• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

so i built my pc a couple months ago but recently completely removed my GPU as i was having troubles with drivers. i booted up and had my monitor connected to the motherboard HDMI to use integrated graphics.

my screen is covered with bright green flickering pixels. i updated the intel drivers but nothing changed. i'm guessing it's more likely a faulty motherboard than CPU? the only other issue i've had with my pc is distorted sound (only happened twice so far).

i just want to get some thoughts before i decide what to do next. there is no way for me to test the CPU in another system. probably will try get a replacement motherboard.
I hate to ask the obvious, but you've tried different cables or a different port?

XBP

Hey, does anyone know why MSI afterburner's CPU temps are always much lower than what other programs report? e.g.

W2AoNla.png

Is overclocking the CPU really worth all the extra cost (CPU, MOBO, Fan)?

I mean I looked at many benchmarks and there seem to be almost no difference and even underclocked CPUs still perform nearly identical.

What benchmarks?

If the task is CPU bound then to say an underclocked CPU performs nearly identical to an overclocked one is nonsense. If we're talking about a game that is being bottlenecked by the GPU, then yes, overclocking is not going to yield much. If you're doing something like video encoding then that's likely to translate into a near 1:1 increase in speed.

Cost being worth it depends on the amount of use you get out of it, and whether you're prepared to deal with the setup and maintenance.

KePoW

Banned
What benchmarks?

If the task is CPU bound then to say an underclocked CPU performs nearly identical to an overclocked one is nonsense. If we're talking about a game that is being bottlenecked by the GPU, then yes, overclocking is not going to yield much. If you're doing something like video encoding then that's likely to translate into a near 1:1 increase in speed.

Cost being worth it depends on the amount of use you get out of it, and whether you're prepared to deal with the setup and maintenance.

are there games nowdays that are strictly bottlenecked by CPU though?

seems like most modern games at high resolutions are GPU restricted??

luffeN

This build should be in line with what your friend wants.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€269.48 @ Home of Hardware DE)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€33.20 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€81.19 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€68.39 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€78.91 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 970 4GB JetStream Video Card (€350.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case (€38.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (€60.16 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €981.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 19:25 CEST+0200

Unfortunately, it wasn't possible to fit in an SSD. Perhaps if your friend were to reuse his old case and drop down to a cheaper graphics card like the R9 290, there would be room for an SSD like the Crucial BX100 (€97). Perhaps you may also be able to find local deals, as PCPartPicker's German database is not very expansive, it mainly covers prices from amazon.de.

That said, prices are still likely to change in one month's time. The parts list above should be taken as a rough guideline for now, you should recheck prices about a week before you plan to buy.
Thank you!

The pcpartpicker link says "The Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum." Should I be worried?

are there games nowdays that are strictly bottlenecked by CPU though?

seems like most modern games at high resolutions are GPU restricted??

From what I can tell, generally speaking it's the GPU that limits most modern titles. It's games that want the fastest single thread they can get (which is becoming more and more rare) that tend to be CPU bound. Though there are a few exceptions where games are CPU hungry and aggressively multithreaded.

The point I was making is that devoid of context, claims like "overclocking makes no difference" are nonsense. It's exactly the same (and as stupid) as saying a faster processor is useless, when it clearly isn't (providing that power is actually useful, and you're not say, just web browsing).

Jarrod357

Neo Member
Not all GTX 960s do. That black and white MSI Armor 2X model you listed doesn't. MSI's other model, the red and black Twin Frozr has a zero fan speed mode and it is currently $190 at Newegg, although it doesn't come with the Witcher 3 game code. Certain Gigabyte models, the Asus Strix, and some other lesser known brands have passive fan modes as listed here. I also believe certain EVGA models (the ones with the "db inverter" feature) also have silent modes.

The Asus Strix model is pretty decent, it has a very high factory overclock (up to ~1.31GHz). If you want a slightly cheaper alternative, there's the EVGA ACX2.0+ model for $195 after $10 rebate which isn't clocked as high (just 1.12~1.17GHz) but it does come with the Witcher 3 as well. You could overclock the graphics card yourself if you like, although manual overclocking results can vary.

Do you live near a Microcenter? They offer the 4690K and a motherboard for just $250, the catch is that it's only available in-store.

The best answer to your situation might be to wait it out. It's hard to recommend either upgrade without knowing how well the Witcher 3 runs. Something to consider in the meantime would be overclocking your processor if you haven't already done that. The cost of a decent CPU cooler isn't too much and could help alleviate potential CPU bottlenecking, depending on the games you play. If you ever decide to upgrade to a better processor, you can always carry over the new heatsink as most kits come with mounting parts for both AMD and Intel systems.

Thanks a lot for your help. I do live close to microcenter and I am definitely going to get the processor from there if I go that route. I have my 1090t overclocked already with a cooler master v6 air cooler. I'm just concerned that the 1090t will bottleneck a 970 and I won't get much improvement. Then if I keep the 6950's and get the 4690 I'll be GPU limited. I think I'll wait and see what the benchmarks look like.

RGM79

Thank you!

The pcpartpicker link says "The Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum." Should I be worried?

No, it's still compatible. It might just run a little warmer, as you can see in this Puget Systems test involving RAM of varying voltages. Nothing to be worried about.

In the time that has passed since I made the parts list, prices have already changed. That particular Corsair XMS3 RAM is no longer the cheapest or best option. I imagine that by the time your friend is ready to purchase the parts, the parts list will be different again. Don't worry about specific choices, until it actually is the time to purchase the parts.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Hey fellas, can you cast your very experienced eyes over the following build and tell me if anything is sticking out horribly as a poor choice?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WHjsCJ

background, my nephew wants a gaming PC and he is obviously budgetted as teenagers tend to be.

I'm kind of gut instinct to recommend him head more of an i3 direction due to well, the future of AMD looking pretty shit... but I have very good experience with AMD CPUs myself so...

I don't know if this thread is the right place to ask my question.

I wanted to use my monitor for my WiiU and PS4 and wanted to make the whole experience as smooth as possible.
The issue is that I lack a HDMI switch and I cannot use my set of loudspeakers on my WiiU due to a lack of Audio In port (on the console). Is there a device out there what would allow me select my source on the fly and make sure the sound comes out of my speakers as well ?

LilJoka

Hey, does anyone know why MSI afterburner's CPU temps are always much lower than what other programs report? e.g.

W2AoNla.png

I think this is a Haswell E CPU, therefore MSI AB is using the wrong TJ Max causing the temps to be lower than they should.

LilJoka

Hey fellas, can you cast your very experienced eyes over the following build and tell me if anything is sticking out horribly as a poor choice?

background, my nephew wants a gaming PC and he is obviously budgetted as teenagers tend to be.

I'm kind of gut instinct to recommend him head more of an i3 direction due to well, the future of AMD looking pretty shit... but I have very good experience with AMD CPUs myself so...

Yeah this is not a very good build really. Try something like this

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($68.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $593.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-20 10:32 EDT-0400

Chitown B

my mobo keeps saying my 4690K is 56 degrees no matter if I change overclock or fan settings. wtf? New setup with new mobo and processor. Is this a bug maybe?

Z97-E mITX Asrock

edit: ok I ran Prime95 and came out fine. All cores idle around 24 degrees. Apparently the CPUTIN temp is bugged in HWMonitor to output in F instead of C so it looks high.

Chinbo37

I helped my friend build his first gaming PC in 20 years. Previously he had been gaming on consoles and specifically the xbox 360.

He has a GTX 980 and an i7 he also has a Qinx monitor 1440p and 60 hz. What game shoudl I recommend for him to "test" his system a bit? I woudl recommend Witcher 3 but he didnt play the first 2 and I am sure he wont want to jump in mid series.

Any other ideas?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I helped my friend build his first gaming PC in 20 years. Previously he had been gaming on consoles and specifically the xbox 360.

He has a GTX 980 and an i7 he also has a Qinx monitor 1440p and 60 hz. What game shoudl I recommend for him to "test" his system a bit? I woudl recommend Witcher 3 but he didnt play the first 2 and I am sure he wont want to jump in mid series.

Any other ideas?
Get dat Crysis 3

Any other ideas?
I would suggest he tried The Wind Waker on Dolphin.
And after that, Child of Light and Crysis 3 like the Gaffer above me mentioned.

Xeroblade

Hello PC Gaf, I am currently looking to upgrade my GPU. What is the best bang for buck when looking for a video card? I am leaning towards this one Here. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Vladmiris

I want to build a beast of a PC and currently have this build picked out:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zL7dYJ

The only thing I worry about is the i7 being only four cores...I think more games will make use of 8 core CPUs. Is that a baseless concern?

Is there anything glaring that anyone here sees that will impact my performance dramatically? Lower price for similar performance is always good too!

Thanks in advance!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Ehhh. Everything is questionable sans GPU/Case/DVD. Joka's build above is much better or something similar to OP build.
Hello PC Gaf, I am currently looking to upgrade my GPU. What is the best bang for buck when looking for a video card? I am leaning towards this one Here. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
290 hands down. The 980 isn't so bad if you are going to buy Witcher 3.

Is there anything glaring that anyone here sees that will impact my performance dramatically? Lower price for similar performance is always good too!

Thanks in advance!
I'd get MX100 over BX100. BX being newer and 'cheaper' tech.
Don't buy Madcatz shit, get a real mechanical keyboard. If you need buttons you can look at the G710+
Instead of the Cloud headset get real headphones and attach a ModMic 4.0 to them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Do you mean this one Here? I would rather stay with nvidia but that price is lovely. and it seems to have better specs then the 980 i linked to. Does it all come down to preference?
Personally if I was footing that much (and I'm getting Witcher 3) I'd go with a 980. Value wise nothing comes close to $230-$260 290's right now. I just got rid of two since I don't need the power now and reference fans were loud as hell and it dumped heat in my room.

Comes down to how much you prefer one over the other and how much importance you place on nVidia's non-performance value / better day 0 support.

Xeroblade

Personally if I was footing that much (and I'm getting Witcher 3) I'd go with a 980. Value wise nothing comes close to $230-$260 290's right now. I just got rid of two since I don't need the power now and reference fans were loud as hell and it dumped heat in my room.

Comes down to how much you prefer one over the other and how much importance you place on nVidia's non-performance value / better day 0 support.

Thanks for the info man, the witcher 3 bonus is nice too. I will probably go with that.

j-wood

So I just upgraded from a GTX 660 to a GTX 970 (the EVGA with the 2.0 cooler). I love the card, but I'm curious if my power supply is still good enough.

I have this PSU (it only has 1 8pin connector, so I had to use the molex to 6pin adaptor that came with my card).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

The rest of my build is as follows:

i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
8GB of DDR 3 (4 2GB modules)
DVD Burner
Asrock p67 Extremem4 motherboard
1 7200pm HDD
1 SSD
Antec case with 6 120mm fans, and 1 200mm fan

Nothing is overclocked. So the main question is, will I be maxing out my psu? I've never had a graphics card that required 2 pin connectors for power.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I just upgraded from a GTX 660 to a GTX 970 (the EVGA with the 2.0 cooler). I love the card, but I'm curious if my power supply is still good enough.

I have this PSU (it only has 1 8pin connector, so I had to use the molex to 6pin adaptor that came with my card).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

The rest of my build is as follows:

i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
8GB of DDR 3 (4 2GB modules)
DVD Burner
Asrock p67 Extremem4 motherboard
1 7200pm HDD
1 SSD
Antec case with 6 120mm fans, and 1 200mm fan

Nothing is overclocked. So the main question is, will I be maxing out my psu? I've never had a graphics card that required 2 pin connectors for power.
You are fine. BP550 has a 6 and a 6+2, you shouldn't need a molex adapter. Go hunt in the bag for another PCI-E power cable.

j-wood

You are fine. BP550 has a 6 and a 6+2, you shouldn't need a molex adapter. Go hunt in the bag for another PCI-E power cable.

Oh wow you are right. Though I wonder, I did buy that psu in 2011, hopefully it wasn't updated to come with the extra 6pin. I don't remember it coming with an extra 6pin cable, right now I have the 6+2 plugged in. I'll check when I get home though. But the back of the PSU only has 1 red block for the pci-e plug. Can the normal 6pin go in a regular slot?

zeelman

The original model EVGA GTX 970s have subpar coolers, correct? If I get one of 2.0 versions (like this one) I should be okay, right? I'm asking because the GTX 460 and 660 I have from them were good to me and I would hate to switch brands if I don't have to.

e90Mark

The only thing I worry about is the i7 being only four cores...I think more games will make use of 8 core CPUs. Is that a baseless concern?

Thanks in advance!

Quad with HT is more than enough for gaming. You'll be good with the 4790k.

I would try using this to remove the drivers in Safe Mode, reboot, and try installing the drivers again.

Thanks for the link, tried it. Windows installs it's standard drivers after that and the crashes are not there anymore. The card needs its Nvidia drivers though to work to it's full extend and after installing the latest drivers, another crash and recovery, after starting firefox and MSI afterburner the crashes/recoveries start going up in numbers until they come every 5-6 seconds again.
MSI shows GPU temps of 45 degree without doing anything except for regular spikes to zero, probably indicating the crashes/recoveries that way.
Funny side-detail, when the screensaver kicks in the crashes don't seem to happen, or they happen in the background and do not affect the screensaver for some reason.

Whatever the Nvidia drivers are accessing is probably damaged. I wouldn't know what else to do, set the power management to "prefer high performance" as someone seemed to resolve his problems like that, didn't work for me.

I'm hesitant to go and buy 970 to bridge the time until the 980ti cards show up but I feel like I have no choice, maybe I'll try an AMD GPU as I'm scared I even get these crashes with a brand new GPU because it is Nvidia related?

Well, bummer!

EDIT: I'm calling bullshit and I'm in disbelief...

For the unprobable case you are reading this DearJules from the TomsHardware website spread the word I don't know why but what you suggestet seems to be working for me.

Changing the PCI lane in BIOS from 1 to 2 fixed the driver crashing/recovery cycle, I have no Idea why that fixes the problem and why this problem turned up after nearly 2 years out of nowhere, but I'm glad it does. What could this mean? Hopefully it doesn't show up again, not sure if another change in BIOS will fix it again and then running out of options would be bad!

I didn't change the actual physical slot/position for the card, I just changed the bios setting (that worked flawlessly before) ....so is that a software or an hardware thing?

Whatever it is, I found tons of people on the net that had the same problem and people going crazy looking for an answer. This seems to do it.

Without googling hard I would have bought another GPU and would have run into the same problem again.

RGM79

The original model EVGA GTX 970s have subpar coolers, correct? If I get one of 2.0 versions (like this one) I should be okay, right? I'm asking because the GTX 460 and 660 I have from them were good to me and I would hate to switch brands if I don't have to.

Yes, the first ones did have poorly designed and built coolers. There's no problem now with EVGA GTX 970 coolers now, though, they all have excellent coolers. The only issue was that some of them had poorly designed ACX 1.0 coolers and those are no longer even available for purchase (unless you buy it used from someone who got one early). All of the available models now are ACX 2.0 or 2.0+.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah this is not a very good build really. Try something like this

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($68.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $593.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-20 10:32 EDT-0400

thanks mate, much obliged. I'm trying to help out where possible but I'm an overworked IT guy in the business sector right now and the relative spare time I have gets pushed towards the extreme low powered retropie cab I'm trying to build! wrong end of the scale to help him out. we'll have a read up and check the budget thanks again.

thanks mate, much obliged. I'm trying to help out where possible but I'm an overworked IT guy in the business sector right now and the relative spare time I have gets pushed towards the extreme low powered retropie cab I'm trying to build! wrong end of the scale to help him out. we'll have a read up and check the budget thanks again.

If you happen to have a Microcenter nearby I'd cross check some prices. You wouldn't believe the savings on CPU/MB bundles and for whatever reason pcpart doesn't adjust the price accordingly.

SRG01

Okay, final question guys: Which case is better: The Thermaltake SD1 or the Thermaltake V21? The SD1 has optical drive slots, but the V21 seems to have way better construction, better cable management, and about $20 less.

I'm sure that most people here would recommend the V21, but just to make sure that I'm not going crazy.

Oh and no, my CPU has not shipped yet. Amazon has two days to ship or they'll officially be late with my order.

I moved my PC over to a 540 Air, this case is colossal but fun to build in.

A question, though. Right now I'm using a 212 Evo with a Jetflo fan on my 2500K at 4.4GHz but I have an Antec 650 AIO lying around from my wife's PC. Would I get any better cooling switching over to the Antec and using the Jetflo in a push/pull configuration, or is the 121 so close in performance that it doesn't matter? I couldn't find any direct comparisons between the two.

I also have a gentle typhoon 120mm pulled from my old case as well. I'm not sure which would work better on the rad between it and the jetflo.

Edit: Also, the 29UM67 finally appeared on Amazon but is out of stock. How long does it usually take for new monitors to become available?

What benchmarks?

Oh yeah, absolutely. Higher clocks yield more performance in CPU-bound applications.
I asked earlier about a PC configuration and wrote that I am not using any applications of that kind. I'm just gonna do browsing, movie watching and gaming. Gaming will be the most intensive thing I'll do tbh.
Just recently I read this http://www.techspot.com/review/972-intel-core-i3-vs-i5-vs-i7/ and while there were games which did better with i7s, the difference was much less than the price difference made it worth to me. Here an example.

I searched quickly but can't find a nice benchmark where they "downclocked" a CPU from 3,5 to 2,5GHZ and only when going lower than 3GHz did the framerates go down. It wrote that the GPU was well fed even at lower clocks. Can't find the source though, urgh.

I read so many articles lately though and think an i5 4690 is the best option for me.

Well, the last day has been fun. Read so many articles and whatnot.

I am confident as it gets on what hardware-configuration is best for my needs and wallet :)

Thanks for all your tips nice people of tech-gaf!

CPU: i5 4690 3,5GHZ
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO
MOBO: MSI Z97 PC Mate
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP schwarz DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit
Storage: 1000GB WD Blue WD10EZEX 64MB
Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 2.5"
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming
Case: ATX-Midi Cooler Master Elite 430
PSU: 530 Watt Thermaltake Hamburg
Total: 1027€

This is what I will get. I checked all parts and I'm posting them here only for the off-chance of others seeing some big mistakes or something like that.

I am otherwise happy with it.

SRG01

Ok, screw it, I'm getting the V21. A lot of reviews have said that the SD1 has no tie-off points so that's pretty much a deal-breaker.

BasicMath

Wait, what? And here I thought quad channel could only be done in multiples of 4. Any of you have experience with 6 DIMMs in quad channel mode?

t7YUskF.jpg

RGM79

LowParry

I think I'm missing something. I'm using a Corsair TX650W PSU and getting my Asus GTX 970 tomorrow. I need an 8 pin connector but only seeing that I have the 2 x 6 types. Do I need an adapter for the 8 pin?

I think I'm missing something. I'm using a Corsair TX650W PSU and getting my Asus GTX 970 tomorrow. I need an 8 pin connector but only seeing that I have the 2 x 6 types. Do I need an adapter for the 8 pin?

8 pin connector means 6+2. There should be a 2 pin connector on/near your 6 pin connector so you can use them as an 8 pin connector.

LowParry

Gemüsepizza;160935892 said:
8 pin connector means 6+2. There should be a 2 pin connector on/near your 6 pin connector which you can use as an 8 pin connector.

Ah gotcha. Eeesh. I'm behind on my tech. I'm good then. Thanks.

RGM79

The Asus Strix does not come with any adaptors. Which version of the TX650 do you have? There are two or three different models of TX650. According to this SPCR review of the 2008 era Seasonic-designed Corsair-branded TX650, it has two 6+2 pin GPU power cables.

Edit: Oh, you mistook the 6+2 as being 6 pin only. Nevermind, then.

XBP

I think this is a Haswell E CPU, therefore MSI AB is using the wrong TJ Max causing the temps to be lower than they should.

Yes, its a 5820k. I guess I'll go with hwmonitor numbers then. Hopefully they fix the issue in afterburner in a new release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom