I'm gettin $300 back almost 4 years after I bought this thing. :lol

But, if it's true (lol), I'm buying a Slim with that money.

DR2K

Banned
gerg said:
See my above post.

Is it a consumer right for companies to be unable to alter the functionality of your purchases? Is so, why?

And, if it isn't, why, then, is this decision "anti-consumer"? If all decisions that are "bad" for the consumer count as "anti-consumer" manoeuvres, does releasing a game at under 60fps count as doing something "anti-consumer"?

Altering a functionality and completely removing it are 2 different things.

Cruzader

Banned
Also that one UK got like 80 euros or something...did more UK people get that money from Amazon? Why havent i heard more people getting money from Amazon???

gerg said:
I think he brings up a valid point.

Is it a consumer right for companies to be unable to change the features of their purchase? Moreover, does it matter if consumers happily sign away that right by buying certain products? I don't think that Sony's decision was made in the interests of consumers, no, but I think terms such as "anti-consumer" should be reserved only for decisions that run against consumer rights (or are immoral or anti-competitive).

One of the reasons this situation really enrages me, is that the funcionality in question is one of the console's core advertised features. It was put across as one of many selling points.

Under your definition, I'd argue that for a company to reduce the functionality of your property (fully owned by you, and not them) is both against consumer rights, and absolutely immoral.

gerg said:
Mama Robotnik's statement is even more vague when he says things like "No business should be allowed to lobotomise the functionality of your property." What counts as "lobotomising the functionality of your property"?

I'd go with reducing function/ability after-the-fact, with no replacement function/consumer benefit.

gerg said:
Should region-locking be made illegal?

If the box says "Plays games from every region!", then they went back on that, then I'd say this would be anti-consumer. I don't like region locking in any form, but the company never claimed all games would be region-free. That scenario is not as comparably malicious as what Sony are doing though, because while whereas you have an option to purchase region-locked games, you do not have an option to a company forcibly removing paid-for functions in your own property.

gerg said:
And, if we start to limit a company's ability to design their product (and how that product is used both by consumers and other companies) is it illegal for Nintendo mandate that developers receive a license from them to create games for their system?

If Nintendo advertised/described their product as "Plays all unlicensed games" and removed said function from the hardware with an irreversible patch, then I'd argue this would be equally anticonsumer, if not worse.

gerg said:
Should any company be allowed to release any content for any game system?

Not quite following your on this one gerg, maybe its me. Could you expand on it a bit please?

gerg

Mama Robotnik said:
One of the reasons this situation really enrages me, is that the funcionality in question is one of the console's core advertised features. It was put across as one of many selling points.

Under your definition, I'd argue that for a company to reduce the functionality of your property (fully owned by you, and not them) is both against consumer rights, and absolutely immoral.

On the one hand, I can absolutely sympathise - it sucks to have a feature you enjoyed using removed from your purchase.

On the other hand, I can't help but wonder if there's little argument to be made once you have, through your actual purchase of this machine, agreed to the chance of this happening. (Although, I guess the argument is then that Sony shouldn't be allowed to put those clauses into the purchases of its products.)

I'd go with reducing function/ability after-the-fact, with no replacement function/consumer benefit.

Does it matter if I don't care for that function?

Not quite following your on this one gerg, maybe its me. Could you expand on it a bit please?

It all comes down to what a company should be allowed to do with their product. In one of the many threads we've had about Nintendo's introduction of region-locking with the DSi, people have claimed that it is anti-competitive because it limits what other companies can do with the machine. Sorry, it was a bit off-tangent.

Edit: Thinking about it, it is an anti-consumer move. Sony should not force consumers to choose between advertised features. I think I jumped the gun on the matter... : )

Edit edit: Gah. My internal debate is the obviously un-beneficial nature of this move and the fact that you, as a consumer, agreed to its potentiality through your purchase. Should Sony not have a right to ask that you purchase a PS3 under those conditions?

Edit3: So, yeah. I agree. Sony should not have the right to remove features retroactively which were advertised as being included in the PS3. Similarly, Nintendo's removal of the ability to use MP3 files when using the Photo Channel was against consumer-rights. The only instance I can think of when I might not want to say this is when Sony is earnestly trying to fix a security problem (or something else significant), but in those instances Sony should not hold other advertised features hostage as an incentive to try and encourage you to download that firmware.

Safe Bet

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
1. Sony has every right to protect the security of the PS3.

2. If you never used it and never planned to, nothing was taken from you.

3. I'm sure Sony can send the people who can reasonably prove they were using Linux on the PS3 new Viaos.

-PXG-

MikeE21286 said:
They're gonna refund me 50% of the price for my $600 launch unit? :lol I'll believe it when I see it.

:lol

That would be amazing. I couldn't complain about getting $300 from Sony either :D

JWong

Banned
Safe Bet said:
Not even. Protecting the PS3 means protecting the interest of all game developers and publishers.

If piracy breaks through to the PS3, which has been the strongest against piracy thus far, then a lot of companies, not just Sony, will lose money, which also mean jobs are lost.

Safe Bet said:

2. If you never used it and never planned to, nothing was taken from you.

3. I'm sure Sony can send the people who can reasonably prove they were using Linux on the PS3 new Viaos.
1. Not to the detriment of the consumer.

2. An option was taken from me. An option that was advertised by Sony.

3. ???

avaya

Mama Robotnik said:
What Sony have done is one of the worst anti-consumer moves in the history of the industry, and they should be made to pay back every penny. No business should be allowed to lobotomise the functionality of your property.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
hoho

28m (?) units pre that date globally , everyone is getting "50%" back (50% of what? so lets just say, $100)

so even at that Sony are going to budget to lose $2,800,000,000 ?

Not going to happen.

I'm sure there is also probably some clause in the agreement EUA document that says "we reserve the rights to remove features that impact security without notice" too.

What Sony have done is one of the worst anti-consumer moves in the history of the industry, and they should be made to pay back every penny. No business should be allowed to lobotomise the functionality of your property.

wave goodbye to Sony if this were the case. Given that the PS3 has already blown a multi billion $ hole in them, wiping out a huge chunk of "playstation family" profit, having to then pay back the historic retail price of -every- PS3 to date give or take a few months?

also - do they then collect from every retailer what they got in profits? Wow, that's a logistics nightmare - probably add a few $100m just to admin that too! And i'm sure that's a fair few other businesses getting that final push over the edge towards bankruptcy too! woohoo! :D

Wouldn't they just patch the Other OS option back in and then give some sort of token download vouchers to the new playstation owners who lack the features rather than throw their business into a multi million $ payout fire pit of doom?

... why am i even discussing this? it's obviously a load of old balls!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
There is no way any arbiter in the world would make the judgment that Other OS functionality was/is worth 50% of the console price. I suppose if they added all the emotional damages (sure seem to be plenty around here) it might get up there though.

Neuromancer said:
Maybe so, that doesn't change the fact that it was still advertised as a feature though.

If it's not on the box, where was it advertised? People talking about it on the internet doesn't count (and that's where I can most easily remember hearing about it). I'm not trying to attack you or the side you're on, I'm just interested in the facts on this point.

Wazzim

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
There is no way any arbiter in the world would make the judgment that Other OS functionality was/is worth 50% of the console price. I suppose if they added all the emotional damages (sure seem to be plenty around here) it might get up there though.

dorkimoe

i knew sony would have to pay people to take their systems :lol

I KID I KID. I have one i have one, dont ban me

Top Bottom