• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have to admit, French press coffee does taste better than drip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaz

Fun fact: the french press is virtually unknown in France where people there just drink expresso when in good company or filter at breakfast. The french press doesn't even have a french wikipedia page. I personally found out about the french press when travelling abroad. I suspect french was appended to the name to make it sound foreign and posh, or something.

xenist

The only people calling this a french press are Americans. In fact I've mostly seen the words French coffee used to describe filtered/ drip coffee. I just use it when speaking to Americans. It's not supposed to denote nationality.

Brakke

Banned
chemex-646-620x620.jpg

Slap a Kone in that bitch and come hang out. Taking the time to do your coffee right makes a huge difference.

...I still drink garbage Starbucks out of a machine at the office though. Sometimes you need Great Coffee, sometimes you need Caffeine Sludge.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
At work I use those instant coffee sachet things coz I can't stand the instant coffee they have there. Blend 43 or international roast? I'd rather drink dish water.

At my partner's place we use a percolator thingy and a grinder and buy fancy beans from the market. So good.

Every time I buy one of those I inevitably put it on the stove without putting any water in the bottom. Then the shitty plastic handle melts off and causes a massive mess and my house fills with acrid cancer smoke,

I've done this three times.
Hahaha 3 times? That's great

Aeneas

I'm not a big fan of french press coffee. Maybe it's because I spent a year drinking it at work (it was either that or instant).

For me, espresso, moka and even drip are superior. French press does give it a very unique taste though.

I've got to get my technique down, still getting pretty gritty bits of sediment at the bottom of my cup.

Tiramisu & amaretto coffee is godly though, for the smell alone. I learnt how to make a cappuccino with a French Press last week, and that's pretty much been my thing to have the last week or so.

moojito

I went instant>french press>drip>tassimo.
I didn't like the french press stuff, and it was way too much effort in the morning.

hachi

Banned
I was using a french press as my primary method, but everyone should heed a word of caution on the potential health consequences. Brewing methods that do not use a paper filter can have the unfortunate effect of raising bad cholesterol levels by a significant margin.

Harvard Public Health said:
Is drinking coffee made with a paper filter healthier than drinking boiled coffee or other types of coffee?

Coffee contains a substance called cafestol that is a potent stimulator of LDL cholesterol levels. Cafestol is found in the oily fraction of coffee, and when you brew coffee with a paper filter, the cafestol gets left behind in the filter. Other methods of coffee preparation, such as the boiled coffee common in Scandinavian countries, French press coffee, or Turkish coffee, are much higher in cafestol. So for people who have high cholesterol levels or who want to prevent having high cholesterol levels, it is better to choose paper filtered coffee or instant coffee, since they have much lower levels of cafestol than boiled or French press coffee. Espresso is somewhere in the middle; it has less cafestol than boiled or French press coffee, but more than paper filtered coffee.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/coffee/

There are many other sources of the same information. The effects on bad cholesterol shouldn't be ignored if you are generally at risk for cardiovascular issues.

I'm currently planning to switch to an AeroPress after seeing some information and demonstrations, but have been lazy to purchase one (perhaps I'll go online and take care of that today...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom