• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I may not be looking hard enough, but aren't we due for another really good sitcom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fakefaker

Probably different tastes. I respect all of the shows you have listed, but aside from Master of None which I loved, none held my attention. So I understand where OP is coming from.

Maybe Brooklyn 9-9 for the OP?

You got it, funniest show on tv now.

622231.jpg

jett

D-Member
The era of "quality" multi-camera network sitcoms with laugh tracks has been over for ages. Look to shows like Master of None (Netflix) and Silicon Valley (HBO).

Do you want sitcoms or comedy shows? One is specific, the latter is pretty broad.

tumblr_nljc0v4HSR1tb350so1_500.gif

Man Seeking Woman (absurdist romcom) is pretty brilliant, along with Master Of None (slice-of-life romcom with lots of relevance) and It's Always Sunny (dark comedy at its finest). Rick And Morty (animated sci fi family adventures), too.

On a basic network? Don't hold your breathe. But there's great stuff on cable. Always Sunny, Workaholics, Broad City, Veep, Silicon Valley

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I'm loving superstore on NBC laughter out loud good
Superstore has been pretty decent from what I've seen so far.
I'm enjoying Superstore at the moment. Obviously not at How I Met Your Mother level yet, but it's only season one.
Nice work, GAF. Superstore is probably the best new sitcom on right now. Great ensemble cast who are playing off each other surprisingly well given how new the series is. Reminds me a lot of early Community, and that is only a good thing.

Speaking of Community, OP said there weren't any good sitcoms in the last 10 years, which is demonstrably false considering both Community and Parks and Recreation were from the last decade. Even if we're just talking about shows that are on the air now, the lineup looks pretty great:

- You're the Worst
- The Goldbergs
- BoJack Horeseman
- Man Seeking Woman
- Master of None
- Rick and Morty
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- Workaholics
- Idiotsitter
- Fresh Off the Boat
- Review
- The Grinder
- Nathan For You
- Difficult People

If you want to get super strict and say only traditional primetime network sitcoms count, then there are still several good options. However, it'd be silly to only count those as television has changed in the last decade and great content is being produced all over the place.

WoolyNinja

The Grinder is great and The New Girl is kind of back to its former glorious self after a couple of meh seasons

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I've never had a problem finding hilarious shows to watch over the last few years.......

Parks and Rec
Veep
Silicon Valley
Archer
It's Always Sunny
Brooklyn Nine Nine
Review
Workaholics
Community
30 Rock

Plus FX has had two really good shows that almost nobody seemed to watch in Legit and You're the Worst.

brawly

My favorites are:

The Inbetweeners
Eastbound & Down
The Office
Parks and Rec
New Girl
Modern Family
Comunity (first half, second not so much)

Never laughed during 30 Rock so I pretty much dropped it early in season 2.

lunchtoast

The Grinder
Superstore
Fresh of the Boat
Modern Family.

That's what you get for now.

How bout you get on Netflix and do a run through of Malcolm in the Middle?

Akahige

Recent TV comedies that I've liked:

• Veep
  • Silicon Valley
  • Master of None
  • Louie
  • Broad City
  • The Last Man on Earth
  • Review
  • Portlandia
  • Rick & Morty
  • Archer
  • New Girl

There's lots out there. Maybe my tastes are different than yours, though.
Not much to add, you posted almost all I watch. I'd say that network television is lacking in the sitcom department but cable is really excelling at great comedies, those 22 episode seasons really drag the better network shows down.

I will try to check out a few of the one's posted in yhis thread.

G0523

Judging from the shows you described, I'm guessing you're looking for a new ensemble comedy. Sure, there are shows like Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Superstore, and those might even satiate your needs, but I think we're overdue for an ensemble comedy where there's no main lead like Happy Endings or Friends. Funnily enough, the only show that's on that fits that need is Always Sunny but that show has been on for more than a decade, so it's time for some fresh meat.

I think we're still a couple years away from having a really good sitcom but the ones we have now are filling the void well enough.

And, yes OP, you should try out Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Superstore.

Choomp

Banned
What's wrong with Scrubs? Ignore the last season? And why is HIMYM even in the same sentence as it (I know OP was the one who did so, but you seem to hold them equally when Scrubs is FAR superior)

I can understand HIMYM hate but Scrubs really is one of my favorite shows ever. How I Met Your Mother was a show I really enjoyed too, but The Office and Scrubs are far ahead imo. I was just trying to think of a third of that type of show that really hooked me.

Rktk

I started watching Master of None and it was great until the 4th episode in when it took a nosedive. I've seen another 4 episodes past that and now it's a hate watching tradition. A problem among others is Aziz Ansari's character, he is just insufferable.

Made a start on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and after one season I'm loving it. I can't be sure where the show is now since I'm only on season 2, but I guess that is a current and decent show.

How I met your mother ended, the office ended, parks and rec ended, 30 rock ended, scrubs ended, no...the golden days are over. You'll watch two broke girls and like it damnit.

Choomp

Banned
Like I said I like The Middle, and The Goldbergs is also pretty cool, but besides that I'm done with the whole middle class family premise. Blackish did nothing for me and Modern Family got boring after a while.

Also, Superstore looked exactly like what I wanted. The few episodes I saw really didn't grab me though, will give it another shot at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom