• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys! So, I had this build put together by a few people on here & on Reddit, but I'm wondering if there's anything anyone on here would change.

I want a smallish case that's easy to bring to college & friends houses, but I'm open to other options. I also want a video card that'll be able to run new games on max settings for the next few years, but I'm not sure if this version of the 970 will suffice.

So please, go ahead & share your input!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QV8LHx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QV8LHx/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($321.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $996.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-21 20:02 EDT-0400

clem84

Gold Member
I have just purchased a 4TB HDD. I installed it into the case. I used the 6gb/s sata ports used for data drives which is exactly what this is. When I booted win7 it told me "device driver installed for new hardware", or something to that effect. Only problem is that it doesn't show up in "my computer" on the desktop. I can't access it. I went to device manager and it is there in the list of HDDs and the driver is installed properly apparently.

Any idea what could be the problem? Is it because it's a new HDD and it hasn't been partitioned or formatted yet?

kennah

Well I did the math. I averaged the last ten sold listings in North America for the original Gtx Titan and that came up to $838 CDN. Converting the CDN to USD came up to $667 USD. Knocking off 20% of that price comes up to $533 USD. That price still seems a little steep.

I would rather sell the card to someone of GAF than list it on ebay or locally through Kijiji. I guess I can give it a try here on GAF at that price and see if people get insulted?
Where in Canada...

Devildoll

man and there I was all happy with my new PC but then it started to make this really annoying high pitched noise when under heavy load (like BF4 with everything cranked up), some general listening around and I think it's the PSU (some cooler master G450M) and some googling said it's "coil whine", thought i could ignore it but nope, hear this shit even through headphones and it's really annoying -.-

best to just return it and get one that won't drive me mad right?

Biggest culprits are power-supplies and graphics cards.
but when you say it goes trough your headphones, do you mean that the coilwhine comes through your audio, or just that it is so loud that it penetrates your headphones?

can anybody help?

I'm still using a dlink dir 655, and i dont really know about the current router market.
But the guys over at wirecutter did a roundup recently, might give you some ideas.

RGM79

Ah yeah, I'm in germany. No preferences, as long as it doesn't involve returns being annoying :)

I don't know what the return situation is like over there, so if you have any local retailers' websites I can look at, I don't mind listing a build for you. I'll just make you a parts list off PCPartPicker now, though.

One thing to note - the Node 304 case is for mITX motherboards so it won't work with any mATX motherboard. The cheapest compatible motherboards that will fit in the Node 304 cost around 80 Euros. I don't know if you didn't list a price for the Node 304 because you already own it or you accidentally left it off.

I'm going to assume you can still change the case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (€67.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€51.71 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€36.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€74.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€49.90 @ Caseking)
Other: BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€69.90)
Other: Crucial CT128MX100SSD1 (€62.90)
Total: €414.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-22 01:09 CET+0100

I'd spend a little bit more for the ASRock H81M motherboard because it supports front USB 3.0 ports.

Hello guys! So, I had this build put together by a few people on here & on Reddit, but I'm wondering if there's anything anyone on here would change.

I want a smallish case that's easy to bring to college & friends houses, but I'm open to other options. I also want a video card that'll be able to run new games on max settings for the next few years, but I'm not sure if this version of the 970 will suffice.

So please, go ahead & share your input!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QV8LHx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QV8LHx/by_merchant/

Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($321.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $996.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-21 20:02 EDT-0400

Looks mostly fine, but I'd change a few things. There's faster 1866MHz RAM for a few dollars more. I recommend the new EVGA GTX 970 SSC which has higher performance, an enhanced cooler, and semi-fanless mode for silent operation. The Antec HCG-750M ($65 after $20 rebate) is cheaper and should still fit in the case. Nothing wrong the the 620 watt model though, it's just more expensive than the 750 watt model, but is shorter and could fit better.

Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec HCG M 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1001.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-21 20:28 EDT-0400

Huh, I didn't actually save any money. Just better graphics card, RAM, and power supply for $5 more than the initial build. I don't see any cheaper decent cheaper power supplies that are shorter.

I'd echo RGM79's thoughts mostly here and although I think the N200 is a solid case for the price, going full ATX might be worth considering.

Unless you have a particular need for CUDA with your 960, I honestly feel the R9 280X is a better choice and it represents better value for money.

Also - no SSD?

I would suggest going for something like this:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-radeon-r9-290-windforce-db-99167-1479.htm?affiliateid=7474144

It's $30 more, but far faster and has a 512-bit bus which won't strangle the 4GB memory. The 128-bit bus on the 960 will bottleneck that 4GB hard.

He stated some time ago that he needs an Nvidia card with 4GB VRAM for work purposes. It was easy to miss, though.

I suppose he could move up to the GTX 970 with my build and it'd cost about $1170, same price as what he had before. Dunno if the GTX 970 VRAM issue will affect his work if he needs to actually use all 4GB, though.

I have just purchased a 4TB HDD. I installed it into the case. I used the 6gb/s sata ports used for data drives which is exactly what this is. When I booted win7 it told me "device driver installed for new hardware", or something to that effect. Only problem is that it doesn't show up in "my computer" on the desktop. I can't access it. I went to device manager and it is there in the list of HDDs and the driver is installed properly apparently.

Any idea what could be the problem? Is it because it's a new HDD and it hasn't been partitioned or formatted yet?
What motherboard do you have and which SATA port did you plug it into? What was the new hardware driver for that was just installed?

Sorta sounds like you plugged the hard drive into a RAID port.

Yudoken

Quick question, do you think buying two 970 for the next 3-4 years makes sense for someone who wants to play on stable 60 on 1440p on most modern and current games?
I play on a 1080p tv and keep Vsync on (but change pre-rendered frames to one which does heavily reduce input lag and works great) and would like to know if it would work with two 970's too.
I also like to play GTA IV heavily modded, with one 970 I had about 35-45 vsynced with a little above 1080p downsampling and medium-high settings, would a second 970 would improve this to 50-60?
I currently returned my G1 970 because I was heavily disappointed of the oc capabilities (rev 1.1 was worse than 1.0 and I got a bad oc card) and I'm gonna buy two of "Galax GeForce GTX 970 EX OC " (they have a similar high factory oc like the G1 but for a lower price), sell the Witcher 3 codes for about 70-80€ which would reduce the total cost for around 580-90€.
I also save additionally 40€ from my returned G1, so it's a total cost about 510-520€ for two 970's with a factory boost clock of 1317MHz (which I'm gonna try to oc to stable ~1400).
I don't have a problem to disable AA and some settings to stay on 60fps 1440p, but does my current setup hold up?

My current pc:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Fractal design xl r2
(gonna switch sooner or later to the fractal design define r5 or H440 - NZXT because the xl r2 is too big and heavy)

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4,5ghz with ARCTIC Freezer XTREME Rev. 2

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (SLI ready)

8gb 1333 ram (2x2gb Samsung, 1x4gb GEIL)

PSU: Corsaird RM 750

SSD: MX100 512gb

HDD: 1TB Seagate (should be 5200rpm)

clem84

Gold Member
What motherboard do you have and which SATA port did you plug it into? What was the new hardware driver for that was just installed?

Asus P8Z77-V PRO

asus-p8z77v-pro_4.jpg

White ports are for primary drives. I have an SSD with win7 plugged in the top one

The dark blue ones, the manual says these are for data drives only. I have a 500GB plugged into the top one (working fine), and the new 4TB drive plugged into the bottom one. Like I said, it's there in device manager but it doesn't show up in "my computer"

The 4 other light blue ports are 3gb satas and I use them for optical drives. No problem there.

The first time win7 booted it said device installed for "WDC WD40EZRX-00SPEB0 ATA Device", which is my new drive. But I still can't use it.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Sorry, I also forgot to ask you what your budget was. Also, what are the rest of your system specs? It'll be best to know for the sake of compatibility, but I assume normal ATX case? Here's what I would recommend.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $544.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-21 19:31 EDT-0400

You could also drop down to the i5 4690K to save some money and move up to 16GB, although I wonder if your 3D modelling programs will run better with a 4790K instead.

A cheaper motherboard alternative would be the Asus Z97-E ($109), decent price for the specs and brand, and it seems to be relatively new.

If you do want to get 16GB of RAM, then consider these two. Ares is a more compact design, while Sniper has a larger heatsink that may get in the way of the CPU cooler. Both are from Newegg, although you'll need that $10 discount code for the lower price.

16GB G.Skill Ares 2133MHz RAM for $105

16GB G.Skill Sniper 2400MHz RAM for $105

For the parts listed I was hoping to price it within the $500 range and I think the biggest roadblock there is the Intel Core i7-4790K. Of course I really don't want to be overly cheap and skimp because I want this machine to last me a decent while, so I'm back and forth on what to do.

doublefrost

Neo Member
The first time win7 booted it said device installed for "WDC WD40EZRX-00SPEB0 ATA Device", which is my new drive. But I still can't use it.

You need to run disk management in windows (just search for diskmgmt) and actually assign the drive a volume and drive letter (ie. C: ) for it to be usable.

LilJoka

Asus P8Z77-V PRO

asus-p8z77v-pro_4.jpg

White ports are for primary drives. I have an SSD with win7 plugged in the top one

The dark blue ones, the manual says these are for data drives only. I have a 500GB plugged into the top one (working fine), and the new 4TB drive plugged into the bottom one. Like I said, it's there in device manager but it doesn't show up in "my computer"

The 4 other light blue ports are 3gb satas and I use them for optical drives. No problem there.

You just need to initialise the drive.

Go to start menu, type partition, select format and partition drives.
It'll ask you to initialise the drove, choose GUID. Now look for the drive it should appear as unallocated in the bottom half of the screen. Right click and format the drive. Follow the wizard and it'll appear in "my computer" at the end.

clem84

Gold Member
Thanks so much!

edit:

One question, when I initialized the disk, it split my 4TB in 2. It says "2048GB unallocated" and "1678.02GB unallocated". Is there a way to have just 1 partition?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
the pinouts that you are describing when talking about the connector from the powersupply is that of a PCI-e 8pin, which are used to power graphics cards, not cpus.

nrTx0yZ.png

it says CPU on the powersuplpy cables.

I just don't know why they are different from the MB

RGM79

Quick question, do you think buying two 970 for the next 3-4 years makes sense for someone who wants to play on stable 60 on 1440p on most modern and current games?
I play on a 1080p tv and keep Vsync on (but change pre-rendered frames to one which does heavily reduce input lag and works great) and would like to know if it would work with two 970's too.
I also like to play GTA IV heavily modded, with one 970 I had about 35-45 vsynced with a little above 1080p downsampling and medium-high settings, would a second 970 would improve this to 50-60?
I currently returned my G1 970 because I was heavily disappointed of the oc capabilities (rev 1.1 was worse than 1.0 and I got a bad oc card) and I'm gonna buy two of "Galax GeForce GTX 970 EX OC " (they have a similar high factory oc like the G1 but for a lower price), sell the Witcher 3 codes for about 70-80€ which would reduce the total cost for around 580-90€.
I also save additionally 40€ from my returned G1, so it's a total cost about 510-520€ for two 970's with a factory boost clock of 1317MHz (which I'm gonna try to oc to stable ~1400).
I don't have a problem to disable AA and some settings to stay on 60fps 1440p, but does my current setup hold up?

My current pc:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Fractal design xl r2
(gonna switch sooner or later to the fractal design define r5 or H440 - NZXT because the xl r2 is too big and heavy)

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4,5ghz with ARCTIC Freezer XTREME Rev. 2

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (SLI ready)

8gb 1333 ram (2x2gb Samsung, 1x4gb GEIL)

PSU: Corsaird RM 750

SSD: MX100 512gb

HDD: 1TB Seagate (should be 5200rpm)

Seems like you have this planned out. I wonder if you can actually sell the Witcher 3 codes for more than 70 Euros, I didn't think game codes would sell for as much as retail copies even at launch. Your 2600K won't bottleneck SLI GTX 970s.

That said, you should be wary of voltage settings and actual voltages on your ASRock Z77 motherboard. All of them seem to have an issue where they have faulty voltage detection and may be applying more voltage than it actually says it is.

ombz

Has anyone have had a hard drive longer than three years? I've had mine since 2011 and I think it's starting to crap out. Fortunately it's not my main drove but Files will disappear and reappear when I restart.

Enosh

Biggest culprits are power-supplies and graphics cards.
but when you say it goes trough your headphones, do you mean that the coilwhine comes through your audio, or just that it is so loud that it penetrates your headphones?
I meant that i can hear the whine despite having headphones on and music or a game on it's just that loud

oh well, will take it back next week because this shit is unbearable...

Yudoken

Seems like you have this planned out. I wonder if you can actually sell the Witcher 3 codes for more than 70 Euros, I didn't think game codes would sell for as much as retail copies even at launch. Your 2600K won't bottleneck SLI GTX 970s.

That said, you should be wary of voltage settings and actual voltages on your ASRock Z77 motherboard. All of them seem to have an issue where they have faulty voltage detection and may be applying more voltage than it actually says it is.

I already found a buyer for 40€ and I don't think I'm gonna have problems selling the second code for about 35-40€ =).
I also did this with the Ubisoft code on amazon but the fees were so high that I got about 35€ on it.
So that's looks like ok but now you scare me with your news about faulty voltage detection on my new motherboard, I've already updated the bios to the newest one and I'm gonna test it when my new card arrives next week. The second card have to wait a little until my paycheck arrives (around the 5th April).
My current fixed Vcore for the cpu is about 1,305, on stress tests it just gets about 61 Celsius hot but stable (with disable energy saving settings, they caused more trouble than worth it) and I'm gonna test it a bit more just to be sure.
Thanks for your help and the info about the problem!

knitoe

Thanks so much!

edit:

One question, when I initialized the disk, it split my 4TB in 2. It says "2048GB unallocated" and "1678.02GB unallocated". Is there a way to have just 1 partition?

It split them into MBR partitions because the max size can only go up to 3TB. Delete them and reinitializes as a GPT partition.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Motherfucker.

My R9 280x died today.
My motherboard is broken as well.

I get an USB overcurrent. I localized the problem.

The fucking USB bios flashback port.

Motherboard is an ASUS M5A97 R 2.0
So much for revisions.

Is there anything I can do? I looked and the pins don't seem to be bent, hell I didn't even use the port out of fear of breaking it. I've disconnected everything that isn't needed and put the mobo on my wooden desk.

No dice.

It seems I am cursed with mobos and gpus breaking. It's why I recently upgraded lol. I wasn't overclocking anything either so worst case scenario I get new parts through warranty.

Edit I also tried clearing the CMOS.

Fixing bent cpu pins was easier to deal with than this shit.

LaffTrack

Neo Member
Lol, NOoooo, I just can't pick up a 500$ video card right now. As tempting as it is, I'll grab a Titan in two years.

But if you were local, then.. how could I say no... :p

Well I can't justify an upgrade before selling my old card lol. How about you make an offer?

Helznicht

Whoo Hoo!! First post from my newly built rig.

i5 3.5 ghz
8 m ram
ssd 256
1 tb storage drive
GTX 970 (MSI)
Gigabyte z97x mb
win 8.1

Still doing updates, but feels good, :)

I don't know what the return situation is like over there, so if you have any local retailers' websites I can look at, I don't mind listing a build for you. I'll just make you a parts list off PCPartPicker now, though.

One thing to note - the Node 304 case is for mITX motherboards so it won't work with any mATX motherboard. The cheapest compatible motherboards that will fit in the Node 304 cost around 80 Euros. I don't know if you didn't list a price for the Node 304 because you already own it or you accidentally left it off.

I'm going to assume you can still change the case.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (€67.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€51.71 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€36.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€74.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€49.90 @ Caseking)
Other: BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€69.90)
Other: Crucial CT128MX100SSD1 (€62.90)
Total: €414.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-22 01:09 CET+0100

I'd spend a little bit more for the ASRock H81M motherboard because it supports front USB 3.0 ports.

Looks mostly fine, but I'd change a few things. There's faster 1866MHz RAM for a few dollars more. I recommend the new EVGA GTX 970 SSC which has higher performance, an enhanced cooler, and semi-fanless mode for silent operation. The Antec HCG-750M ($65 after $20 rebate) is cheaper and should still fit in the case. Nothing wrong the the 620 watt model though, it's just more expensive than the 750 watt model, but is shorter and could fit better.

Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec HCG M 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1001.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-21 20:28 EDT-0400

Huh, I didn't actually save any money. Just better graphics card, RAM, and power supply for $5 more than the initial build. I don't see any cheaper decent cheaper power supplies that are shorter.

He stated some time ago that he needs an Nvidia card with 4GB VRAM for work purposes. It was easy to miss, though.

I suppose he could move up to the GTX 970 with my build and it'd cost about $1170, same price as what he had before. Dunno if the GTX 970 VRAM issue will affect his work if he needs to actually use all 4GB, though.

Appreciate your input, man! Is there another case you'd recommend instead of the ITX? The more I think about that case, the more I realize there's probably more cons than pros, so I'm totally open to other case recommendations. Thank you so much again for your help!

AsfaeksBR

Hey guys, how are you?

I'm thinking of biulding a mid-tier PC (don't want to spend too much, I'll use it more for Simulators and some exclusives), and here's what I currently have in mind:

Intel Core i5-4440 6MB 3.1GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5
ASUS Mini ATX Intel LGA 1150 B85M-E/BR
2x Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Seagate SATA III Barracuda 7200 1TB
Corsair WaterCooler Hydro - H60
EVGA Hadron

From reading the Small Form Factor Build Guide, I understand it will fit perfectly. But I still have a few questions that I hope you guys can answer:

- Will the Motherboard be capable of handling this set? And will it fit? (I think it will, but asking doesn't hurt)
- Does the PSU included in the Hadron (500W Gold) supplies enough energy to the VGA/Processor/Motherboard?
- Is the H60 a good cooler for this set?
- Do I need to buy extra fans or will it be cool enough?

That's it for now.
Thanks.

Yudoken

Hey guys, how are you?

I'm thinking of biulding a mid-tier PC (don't want to spend too much, I'll use it more for Simulators and some exclusives), and here's what I currently have in mind:

Intel Core i5-4440 6MB 3.1GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5
ASUS Mini ATX Intel LGA 1150 B85M-E/BR
2x Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Seagate SATA III Barracuda 7200 1TB
Corsair WaterCooler Hydro - H60
EVGA Hadron

From reading the Small Form Factor Build Guide, I understand it will fit perfectly. But I still have a few questions that I hope you guys can answer:

- Will the Motherboard be capable of handling this set? And will it fit? (I think it will, but asking doesn't hurt)
- Does the PSU included in the Hadron (500W Gold) supplies enough energy to the VGA/Processor/Motherboard?
- Is the H60 a good cooler for this set?
- Do I need to buy extra fans or will it be cool enough?

Your cpu and mainboard are compatible and should work fine.
500w will be enough for one card and the rest, if you have only one normal gpu 500w is enough and if you have two you need at least 750w..
Watercooling your cpu is not really necessary if you don't overclock it (I would even say it's not worth buying a water cooler if you don't oc).
I would rather buy an SSD (like an MX100 128gb) for your windows partition, it's worth every penny and should be included in every build nowadays.
It boosts up everything and once you go with an SSD, you never go back.
Just make sure you only install necessary stuff on the SSD if you don't buy a big one, most games don't benefit from it besides faster loading times (like in Battlefield).
You probably don't need extra fans, one on the back and one in the front is everything you need.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
No one? Lol.

How easy are Asus and XFX to deal with if you're in Europe? I'll need both GPU and MoBo replaced. Both are less than 4 months old.

MoonGred

Hey guys

I'm in the market for a new monitor, I was doubting whether or not to get a ROG Swift, but in the end the TN panel made me decide not to get one.

Preferably I'd like the following:
-1440p (I'd consider 4k, but only have a 970 and don't know what 1080/1440p looks like on -a 4k monitor)
-IPS
-60hz
-Lowish latency - I'm not to sure what's considered acceptable latency wise, I don't play games competitively apart from the occasional game of CS
-Cheaper than the ROG would be a massive bonus as well

AsfaeksBR

Your cpu and mainboard are compatible and should work fine.
500w will be enough for one card and the rest, if you have only one normal gpu 500w is enough and if you have two you need at least 750w..
Watercooling your cpu is not really necessary if you don't overclock it (I would even say it's not worth buying a water cooler if you don't oc).
I would rather buy an SSD (like an MX100 128gb) for your windows partition, it's worth every penny and should be included in every build nowadays.
It boosts up everything and once you go with an SSD, you never go back.
Just make sure you only install necessary stuff on the SSD if you don't buy a big one, most games don't benefit from it besides faster loading times (like in Battlefield).
You probably don't need extra fans, one on the back and one in the front is everything you need.

Great to hear it.
Since you said that WaterCooler ain't worth it, you got any recommendations of coolers I should get? Or will it be OK without any cooler at all? Won't it overheat?
And is a 64Gb SSD enough for installing Windows 7? (Or 10, maybe I'll upgrade)

Devildoll

it says CPU on the powersuplpy cables.

I just don't know why they are different from the MB

Hmm yeah, don't know why the 500B has that kind of pinout on its EPS 12 volt cables, but as long as they fit, i guess it's fine.

No one? Lol.

How easy are Asus and XFX to deal with if you're in Europe? I'll need both GPU and MoBo replaced. Both are less than 4 months old.

I'd check with the store you bought it in first, might be faster than going all the way to the manufacturer.
But it depends on how cool the store is, and what kind of responsibility retailers have in that particular country.

Hey guys

I'm in the market for a new monitor, I was doubting whether or not to get a ROG Swift, but in the end the TN panel made me decide not to get one.

Preferably I'd like the following:
-1440p (I'd consider 4k, but only have a 970 and don't know what 1080/1440p looks like on -a 4k monitor)
-IPS
-60hz
-Lowish latency - I'm not to sure what's considered acceptable latency wise, I don't play games competitively apart from the occasional game of CS
-Cheaper than the ROG would be a massive bonus as well

Have you looked at the Acer Predator XB270HU?

It's not cheap though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom