• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just bought a 3DS ! Needing help with the ID

Finally, I bought a 3DS XL, with Pokemon X, Pokemon AS, Mario Kart 7 physical, and a digital game. That digital game is Mario & Luigi Dream Team, the 3DS XL is the special edition that has it pre-installed.

The thing is, I bought it pre-owned. It was cheap as hell, in good condition, so it was a good deal.

Now, the console has already an ID, my question is, can I create a new NNID without losing the pre-installed game? Do I need to format?

I was reading that formating the console will delete everything, but it will let you redownload any game that it is pre-installed in the special editions consoles, since it's not ID-tied, it's that correct?

Anyone with experience with this topic that can help?

Another question is, how really needed is a big SD card? I think I'll buy some digital games, but checking the eShop, most games I really want are physical, so I don't know if I will go nuts buying digital like with the Vita (the other way around with the games)

So, I'm now a 3DSGaffer, and proud one, I'm really enjoying the console, needed some Nintendo stuff back in my life :)

As the digital games are tied to the NNID already on the Console, you will lose them.

Also depending on how much you intend on investing in digital 3DS games, I'd say go for broke and start out with a 32GB Micro SD card since they're relatively cheap online.

I just upgraded to a 64GB SD card and have over 300k blocks (37GB or so) left over to fill up with even more digital games, since I can't be bothered carrying around cartridges like its 1999 or something.

ricard0388

Neo Member
Just create a new NNID in the config menu and a 16GB SD card will be enough at least you wanna go full digital, a 32 SD card is better.

MrPanic

Even if the game was pre-installed ? I was checking the download history of the current ID and there is no bill or receipt of the game, like the ones that are shown even with themes.

I'm pretty sure the game gets tied to the first nnid account you tie the 3ds to.

fernoca

Since you will need to create a new NNID anyway. Format it, create the new ID and then go to the eShop and check for Partners in Time. Either it will appear as free or recquire a purchase. And no matter what you still need a new ID anyway.

Like IDs on every other device, purchases will be tied to your ID. So there's no advantage on keeping the old ID...unless you really like the name and really want Partners in Time.

MrPanic

If you want to play Dream Team, I'd recommend you first play and finish that game and then proceed to make the new NNID. Deleting the old NNID will definitely lose you the game but Dream Team isn't a game you normally want to play through twice anyway, so that's what I would do.

Mr-Joker

Banned
OP do you have a Nintendo ID? If so try ringing Nintendo to see if they will be willing to transfer the game to your account.

If you want to play Dream Team, I'd recommend you first play and finish that game and then proceed to make the new NNID. Deleting the old NNID will definitely lose you the game but Dream Team isn't a game you normally want to play through twice anyway, so that's what I would do.

But OP paid for that game so he has every right to retain ownership of the license.

epmode

OP do you have a Nintendo ID? If so try ringing Nintendo to see if they will be willing to transfer the game to your account.

I'd love to hear that conversation.

But OP paid for that game so he has every right to retain ownership of the license.

As much fun as it is to bitch about Nintendo's backwards policies, what you're asking for isn't possible on virtually any storefront.

I think that's what I'll have to do.

I was searching online, and some people in the same position just formated the console, and they still could download the pre-installed game even creating other ID. But a lot of other people says that it isn't possible.

I don't know if I should just risk it. Checking the Netowork Settings menu, it says that the email confirmation was never done. Does that mean that the ID wasn't fully created? Another thing I found searching the web, is that the pre-installed games are tied with the eShop of the console and not always the ID, unless it's fully tied, so it may be a possibility. Or a straight lie, heh.

Pokemaniac

All digital games currently on the device are tied to the current ID, so you lose those when you unlink the ID. The old ID really should have been removed before the system was sold.

I think that's what I'll have to do.

I was searching online, and some people in the same position just formated the console, and they still could download the pre-installed game even creating other ID. But a lot of other people says that it isn't possible.

I don't know if I should just risk it. Checking the Netowork Settings menu, it says that the email confirmation was never done. Does that mean that the ID wasn't fully created? Another thing I found searching the web, is that the pre-installed games are tied with the eShop of the console and not always the ID, unless it's fully tied, so it may be a possibility. Or a straight lie, heh.

Pre installed games become permanently tied to the first NNID registered to the system. The only way to keep them past adding an ID to the system is if there was no ID tied to the system in the first place.

The email thing just means they never bothered to verify their email address. The account in general is still valid.

No, not yet. I want to create one, but that means I should format the system. What I'm afraid of, is that I would lose the pre-installed game.

It would be sad to have the Mario & Luigi special 3DS XL and not having the game lol

MrPanic

The NNID is the one that owns that game, so unless he "bought" that NNID with all its login credentials and intended on using it, he didn't technically buy that game. Though I'm pretty sure it's against the terms to sell digital purchases or accounts in the first place.

The NNID is the one that owns that game, so unless he "bought" that NNID with all its login credentials and intended on using it, he didn't technically buy that game. Though I'm pretty sure it's against the terms to sell digital purchases or accounts in the first place.

By the way, can the ID name be changed ?

Bumping with an update that may help other gaffer in my situation.

I contacted Nintendo Customer Support via chat, and told them about changing the ID and asked them if I would lose the game.

To my surprise, they just told me that I wouldn't. The game in this case is owned by the System and not the NNID, so you can format the system, create an ID of your own, and just redownload the game.

So I just did, and yes, the game is redownloadable in the eShop, it's not attached to any ID.

I didn't thought Nintendo would approve something like that, but it's pretty good from them. I have my own ID now, and didn't lose the game.

Top Bottom