• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
4770k, and im using a phanteck fan for cooling.

It was stock because I really didn't feel like buying a new fan and doing the install, was lazy lol, so I decided to get a new build and just do everything with it.

Using a Asus z87-Pro, load it gets to 65c-68c, idles at 40c.

Im super lucky with it to be honest, I was reading only 20% of the 4770k can get at that speed and be cool enough to be stable.
What are you using to load (Prime 95 Blend? Small FFT? OCCT? and what voltage?

Those seem extremely low even with a Phantek.

RoKKeR

Is it just that game?

770 right? let me go check if I have similar issues with that game.

edit: its 17GB download, Holy shit! Going to take 30mins!

Just checked Last Light, same deal. Framerate counter is in the 100's but it's stuttering like mad. All settings maxed.

EDIT: Yeah, it's very annoying. Super high FPS but performance is in the toilet. My 570 was playing much smoother on the same settings.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I have all my parts now!

Now I'm terrified that something is DOA or I'm going to have issues like RoKKer.

Man I'm really grateful for my 3570k and cooling and performance is gives. I'm running 4.7ghz at a vcore of 1.270. Now before I say more, I did delib my 3570k so my H80i has direct connect with the cpu die and the highest I get in temps is 72 degrees Celsius using Intel Burn Test. Before I did the delib I ran 4.7ghz at a vcore of 1.300 with a max temp of 82, so since I did the delib I was able to lower my vcore for some reason. I must got a real good :)

Addnan

In-game V sync on and yes, still stuttering.

Thats odd. In LL have you got SSAA enabled? That really kills and in Batman does it do it when you go down from Directx11 and turn down Physx?

edit: guessing SSAA is disabled, otherwise 4x SSAA would get like 30fps. :/

RoKKeR

Now in BF3 multi: Running on the "High" default I can hardly break 30fps + stuttering. I was able to do more than that on m 570.

Jesus this is frustrating as hell. Am I the only one having 7xx performance issues?

Flaxh

I have all my parts now!

Now I'm terrified that something is DOA or I'm going to have issues like RoKKer.

Nice! What did you end yo buying?

I just got home from the store and all my parts have been ordered. I managed to save some € and they offered the setup so I'll pick it up no later than next Wednesday.

Final build:
fractal define r4 titanium grey
xfx 650w core
i5 3570k
hyper 212 evo
p8z77-vlk
8gb vengeance lp 1600
gtx 770 direct cu
WD caviar blue 1TB

Monitor wise I'll probably end up buying the Asus VG23AH. Thanks everyone that guided me through this process, I'll post some pictures when I get the desktop.

I just got home from the store and all my parts have been ordered. I managed to save some € and they offered the setup so I'll pick it up no later than next Wednesday.

Final build:
xfx 650w core
i5 3570k
hyper 212 evo
p8z77-vlk
8gb vengeance lp 1600
gtx 770 direct cu
WD caviar blue 1TB

Monitor wise I'll probably end up buying the Asus VG23AH. Thanks everyone that guided me through this process, I'll post some pictures when I get the desktop.

I'm assuming you're building it. I would run to Radioshack or whoever and grab a wrist strap. I never work on my pc without one, then again I live in an environment full of static :(

Addnan

Final build:
xfx 650w core
i5 3570k
hyper 212 evo
p8z77-vlk
8gb vengeance lp 1600
gtx 770 direct cu
WD caviar blue 1TB

Looks good, need an SSD!

I'm assuming you're building it. I would run to Radioshack or whoever and grab a wrist strap. I never work on my pc without one.
You don't need those. Just touch the inside of your case to ground yourself and you are good to go!

RSTEIN

Final build:
xfx 650w core
i5 3570k
hyper 212 evo
p8z77-vlk
8gb vengeance lp 1600
gtx 770 direct cu
WD caviar blue 1TB

Yup, very similar.

Fractal define R4 arctic
P8Z77-v LK
8 gb vengeance pro
hyper 212 evo
Gigabyte 770 4gb (which I'm terrified of now thanks to RoKKer)
Seagate 3TB drive
Samsung 840 pro 128gb SSD
Blu ray

mkenyon

Banned
4770k, and im using a phanteck fan for cooling.

It was stock because I really didn't feel like buying a new fan and doing the install, was lazy lol, so I decided to get a new build and just do everything with it.

Using a Asus z87-Pro, load it gets to 65c-68c, idles at 40c.

Im super lucky with it to be honest, I was reading only 20% of the 4770k can get at that speed and be cool enough to be stable.
I gotta see a screenshot of this. Not because I think you are lying, but because you are probably the only person on the planet to hit that kind of speed with those temps.

Addnan

Now in BF3 multi: Running on the "High" default I can hardly break 30fps + stuttering. I was able to do more than that on m 570.

Jesus this is frustrating as hell. Am I the only one having 7xx performance issues?

Rule out the usual stuff. Have you got overclocks running on your CPU or/and GPU overclock you did yourself? If so turn those down see if you still having problems. Make sure you have enough power etc.

RoKKeR

Rule out the usual stuff. Have you got overclocks running on your CPU or/and GPU overclock you did yourself? If so turn those down see if you still having problems. Make sure you have enough power etc.

I've "loaded optimized defaults" for my CPU, so I'm back at factory settings/clock. GPU is factory OC'd, I haven't done anything to it. 800W PSU which should be enough...

Dave_6

Wow, just noticed how bad my 7970 seems to be 'sagging'. Haven't had any issues yet but I don't like the way it looks. Is it bad for the GPU and/or the PCI slot?

RSTEIN

I've "loaded optimized defaults" for my CPU, so I'm back at factory settings/clock. GPU is factory OC'd, I haven't done anything to it. 800W PSU which should be enough...

Hopefully I'll get my build up and running tonight. If I have stuttering issues too I'll let you know. If I do then we know it's likely a GPU/driver issue.

Addnan

If everything is at stock you can try underclocking you GPU, if that helps. If that works you should return it. Card should run at clocks it shipped at.

Hopefully I'll get my build up and running tonight. If I have stuttering issues too I'll let you know. If I do then we know it's likely a GPU/driver issue.

Shouldn't do, I am running a 770 too.

RoKKeR

If everything is at stock you can try underclocking you GPU, if that helps. If that works you should return it. Card should run at clocks it shipped at.

Shouldn't do, I am running a 770 too.

How can I monitor my GPU clock speeds? I've never tinkered much with that.

LordCanti

Finally upgraded after more than a year of waffling. My system will look like this after the parts come in:

CPU: 4670k (with a Hyper 212 for cooling)
Mobo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
OS Drive: Samsung 840 250gb
Graphics: GTX 580

I'm mostly wondering if that SSD is okay, or if I should go for another model. Did I hear right that the 250gb 840's are okay, whereas the lower GB versions aren't? I can still cancel and get something else if I'm not remembering correctly. The mobo was picked because it was the cheapest combo deal on Newegg, and I'm on a fairly strict budget. I'm not a super overclocker (I guess no one really is with Haswell anyway) so I wasn't too worried about it. As long as it's stable, I'm fine. I already had the video card/PSU/case I'm using.

RoKKeR

HO. I think I found the problem. After turning on Core clock monitoring in MSI afterburner, I found that my core clock is locked at 540MHz...approximately 600MHz lower than it should be. Now that, my friends, I believe is the issue.

Now, two things:

a) How in the actual fuck did it get stuck on 540MHz?

b) How do I fix it?

EDIT: Turns out that isn't the issue, as GPU-Z says clock speeds are fine.

RSTEIN

HO. I think I found the problem. After turning on Core clock monitoring in MSI afterburner, I found that my core clock is locked at 540MHz...approximately 600MHz lower than it should be. Now that, my friends, I believe is the issue.

Now, two things:

a) How in the actual fuck did it get stuck on 540MHz?

b) How do I fix it?

You mean the GTX 770 is locked at 540 mhz or the processor?

Edit: nevermind!

RoKKeR

Oh hold on now, I think that WAS the issue!

Alright alright, so I started up Metro but this time with only GPU-Z on, not MSI Afterburner. Game runs butter smooth, solid framerates, no stuttering, the whole shebang. Check my clocks and see that the Core clock and Boost clocks are all what they should be. (1137MHz, 1189MHz, respectively) Then, I fire up MSI Afterburner and continue on playing and the stuttering and other shitty issues are back! Saw that it was limiting my clocks to 540MHz in GPU-Z, shut it off, and things were back to being smooth.

So, I think think think
hope
that what the issue was, was me wanting to monitor my FPS with MSI Afterburner, yet all the while it was limiting my card to 540Mhz, which would definitely be a cause for all of the stuttering and other horribleness that I have been experiencing.

Going to go try a few other games now but I really, really hope that is what the issue is.

Batman AC: MUCH better. Still a little bit of stuttering but not to the point where it is annoying or even noticeable for the most part. Framerates are much higher and performance is very smooth. Going to try BF3 next but I'm feeling good. Obviously the driver is still not optimal but this is a hell of a lot better than what was happening before.

So, after receiving a ton of help earlier on in this thread, I had suddenly disappeared with nary a word of thanks, unfortunately, something called "real life" happened. So thanks to mkenyon and however else may have helped me out, because I finally purchased and built my new rig. Since it has been a while, as a reminder (and because pretty soon I am going to be asking even more questions) I went with a I7 3770k, Asus Maximus V Gene, Seasonic x650 Gold, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb and a WD Caviar Black 2tb, and Corsair Vengeance 16gb RAM all wrapped up in a Fractal Design R4. I paired all that with a Dell U3011, Harman Kardon AVR430, and Martin Logan 5.1 MLT2's.

It is awesome.

I would love to be able to upload some pic's if that is ok, As well as plead some advice regarding sound cards.

Addnan

So, after receiving a ton of help earlier on in this thread, I had suddenly disappeared with nary a word of thanks, unfortunately, something called "real life" happened. So thanks to mkenyon and however else may have helped me out, because I finally purchased and built my new rig. Since it has been a while, as a reminder (and because pretty soon I am going to be asking even more questions) I went with a I7 3770k, Asus Maximus V Gene, Seasonic x650 Gold, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb and a WD Caviar Black 2tb, and Corsair Vengeance 16gb RAM all wrapped up in a Fractal Design R4. I paired all that with a Dell U3011, Harman Kardon AVR430, and Martin Logan 5.1 MLT2's.

It is awesome.

I would love to be able to upload some pic's if that is ok, As well as plead some advice regarding sound cards.
Pics are enouraged.

Wallach

Idle sensors are crap on Ivy. Load differences are normal.

Yeah, in my research I came across it being a fairly common issue.

On the plus side, my overall temps are fantastic right now. I'm not OC'd but I'm barely getting into the 50s during an IBT cook so if I want to play I've got the overhead to do it. Got my airflow handled much better when I reinstalled everything. Never did post that pic I meant to when she was finished:

xyQbcdo.jpg

If I had some rubber grommets it would be real clean except for the back case fan needing a catch, though looking at it I could probably double it back on itself and bind it at the right length maybe.

This is my first ASUS with the DCU and man, this thing really impresses me. Probably the best non-reference card design I've ever owned.

Mr. Hyde

Is ASUS VG23AH the best 1080P monitor for the price? I want a new 1080p monitor for gaming/hobby photography and I want it to be 1080p/60hz.

RoKKeR

Change back to DX9 and I bet it will run like a dream. IIRC DX11 is pretty gimped in B:AC.

Edit - Oh your clock speeds were messed? ^

I believe so. I think that running MSI Afterburner was limiting my clock speed to 540MHz. After disabling it and monitoring speeds afterwards I was getting correct speeds and much, MUCH smoother performance across the board. What I would expect from a GPU upgrade. Metro ran great, Batman did as well. There is a small amount of stuttering between them but I'll go ahead and put that on 320.18 for the time being.

Battlefield 3 is still iffy. My framerates with the game maxed are wonderful, but I'm getting moderate stutter that is really annoying. I've read a bunch that BF3 is one of the games most effected by 320.18's issues, so hopefully that can be ironed out. Having everything maxed well over 60fps is awesome though.

Still testing through games but I think that was the issue. Now we just need new drivers to smoothen out everything. For anybody else who has a 7xx, would you say this sounds about right? Solid performance across the board with perhaps some stuttering issues in a few games?

RoKKeR

Gentlemen it does exist. The 4GB GTX 770 hath arrived:

Scary part is my house power turned off then on when I plugged in my PC 0_o.

PLEASE post pretty much everything haha. We have the exact same card so I want to hear about your performance in certain games with 320.18. I essentially have really solid performance across the board, with the exception of stuttering in BF3 and a tiny bit in Batman: AC. Keep us posted!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The last of the pieces have arrived. Only thing left are the cables, which will hopefully arrive tomorrow! Woo! That's a great accomplishment. I'm sure there will be some knick-knacks here and there I need to pick up; but the main components are locked in (or at least, I think they are).

9101655473_84730cefda_c.jpg

9103884790_e8be2da168_c.jpg

9101654719_1da532b7fd_c.jpg

9101653917_4baf16582e_c.jpg

9103885226_51f0677eed_c.jpg

How about those new Primochill Rigid compression fittings for their acrylic tubing? Unfortunately, there's really zero reviews out there, and very few impressions. I went in blind; but I know I want to go with acrylic tube, I don't like the looks of the stuff currently out there, and I don't trust the Bitspower stuff.

However, I gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed. For all the hype and excitement, and explicit comments that the tube is "locked" into the fitting - it's really not THAT super secure? The tube "fits" into the fitting pretty well, and is snug. And the fitting itself and the O-ring are nice and tight. Once everything is in the case, it'll probably be fine. But I gotta say, I can easily "yank" the tube out of a very tight fitting. Sure, it take a bit of force - more than I expect the system would ever see - but it's certainly far from "locked" in. I wish I had more experience with other tubing/water cooling to compare - but being my first go-round, I can't really compare it to anything. I do have a push fitting in my garage I ordered a few weeks ago and some E22 pipe - I gotta find it and compare.

That said, it does look nice:

9103885566_6d892d2b4a_c.jpg

And bending it? Well - I think I'm gonna have to order that rubber stuff from somewhere. Anyone got a quick link? Otherwise I'll go digging. I hit a hardware store and bought two sets of electrical wire:

9101655119_2ac98ed5f3_c.jpg

I quickly found out the first wire was too thin, and so my bend was crappy:

9101653319_b71dcf70ee_c.jpg

But the other wire was too thick... However, a little olive oil made it fit:

9101652949_04b9d58566_c.jpg

However, my bend still sucks:

9101652623_f3ea7a841e_c.jpg

It's BETTER - but far from what I want. Hmm.... I don't know what to do. I'll need to keep experimenting for sure - I'm sure I'll come up with something; but I only had about 30 minutes to toy around today.

Gotta go to friend's wedding rehearsal in a few, and then the wedding is happening pretty much all day tomorrow. So I'm hoping I can *maybe* spend a few hours getting some stuff laid out on Sunday. We shall see...

Mad Max

I gotta see a screenshot of this. Not because I think you are lying, but because you are probably the only person on the planet to hit that kind of speed with those temps.

Maybe he didn't stress using avx, that could easily add another 15 to 20°C to those temps.

Or if he has a really good chip he might be able to reach that at a very low voltage, which could keep temps down.

Still I have to say that my temps are closer to 90 at those 4.7Ghz with my 4670K, and that's with 600mm of rad surface :p (not that it really matters in this case but still).

scogoth

Looks amazing, I'm sure the bending will get better. Took me awhile to get sleeving to look half decent. Just to compare the tightness of acrylic vs regular tubing, I have to say with monsoon fittings I couldn't pull out tubing unless I ripped the tubing.

PLEASE post pretty much everything haha. We have the exact same card so I want to hear about your performance in certain games with 320.18. I essentially have really solid performance across the board, with the exception of stuttering in BF3 and a tiny bit in Batman: AC. Keep us posted!
GUYS I AM IN GAMING NIRVANA. I am finally out of the GTX 570 gaming ghetto and it feels like I have been reborn at 60fps.

I did a fresh install of those drivers and played a bit of BF3 and Natural Selection 2 all at the highest settings at 1080p. Buttery smooth and no stutters from what I could tell. The only downside was my house's power turning off and then on when I first booted by PC. I will let you know if my gaming experience changes.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Skel1ingt0n:

I may not know a lot about watercooling. (But a little, I used to run a Zalman Reserator a long time ago)

But I do know about pipe bending. (from welding pipes)

Are you trying to bend manually by hand, or are you using a handheld or tabletop pipe bender like this?

ae235

If you're trying to do it by hand without a tool via just a vice / clamp you'll never get a clean bend, and you'll waste more tube than you really want to trying.

Similarly you really don't want to use a rubber insert as the bending guide, it still has too much flex and you'll end up with knees in the bend like those you have pictured above. Instead you should get a pipe bending spring like this one, they are available in different diameters and have no radial flex so your bend will be clean and knee-less. Both the benders and bending springs should be available from a DIY / Plumber supplies store, or online at Screwfix.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I'm sorry, but your "But I do know about pipe bending" is the best thing I've read all day :)

I smiled whilst typing it to be honest =D

RoKKeR

GUYS I AM IN GAMING NIRVANA. I am finally out of the GTX 570 gaming ghetto and it feels like I have been reborn at 60fps.

I did a fresh install of those drivers and played a bit of BF3 and Natural Selection 2 all at the highest settings at 1080p. Buttery smooth and no stutters from what I could tell. The only downside was my house's power turning off and then on when I first booted by PC. I will let you know if my gaming experience changes.

Shit. So the stuttering is an issue on my end. I have no clue what could be causing it. What's your CPU? I tried OC'ing mine last weekend but only had so-so results, and I'm worried that fucked something up.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Skel1ingt0n:

I may not know a lot about watercooling. (But a little, I used to run a Zalman Reserator a long time ago)

Are you trying to bend manually by hand, or are you using a handheld or tabletop pipe bender like this?

ae235

If you're trying to do it by hand without a tool via just a vice / clamp you'll never get a clean bend, and you'll waste more tube than you really want to trying.

Similarly you really don't want to use a rubber insert as the bending guide, it still has too much flex and you'll end up with knees in the bend like those you have pictured above. Instead you should get a pipe bending spring like this one, they are available in different diameters and have no flex so your bend will be clean and knee-less. Both the benders and bending springs should be available from a DIY / Plumber supplies store, or online at Screwfix.

I was toying with a vice/clamp, but thought maybe that was over-doing it for acrylic, as I've only ever seen it done with copper. You've convinced me - sounds like you know your ****. I'll grab one asap and try again. What do you think - do I put it in the clamp when still rigid, heat it up in the tool, and as it begins to meld I slowly bend with the clamp? Then remove heat and hold. Does that sound like the right process.

On the Primochill videos, he uses a rubber filler thing; but yeah, that springs seems to make more sense. In my head my brain won't let me think of the logic of how it pulls out once the pipe is bent - but I'm sure it probably works fine. Think they'd have all this stuff at a Home Depot or Lowes?

Thanks for the input!! Appreciated.

Shit. So the stuttering is an issue on my end. I have no clue what could be causing it. What's your CPU?
I have a i7 3770k. I doubt it is your CPU though. I only played for 5 minutes, I am still giddy as a school girl checking out all my games at the moment. I will let you know if I it happens during a more extended session of playing.

Osiris

I was toying with a vice/clamp, but thought maybe that was over-doing it for acrylic, as I've only ever seen it done with copper. You've convinced me - sounds like you know your ****. I'll grab one asap and try again. What do you think - do I put it in the clamp when still rigid, heat it up in the tool, and as it begins to meld I slowly bend with the clamp? Then remove heat and hold. Does that sound like the right process.

On the Primochill videos, he uses a rubber filler thing; but yeah, that springs seems to make more sense. In my head my brain won't let me think of the logic of how it pulls out once the pipe is bent - but I'm sure it probably works fine. Think they'd have all this stuff at a Home Depot or Lowes?

Thanks for the input!! Appreciated.

It's not usually an issue under / up to 90 degrees, you obviously can't go over 90 degrees this way though, and you may need to lubricate it fairly heavily, you'll need to research a safe lube to use with the acrylic and then clean it out well afterwards. Even if the spring is not suitable you'll do better with the bending tool than without. Here's a vid showing it being done on metal even without an insert. (Although a tripod mount bender like this is overkill, but the method is the same with the handheld.)

OMG, tools, pipe bending, lube and safe withdrawals, I feel like I'm stuck in a Carry On movie, ooh er missus!

mkenyon

Banned
Skel1ingt0n:

ae235

Similarly you really don't want to use a rubber insert as the bending guide, it still has too much flex and you'll end up with knees in the bend like those you have pictured above. Instead you should get a pipe bending spring like this one, they are available in different diameters and have no radial flex so your bend will be clean and knee-less. Both the benders and bending springs should be available from a DIY / Plumber supplies store, or online at Screwfix.
Awesome post, ty for info. I'm helping another friend with that acrylic tube right now, should come in handy.

I think you might appreciate this post of mine from my build log.

Osiris

Awesome post, ty for info. I'm helping another friend with that acrylic tube right now, should come in handy.

I think you might appreciate this post of mine from my build log.

Ahh your log is great because it reminded me of another really important point.

You have to use the right sized insert on the tool for the diameter of pipe being bent!

And the lack of adjustability on the super small handhelds is a major drawback to the long-arm benders, which have different inserts for each diameter of pipe. (This is what caused that flat spot in your pic, there was a mismatch between the bender insert diameter and the pipe diameter.)

Another point about using the spring, you only need it to support where the bend occurs, don't stick it all he way through the pipe, it'll never come out, instead have the majority on one piece of the pipe with the spring going no further than 1/2" to 1" past the bend.

mkenyon

Banned
Ahh your log is great because it reminded me of another really important point.

You have to use the right sized insert on the tool for the diameter of pipe being bent!

And the lack of adjustability on the super small handhelds is a major drawback to the long-arm benders, which have different inserts for each diameter of pipe. (This is what caused that flat spot in your pic, there was a mismatch between the bender insert diameter and the pipe diameter.)
Nah, it was the same size actually. The good bend on the chrome plated pipe was with the same benders, so it was just technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom