• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have a problem. Everything has to be sweet for me or I can't enjoy it

eat whole grains and peas/beans/lentils and whole fruit/roots/tubers the fiber in whole foods will slowly release sugar into your system throughout the day & should satiate your sugar cravings for longer & it'll be easier to limit your desire for fiberless liquid sugar which absorbs too quickly not saying you can't have a cup during a meal but you want to make sure you're eating fiber throughout the day as well to slow down absorption & leave you more satiated
I don't really like peas, beans and lentils. Like... at all. But thanks all, I'll try to slowly get out of this sweet life. :(

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You're a sweet tooth. An extreme one but we're all wired differently.

The only sweet stuff I buy are zero soda's and... I'm thinking hard of another thing but I feel that's it.

thefool

You should start cutting it for your sake. Do it little by little, no need to go cold turkey and fail. After a while, your body will adapt.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Stop eating and drinking sugar for 6 months, everything will taste great. The problem is your taste is fucked because u endlessly keep eating / drinking sugar.

Having been on extremely strict diets before. Going from pasta and whatever to a plain cooked Broccoli with a grilled piece of chicken isn't fun. I know all about it lmao.

Along the way you'll learn to add this or that to makes it more tasty.

Remember there's a shit ton of sugar in pasta sauces and chinese food you name it. Sugar is a drug. And the come down isn't pleasant

For example. If I would take a regular sugary coca cola and do some stuff like taking a walk or whatever I would get faint and hungry. Low/high(?) Sugar levels because I'm not used to it. It's pretty bad when you think about it

But hey.. Some pistachio icecream or tiramisu once a blue moon...

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

Last edited:
Alternatively: Stop adding even more sugar to everything.

I used to put a decent amount of sugar in my tea. Then one day I thought about how much sugar that is over the course of a year. I drink 2 cups a day, so it adds up. So I just stopped. Probably took a month before I got used to the basic flavor, but it's fine now.

If you have the discipline you can make it work. I'm sure cutting out sugar from your diet entirely is possible and healthy, but it's also really hard. Take small steps instead.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Speaking from experience, sugar 100% is a drug--most similar to opiates, imo.

Most recently, I've fallen into the clutches of Ben and Jerry's The Tonight Dough lol

-Minsc-

It was a gradual journey getting to your level of desensitization. Without realizing you needed more and more. You can go back. One way is gradual, another is a cold reboot. Either way, you can regain your sensitivity to sugar.

Everytime you drink sweet stuff, drink it with water if you can.
You need to teach your tongue that too much sweet isnt good for you.

I used to drink sweet stuff. Stopped eventually after drinking it water. Now little bit sweet is too much for me, without water.

Keep drinking the water. Think of ways you can reduce your sugar intake. With good choices on your part, you can reboot your sugar tolerance. Start eating those bland foods. If you don't want to drink just water, try a herbal tea. I drink black mint tea. No sugar, no caffeine.

Send me a PM if you try and find yourself always failing to reduce sugar consumption.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
If it's a matter of having a sweet tooth, you could substitute sugar for xylitol, monk fruit, or erythritol and still enjoy sweet drinks or foods without so much of the problems that stem from having a diet with too much sugar consumption.
I mix monk fruit sweetener into my coffee along with a scope of grass-fed collagen peptide and I'm good to go.

Jesus Christ. Exercise some self control and cut the sugar. We all do things we don't like that are good for us, it's part of being an adult.

Or, keep doing what your doing, develop diabetes and become a needless drain on the healthcare system.

FutureMD

Decrease the sugar amount by 10% or so in things like tea and coffee. It'll not taste great, but will be palatable. After a week or 2 it should be more manageable. Then cut down another 10%. And if it feels too tasteless, you can add a bit more, but try to keep on track. Etc.

Do remember that every single time you have a full sweetness sugary food item, you're retraining your receptors to that baseline.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I don't really like peas, beans and lentils. Like... at all. But thanks all, I'll try to slowly get out of this sweet life. :(

fruits/citrus/lemon/lime or balsamic/apple cider vinegar will make them easier to digest/absorb. something acidic. don't have to eat it everyday just like every other day a few times a week. or have them a couple days in a row and then a day without them. maybe some days more, some days less I just treat them as an ingredient/source of fiber and add em to my leafy greens/nuts/seeds most of the time. i usually only eat more sugar/protein when I play games since I gotta utilize my brain more if i'm doing cardio i eat less. our core muscles are slow-twitch aerobic red muscles and like consuming fat/greens/oxygen for energy whereas the brain likes more sugar/protein for energy.

You are addicted, plain and simple. I also expects that you can't eat normal meal, before you take something sugary...am I right?
Not exactly before, but I need to drink something while eating. I can't eat without drinking anything (like juice or soda)

Top Bottom