• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss Dead Space...

Star Wars factory
I do wonder if we might see some Dead Space features show up in their Star Wars game. The weapon crafting system and zero-G navigation perhaps.

How was some of the co-op side missions? I've been skipping those as I don't know anyone wanting to play the game now.
If you play as Isaac they're mostly the same as the other side missions, but you learn a bit about Carver's backstory through various audio-/text-logs. If you play as Carver they're far more trippy, with weird hallucinations and brief gameplay sections that only he can see.

mazur

Neo Member
3 got too much hate which ultimately probably killed the franchise.

1. Was an outstanding survival horror game.

2. Was an amazing action horror game.

3. Was an immensely satisfying co-op horror shooter.

The key to enjoying 3 was really playing through the entirety of it with a friend.

DEAD SPACE <3 <3 <3

Oh finally, a kindred spirit! DS3 was my most memorable co-op experience, ever. Of course, playing it together killed the scare factor, but Visceral realized it, and was never aiming for the survival horror atmosphere of DS1-2. Instead, it was a really intense action-horror shooter.
I'm planning to replay it with my buddy (which is something I very rarely do).

I'd give an arm and leg for Dead Space 4. Or a few limbs.

tebunker

Banned
Honestly this is one of those series that would benefit from a remastering/rebooting.

Honestly, get all three running and looking up to today's standards, implement features across all three and package them in a one disc collection to reboot the series. Launch it with an announcement for a new title in the works.

I think it would be cool to have more co-op and updated features across all three. Like reducing the in game mt in 3. They could tweak some encounters as well. So I am talking more like a WW HD remaster.

Unfortunately thats not how EA works and they wouldnt pack it all together either.

Jackpot

Banned
I do love the end run of DS games. You have your escape in sight, you've upgraded your weapons and mastered the enemies' attack patterns, and the game just goes crazy throwing wave after wave of the advanced necros. "yeah, bitch and moan all you want, ship, you're not keeping me"

I'm hoping for a comeback, or even a reboot of sorts.

1 and 2 were some of the best survival horror I've ever played.
1 was very good but 2 polished it up and tweaked the formula just enough to be amazing.

As many have said, then 3 happened.
I treat 3 like I treat RE5 - if you play with a friend, they're loads of fun.
With both franchises though, removing the isolation of solo play ends up removing a lot of the tension that they're known for.

Memnoch

...and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who does. Make no mistake, DS3 didn't exactly leave a good impression, but it was not a horrible game by any means (although the story WAS horrible). I enjoyed it for what it was. DS1 and 2, on the other hand, were both very well-received from what I recall.

I think this generation could use a Dead Space. That series had a distinct feel to it that I'm really missing right now.
Scariest game I have ever played.

Truant

Just finished up DS3 and Awakened. I guess there's not much left to be said about DS3, but I'm actually really surprised by Awekened. It managed to make the series creepy again, and it was a nice coda to the original ending. I love the Lovecraftian elements, the new human cultist enemies and the back-and-forth between Isaac and Carver. I wish it was a tad longer, but I guess they had a limited budget on this DLC.

I'm not really sure where I would take the series next, if it was up to me. Maybe I return to form in terms of speed and combat, with a large open environment with actual worthwhile side quests. I remember reading Codecow saying this was the original design for DS3, and it makes sense.

Story wise, I guess Isaac could go on a search for a way to stop the moons. Maybe a new story about some remote colony sent to the outer reaches of the galaxy, totally untouched by the events of the main series. I love this universe, warts and all. I really hope EA decides to make another one.

lazyguy

Fuck I love the series so much. I haven't touched 3 because of obvious reasons. From what little I played of the IOS game it was pretty much Dead Space 2 and Dead Space 2 was Dead Space 3. My hopes are that we will see a Dead Space 4 in the future but all things considered IF they bring back the series they will probably do it Catalyst style.

Okay I'm playing DS3 now and I am having a lot of fun.

But this save system is absolute fucking garbage. I've had to play through two optional missions almost in their entirety over again because I didn't beat them when I clicked save and quit.

What the fuck, Visceral? I was happy when the save stations went away but this is a horrible solution.

Okay I'm playing DS3 now and I am having a lot of fun.

But this save system is absolute fucking garbage. I've had to play through two optional missions almost in their entirety over again because I didn't beat them when I clicked save and quit.
Yeah, that was one of the first things I had to get used to, you have to pay attention to when the saving icon appears before quitting. Had som annoying moments, like when I quit on the chapter break after landing on the planet only to discover I had to do the landing again next time.

Just finished up DS3 and Awakened. I guess there's not much left to be said about DS3, but I'm actually really surprised by Awekened. It managed to make the series creepy again, and it was a nice coda to the original ending. I love the Lovecraftian elements, the new human cultist enemies and the back-and-forth between Isaac and Carver. I wish it was a tad longer, but I guess they had a limited budget on this DLC.

I'm not really sure where I would take the series next, if it was up to me. Maybe I return to form in terms of speed and combat, with a large open environment with actual worthwhile side quests. I remember reading Codecow saying this was the original design for DS3, and it makes sense.

Story wise, I guess Isaac could go on a search for a way to stop the moons. Maybe a new story about some remote colony sent to the outer reaches of the galaxy, totally untouched by the events of the main series. I love this universe, warts and all. I really hope EA decides to make another one.

Dead space 3's DLC does do a lot to salvage the legacy of the series.

Janeway86

Neo Member
3 got too much hate which ultimately probably killed the franchise.

1. Was an outstanding survival horror game.

2. Was an amazing action horror game.

3. Was an immensely satisfying co-op horror shooter.

The key to enjoying 3 was really playing through the entirety of it with a friend.

DEAD SPACE <3 <3 <3

I absolutely agree. Dead Space 3 was great playing co-op and I loved playing it online with my husband. I really love good co-op games with a good story and gameplay. I hope someday we'll see another Dead Space game but I doubt it.

Top Bottom