• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love this WTF (Marc Maron's podcast) episode with director Paul Thomas Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, if you're into movies, if you're a fan of PTA, if you like interviews with artisans, if you're into entertainment at all, you should give this a listen on your next commute:

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_565_-_paul_thomas_anderson

(YouTube link)

I like Marc Maron, not because I find him especially hilarious, but because of the cultural and societal awareness he has. It makes his conversations contextually rich and often fascinating.

This interview is so great. Paul Thomas Anderson is such a willing participant and great anecdote teller, yet he's guarded and sometimes mute about some more personal subjects. Marc keeps throwing analyses of PTA's films at him, and Paul sometimes engages and happily expounds, and sometimes lets Marc's words just maronate (tee-hee), neither confirming nor denying them. But he doesn't do it in any false "my genius work stands for itself" way. PTA is just so genuine about everything with a passion that is well blanketed by true friendliness and willingness to engage people.

I'm just rambling nonsensically now. This was a joy to listen to. Check it out.

Great episode. One of my favorite podcasts and director. He was a lot more chill and buoyant than I was expecting. I was imagining a grizzled auteur that doesn't say much in interviews, was pleasantly surprised. Hearing him geek out about his favorite movies, especially the B&W stuff was a treat. Always cool hearing a director just espousing their love for the medium and not being super serious.

All of the press PTA did for Inherent Vice (which includes this great interview) is so much better than the most boring movie ever made Inherent Vice.

Talka

One of my favorite directors and one of my least favorite comedians / podcasts. Not sure what to do.

lednerg

It's a really good interview. I heard it when it came out and the part about his father sent me on a little Google/YouTube journey. His dad hosted a horror movie show on local Cleveland TV in the mid 60's as a character called Ghoulardi. It's interesting just how influential he was in that area of the country, even to this day. He was way ahead of his time; when practically everybody on TV was straight-laced and rehearsed, he was silly and in the moment. Here's a good write-up with links to a documentary on YouTube. After the Gholardi gig, he would go on to become the voice of ABC, introducing all of the shows during the promos. Anyone from the US older than 30-ish will recognize his voice.

It's a really good interview. I heard it when it came out and the part about his father sent me on a little Google/YouTube journey. His dad hosted a horror movie show on local Cleveland TV in the mid 60's as a character called Ghoulardi. It's interesting just how influential he was in that area of the country, even to this day. He was way ahead of his time; when practically everybody on TV was straight-laced and rehearsed, he was silly and in the moment. Here's a good write-up with links to a documentary on YouTube. After the Gholardi gig, he would go on to become the voice of ABC, introducing all of the shows during the promos. Anyone from the US older than 30-ish will recognize his voice.

Black Key's album "Turn Blue" is a phrase from Ghoulardi's show. I'm pretty sure I read that Devo's "are we not men" line took inspiration from the movie "The Island of Lost Souls" which they watched via Ghoulardi. My dad is from Cleveland and still talks about how great Ghoulardi is and how inventive his show was to this day.

JGLS

I listened to this podcast episode last week and really enjoyed it. The story about Ricky Jay and the word "nevertheless" in Boogie Nights is hilarious. Check the one with Richard Linklater, it's also pretty good.

Great episode. One of my favorite podcasts and director. He was a lot more chill and buoyant than I was expecting. I was imagining a grizzled auteur that doesn't say much in interviews, was pleasantly surprised. Hearing him geek out about his favorite movies, especially the B&W stuff was a treat. Always cool hearing a director just espousing their love for the medium and not being super serious.
... which reminds me, the biggest revelation might be that he's a fan of and enjoys watching Adam Sandler movies. Then again, he specifically talks about Sandler's first two or three and makes no mention of his latest stuff.

In general, PTA seems to be very deliberate about the stuff he doesn't mention in this interview.

Guzim

Thanks for posting this. I've only listened to WTF twice before this, and I enjoyed the interview with PTA a lot.

Peru

Please listen to the recent WTF episode with Melanie Lynskey, the actress, even if you don't know her. Amazing connection, intese honesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom